Menu

S/O: If you have a college degree, have you, do you, or will you use it?

Has your degree really collected dust?  

1. 1. Has your degree really collected dust?

• I have never used my degree in a professional job
    • I have used it some but not enough to have made it worth my while
    • I have used it, will use it, or am currently using it
    • I do not have a degree but wanted to take the poll
    • I am glad I went to college, but I never finished
    • I wish I wouldn't have bothered to go to college
    • I am glad I went to college and glad I finished
    • I wish I had gone another route (tech college or similar)
    • Other (just because)

I keep reading several on the other thread talk about how all their college degree did was collect dust and give them outrageous student loans.

This is NOT true at all for DH nor is it true for me. We both have used our degrees and even though I am not currently working, I plan to go back again at some point.

We also did NOT have huge student loans. Neither of us had student loans for undergrad but both of us took out some loans for grad school. I think I took out 10K and paid cash for the rest. DH took out $20K and paid cash for the rest.

Dawn

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a bachelor's degree in nursing. I have used it and will use it in the future for it's intended purpose but I also feel like I use it every day that I homeschool my kids. Obviously homeschooling doesn't require a degree but it's made it a whole lot easier for me, particularly with a soon-to-be high schooler.

One of the things I've noticed in my very limited experience with regard to education is a correlation with self-esteem later in life. I have friends with degrees, some advanced degrees, who yes miss working but know that they are capable of college level work. I have other friends who never went to college but became SAHMs and now they don't feel capable of ever doing college level work. They question their intelligence even. I never ever ever want that to be my daughter so yes, I will go in debt if need be so that she has a degree even if she never "uses" it.

I object to the concept of whether a degree is "worth it" or whether one "uses" it.

I have a degree. I worked for 10 years in a field that would not have been open to me without it. I never made a lot of money.

But, for me, going to college should not be about some kind of investment in future payback. It should be about getting an education, because that is a worthwhile thing to do.

College, try #1 was pretty much a total waste (dropped out the first semester of my second year to avoid flunking out). Thankfully, between scholarships, grants, and savings I hadn't taken out any loans. I did get a full-time job at the university as a result of my student job, which was a good thing, but I almost certainly could have gotten a job without this - this was back when a totally self-taught entry level high school graduate could get a well-paying, if not particularly secure, tech job. (Changed major once)

College #2 - Graduated with 2 associate's degrees which I've never really done anything with, but I had fun and it made me feel better about myself after my rather disastrous first time, and some of it was useful for #3, or may be helpful in the future. (Changed major 3 times)

College #3 - Got hooked into the idea of getting a Nursing degree. Was motivated, did much better in my classes than during either of my previous attempts, and got it done. Graduated. Between family stuff, moving, trouble getting my license transferred, and the bad job market overall, I have yet to get a job after more than a year, but I do really hope to sometime soon.

Hope to go back for #4 for a Bachelor's within the next several years.

I object to the concept of whether a degree is "worth it" or whether one "uses" it.

I have a degree. I worked for 10 years in a field that would not have been open to me without it. I never made a lot of money.

But, for me, going to college should not be about some kind of investment in future payback. It should be about getting an education, because that is a worthwhile thing to do.

I agree that education/learning is always worth it! College is not the only source though. I can honestly say that I have learned a heck of a lot more in my years since college than in all the years during college. Self motivated education - not for a class, not for a grade, not to impress a teacher (this was usually me :tongue_smilie:) - is, every bit, a legitimate education.

I see learning as a life long process. Sadly, I see college as something I did to satisfy an expectation.

I use what I learned from my degree all the time even though I don't have a professional job in that field.

I'm glad I went to college and I'm glad I earned my degree.

I don't feel college is necessary for everyone.

I have a BA in English, so I think I will eventually use it in some capacity. I currently own a photography business, so other than writing my marketing materials, I don't use my degree.

I will never regret getting though, that piece of paper is one of my greatest accomplishments.

Well, I agree with you, but I was basing my questions on the wording of the other thread.

Edited by DawnM

I think that the outrageous pace of the cost of a college eduction is the game changer. My decisions in the early 1980s are irrelevant to any decision today.

My dh and I both have advanced degrees. We've already talked about how there are only certain pursuits which we are willing to fund for our children, based upon the cost structure of higher education these days.

I've never used my degree but I'm glad I was able to go to college. I joke about it's a pretty piece of paper on my wall, but it's not like it has an expiration so I could use it at some point in time. Dh has used his. I will say that I'm glad that my college education was a gift from my parents. I would probably feel differently if I was still paying on a degree I wasn't using.

I have a degree, and I have used it. I was fortunate to have gone to college on scholarships and other financial aid (mostly scholarships), so I graduated with no student loans.

However, just because I have used my degree and am glad I went to college doesn't mean that I believe everyone should go to college.

I agree.

I agree that education/learning is always worth it! College is not the only source though. I can honestly say that I have learned a heck of a lot more in my years since college than in all the years during college. Self motivated education - not for a class, not for a grade, not to impress a teacher (this was usually me :tongue_smilie:) - is, every bit, a legitimate education.

I see learning as a life long process. Sadly, I see college as something I did to satisfy an expectation.

I agree with this as well. I was a perfectionist in school. I was the type who had to make 100s on tests, and I stressed greatly over it. As a result, I wasn't really able to enjoy learning while in school. However, I have learned a tremendous amount (and enjoyed doing so) since I've been out of school.

But there ARE less expensive options.

Unless my children really NEED a fancy name and high price tag, they have been told that they can live at home for free and attend the local 4 year college (there are a couple of options) and we will fund it. Anything beyond that, they have to cover the difference.

Our local CC is $1,600 per year and the local 4 year college tuition is $5,500 per year. Those costs are almost lower than the least expensive Kindergarden in the area! I am not kidding.

Dawn

I think that the outrageous pace of the cost of a college eduction is the game changer. My decisions in the early 1980s are irrelevant to any decision today.

My dh and I both have advanced degrees. We've already talked about how there are only certain pursuits which we are willing to fund for our children, based upon the cost structure of higher education these days.

I have a nursing degree that I paid for myself while working and raising my two oldest kids. I didn't have parents who were interested in helping me out in any way and I did have to take out quite a bit in student loans. I was not eligible for any assistance like food stamps while I was in college as I was told that my student loans counted as income (found out later that this was not true). I did not receive child support or child care assistance. It was tough to swing financially. I still have a large amount of student loan debt today.

I have worked as an RN, my top pay rate was $36/hr with no benefits as an agency nurse. Honestly, one of my daughters works in a popular nightclub/restaurant as a waitress and makes as much as I did and more in tips and a base hourly rate of $6/hr, (PLUS tips, figure that out to five dollars and usually more in a tip per table with at the very least five or six tables an hour turning over, plus more when she works the bar) but she doesn't have any student loans to worry about and hasn't had to worry about maintaining professional liability insurance or buying equipment like stethoscopes or scrubs, and she doesn't have to pay for a professional license or license renewal or worry about maintaining continuing ed credits to keep her licensure. My former co-workers at our local hospital make $28/hr plus benefits with over five years experience and a bachelor's degree. I know some places pay better for nurses but this is a small hospital in a small town with a lower cost of living.

Is it worth it? Well, if you really need the self-esteem boost to keep you out of therapy then maybe. Otherwise, heck no. Did I become 'personally enriched' at college? No, I had always read quite a bit and not just junk fiction. I didn't learn much there and I was pretty disappointed in how shallow most of the courses in my liberal arts core turned out to be.

Did I somehow develop socially? No, my social skills were already pretty well set from living my life. Did I enjoy stimulating discussions with peers late into the night over too many lattes? No, I had to get home to cook dinner for the kids, and anyway I did the 'stimulating discussions' on the meaning of life in my late adolescence anyway since I didn't know I wasn't supposed to have those kinds of intense discussions unless I was at college. My bad.

Overall, if I do go back to work I'm going to apply at the place my daughter works as a waitress. Better work environment with great music and less stress, plus I get to eat free too.

Edited by Rainefox

Really, this is what you think of those of us who not only went to college but are GLAD we went because we actually wanted to become and teacher or lawyer or doctor or accountant?

We just needed a self esteem boost?

Dawn

I have a nursing degree that I paid for myself while working and raising my two oldest kids. I didn't have parents who were interested in helping me out in any way and I did have to take out quite a bit in student loans. I was not eligible for any assistance like food stamps while I was in college as I was told that my student loans counted as income (found out later that this was not true). I did not receive child support or child care assistance. It was tough to swing financially. I still have a large amount of student loan debt today.

I have worked as an RN, my top pay rate was $36/hr with no benefits as an agency nurse. Honestly, one of my daughters works in a popular nightclub/restaurant as a waitress and makes as much as I did and more in tips and a base hourly rate of $6/hr, (PLUS tips, figure that out to five dollars and usually more in a tip per table with at the very least five or six tables an hour turning over, plus more when she works the bar) but she doesn't have any student loans to worry about and hasn't had to worry about maintaining professional liability insurance or buying equipment like stethoscopes or scrubs, and she doesn't have to pay for a professional license or license renewal or worry about maintaining continuing ed credits to keep her licensure. My former co-workers at our local hospital make $28/hr plus benefits with over five years experience and a bachelor's degree. I know some places pay better for nurses but this is a small hospital in a small town with a lower cost of living.

Is it worth it? Well, if you really need the self-esteem boost to keep you out of therapy then maybe. Otherwise, heck no. Did I become 'personally enriched' at college? No, I had always read quite a bit and not just junk fiction. I didn't learn much there and I was pretty disappointed in how shallow most of the courses in my liberal arts core turned out to be.

Did I somehow develop socially? No, my social skills were already pretty well set from living my life. Did I enjoy stimulating discussions with peers late into the night over too many lattes? No, I had to get home to cook dinner for the kids, and anyway I did the 'stimulating discussions' on the meaning of life in my late adolescence anyway since I didn't know I wasn't supposed to have those kinds of intense discussions unless I was at college. My bad.

Overall, if I do go back to work I'm going to apply at the place my daughter works as a waitress. Better work environment with great music and less stress, plus I get to eat free too.

I'm glad I went to college but I still haven't finished. I plan to, because I love learning and want a degree. I don't know if I'll use it and don't care. My educational goal isn't necessarily to use the degree, quite honestly. The goals for each of my children will be different, too, and since I'm not paying for their college educations, they can make the choice on what's "worth it" to them. :)

I have an M.B.A. (my undergrad degree is a B.S. in Business Administration).

For me, it was definitely worth it - I had an almost 20-year career before deciding to stay home and homeschool. I'm not as old as that makes me sound - I'm 39, but I worked full-time all the way through college, so I'm counting that time. ;)

The M.B.A. opened up doors and made advancement to higher-level positions possible that would not have been accessible to me with just my bachelor's degree. When I left my job two years ago, I was making a 6-figure salary. The degree paid for itself many times over.

I'm now running a part-time business from home - in this venture, I'd say that my previous work experience is much more valuable than my degree (but it may open up doors again down the road).

I agree with previous posters though that even if you don't "use" your degree in the traditional sense, it's still worthwhile - the knowledge, experience, and accomplishment are valuable in and of themselves.

Really, this is what you think of those of us who not only went to college but are GLAD we went because we actually wanted to become and teacher or lawyer or doctor or accountant?

We just needed a self esteem boost?

Dawn

Apparently you did not read back through the entire discussion, Dawn. A previous poster noted that in her experience people who did not go to college sometimes felt later in life that they were somehow less intelligent than people who did go to college, that their self-esteem had suffered from not pursuing a degree. I commented as I did because if out there somewhere someone had lower self-esteem from not going to college, then that person probably ought to look into taking some classes.

Why so defensive, Dawn? Unresolved issues with conforming?

I have a doctorate in physical chemistry. After I graduated, I had a post-doc position at UNC-Chapel Hill for two and a half years. I stopped working a month before my first child was born. Even though I'm not sure if I will ever use my degree in the traditional sense, I don't regret one bit of my education. And, of course, if or when I'm homeschooling my kids through high school, I doubt I'll feel the need to outsource chemistry and physics! :D

I have not used my college degree one bit. I just needed a degree, any 4 year degree, to go on in school. I took things I found "interesting" because my degree didn't matter. So, two quarters of Middle English, a class in psychopathology, 20 century social history, a class on the life and works of Paul Goodman, 19th century American poetry. It was fun!

I agree, and my parents felt that way, too.

I have never used my degree (in Music) directly, but I use my education, both formal and informal, all the time. It's surprising how relevant many of those G.E. classes turned out to be, both in employment and as a homeschool mom.

On the other hand, DH went to college, but never finished, and he works in his field (Computer Programming). He also uses his minor, Music. He sings with our local Barbershop Harmony Society chapter, and is assistant director.

Does everyone need college? No. If you have opportunity and motive, you'll be successful. College can create opportunity, but sometimes opportunity finds you elsewhere.

However, just because I have used my degree and am glad I went to college doesn't mean that I believe everyone should go to college.

:iagree:

I have a masters in statistics and worked for 6 years in the corporate world before being promoted to full-time mom. There is no way could I have been a statistician without all those years of school. Paid off my loans from the 4-year school faster than they were due (no loans from grad school being a teaching assistant).

Having said that, I don't think college is for everyone...and may even think it's not for most. My cousin majored in theater. He's now a wine salesman. Not in a production...in real life at the grocery store. I know, a sample size of one is in no way representative...but his $200K in school loans will take 50 years to pay off given his current salary.

Hmm, just to tangent, I don't think that waitressing is the "job to look forward to".

Don't get me wrong, I waitressed all through college, in a sports bar and that was my FAVORITE job ever! Fun people, music, all the sports, excellent money!!! Tips were about $100 on a bad night.

BUT that being said, I think while it can be a good paying job, there are no benefits, no vacations, no guaranteed money. It really is a job for the younger crowd. Honestly, if I see a older (say, 50's or older), I usually think that person must have a rough life. I have never seen a older waitress that looks like they are "well off" or even enjoying their life.

Waitressing is not for the faint of heart. On your feet and moving the entire time, carrying heavy trays, not spilling food/drink, servicing customers, and not always friendly customers. Cleaning up after slobs, sometimes being treated like dirt. Not what I want to be doing when I am in my 50's or older.

I am completely guessing, but I assume that most older people who waitress is because they don't have any other job options and that is the only way they can figure out how to pay bills. I am NOT judging, but just saying that I just don't think that the "hmm, college vs waitressing" thought process is, well a bit short-sighted. Yes, I love waitressing in college, quick easy money, late nights, flirting with customers....but now, in my late 30's....hmm, not the lifestyle I would want.

ps. I know that many mothers will often work as waitresses in the evenings as that works out well for DH"s to be home with children, and it brings in extra money. My own mother did this when I was a child. So not dissing doing what you have to do to make ends meet. My point is simply that I just don't think that waitressing is a long-term job goal, like pursuing a college degree can be.

I answered that I used my degree but feel like I should explain. To be s.pecific, I studied literature and PoliSci with a minor in Spanish.

Did I "use" my degree in my human services job? Well, not exactly in that I never had to scan a poem or translate Chaucer or explain why Marxism is different from fascism or explain dialectical materialism. But, I never would have been considered for that first interview without that degree.

There are far too many places who won't let you in the door without that degree. You may not 'use' the skills or knowledge directly in the position, but it will show that you (hopefully) have some basic skills and are smart enough to learn the job at hand. And after 4 years of college, if you don't know how to do something you will know where to look for the information and how to incorporate what you learned.

Nowadays, what I am mostly seeing are friends in their 40s who didn't get a 4 year degree being passed over again and again for promotion, or wanting to change careers but they can't because they don't have that degree. They lack options.

200k? OMG. :svengo:He has a very expensive brain.

Yeah. And very foolish parents. Shelled out $45K/year despite one semester being put on academic probation and then taking a 'semester off' for God only knows what reason. Absolutely ridiculous. But hey, he's smart in that he got someone to pay big bucks for him to party for 4 years!! :lol:

I graduated from college, and although I've had some interesting jobs since then, I didn't need my degree for them. (Although the people who hired me perhaps figured I'd be more capable to handle the jobs since I did have a degree. But I disagree.) I enjoyed college, but in hindsite, I don't think it was worth my parents' hard-earned money. I really didn't work very hard in college, and was not passionate about my major.

I consider my son, who took enough AP exams during his senior year in high school to qualify as a college sophomore, and then attended just one year of college after that and self-educated himself for the rest, much, MUCH more educated and wise than I was as a college graduate.

I have an MA in marriage and family counseling and guidance. I was expecting my oldest when I graduated, and my DH was in his medical residency. His hours were HORRIBLE, lol, so it took me staying home in order to actually have a family. ;)

Having said that, I use my degree every. single. day.:lol:

I won't say I "use" my undergraduate degree but I need it for my job. My graduate degree was extremely helpful for educational strategies, etc., but I wish I had pursued a graduate degree in English rather than education.

I have no regrets except for the student loans for graduate school. It was worth the investment, though.

I have a law degree and just a thesis to complete a Master of Public Health. I used my degree for a while before my first child was born. Off and on throughout the years I have practiced law, but I have not found the right job to be able to balance it all. I pray daily for the right opportunity. I am holding out hope that I will be able to use it in the future. No gaurantees.

I used my Business degree in business as an Office Manager and Management Consultant (the role I had just before ds#1).

I'm using my English degree now as an English Teacher. (And clearly I used it as a homeschooling mom, and a case could be made for having used the business one, too).

I used them both to get into graduate school. I won't use my undergraduate degrees in my career, but I will the life experience I had when I got them, and that I experienced while using them. :lol:

I think college is a great idea if you have a goal and can do it relatively debt free.

I didn't go to college, but I have 3 sisters who did. Two dropped out halfway through - so no degree to show for a mountain of debt that they are still paying off 10 years later.

The third didn't go to college until she was 22. Graduated 4 years later with a degree in computer programming and design. She was very frustrated trying to get a job in her field. She didn't have the work experience to get the jobs she really wanted but then when interviewing for the entry level positions she was told that she was overqualified for the job :glare: It was very discouraging for her. Happily, she didn't have too much in student loan or else it would have been way worse.

Yep, I have used it!

I worked really hard to get my degree. I went to university full time as a single parent. College was an amazing experience.

I used my degree in my former career field. I use it in my current one, although not as much.

I've actually used in homeschooling as well. I was a Criminology major and just finished putting together a forensic science curriculum, a loose one, for nest year's science with DD.

I have used my degree.

When my dh and I first graduated with a BS in Physics, there were NO jobs for freshouts because of the defense industry crash. We both went back for an MS in Physics. My first job after I graduated was teaching calculus-based physics at community college. That paid horribly though. I actually quit that job to work as a secretary with Kelly Girl. I did that for several months until I found a job as a failure analysis technician at a semiconductor design company. I worked there for several years until I got pregnant with my 2nd dd and then I stayed home with the kids.

I had no student loans. I had a scholarship that paid my tuition and fees (although they really weren't very high back then, especially since I was attending a state school). I had money saved up for the first year of room&board and worked full-time every summer and part-time during the schoolyear to pay for the rest. My parents contributed by giving me my grandmother's car (had been sitting in our driveway unused for 6 years) and paying for my car insurance and gas.

When my dh and I went back to school for our MS degrees, neither of us got loans. We both worked as graduate assistants on campus, which paid just enough for us to almost get by. We did finish school with about $4000 in credit card debt, but no school loans. We paid it all off in 2 years.

My dh has never used his degree. He went to work as a computer programmer (something he'd been doing on the side since he was 14yo). That's what he's always done.

I have a BA in history and $15k in student loans. I think I will use my degree in the future, but it's possible I will never work in something *directly* related to history. But even if I never do anything that requires a BA in my life, it will still have been worth every penny. I learned so much, my horizons were greatly expanded, and yes, it was a boost to my self-esteem. :001_smile: I couldn't have gone to a different college and gotten the same experience, or learned nearly as much, if only because no other school requires the exact same three philosophy classes from *every* person who attends and yet also allows them to major in subjects instead of just in the liberal arts!

If I had the chance to do it over, I would do it again in a heartbeat. The only thing I would change is that I would take more advantage of the social life.

I used my minor professionally (psychology), but not my specific degree (physics). That said, I am very glad I went to college. I enjoyed it and it was a huge turning point for me. The fact that I had a college degree was also what allowed me to get certain levels of jobs working with people with developmental disabilities that I would not have been able to otherwise.

Edited by KarenNC

I have a degree and am still lousily educated, yet I believe it was worth every cent I'm yet to repay for it. I would never have had the confidence to homeschool without it, it opened my mind to a lot of ideas that have made me who I am. And I met my hubby there, so it was worth it from that pov too :D

I shall be eternally grateful for the Australian way of working student loans. Without that, I'd either be still be working in a fruit shop to pay my way through or I'd have had to drop out.

Rosie

I went to college to get an education and I am glad that I did. I did not go to get a job but it turns out that I did need a degree to get the jobs I had. I didn't need my particular degree but did need some 4 year degree. I did take student loans and financially it was not worth it as I only worked 10 years. My hubby on the other hand, is in the computer industry and definitely needed his degree to get his job and to continue to rise in his field so his was worth it.

I have been a college student on and off for 23 years and have not yet earned a degree. I'm out for the summer but I'm supposed to return in the fall. I'm not sure I want to though. Truthfully, I have no intention of using the degree. I just like being a student. I just wish it didn't cost so much!

Since I can't vote twice, I'll toss in my DH's input. He has 2 degrees and he does work in his field of study.

I have a BA in Communications, in Radio/TV/Film. The degree launched me into a short career in marketing and PR for a Symphony Orchestra before I was promoted to full-time mom. I also had the opportunity to be a part of a Great Books program in college - the Classical Model at a college level - and every day that I homeschool I am thankful that I worked through it.

DH went for 2 years and did not finish. Despite limited income, we paid off our student loans (about 30K) in less than 5 years. Both of us consider the education worth it.

I'd like to go back and get an MFA at some point, but I think it's because I love to learn more than a need for extra income.

I have used my degree (BS in General Engineering and a major in German) has an Army officer stationed in Germany and continue to use it homeschooling (will not have to outsource any math or science.)

My grad degree (M.Ed in Elementary Ed) is totally useless. I learned nothing new in the entire program. I did get certified, but never actually taught in a school. (Well, it has helped fend off a few busy-bodies!)

Fortunately, I had no student loans: the Army paid for the first one and I had saved enough for the master's.

I keep reading several on the other thread talk about how all their college degree did was collect dust and give them outrageous student loans.

This is NOT true at all for DH nor is it true for me. We both have used our degrees and even though I am not currently working, I plan to go back again at some point.

We also did NOT have huge student loans. Neither of us had student loans for undergrad but both of us took out some loans for grad school. I think I took out 10K and paid cash for the rest. DH took out $20K and paid cash for the rest.

Dawn

DH and I both attended college, with military scholarships paying for most or all of it (military service after graduation as payback). DH's masters degree was about 75% paid for using military tuition assistance.

I have an English undergrad with many many science and engineering courses and worked for over a decade as a naval officer. Some jobs my degree background in a less direct way, but it was still good preparation for what I was doing. The skills of thinking and communication were always a commodity. DH uses his degree background on a daily basis.

When I got off active duty, I did a masters in education. We were making enough from my dh's pay to pay for my courses out of savings. Neither of us had any college loans. The MS Ed was my least used degree, but it has helped me to have a lot of confidence about homeschooling, in particular when dealing with educational bureaucrats who weren't doing their jobs. I hope eventually to use the MS Ed degree in some way, post homeschooling.

I hope my kids will attend college, but could forsee some instances where that wouldn't be the best choice. But I also would want them to use that college time fruitfully, not as a four year period of self indulgence.

Dawn

Another vote for both hubby and I having degrees, using them, and loving the experience of it all (4 year away from home state schools). We had loans, but not excessive, and paid them off quickly.

My boys are going to 4 year schools and have been raised knowing this. So far, the oldest is there and loving it. Middle son is looking forward to applying and choosing a school this year. Youngest already has some schools on his wish list.

I can't fathom them not getting degrees, but I know not everyone has the same desires and goals and those making different decisions are just as valuable to our society. To each our own.