Menu

moms of many young boys, what do you use to clean

the bathroom, specifically the area on and around the toilet? What is most effective (aside from more accurate potty usage), especially for scent? bleach?

One of the areas in question has hardwood floors. The other areas have tile.

White vinegar in a spray bottle.

ETA: I have shown the kid in charge of each bathroom how I expect it to be cleaned EVERY DAY and I will inspect.

With 12 people here, bathrooms needed cleaned daily IMO.

The vinegar smell is strong at first but it dissipates quickly.

A decorative jar filled with arm and hammer might reduce smells too?

Oh and we keep a can of OUST in there for those particularly offensive smells. Just a quick spritz is enough.

Edited by Martha

I just use clorox wipes but I use them at least once a day.

And, he who has to clean the mess often improves his aim. Just sayin'

I am not above making one of the boys go back in there and wipe the floor/seat/wall next to the toilet. I even make their friends do it. I have found it is the friends who are the biggest offenders.

I just wouldn't let mine go where there is hardwood, period! :)

I eventually kicked them out of being allowed to go in my bathroom - they either go in theirs or (rarely, and with fussing if done badly) in the guest room down the hall. Even if they are IN my bathroom playing with the new kitty, I require that they LEAVE and go somewhere else. They are just too unable to keep it clean & yuck-free for me :)

ETA - I also make my boys go in and clean up after themselves. I have been just having them spray 409 & wipe with papertowels (and wash hands well after), but the clorox wipes is a great idea, and I have those!!

I just use clorox wipes but I use them at least once a day.

And, he who has to clean the mess often improves his aim. Just sayin'

I am not above making one of the boys go back in there and wipe the floor/seat/wall next to the toilet. I even make their friends do it. I have found it is the friends who are the biggest offenders.

:iagree: At one time I also made my son start sitting down. He hated that so it was good incentive. In the bathroom that had tile I had to use a bottle that was diluted bleach and water, and use it every day. Spraying lysol around the area helped some too. For the toilet that is on hardwood, I would buy a couple of those contour rugs that fit around the toilet and wash them regularly.

:iagree:

At one time I also made my son start sitting down.
Our boys sit down and that's just the way it is. I was so grossed out by the time ds #2 was going I'd had it! My dh is under the same "rule" and when I found him not following it I told him he just earned the job of cleaning up the toilets. He grumbled and complained until he had to wipe down the wall next to the toilet; he never stood to "go" again, lol. gross, gross, gross!!! No reason at all why males can't sit as well as females, IMO, especially to help with the "splash" or aim factor. ;)

I found this cleaner called Kids 'N' Pets that is specifically made for cleaning up bodily fluids. It's nice because it has no scent. I just spray that on our (tile) floor once a day and haven't had any smell issues since I've been using it.

Wha? Wait? They are peeing all over the place instead of in the toilet?

Honestly that does not happen here.

If they can't aim, they sit.

And if for some unknown reason that isn't enough, or regardless of reason, they clean up their own mess.

I'd totally freak out on them if I walked in the bathroom and there was pee everywhere.:)

ETA: I did have a toddler poop painter. And yeah. I totally freaked out about it.

I was way less interested in how to clean than how to make sure it never happened again. :)

Edited by Martha

ETA: I have shown the kid in charge of each bathroom how I expect it to be cleaned EVERY DAY and I will inspect.

Both of these. I have three young boys who share a bathroom and take turns cleaning the floor, and it doesn't smell. (Any more.)

Cat

You mess it up, you clean it up.

Thankfully, this is an issue that hasn't become an issue in my house. I may have the pickiest eaters on the planet and have earned the scorn of many a WTMer when I've posted about it, but thankfully--they can aim!

And the one time one missed and peed on my shoes (which should NOT have been placed next to the toilet, but they usually have such good aim), I made such a big squawky ordeal out of it, that they went right back to aiming carefully again.

I agree with another poster who said that it's the friends who are the worst. I tend to find their messes after they leave, or I'd make them clean it up themselves. Yuck.

I use a mix of white vinegar, a squirt of Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds, some essential oil I like, and a bit of water in a spray bottle. I'm also in the camp of having a child clean the bathroom each day, it's so pleasant walking into a clean bathroom everyday!

My husband swears by Simple Green, a cleaner that he used while in the military. Its concentrated and a little goes a long way. Not sure where you buy it, Ill have to ask him. Strong smells like bleach are not good, my daughter has asthma, so we have to be careful about what we use. Try it out, you might like it!

Our boys sit down and that's just the way it is. My dh is under the same "rule" and when I found him not following it I told him he just earned the job of cleaning up the toilets. He grumbled and complained until he had to wipe down the wall next to the toilet; he never stood to "go" again, lol. gross, gross, gross!!! No reason at all why males can't sit as well as females, IMO, especially to help with the "splash" or aim factor. ;)

:iagree: That's the way it is here, too.

I guess I should mention that I didn't have a problem with dh over this. He is happy to sit if it means less cleaning for anyone.

Edited by Amy in NH

I use an orange oil based cleaner in a spray bottle. My kids have been cleaning bathrooms since they were 5 years old. I took the time to teach them how I wanted it done and made a laminated cheat sheet with the steps. It gets cleaned every couple days (more often if necessary) and they do it. l agree that I should not be cleaning boys toilet mess, so I don't. BTW, one of my boys seems to make more of a mess than the others. He does aim, but he seems to have more splash on surfaces outside the bowl. (I made dh observe him just to make sure.)

At school we used an enzymatic cleanser in the boys' bathrooms. You can get it from janitorial supply companies. The kind meant for pet odors works well too.

I agree that those who can't aim should sit, and that beyond a certain age, it's common courtesy to clean up your own messes.

A decorative jar filled with arm and hammer might reduce smells too?

White Vinegar is my choice for bathrooms. Works great!

We use the disinfecting wipes as well, and the maker of the mess has to clean it up. I have two boys that can get especially sloppy; numerous reminders were not working, so we had to hit 'em where it hurts--not only do they get to clean it up, but we make them buy the cleaning wipes with money from their piggy banks.

Thank you all for your recommendations!! I'll try vinegar first. Should that be straight, or diluted?

We've only had this problem sporadically in the past. First ds8 isn't too bad, second ds8 is lazy (and has dysfunctional voiding issues), ds5 I'm not sure about, but the biggest culprit of late is potty trainee ds3, who is still learning how not to make a mess while sitting down. He hasn't learned standing up yet - that's our next step. I'm hoping for improvement soon, but I have got to get rid of the smell before I go insane.

What seems especially hard to clean is the caulk where the toilet meets the floor. (now that I think about it, it appears the builder used the wrong type of caulk six years ago - looks like painting caulk rather than bathroom/kitchen caulk - sounds like a job for DH's to-do list. I'm sure he'll be thrilled.)

The problem is that bad aim only has to happen once and it will leak UNDER the toilet (where toilet meets tile, kwim) and stay there and SMELL! I use vinegar (diluted) or Method sprays b/c they smell better. But, vinegar gets rid of urine smell (we use it for our rabbits' cages). Also, try pouring a cup of baking soda in the toilet once a week or so, letting it sit for a while and flushing. Remember baking soda will remove odors. I hate cleaning bathrooms...my dd does it. :D She doesn't mind.

:iagree: each boy has one bathroom he is in charge of cleaning daily (counter, toilet, and any spills on the floor around the toilet). They use a spray bottle filled with vinegar and water 1:3. I mop the floors 1-2 times a week and deep clean every 2-3 weeks or so.

When they are the ones who will clean it up, they care much more about not making messes. There Is no excuse for a child over age 8 to be "missing" on a regular basis! That's not an accident, it's complete lack of regard for the home and the person who does the cleaning.

I guess I'm fortunate, dh readily accepted the task of teaching ds to aim correctly years ago. It's never been an issue here, plus dh is the one that cleans the bathroom anyway. He prefers to use Clorox Bleach and I'm very sensitive to odors, so he does it. I guess I should go kiss the man now.

moms of many young boys, what do you use to clean the bathroom, specifically the area on and around the toilet? What is most effective (aside from more accurate potty usage), especially for scent? bleach?[/Quote]

A flamethrower.

Seriously, nothing grosses me out like my son's bathroom. :ack2:

I am surprised by how many of you make your boys sit to go to the bathroom. :confused:

While I might desire that, I could never lay that down as a rule.

My step mother's dad used to sit, as her mom was really particular (they had a pristine white carpet growing up, does that give you a clue?) and I remember all of us thinking how emasculating that was. Now, he was a grown adult, and chose to do that to avoid her wrath.. but I can't imagine training a kid to do that.

Hmm. This is something to think about.

Our upstairs bathroom is the size of a shrinky dink, so any bit of bad aiming is amplified and concentrated. :tongue_smilie:

I am surprised by how many of you make your boys sit to go to the bathroom. :confused:

While I might desire that, I could never lay that down as a rule.

My step mother's dad used to sit, as her mom was really particular (they had a pristine white carpet growing up, does that give you a clue?) and I remember all of us thinking how emasculating that was. Now, he was a grown adult, and chose to do that to avoid her wrath.. but I can't imagine training a kid to do that.

:iagree: Yeah, I mentioned to DH that several women on this board had their male family members do this and he was absolutely stunned. He didn't believe me that even one woman made that rule, let alone more than one. He just said "You know that would never fly in this house, right?? I am not. a. girl." :lol:

Joking aside, I really am curious - for those of you that have this rule - did your DH object at all? Do the boys do that in public as well or just at home? I'm really curious now because I have never in my life heard of boys or men sitting to pee at home.

Only 2 males in the house right now, but I use them. I do not find it pleasant to scrub someone else's body fluids off the floor. :glare:

:iagree: THEY use arm&hammer... the neon green toxic looking stuff. I don't. Frankly, the odds of me peeing behind the toilet are nill.

And is it somehow okay for your son to pee all over but not your daughter? Girls can aim badly too.

One doesn't need to tell them how to position themselves if that offends you, but you should tell them the urine needs to go in the toilet.

:iagree: Yeah, I mentioned to DH that several women on this board had their male family members do this and he was absolutely stunned. He didn't believe me that even one woman made that rule, let alone more than one. He just said "You know that would never fly in this house, right?? I am not. a. girl." :lol:

Joking aside, I really am curious - for those of you that have this rule - did your DH object at all? Do the boys do that in public as well or just at home? I'm really curious now because I have never in my life heard of boys or men sitting to pee at home.

I mentioned this thread to dh and he said, "Hell yes they will sit if they can't aim. Men know how to pee like men standing up and if they can't do it properly, it's just rude and disgusting to claim being a man means leaving your urine all over the place."

My HUSBAND is the one who says they should sit if they can't aim.

Not to mention I'm sure many old guys reach a point where they can't pee standing up and I don't think it is emasculating for them to sit for it either.

And is it somehow okay for your son to pee all over but not your daughter? Girls can aim badly too.

One doesn't need to tell them how to position themselves if that offends you, but you should tell them the urine needs to go in the toilet.

Our second daughter was the worst we've ever had.

She would wait until she was barely able to hold it to go so she'd dribble a bit in front of the toilet while getting on. And she was in such a rush to get back to playing that she wasn't always quite done before she was trying to hop off.

My boys sit on toilets and stand at urinals. That's how the receptacles were designed and that's how we use them. I don't know what my husband does in privacy (I've NEVER had to clean up after the man or lower a toilet seat after him, so if he stands he's considerate), but I know that's what he's enforced with our boys. Our problem right now is the 26 month old who is potty training and likes to watch his stream, so it frequently ends up going between the seat and bowl and dripping on the floor. Grrrr. For the wood floor I use Bona and for the tile I use a regular tile cleaner. I'm hoping his fascination with watching will wear off soon and the reminders to "poke it down" will sink in so we can go back to not having this problem.

Only 2 males in the house right now, but I use them. I do not find it pleasant to scrub someone else's body fluids off the floor. :glare:

Yep, that was my first mental reply, too: "I use young boys to clean around the toilets."

Unfortunately, my children ASK to clean the toilets, and often fight over who "gets" to do it. :001_huh: (which is not so unfortunate except in learning through natural consequences)

I mentioned this thread to dh and he said, "Hell yes they will sit if they can't aim. Men know how to pee like men standing up and if they can't do it properly, it's just rude and disgusting to claim being a man means leaving your urine all over the place."

My HUSBAND is the one who says they should sit if they can't aim.

Not to mention I'm sure many old guys reach a point where they can't pee standing up and I don't think it is emasculating for them to sit for it either.

No, see, this is exactly what I mean. Why not just make them clean it up and learn how to aim instead of making them sit? I just don't see how a household rule of "sit to pee" teaches them to clean up after themselves. If you can make them sit, you can make them clean.

As far as emasculating goes, I think that having your wife MAKE you sit down to pee because you won't clean up after yourself IS a little emasculating. Grown men should be able to aim and clean it up if they miss without their wife making them, right?

I wasn't saying that sitting down under any circumstance was emasculating. Clearly there are reasons for that, I'm sure there are men who simply prefer it. I really didn't mean to offend anyone, I've just never heard of anyone doing this. Everyone I know just makes their sons/husbands clean it up. Learn something new everyday, huh? :001_smile:

Our second daughter was the worst we've ever had.

She would wait until she was barely able to hold it to go so she'd dribble a bit in front of the toilet while getting on. And she was in such a rush to get back to playing that she wasn't always quite done before she was trying to hop off.

My oldest DD has that exact same problem. It took many, many reminders and many, many clorox wipes to get her to pay attention. :lol: