Menu

S/O: Do/did your kids use sippy cups?

Do/did your kids use a sippy cup?  

1. 1. Do/did your kids use a sippy cup?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

Until 3 or so they used them for everything but water at the table. After 3 we switched to bigger kid water bottles (camelbak straw bottles) for water to carry around the house and regular glasses for everything else but those drinks are restricted to the kitchen/dining room. We have found that traditional short, wide glasses get spilled less than the plastic cups designed for little kids because of their weight and wider base.

Each of the kids also has a sports cup from Jamba Juice in their bed for water (we discovered straw cups leak if left upside down in bed).

Only from about 6-about 9 months or so. I always have taught my kids to drink out of regular, heavy china cups from an early age because sippy cups are one of my oet peeves.:tongue_smilie: That said, ds2 gets a sippy cup of water once a week on the way to co-op to drink with his on-the-road breakfast PB&J sandwich. ;):lol:

No, I've always used regular cups for water and milk, and DS eventually learned to do it himself. I have one or two plastic cups with the two handles (it's hard to find them without the screw grooves for the sippy lid), but he actually prefers glass. Recently, though, I've had to start putting his breakfast smoothies into cups with a straw, and he's slowly coming around to that. He was great about not spilling the smoothies for a long time, but after he threw full glasses of smoothie onto the floor a few times, I decided that cleaning it up was just too much of a pain :tongue_smilie:

My first had plastic sippies.

My second used glass bottles with sippy type nipples (from Nuby, exactly like the sippy cup tops but smaller).

My 1yo takes a glass bottle of water to bed, but uses an open cup or straw the rest of the time.

I HATE plastic.

All of mine have been able to drink from an open cup at a very early age.

Nope. Used thick glass shot glasses when ds began drinking at meals and a thermos with a straw when we were out and about. My dd was a banger in the beginning so I bought the cutest little wooden mugs from Nova Naturals for her. Now (19mos) she uses small glasses most of the time but still loves her mugs and pulls them out of the cupboard often. We follow a lot of Montessori principals in the early years so they choose their own dishes and such and set their places at table.

Also, when ds was firstborn my LC cautioned that little ones who use sippy cups are more likely to bite while nursing. Not sure if it is true or not, but niether of mine ever did bite so :shrug:

Yes, they did use sippy cups. One of my children liked to bang her sippy cup of juice on the floor near the front door. This caused ants to come in to get to the apple juice. :lol: I'm not sure , but I think she just liked seeing the juice come out of the cup. Also, I think she enjoyed seeing the tiny little ants move about on the floor.:001_huh::lol:

Edited by Miss Sherry

Dd did when she was small. I no longer bothered with it when she worked through that phase where they like tipping water everywhere. Our armchair is usually wet because ds has not worked through that stage yet, and we left the sippy cup at Keptwoman's by mistake several months ago. I should ask if she ever found it...

Rosie

My first two used sippy cups occasionally, for the car, around the house, etc. Not generally at the table; I've always started them with a regular open cup pretty early at the table. I always took out the no-spill valves, though, because I didn't like the idea of them sucking on the cups. My youngest, though, has never used a sippy cup, always an open cup at the table, and all of them have straw cups for bedtime water, car, etc. They figure out the open cup pretty quickly.

My 4 year old still uses a sippy cup. He's so prone to spills. Also, he often eats a meal here or there in the car, so I don't want to clean spilled milk out of the upholstery. At home, if all the sippy cups are dirty (our supply has dwindled over the years), he'll use a small plastic cup. But he insists on using a straw with it.

My daughter used a sippy cup until this week, actually. Yesterday I threw them away so I wouldn't be tempted and she's using a cup very well. She didn't have any problem going from it to the cup.

We used it because we didn't want for her to make a mess.

Yes, dd used a sippy. It never occurred to me not to use one.

:iagree:

I found with Tazzie that introducing one with a soft spout worked...the hard spout he looked at me like I was trying to kill him off. :lol:

They're a handy thing for toddlers, imo. Anything that prevents a bit of toddler mess is a blessing! :lol:

They did use them occasionally, usually the Thermos Funtainers. Though we are Montessori homeschoolers, so we encouraged drinking from a glass early on, much to the dismay of my MIL.

small mason jam jars are the best glasses for little hands. They don't break easily.

We use the sippy cup for trips and when I'm tired of wiping up messes.

Ds is now 4, and I still prefer him to drink from a "pop top" type of water bottle rather than a cup. He can manage a cup just fine, but if I can keep "Clean juice stains off couch" from my To Do list then I'm a happier person.

Absolutely!! :D We used them up until 2 for all drinks. Then at meal times they switched to regular cups - but during the day they still had a sippy with water to carry around with them. That lasted till about 3ish. Now they both have a sports bottle filled with water that we keep in the fridge for when they are thirsty inbetween meals.

The older two went from the breast to a bottle (for milk) and a flip top straw cup for juice and water and traveling). They used a real (short and heavy to avoid spills) glass with no lid at the table. Drinks were restricted to the kitchen table only.

The second two started on a lidded bell tumbler at 6 months. The older of these two children now drinks from either a plastic cup or glass with no lid for water and a lidded bell tumbler for milk. Drinks are still restricted to the kitchen table.

Why is the use of sippy cups an issue?

My youngest has tooth decay, and the dentist blames sippy cups. Just wondered if I was a bad mommy for using them. (Even though I have NEVER put her to bed with one.) :)

I said yes, but really it depends on what DS is drinking. He will only drink milk from a sippy cup (mainly because he can snuggle with it, I think). He'll only drink juice from the sippy cup that has a straw (juice is for special occasions or for when he's sick). However, he will only drink water from a normal cup (no ifs, ands, or buts!). We have a strict "no drinks in bed" policy.

Edited by theAmbitiousHousewife

5 y 4 m still uses them, in the car, and any time not at the table. Between him, a 3 yo and a puppy ***I*** do not take an open cup away from the table LOL --

He takes a sippy of milk to bed nightly (he nw himself early due to my pregancy and went to the sippy at night adn still has it -- he'll give it up as he is ready -- his teeth are fine).

My youngest has tooth decay, and the dentist blames sippy cups. Just wondered if I was a bad mommy for using them. (Even though I have NEVER put her to bed with one.) :)

I would think it has more to do with what is in the cup than what kind of cup it is. I gave my kids juice with breakfast, and milk with lunch and supper. The rest of the day they drank water from their sippy cups.