Menu

I caused a slight ruckus at the pediatricians office.

My 11 year old had her annual check up yesterday. She likes our male pediatrician but for annual exams she prefers to see a woman. The female pediatrician she was suppose to see decided not to return after maternity leave so we had to reschedule and ended up seeing someone we've never met in a different office than the one we normally go to.

Anyway, my daughter is pretty modest and doesn't want anyone in the room. We agreed that I would stay for the beginning to talk to the doctor and then leave the room for the exam. When the nurse came in, she thought it was the doctor and started ushering her siblings and I out of the room. I reminded her that we would leave for the exam but I still needed to talk to the doctor first (to make sure they didn't do routine vaccinations, gave her the one correct vaccine I wanted which was Td not Tdap). The nurse then said, "Don't worry, the doctor will kick you out."

Um...no. No she won't kick me out. I replied, "I'm leaving the room because my daughter asked me to, not because the doctor will 'kick me out'".

Anyway, she said she would get the written guidelines for when they require parents to leave and what information could be shared with the parents, etc. She left the room after giving DD a gown to change into and let her use an adjacent room for changing since she didn't want to change in front of her brothers. She didn't even know how to put the gown on and ended up coming to get me for help. She didn't know what she would have done if I hadn't been around to help.

So...the pediatrician came in shortly after that and immediately apologized for the nurse who misspoke. She explained that at 11 there was no need for the parent to leave and she wouldn't be kicking me out. We had a discussion on her interpretation of the HIPPA laws and told me that the only information that she had to keep just between her and the patient was that pertaining to sex and mental health. But even then, she encourages to child to involve the parent with those issues since there are better outcomes when the parent is involved most of the time.

After our discussion, she asked DD all kinds of questions like if she was happy with her height and weight, how she felt regularly (happy/sad), did she feel she had enough friends, did she have any interests she enjoyed, etc. I was there for all of it. DD seemed a bit unsure of how to answer. She has no body issues at all so questions about how she felt about her height and weight seemed weird to her.

After the exam, the pediatrician came out to the waiting room and got me. She told me all was fine and that I had nothing to worry about; DD was the most well-adjusted 11 year old she's met.

It was interesting to see how that played out. My DD ended up liking her and wants to see her in the future. I think my first run in with the HIPPA laws worked out ok.

No, she didn't. She was very nice and reasonable. I did give my daughter the privacy she requested.

I need to find a dentist for the kids. Our previous dentist was awesome but he sold the practice to another dentist who chose to have a no parents in the treatment area policy. She didn't inform us before our first appointment with her. I was able to be in the treatment room that first visit but she sat me behind my child where I couldn't see what was going on. The appointment was for pulling two lose teeth (my child has a huge phobia for pulling teeth), and the dentist decided to pull a third without discussing it with me first. We've never gone back and never will.

Interesting. I've never been to a ped dentist that didn't welcome me back with my kids. :confused:

Joann, I'm curious about the exam part. And you can PM me if you want to. My dd is turning 11 next month and I thought about not going. She's very healthy and in no need for immunizations that I am aware of. (I better check on that) My daughter is VERY modest. Like HYPER-modest and shy. I can't imagine her having any kind of an exam, like in a gown...nekkid. I think she might turn inside out. I was thinking I wouldn't take her because of this, but obviously she has to get past this at some point. The doc we see is male, but my dd has pretty much always seen his wife, who is his NP. She's also very quiet and I think dd trusts her. But they have never done a physical exam on dd. They check DSs bits but have never, oh maybe beyond 2yo, checked dd.

Can someone advise what's involved in an exam for an 11 yo. DD doesn't really know what s3x is yet, but we have discussed some things and she knows about periods, of course. She knows all about body changes and hormones. Do they do a br3ast exam? Even I'VE never seen those! Will they do a pubic exam? Oh, my. My poor, poor shy dd. This will not go over well...:chillpill:

Maybe my doc doesn't even do that since she never has. The beloved nurse that was there for over 8 years is now gone, or I'd just call her and find out the story. I guess I should just call the NP and discuss before I make an appointment. I don't want dd to miss an important exam in her development by not taking her. I doubt she would want me to leave the room.

:confused::willy_nilly::svengo:

My 11 year old had her annual check up yesterday. She likes our male pediatrician but for annual exams she prefers to see a woman. The female pediatrician she was suppose to see decided not to return after maternity leave so we had to reschedule and ended up seeing someone we've never met in a different office than the one we normally go to.

Anyway, my daughter is pretty modest and doesn't want anyone in the room. We agreed that I would stay for the beginning to talk to the doctor and then leave the room for the exam. When the nurse came in, she thought it was the doctor and started ushering her siblings and I out of the room. I reminded her that we would leave for the exam but I still needed to talk to the doctor first (to make sure they didn't do routine vaccinations, gave her the one correct vaccine I wanted which was Td not Tdap). The nurse then said, "Don't worry, the doctor will kick you out."

Um...no. No she won't kick me out. I replied, "I'm leaving the room because my daughter asked me to, not because the doctor will 'kick me out'".

Anyway, she said she would get the written guidelines for when they require parents to leave and what information could be shared with the parents, etc. She left the room after giving DD a gown to change into and let her use an adjacent room for changing since she didn't want to change in front of her brothers. She didn't even know how to put the gown on and ended up coming to get me for help. She didn't know what she would have done if I hadn't been around to help.

So...the pediatrician came in shortly after that and immediately apologized for the nurse who misspoke. She explained that at 11 there was no need for the parent to leave and she wouldn't be kicking me out. We had a discussion on her interpretation of the HIPPA laws and told me that the only information that she had to keep just between her and the patient was that pertaining to sex and mental health. But even then, she encourages to child to involve the parent with those issues since there are better outcomes when the parent is involved most of the time.

After our discussion, she asked DD all kinds of questions like if she was happy with her height and weight, how she felt regularly (happy/sad), did she feel she had enough friends, did she have any interests she enjoyed, etc. I was there for all of it. DD seemed a bit unsure of how to answer. She has no body issues at all so questions about how she felt about her height and weight seemed weird to her.

After the exam, the pediatrician came out to the waiting room and got me. She told me all was fine and that I had nothing to worry about; DD was the most well-adjusted 11 year old she's met.

It was interesting to see how that played out. My DD ended up liking her and wants to see her in the future. I think my first run in with the HIPPA laws worked out ok.

My dd14 just got all those "mental health" questions at her physical and she thought they were completely bizarre. She said later, "She asked me if I had many friends?!" Personally, my spine stiffened on the questionaire, which included, "Does anyone in your household own a gun?" I was tempted to write in the margin, "Yes, but we don't regularly shoot people with it." :glare: Could've added, "Only people who invade our privacy..." ;)

My daughter said it was mostly listening to her heart, feeling her belly, stuff like that. She didn't do much looking at privates and no breast exam. Of course, it probably varies by doctor. I know our regular pediatrician does a quick peak into the labia for girls and a quick feel of the of the boys. It's really fast, as in seconds fast.

Wow, sex and mental health, only between her dr and her? For someone who is 11?

What's wrong with this picture? I sort of find those questions a little personal; not only for a non-family member to ask them, but to do so without a parent. Where does physicals start and stop? And who are you that you can ask dd such questions, even the ones Quill mentioned.

Oh yeah. I forget....it takes a village.

Edited by alilac

I am very thankful for our homeschooling dad doctor! He asks ME about stuff rather than asking them.

This last visit he did ask what filters we had on our computer, which I thought was a good question.

He didn't ask about friends that I recall, although we did talk about some of the social activities they are involved with like boyscouts and our homeschool group. He may have been asking for social purposes, but I always thought he was just curious since his wife homeschools too.

Dawn

Personally, my spine stiffened on the questionaire, which included, "Does anyone in your household own a gun?" I was tempted to write in the margin, "Yes, but we don't regularly shoot people with it." :glare: Could've added, "Only people who invade our privacy..." ;)

:lol::lol::iagree: That really is no business of the doctors' and there is no way I would ever answer if it came to that.

ETA: Things like these sorts of issues with daughters and doctors make me go back and forth about if I really want a daughter or stick with my boys...

Edited by theYoungerMrsWarde

At 11 my DD is due a chicken pox booster, menengitis, and tetnus. Then there is the HPV vaccine series that they are pushing. Won't be getting that one....

Never even considered that a doc would put an 11 year old in a gown and do a private physical. I don't think so!

At 11 my DD is due a chicken pox booster, menengitis, and tetnus. Then there is the HPV vaccine series that they are pushing. Won't be getting that one....

Never even considered that a doc would put an 11 year old in a gown and do a private physical. I don't think so!

I think pediatricians have gone a little crazy. This is one of the reasons we switched to a family practice dr. this year. We are all more comfortable now.:)

Bravo! That took courage and outrage to speak up like that. I'm glad you did! I would have, I hope!

But, none of my children have had private exams until my son was 12. My three dd will have me in the room. I want to hear the questions and answers and protect them.

Yes, the ped takes a quick peek at labia, but a peek, not a touch and it is fast. But, my girls are still very embarrassed. They are in gowns and underwear.

Our ped just retired. He and I and the kids all cried at the last exam. A good ped is worth the searching.

KUDOS to you!

She rattled off three vaccinations, I think, until she noticed in our file that we didn't do any vaccines. At that point, I had to pipe up and tell her we wanted to do the Td vaccine and stress that I wanted no P in there.

Interesting. I've never been to a ped dentist that didn't welcome me back with my kids. :confused:

Joann, I'm curious about the exam part. And you can PM me if you want to. My dd is turning 11 next month and I thought about not going. She's very healthy and in no need for immunizations that I am aware of. (I better check on that) My daughter is VERY modest. Like HYPER-modest and shy. I can't imagine her having any kind of an exam, like in a gown...nekkid. I think she might turn inside out. I was thinking I wouldn't take her because of this, but obviously she has to get past this at some point. The doc we see is male, but my dd has pretty much always seen his wife, who is his NP. She's also very quiet and I think dd trusts her. But they have never done a physical exam on dd. They check DSs bits but have never, oh maybe beyond 2yo, checked dd.

Can someone advise what's involved in an exam for an 11 yo. DD doesn't really know what s3x is yet, but we have discussed some things and she knows about periods, of course. She knows all about body changes and hormones. Do they do a br3ast exam? Even I'VE never seen those! Will they do a pubic exam? Oh, my. My poor, poor shy dd. This will not go over well...:chillpill:

Maybe my doc doesn't even do that since she never has. The beloved nurse that was there for over 8 years is now gone, or I'd just call her and find out the story. I guess I should just call the NP and discuss before I make an appointment. I don't want dd to miss an important exam in her development by not taking her. I doubt she would want me to leave the room.

:confused::willy_nilly::svengo:

Not to stir the pot.. but I'm wondering why you feel like your dd has to get over being modest and shy about getting undressed around strangers? To me that seems like a good thing. She can get over it when she gets married :D.

As to the missing an important exam.. my kids haven't been to the dr. since they finished their shots at 24 months unless they've been sick or I have a concern. I could be in the wrong here, so RNs speak up, but what are they looking for that is so important that I wouldn't notice signs of? I have no intention of taking my kids in for physicals unless they're required for sports or something.

We live in CA and here once the kids turn 12 the parents DO get kicked out. I'm not allowed access to their medical records or anything. Really REALLY makes me mad. That could be one reason I won't take them in unless I have to. :glare:

I really dislike the individual interpretation of HIPPA.

In regard to the post above, if you truly are prohibited from entering and receiving medical info, I would demand that my child (b/c at 12 they are STILL children) sign a Release Of Information, allowing me to be informed.

In my former life, I was a phone triage nurse in an ob/gyn office. We saw many young patients. Parents would call wanting to be told and I couldn't tell them. And, I HATED it!!!! But, I told them, what I stated above and almost all of their daughters came in and filled one out and then I could talk to their mom. Most just were never given the option and had no idea the rules were this strict.

I even make my husband fill one out every year at his office. Not because he may withold info but b/c he doesn't understand half of what his dr. tells him!

I've told dd 17, for the last few years, that she needs to be ready to tell the doctor she wants me in the room. I figured if we ran into any trouble she should look confident. We've been prepared but never have been asked. :) I always tell her she can go in alone just to see the look she gives me. :lol:

This is so strange to me. Are parents asked to leave the room only for exams, or for any doctor visit? I have Kaiser and I have never been asked to leave the room, not even for my oldest dd. BTW, she is 19 and is still required to be seen by the pediatrician. She can't switch to adult medicine until she is 21.

This is so strange to me. Are parents asked to leave the room only for exams, or for any doctor visit? I have Kaiser and I have never been asked to leave the room, not even for my oldest dd. BTW, she is 19 and is still required to be seen by the pediatrician. She can't switch to adult medicine until she is 21.

I don't have Kaiser, but my oldest dd is 18 and has always asked that I be in the room durng her exams at our practice. This has never been questioned.

Edited by LibraryLover

BSmith,

I just took my kids after a few years of no well checks. One child has hypothyroidism and the other may also have an issue that I would not have been able to diagnose on my own. I thought my kids were healthy, and I would not have known without these check-ups and lab work.

I kind of like the idea of DD having private time with her ped when she hits the pre-teen years (10? 11?) and beyond. She may have questions or worries that she's too embarrassed to discuss with me. Sometimes it's easier to talk to a professional. I also think the mental health questions are good. Sometimes an objective 3rd party is able to pick up on behaviors or attitudes that I've gotten used to or explained away.

Also, thanks to whoever mentioned having her sign a release of information form when she turns 12 (we still have a few years to go). It's absolutely INSANE that a doctor couldn't tell me everything about my (still) minor child. Crazy.

Golly, I don't ever recall running into any of this with ds. I was always in there with him, even when he was just going in for possible ear infection - last time he was 15 or so.

And I don't even know what a Td vaccine is...good thing I don't have any young children anymore. I am clearly out of the mommy loop. :001_smile:

I really dislike the individual interpretation of HIPPA.

In regard to the post above, if you truly are prohibited from entering and receiving medical info, I would demand that my child (b/c at 12 they are STILL children) sign a Release Of Information, allowing me to be informed.

In my former life, I was a phone triage nurse in an ob/gyn office. We saw many young patients. Parents would call wanting to be told and I couldn't tell them. And, I HATED it!!!! But, I told them, what I stated above and almost all of their daughters came in and filled one out and then I could talk to their mom. Most just were never given the option and had no idea the rules were this strict.

I even make my husband fill one out every year at his office. Not because he may withold info but b/c he doesn't understand half of what his dr. tells him!

:iagree: Our office (family practice) asked us if we wanted to do this, when they asked if we wanted the dr to be able to get our records from the local hospital.

I am always shocked and amazed every time I read on this forum about what doctors in America do. I have no knowledge of anyone in Australia who has had to have this kind of examination as a child or adult. The very first time I had a physical examination by a doctor was when I was 8 months pregnant. Mind you, most people in Australia only go to the doctor if they are sick. who would want to go if they were feeling well?

I think pediatricians have gone a little crazy. This is one of the reasons we switched to a family practice dr. this year. We are all more comfortable now.:)

That's why we go to a family doctor, too. I have said it before: many pedatricians act like they own your children and are letting yo borrow them.

BSmith,

I just took my kids after a few years of no well checks. One child has hypothyroidism and the other may also have an issue that I would not have been able to diagnose on my own. I thought my kids were healthy, and I would not have known without these check-ups and lab work.

My family doctor found our dd's scoliosis. I would not have noticed it in time to properly care for her. There have been threads here before about well checks with many people posting about the things that were found at well checks and how they were glad they went.

As to the OP, my family doctor wouldn't make me leave, but she doesn't allow siblings in the room once they are about 10 or so.

I am in the room with my girls the whole time and even at 14 and 15 it is just a quick peek check up and they keep their clothes on the whole time. I might turn around at the key moment but dont' leave the room.

Even with my 23ds (he is mentally impaired) I am in the room the whole time except for the "cough" part of the exam where I just step outside the room for the 1 minute and then go right back in.

I am in the room with my girls the whole time and even at 14 and 15 it is just a quick peek check up and they keep their clothes on the whole time. I might turn around at the key moment but dont' leave the room.

I still go in with my 15 yo, too, and I plan to at least until she is 18. She stays dressed at her well-checks, as do I. We only do the gown thing at the OB/GYN (me) and the orthopedist (her.)

My dd14 just got all those "mental health" questions at her physical and she thought they were completely bizarre. She said later, "She asked me if I had many friends?!" Personally, my spine stiffened on the questionaire, which included, "Does anyone in your household own a gun?" I was tempted to write in the margin, "Yes, but we don't regularly shoot people with it." :glare: Could've added, "Only people who invade our privacy..." ;)

The thing that bothers me about all of this -- and I do recognize that children in bad situations need someone keeping track of their lives -- is that doctors are essentially highly, highly trained car mechanics of our bodies.

Great. I love a good doctor.

But they're NOT trained in mental health issues -- unless it's a psychiatrist. So it's funny to me that they've gone so beyond their scope to be discussing friends and guns and happiness. That's not their training.

But. . . for kids who have troubled lives I am happy that someone in society is asking questions and talking to them. It gives these kids a door if they need help.

Alley

Mind you, most people in Australia only go to the doctor if they are sick. who would want to go if they were feeling well?

People who want to remain feeling well!

I go to the dermatologist several times a year due to being at high risk for melanoma for a head to toe skin check. I get regular pap smears due to past cervical dysplasia. My dh has a family history of high blood pressure and high cholesterol leading to heart attacks, strokes and early death. Diabetes is rampant in both of our families. So is breast cancer.

I don't know why so many people eschew preventative care. :confused:

People who want to remain feeling well!

I go to the dermatologist several times a year due to being at high risk for melanoma for a head to toe skin check. I get regular pap smears due to past cervical dysplasia. My dh has a family history of high blood pressure and high cholesterol leading to heart attacks, strokes and early death. Diabetes is rampant in both of our families. So is breast cancer.

I don't know why so many people eschew preventative care. :confused:

:iagree: x 100.

I definitely go to the obgyn for regular Pap and mammograms.

Alley

Alley, what those doctors are looking for are OBVIOUS signs of mental distress. And office doctors are trained for that. My DH is an internist hospitalist and although he's a specialist of the well, "internals" (between head and the naughty bits) :) , he can recognize mental issues and then calls in the mental health calvary. They have be trained like this or how would then know when to ask for more serious evaluation?

It is unbelievable the kids who answer, "No friends." :(

And then at that point, hopefully some help will be gotten.

I do get uncomfortable at the line between mental health and internal medicine as it pertains to elder care though. I'm not entirely certain my parents have benefited from their internist prescribing some of their mental health drugs. But I also understand that many elderly people benefit from the drugs and that if we sent every depressed elderly person to a shrink, we'd have a LOT of shrinks collapsing from fatigue everywhere.

I think you'd have to be a bit of a nut yourself if you put your CHILD on many drugs relating to the brain without the supervision of a pediatric psychiatrist though.

Alley, what those doctors are looking for are OBVIOUS signs of mental distress. And office doctors are trained for that. My DH is an internist hospitalist and although he's a specialist of the well, "internals" (between head and the naughty bits) :) , he can recognize mental issues and then calls in the mental health calvary. They have be trained like this or how would then know when to ask for more serious evaluation?

It is unbelievable the kids who answer, "No friends." :(

And then at that point, hopefully some help will be gotten.

I do get uncomfortable at the line between mental health and internal medicine as it pertains to elder care though. I'm not entirely certain my parents have benefited from their internist prescribing some of their mental health drugs. But I also understand that many elderly people benefit from the drugs and that if we sent every depressed elderly person to a shrink, we'd have a LOT of shrinks collapsing from fatigue everywhere.

I think you'd have to be a bit of a nut yourself if you put your CHILD on many drugs relating to the brain without the supervision of a pediatric psychiatrist though.

Thanks Jennifer, now I see. The doctors are trained to be the "first line of defense" for kids in trouble.

And I agree wholeheartedly with you that people should be seen by a specialist if they're really dipping into mental health meds.

Alley

Until my dd turns 18, I shall be in the room with her and the [female] pediatrician, laws or no laws. Only if dd herself requests me to leave shall I do so.

Already dd (age 12) has heard me politely, but non-negotiably, inform the pediatrician that the Gardasil vaccine will not be administered to dd while she is a minor child under my care. She needs to see for herself herself how doctors act in situations where opposing opinions correctly can apply.

Thanks Jennifer, now I see. The doctors are trained to be the "first line of defense" for kids in trouble.

And I agree wholeheartedly with you that people should be seen by a specialist if they're really dipping into mental health meds.

Alley

You got it. Although I will say that DH has an uncanny ability to diagnose mental health stuff. He was SPOT ON with my mother after a 15 minute conversation and we still laugh about it. I have learned to take his advice when he gently says, "That person's not right!"

ETA: Things like these sorts of issues with daughters and doctors make me go back and forth about if I really want a daughter or stick with my boys...

Having boys is not any easier. I have to watch like a hawk if a Dr. does a genital exam. I've found that many doctors (at least in the US) do not understand the correct care of an intact boy bit. Hands off thank-you-very-much. :glare:

My boys just had their physicals a couple weeks ago. The NP also asked the questions about friends and social life. She looked at me like :001_huh: when my 7 yr old couldn't name a best friend. He's 7. I think he'll grow up just fine if he doesn't have a "best" friend at 7. I felt like giving her a copy of "Hold on to Your Kids" just to reassure her.

Having boys is not any easier. I have to watch like a hawk if a Dr. does a genital exam. I've found that many doctors (at least in the US) do not understand the correct care of an intact boy bit. Hands off thank-you-very-much. :glare:

:iagree: I have to tell every doctor and nurse not to retract my sons. My baby just saw the nurse practitioner last week and when I said we don't want you to retract baby or touch his foreskin, she said "May I ask why?" and I told her it causes unnecessary pain and trauma and the skin will loosen and detach on its own over time, no need to force it. She then wanted to be sure we teach them when they're older to pull the foreskin back and clean. She seemed really confused by my refusal to retract now.

She also asked questions like where does baby sleep, which annoy me. I think pediatricians overstep into parenting and they don't get training in those areas in medical school and aren't qualified to give advice on those areas.

She also asked questions like where does baby sleep, which annoy me. I think pediatricians overstep into parenting and they don't get training in those areas in medical school and aren't qualified to give advice on those areas.

THIS is why I no longer do the pediatrician well child visits anymore. All the pediatricians in my area are part of one of two large groups. They have no individuality and have to agree with group decisions to join. They are both complete vaccinations or they won't see you. They ask questions that are MY business as a parent, not theirs.

I agree with you. They are overstepping their positions and I won't put up with it.

But they're NOT trained in mental health issues -- unless it's a psychiatrist. So it's funny to me that they've gone so beyond their scope to be discussing friends and guns and happiness. That's not their training.

Any decent ped can identify signs of depression, drug use, eating disorders, etc. They may not be qualified to treat the issue and would refer the child to a mental health specialist, but they're certainly qualified to spot the symptoms. The questions do no harm, but can potentially help a lot of kids, even kids in good families with loving parents.

I think it's dangerous to live in the bubble of "my child comes from a loving home therefore they're hiding nothing from me." I remember being a teenager. When I was in high school, some of my friends came from great homes and their loving parents had NO IDEA what was really going on (depression, dangerous behavior, one friend had bulimia).

I look at our wonderful pediatrician as an ally in my corner. She's not the enemy. She can ask away, even if the questions turn out to be silly or irrelevant.

And I don't even know what a Td vaccine is...good thing I don't have any young children anymore. I am clearly out of the mommy loop. :001_smile:

Td is the tetanus-diptheria vaccine without pertussis. It is used in older children and adults. Dt is the tetanus-diptheria vaccine without pertussis for younger children. There are no vaccines available that covers only tetanus, which is what I would have chosen had it been available. Td/Dt is the next best option. Normally, you would get DTP, DTaP, and Tdap, which are versions of the tetanus-diptheria-pertussis combination vaccine. Which you get depends on age and previous vaccine status.

It cannot possibly be legal to require a minor child to sign a consent form allowing the custodial parent(s) to have access to medical information.

I'm off to ask my CA friends about their experiences. . .

I don't understand it either. They can't legally do ANYTHING, so how can they hand over a legal right to their medical records? It's completely bizarre, but that's how it works. Mind you, my oldest isn't 12 yet so I don't have personal experience with it. That's just what the woman at the office explained to me.

Yikes, I'm not 100% sure I want my RAD daughter going through any mental health questions with her ped. without me in the room. I can't even IMAGINE what would come out of her mouth. I wonder if my Ped. has ever heard of RAD, guess I better ask, huh? DD will probably be 15 at her next check up...

Unless it's a new doctor who is unfamiliar with your child, why would your pediatrician not already know about your dd's RAD? Is it not a part of her health record? Maybe I'm naive, but I also can't possibly imagine that any pediatrician doesn't at least have a very basic, rudimentary understanding of various mental health issues that can affect children including (but not limited to) RAD.

Now, whether you're in the room when those questions are asked is an entirely different can of worms...

I checked with my friend who lives in CA, and her experiences matches what I expected -- that HIPPA does not apply until an individual turns 18. She is not barred in any way from her children's appointments nor from their medical records. I can't help thinking that the mom posting here with different experience was up against a severely uninformed doctor's office.