Menu

Spin-off thread: your grandfather's names?

I really enjoyed all the pretty old names on the grandmother's thread. Are our grandfather's names as interesting?

Ignatz, who came to the country with the identity of his deceased fellow pacifist-conspirator Nicolai, and lived under that name the rest of his life . . . and then Thomas whose name was changed to Raymond by his foster parents, Peter, and Anthony who was named after Antonio a generation or two up.

Maybe it's because all of my uncles and boy cousins and my own sons carry these names, but they just don't seem as interesting as the girl names in the grandmothers thread.

How bout yours?

I really enjoyed all the pretty old names on the grandmother's thread. Are our grandfather's names as interesting?

Ignatz, who came to the country with the identity of his deceased fellow pacifist-conspirator Nicolai, and lived under that name the rest of his life . . . and then Thomas whose name was changed to Raymond by his foster parents, Peter, and Anthony who was named after Antonio a generation or two up.

Maybe it's because all of my uncles and boy cousins and my own sons carry these names, but they just don't seem as interesting as the girl names in the grandmothers thread.

How bout yours?

Lawrence (Larry), Elert, Ellsworth (Ells), Arthur (Art), Neil, Lorin

My grandfathers are: James Clarence and Lamar Clarence. My daddy is Lamar Clarence, Jr., so we named my dd, Claire after him (the g-fathers, too, I suppose, but mostly Daddy:).

My greats: James Presley, James William, Jefferson Andrew, and John Thomas. Pretty standard for Scots-Irish settlers. I did have one great who was named Isham. However, it was pronounced Isom. Also, I had a great grandfather who was named Lacy. He was killed at the Battle of Vicksburg.

Names fascinate me. Thanks for the threads!

Melissa

I'll include my dad and his brothers since my dad would be 89 this month if he were living:

Walter Charles

Elmer Henry

Earl Louis

Paternal grandfather and brothers:

George Alexander

Peter Henry

Lewis

Conrad John

Henry August

Adam Andrew

Arthur George

Paternal great grandfather:

Charles Conrad

Paternal great great grandfather:

Conrad

Maternal grandfather:

Lloyd Lester

Maternal great grandfather:

Smith Frederick

Maternal great great grandfather:

David H.

My grandfathers were Edwin Newton and Jerzy Maciek (he was a Pole.)

The two great-grandfathers I can remember right now (mind block!) are Stefan and Frederick. I have an idea that at least one of the others was Frederick too. He died when my grandmother was very young.

:)

Rosie

There was a great-great Uncle Skiff. I think it was short for Skiffington. The rest were regular names, I think: Bill and Howard and Mack and Walter.

Dh's grandfathers were Jefferson and Thomas. But his uncles have names like Clestin and Bradas. Those are pretty unusual.

Albert (born around 1900). I don't know the name of my other grandfather - I never met him. My father (born 1930) was Michael and his brothers are Roger, David and Julian. Dh's father (born 1920) is William, with brothers Orion (stress on the first syllable) and Larry.

Laura

My grandfathers were John (born in the Azores) and Kurt (born in Germany). Great-grandfathers (that I know of) were Reinhold (born guess where?) and James.

Dh's grandfathers were Sebastiano (from Sicily) and Felix (from Poland).

Wendi

John William who went by "Bill", but had J.W. on all his mail (I thought that was so cool as a child) and Cyrus (never knew his middle name).

My great grandfathers were Charles who went by "Charlie" and ... that's all I know.

Forrest and Robert.

How bout yours?