Menu

What race are you...? Are you sure?

I say French and Greek because that is who I look like... my Great Aunt. I look just like her. In reality I have Irish, Dutch, Native American, etc. etc. in there too.:)

What I forgot to say in my post a ways back was that our Filipino relatives are very offended because my kids don't identify as much with the Filipino part of themselves. And even the non-Filipino relatives seem to be surprised that my kids wouldn't automatically label themselves as Filipino because they look more Filipino than white. But my kids in turn, are startled because as they've pointed out they are just as much non-Filipino as they are Filipino.

I've thought a lot about a girl I knew when I was growing up who was half Japanese and half English. But she looked completely English - blonde hair, peaches and cream complexion etc. But her English dad died and she was being raised in Japan by her Japanese mom, knew only Japanese etc. I felt sorry for her because even though she was equally Japanese in blood, people wouldn't accept her as being Japanese because of the way she looked.

So that's why I say it isn't just about where you've come from. There's something more there that says that if you have color, you can't acknowledge the white part of you equally. You can acknowledge it - it just seems to be discounted more.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

I'm a mutt too.

I've got a lot of Scottish blood in me, some Native American, as well as an unknown mix of European descent. My hair is auburn, and my eyes hazel (change from green to brown depending on what I wear), and my skin is very fair. I married a man who is 1/2 Korean and 1/2 Hawaiian.

My kids are really a good mix of almost everything, and they look nothing like me...dh's dark features are dominant...though they all 3 have my basic facial structure & nose. They have been called hispanic (people have tried talking to them in Spanish:001_huh::lol:) which is actually the one nationality/race that is NOT in their blood...not that it matters...maybe I should teach them Spanish...

I really don't know what my race is. ;) Most European American I guess? Although for many many generations my family has been just American - so I don't know how I can claim European American? At what point is one just an American? I was born in America, as were my parents, my grandparents, my great grandparents and so on. I'm not really sure at what point my ancestors came over to America.

So I just say I'm white. ;)

My oldest son is half native american and half me. ;) I always wonder what to put in the race/nationality box in forms. Do I put white or Native American? I end up usually checking both.

I have no idea what I am. It's some big family secret that will soon die since my grandfather is gone and his two siblings won't say. All I know is that some of my family believes my great grandmother to be full blooded Cherokee while g-g-father was "very dark" and went to prison for "killing a white man". I've got Germans, Irishmen, and who knows what else in my past as well. But I check the Caucasian box when asked.

My father is Melungeon! I have never met anyone else that has identified this. It is hysterical that no one can figure out what he is :lol:. He has been mistaken as hispanic and middle eastern.

Very cool. We've only recently figured this one out on my dh's side of the family. And on my side they've said we had "Black Dutch" which can often be confused with Melungeon. We're both from the Appalachian area, so it makes sense :)

Here in NZ it isn't optional to answer or not questions regarding race on forms. Funding is often linked to race :glare: The choices that could fit my family are Pakeha (not something I am comfortable using), European (which I won't choose as my ancesters left Europe 150-300 years ago), or Other. I choose Other & either write in "American" or "human" depending on my attitude at that time. You, also, are not given a choice to choose more then one. Funnily enough when I enrolled dd & ds#1 at the NZ Correspondence School last year I chose "Other" & wrote in "human". When their report cards came, I laughed when I saw that the school had registered them as "Maori." I guess all people claiming to be "human" must be Maori in their eyes.

If I had to list ancestry I would list English, French Canadien, Irish, Scottish, Dutch, & Prussian for me, DH is English & English via Australia, but can be traced back to Normandy & before that the Vikings. My kids hold dual nationalities, they don't see the need to get into where their ancestors lived 100-600 years ago. It's enough for them to try to understand how they can be 100% NZer & 100% American at the same time.

Edited by Deb in NZ

Dh is 100% Portuguese - his dad emigrated at age 12, his mother's family is all immigrants as well. (His parents are 2nd cousins - sweet.)

When I was engaged to my dh, his brother sat across from me at a table and made this comment: "I'm going to marry a purebred Portuguese, not a mutt."

Welcome to the family????? ;)

(Oh, and btw - I'm a classic mutt. German, Irish, English, and a bit of Cherokee thrown in as well.)

My mom is German. Her grandparents came over from Germany. My dad is what he calls "Heinz 57". He says he's basically English, German, Scotch.... hmmmm, I forget what all. I heard that my dad's mom's grandpa came from Germany as a teen, but I can't seem to find the whole story anywhere. So I am more German than any other, but that "other" part of me is pretty mixed!

So I say I'm white. Can you imagine how confusing it would be if they had people filling out every part of what they are? :D Probably many people don't KNOW what they are??? (like me, with the rest of the parts of my dad) Then what do they put? So white is a cover that blankets a wide variety of people I guess! :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Brindee

Here in NZ it isn't optional to answer or not questions regarding race on forms. Funding is often linked to race :glare: The choices that could fit my family are Pakeha (not something I am comfortable using), European (which I won't choose as my ancesters left Europe 150-300 years ago), or Other. I choose Other & either write in "American" or "human" depending on my attitude at that time. You, also, are not given a choice to choose more then one.

I always ticked OTHER and wrote in New Zealander. I'm 7th generation, nothing that came before is worth anything in my eyes. It's a great joy to me that here in Australia, I finally get to tick New Zealander in the race box.

I have absolutely no idea! I know my great-grandmother identified herself as Cherokee and I know there is some Irish, Scottish and German in the mix. I do know that I get tired of the questions about our oldest dd who is fair skinned and red haired. We've been asked if she is adopted and many people feel a need to comment on how "different" she looks from us. :glare: Genes and how they're passed down are a funny thing.

That's too funny. Since I was born in Iran, then I'm not too far off. I'm sure it drives many batty that I'm Caucasian. In Grenada, I'm considered white. In the U.S., we're often anything but ... :lol: ... they think of us all as "ay-rabs" :lol:.

That's too funny. Since I was born in Iran, then I'm not too far off. I'm sure it drives many batty that I'm Caucasian. In Grenada, I'm considered white. In the U.S., we're often anything but ... :lol: ... they think of us all as "ay-rabs" :lol:.

Her you go: mystery solved. Caucasoid subrace: http://racialreality.110mb.com/subraces.html

I just started perusing this website, so it could be a bad recommendation. I find races fascinating. Noah had three daughters-in-law ;)

As a true Caucasian (from the Caucasus region), please don’t call us Russians J Actually, Russia is our biggest enemy and they aren’t in any way related to us. Or as my fellow Caucasians would say, “not a drop of blood in common with them.†J J

And here is why white people are called Caucasians. Not a very pleasant history of the term:

a few centuries ago, a "scientist" found some human skulls in the Caucasus region. after examining them, he found one which he considered "perfect" and "beautiful". at that period of time in the U.S., a very blatantly racist time, the "white race" was considered superior to all other ethnicities and cultures. so, the man reasoned that the since the white race was perfect, and this perfect skull came from the caucasus region, the white race must have originated from that region...he then coined the term "caucasian" from ("caucasus") to mean white people.

I just think it's funny that all other races in America get their own name, based on where they are from, but all the "white" people are lumped together with the Russians!

I think you can probably blame the US and white Americans for that. From issue of slavery to the portrayal of 'average" people in media and marketing just being white was what exempted you, for the most part, from special concern and discrimination. Colour (or the sort-of lack of it) was what mattered for a very long time because those were the lines your nation drew.

Up here it's a tad different (just a tad though) because we've got language tossed in the mix. You're white? Okay...But are you an anglophone or francophone? In the UK the lines are a little less about colour and much more about class, or were.

I'm a Texan. Both sides of my family were in Texas within a year of it becoming a state. Prior to that, both side were in the colonies/states from very close to the first settlers - everyone seemed to have been here by the early 1700's. Before that - Scotland, mainly, and some from England.

Bud's ancestors all immigrated through Ellis Island around 1900, either from Ireland or Italy. It gets difficult to go further back for him since any records are in Europe.

The question I have is how far back to go? My best friend's parents both immigrated from Columbia to the U.S., but she was born here. She can trace both sides of her family back to Spain because of military records. Is she Columbian? Spanish? Hispanic? Caucasian? White? What about her children? It gets very confusing.

As a true Caucasian (from the Caucasus region), please don’t call us Russians J Actually, Russia is our biggest enemy and they aren’t in any way related to us. Or as my fellow Caucasians would say, “not a drop of blood in common with them.†JJ

And here is why white people are called Caucasians. Not a very pleasant history of the term:

a few centuries ago, a "scientist" found some human skulls in the Caucasus region. after examining them, he found one which he considered "perfect" and "beautiful". at that period of time in the U.S., a very blatantly racist time, the "white race" was considered superior to all other ethnicities and cultures. so, the man reasoned that the since the white race was perfect, and this perfect skull came from the caucasus region, the white race must have originated from that region...he then coined the term "caucasian" from ("caucasus") to mean white people.

Very interesting, thank you!

I am a human American. Most of my ancestors have been here since before this was America. Mostly northern European, French, Dutch, Irish, English, Scottish, and German.

Dh is mostly Irish, German, and Dutch. He looks very dark Irish (think Collin Farrell with less hair and a few more years :001_smile:).

I'm white with spots. All over spots

I have very pale skin, freckles, and red hair (or did have red hair). My paternal grandmother was 'passing for white' in the bad old days. We thought she was tan.

My mom was white with spots. She looked like a giraffe, we thought.

My grandchildren are mixed. Some are pale, some are tan, some are brown. None have spots. So far.

I think the spots are a real minority when it comes to skin color.

I went to the site Loved to Death posted. It only has pictures of males. But in that catergory, it looks like we are either Halstett or Tronic even though we aren't from Scandinavia. However, my dh was mistaked for dutch and my middle dd has a look alike in Bavaria who was featured on a tourist magazine cover. I am of Polish ancestry but on my mother's side, it was well to do Polish so there was intermarriage with other gentry from other areas. My dh is 1/4 Hungarian, 1/4 Austrian, 1/4 Polish and 1/4 Slovenian.

On forms we always mark other-Human.

I think you can probably blame the US and white Americans for that. From issue of slavery to the portrayal of 'average" people in media and marketing just being white was what exempted you, for the most part, from special concern and discrimination. Colour (or the sort-of lack of it) was what mattered for a very long time because those were the lines your nation drew.

Up here it's a tad different (just a tad though) because we've got language tossed in the mix. You're white? Okay...But are you an anglophone or francophone? In the UK the lines are a little less about colour and much more about class, or were.

Where is "up here"?

The irony of what I posted is that white people lumped us all together to segregate black people in the US so they could write laws about segregation. It's just disgusting and now, if you aren't a minority, you are Caucasian. America bastardized the original meaning to cause destruction and hurt. Most Caucasians aren't really Caucasians.

That's what I was trying to convey; just didn't do a very good job. :D

I love this thread! You all are great sports!

This has spurred me to start researching my heritage. On my mother's maternal side, I am the 4th generation born in America. I know where the Norwegians came from in Norway, but not the Germans. On my mother's fraternal side, I know nothing. I only know 3 generations on either of my father's side. It's been frustrating trying to search for free. There's a big gap between the 1880 census and the 1920 census. I'm loving the 1930 census though; ton's of info! We'll be going to Salt Lake City in a few months and I'm going to spend some time researching at the church there.

Where is "up here"?

The irony of what I posted is that white people lumped us all together to segregate black people in the US so they could write laws about segregation. It's just disgusting and now, if you aren't a minority, you are Caucasian. America bastardized the original meaning to cause destruction and hurt. Most Caucasians aren't really Caucasians.

That's what I was trying to convey; just didn't do a very good job. :D

Canada, sorry. :) Good post.

Wow, I'm much less mutt than some here! :tongue_smilie:

From my mom: Irish and Cherokee - we have a direct, documented matrilineal line as Cherokees, though there is a rumor of some other tribe (gasp!) being mixed in. No one said anything about that til after my great grandmother passed since she would have had their heads.

From my dad: I'm third generation German American.

As far as I know, I am descended from the Pilgrims with one Native American in the mix. I'm not specifically aware of immigrants from anywhere else in my family background. I'm a white American. William Bradford is my 10-greats grandfather and I'm related to William Brewster on the other side of my family.

If I had to define my color, I'd say I was sort of a sickly yellowish-beige color. ;)
Me too. lol

When I was young I used to get very dark... but always yellow. My brother gets a red tan... I don't know if that is more Cherokee from Papaw (which is assumed) or Black Irish from Great Grandpa (whom my brother looks like).

most Europeans are considered Caucasian because the languages they speak are all derived from the same basic root language, indo-european.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-Europeans (scroll down to the map) shows the spread of early man from the caucasus region into europe, india, and parts of asia. that is why Indians are generally classed as Caucasian.