Menu

A rather un pc rant about conventions

How I long for a home school convention sans the propaganda and actually about *gasp* academics. I think purity rings are somewhere between stupid and creepy. Neither Rob nor I have any desire for me to be a meek and quiet wife. (Thank goodness! LOL) I think real boyhood is more than learning to be a good provider. I think Hank the Cowdog should be put down -seriously that dog is horribly behaved! And hearing a couple expound on their research into how effective home schooling is, is not particularly helpful in practical applications. Though I'm sure it is temporarily inspiring to hear that if we just relax and leave the kids to their own devices and raise them to be Godly - that everything else will fall into place. And if it doesn't, well at least they aren't having sex at the public school.

What I wouldn't give for actual academic discussion of options and how to apply them in our homes. All the rhetoric about how to raise our sons to be manly providers and our daughters to be pure is not very helpful when it comes to teaching actual religion, algebra, dissections, or how to write a coherent 5 paragraph essay with end notes and bibliography.

It perpetuates a stereotype that most home schoolers don't fit (IME) or want to fit and excuses poor education in the name of being a better Christian, which I personally find insulting.

I probably shouldn't hit post. Feel free to ignore. I will go to the convention tho I won't attend a single speaker. I just want the free shipping and instant gratification of my vendor purchases.;)

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How I long for a home school convention sans the propaganda and actually about *gasp* academics. I think purity rings are somewhere between stupid and creepy. Neither Rob nor I have any desire for me to be a meek and quiet wife. (Thank goodness! LOL) I think real boyhood is more than learning to be a good provider. I think Hank the Cowdog should be put down -seriously that dog is horribly behaved! And hearing a couple expound on their research into how effective home schooling is, is not particularly helpful in practical applications. Though I'm sure it is temporarily inspiring to hear that if we just relax and leave the kids to their own devices and raise them to be Godly - that everything else will fall into place. And if it doesn't, well at least they aren't having sex at the public school.

What I wouldn't give for actual academic discussion of options and how to apply them in our homes. All the rhetoric about how to raise our sons to be manly providers and our daughters to be pure is not very helpful when it comes to teaching actual religion, algebra, dissections, or how to write a coherent 5 paragraph essay with end notes and bibliography.

It perpetuates a stereotype that most home schoolers don't fit (IME) or want to fit and excuses poor education in the name of being a better Christian, which I personally find insulting.

I probably shouldn't hit post. Feel free to ignore. I will go to the convention tho I won't attend a single speaker. I just want the free shipping and instant gratification of my vendor purchases.;)

Yeah. Except for Hank and what not. We don't have those books and now I know not to get them.

Edited by LG Gone Wild

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Okay, I know it was a rant and not meant to be funny, but you SO hit the nail on the head. It's the reason I don't go to homeschool conventions.

:iagree: I only go as a vendor, but "creepy" is a good way to describe some of the workshops I've attended while there. :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Okay, I know it was a rant and not meant to be funny, but you SO hit the nail on the head. It's the reason I don't go to homeschool conventions.

I went to the one where Andrew P and SWB were speaking, and you couldn't swing a cat without hitting someone from this forum, but that was it.

I started out going for the whole weekend, all excited to learn more about teaching my child at home. That lasted about half way through the first day. Now I go for one day just to see the vendors and get the books I need on sale. If I see something in the vendor hall I'm not sure about, I might go to the vendor presentation to learn more about it. This has saved me from some serious errors in judgment on purchases! I don't go to any of the other speakers for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Plus we're not Christian, so it is REALLY not for us! :tongue_smilie:

:lol: LOve it!!! Thanks for the rant. As a Catholic, I know that 'we' are not represented at the convention in our state, as my friends who went one year also made it their last when a speaker made snide remarks about Catholics. :glare: I have never been to a convention, but I would hate to spend money and time to attend one and find out it is a gathering for the Perfect Homeschooling Family who train their 6 sons to be Gallant Godly Man Providers, and their 5 daughters to be Meek Future Wives who would only consider wearing modest swimwear to sun their ankles. I think this type of focus at the conventions only serves to alienate a LARGE portion of the homeschool market. Obviously.

:iagree: !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:iagree:

I found that there was very little for me as a secular homeschooler. I don't think the sponsors ever considered that people home school for academic reasons.

Thing is' date=' I am not even a secular home schooler!

I'm a practicing Roman Catholic. (tho how much practice I need I'm sure would depend on other people's POV. Not going [i']there[/i] in this thread tho.:glare::tongue_smilie:)

It's not even about whether I agree or not. I certainly have some rugged boys and I would love it if all my children wait until marriage for sex. I'm a die hard home schooler too. For that matter, I've met more than a few secular home schoolers who feel the same.

But I don't go to a school convention for cheerleading on those topics. I just don't get that concept. My POV on sex, boyhood, femininity, or marriage have little to nothing to do with my oldest's struggles in math. And further more, telling me to just not worry about his struggles bc it isn't as important as his spiritual development is annoying and insulting to both our intelligence and our faith.

As a Catholic, I know that 'we' are not represented at the convention in our state, as my friends who went one year also made it their last when a speaker made snide remarks about Catholics. :glare: I have never been to a convention, but I would hate to spend money and time to attend one and find out it is a gathering for the Perfect Homeschooling Family who train their 6 sons to be Gallant Godly Man Providers, and their 5 daughters to be Meek Future Wives who would only consider wearing modest swimwear to sun their ankles. I think this type of focus at the conventions only serves to alienate a LARGE portion of the homeschool market. Obviously.

Oh yeah. There will likely never be a catholic provider welcomed as a vendor here in the buckle of the protestant belt.;) I'd have to drive out of state to attend a convention with any catholic providers. The only vendor I will likely buy from is Rainbow Resource. And really, I'm buying enough that I'd get free shipping anyways, but I HATE their lack of customer service and that their shipping time is so insanely long compared to most others. Buying at the convention, I get the great price without the wait.

How funny that the original poster is from OK, where my parents started a HS group when I was 12. (27 years ago) The did at least one of the first "national hs conventions in Oklahoma at the ORU campus.

I have NO idea what the talks were about. I liked the peanut butter balls that the ladies at the KONOS booth had brought. I think I must have eaten 1/2 if them. Kudos bars had a table, too, with new bars cut into small pieces. They finally gave me a whole bar :)

But, I actually have posted about conventions over here not being academic.

I talked to the person in charge of this areas Christian hs group, and how the Conference was not appealing to second generation homeschoolers.

She said that they don't really have 2nd generation hs in attendance. Really??? Could there be a REASON why??

I don't care to hear discipline strategies and how I should do this or that more. I could care less about hearing "family inspiration stories" or anything like that.

I want PURE academics. Kinda like I imagine we would want Public School teachers going to an ACADEMIC conference to hear. Can you imagine someone going to a Singapore Math conference, and 75% of it being about how to place students in their class??

Yes, morality has a place.... Christian Education can be firmly talked about... But that is all ONE thing in my mind and shouldn't take over ONE talk. I will spend my time looking at books when they do it, if permitted.

I wanna listen to SWB, Andrew Pudewa, the Lowes, Singapore Math people, Julie (with Living Math) etc..

Back to ours..... I had someone tell me that I was going to LOVVVVVe listening to a particular speaker, because of their whatever message. I wasn't mean enough to say that I wouldn't go if it was free.

Now, maybe if I can just listen to Jim Weiss tell some stories :)

SUSAN!!!!!!! We (the people) want you in Oregon!!!

Edited by NayfiesMama
Maybe I could start a Northwest Classical Conference? Maybe on "even years"? Who would come??

I found that there was very little for me as a secular homeschooler. I don't think the sponsors ever considered that people home school for academic reasons.

The one convention I went to, there was a speaker on using logic to defend your Christianity or somesuch. I'm an atheist, but I went so I would have a better idea of the Christian Homeschooler Mindset.

It was the WORST example of logic ever. I'm sure all the Christians here who study logic would have been appalled. Straw men everywhere!

I was glad to later discover that this was not a representation of the average homeschooling family.

At the last convention I attended, the sanctuary (2,000 seats) was reserved for the types of workshops of which you're speaking. The actual how-to-choose and use-curricula, how-to-succeed-at-homeschooling, and how-to-get-your-kids-into-college stuff was in classrooms with twenty seats. Just sayin'. ;)

I only go to hear SWB speak! If I can drive it and afford the layout of expenses, then this is my reason for attending. My dear friend and I do not hang out for other seminars, but we do shop until we drop. The Michigan INCH convention, in my opinion, is not classical homeschooling friendly and quite often the vendors I am interested in are not attending, and it has a very fundamentalist feel to it. This might not actually be so, but I do avoid it because it feels that way to me. I spent a little too much time in a "fundamentalist" high school and was really scarred. So, I identify with the creepy element, but I readily admit to being over-sensitive.

I've been to the Midwest convention once. Dear friend and I went to every single SWB talk and tried just one other seminar in which the speaker insisted that there was no such thing as dyslexia! We got up and left in the middle of the talk. The rest of the time we just shopped until we dropped because the number of vendors at this convention makes a person HIGH, well, if they are book nerds like we are. My husband swore he'd never let me go again without "adult supervision" because he'd have to remortgage the house!

Off topic here, Susan, I was the one in the 2007 high school prep seminar that said we'd encountered a few colleges that ideally hoped that math and science majors would show a full credit of geometry from a different course than Saxon because they felt Saxon's integrated geometry wasn't enough and would make the student take a remedial class. (Insert VERY CHEESY GRIN HERE!!!! For me it was a lot like expressing an opinion to say, THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND!!!!)

Now, I can tell you how to get through a homeschool convention and make it worth attending. A. First, you must pick one with an Ungodly number of vendors and make sure you have your entire tax refund in hand. B. Get a suite at the Holiday Inn to share with your friend. The kind with the big screen t.v. and whirlpool jets in the bathtub. C. Take an entire Godive Double Chocolate Cheesecake. D. Take Arbonne minty foot soak crystals, plastic tubs, and extra towels plus your favorite tea. Drink tea, eat chocolate cheesecake, look at your books, and sip your favorite tea. D. Make sure that each of you gets a chance to eat your favorite cuisine. E. Drink soooooo much carmel latte that you honestly just don't notice anyone else around you because you've entered the twilight zone. F. Make sure you have your copies of SWB's history books (even that sad, dog eared, beat to death copy of SOTW Ancients that is battle warn from several children), stalk the Peace Hill Press table until she spells Charlie for lunch, and then make a beeline over there so you can make her sign ALL of your ratty looking SWB books. G. Buy everything new that Peace Hill has on display. H. Avoid their booth after that so that you don't happen to overhear them talking about the idiosyncracies of the SWB fan club. (No, Susan, we didn't overhear anything, however, we definitely tried to imagine, later after coming off the extreme caffeine and chocolate high, exactly what you must have been thinking at the time.)

Faith

I heard that the Tulsa convention has a shopping only pass this year for those not intersted in the speakers.

I went last year to the Tulsa convention and had a great time. Although the only workshops I went to were Andew Pudewas talks. He was VERY good. I skipped all the religiously oriented ones. It was such a small convention hall that the vendors had to be limited. However, I still managed to spend quite a bit of money. LOL

I got a flyer for our state homeschool convention a few years ago. I looked at the speakers and topics and wondered what in the world any of it had to do with homeschooling. I threw it out.

I wish we had the budget to let me loose in a vendor hall. :lol::lol:

Having never read them (my boys are older, so I only heard about them here), I had no idea Hank the Cowdog was Christian! ;)

I've never been a hs convention! Not even an unschooling one....been to lots of LLL conventions. Not the same.

Edited by LibraryLover

ITA.

In the early days, most workshops were on academics. I don't know what happened, other than the fact that there is now sort of a national speakers' bureau, the people who used to speak on academics and other specific-to-homeschooling issues have developed workshops on their favorite issues, and most convention organizers look to those nationally known speakers instead of to local, experienced homeschoolers.

I would love to attend one that is about 10-12 drive hours away. But it just doesn't make sense financially. I can spend several $100 dollars to go see if I like the materials, or I can use those funds towards actually buying materials and see how they work out. Also, as much as I might like some of the more academic workshops or speakers, for the cost of the trip - I could just buy their book or read their website and hope to glean enough from that.

So something more rational and academic in my state sure would be great.

AMEN....but I will go hear SWB. JW, and Andrew Pudewa if I can. I stick to the academic sessions.

Faithe (who does find Hank funny, but he is a very bad boy.)

:lol:

Were you reading the description of the convention speakers one state over from me? I looked last night, and, well, yeah...:001_huh:

Does your state have a Catholic family conference each year? Andrew P. spoke at ours last year, and you're even closer to home for him than we are!

Having never read them (my boys are older, so I only heard about them here), I had no idea Hank the Cowdog was Christian! ;)

I've never been a hs convention! Not even an unschooling one....been to lots of LLL conventions. Not the same.

We read about half of the first Hank the Cowdog book. Ds didn't care for Hank's poor grammar! :D I was so proud. Having read that little bit, though, I'm not sure how it could be classified as Christian.

Amen:D

Now, I can tell you how to get through a homeschool convention and make it worth attending. A. First, you must pick one with an Ungodly number of vendors and make sure you have your entire tax refund in hand. B. Get a suite at the Holiday Inn to share with your friend. The kind with the big screen t.v. and whirlpool jets in the bathtub. C. Take an entire Godive Double Chocolate Cheesecake. D. Take Arbonne minty foot soak crystals, plastic tubs, and extra towels plus your favorite tea. Drink tea, eat chocolate cheesecake, look at your books, and sip your favorite tea. D. Make sure that each of you gets a chance to eat your favorite cuisine. E. Drink soooooo much carmel latte that you honestly just don't notice anyone else around you because you've entered the twilight zone. F. Make sure you have your copies of SWB's history books (even that sad, dog eared, beat to death copy of SOTW Ancients that is battle warn from several children), stalk the Peace Hill Press table until she spells Charlie for lunch, and then make a beeline over there so you can make her sign ALL of your ratty looking SWB books. G. Buy everything new that Peace Hill has on display. H. Avoid their booth after that so that you don't happen to overhear them talking about the idiosyncracies of the SWB fan club. (No, Susan, we didn't overhear anything, however, we definitely tried to imagine, later after coming off the extreme caffeine and chocolate high, exactly what you must have been thinking at the time.)

Faith

I love it! I'll be attending my first HS convention with my best bud! You guys have me intrigued about what it will be like for this secular HSer. The list of speakers include SWB, JW, MCT, Andrew Pudewa, Lost Tools of Writing author, Julie Bogart and several science-folk so hopefully my experience will be different from yours.

Does your state have a Catholic family conference each year? Andrew P. spoke at ours last year, and you're even closer to home for him than we are!

Nope. Never have, probably never will.

ETA: I remember a vague notion that AP was considering moving here, but don't know if he actually did or not.

We read about half of the first Hank the Cowdog book. Ds didn't care for Hank's poor grammar! :D I was so proud. Having read that little bit, though, I'm not sure how it could be classified as Christian.

Me either. A grandparent bought a couple of them as a gift for one of the boys and they were quickly relegated to the donation pile in the garage.

Edited by Martha

I find that there is very little for me as a Christian homeschooler who believes that faith and truth go hand in hand, that study is a form of worship.

I think I might describe it as pedantic fundamentalism.

I went to the one where Andrew P and SWB were speaking, and you couldn't swing a cat without hitting someone from this forum, but that was it.

I saw you there!

That was my one and only convention. I went to SWB's talk, and one by a college admission counselor about transcripts and getting into college. The gal who was supposed to give the college talk couldn't make it, so they sent a newbie who knew less about the process than I did, so it was pointless. I didn't see anything that interested me among the vendors, period.

I always figured that conventions were not for me, and that one experience confirmed it. I am lucky in that I work on a college campus, so I can hit up profs for good conversation about academics, and admission counselors for intel about the process. I can't decide if I'm saddened or amused, though, to hear Martha's assessment, because it also confirms what I feared, that the nutjobs (and I use the term with utmost gentleness and kindness ;)) come out of the woodwork for these things.

And now, to torture myself, I will look up Hank the Cowdog.

I've never been to one. As a secular homeschooler, I don't see the point because I know there's not going to be much there for me. One of my friends went to one and thought she would be pretty safe in the seminar she chose (I think it was about motivating children or time management -- something like that). She wanted to creep out when one women described her daughter's behavior problems and the presenter told her quite seriously, "She might have demons. We should pray." :lol: Demons? Seriously?

Nope. Never have, probably never will.

ETA: I remember a vague notion that AP was considering moving here, but don't know if he actually did or not.

Me either. A grandparent bought a couple of them as a gift for one of the boys and they were quickly relegated to the donation pile in the garage.

So the Cowdog Christian fans in your OP are fans of poor grammar? :D;) I missed that joke, but upon re-reading, I think that is what you meant?

I have been to a few good conventions with enough useful speakers and sessions to be worth it. Here in No Va, I went to the No VA conference in 2009. Mainly my problem with a number of conventions is that I have been homeschooling 16 years and don't need how to begin homeschooling lectures. I also don't need how to teach YE position, how to keep your children from watching TV, using computers, listening to music, nor do I need how ADHD is a myth. I also don't need meek and mild wife (I am the one parent who is almost always around, I can't be meek and mild) lectures. In fact, that is another lecture topic that really, really annoys me. The variation on how if your husband isn't there to lead Bible study or prayer or watch over the school or whatever the speaker is saying, you aren't a Godly family. My husband works to provide for us and protect our nation- don't give me a story about how he isn't doing his Godly duty to us since he isn't home all the time.

I've never been to one. As a secular homeschooler, I don't see the point because I know there's not going to be much there for me. One of my friends went to one and thought she would be pretty safe in the seminar she chose (I think it was about motivating children or time management -- something like that). She wanted to creep out when one women described her daughter's behavior problems and the presenter told her quite seriously, "She might have demons. We should pray." :lol: Demons? Seriously?

OK. Now I just want to go to a convention for the fun of it.

But seriously, not to make light...that's scary.

I couldn't agree more with this but I thought it was because I live in the Bible belt. I attended one conference when we first started homeschooling and even I knew more than the woman giving the talk about starting homeschooling. I was actually answering people's questions after the "talk." Worthless.

Pegasus

This is precisely why I only attend the non-sectarian conference in our area. The workshops are about topics that matter to me. There is a good mix of topics for newbies on getting started, practical life concerns as a homeschooler, academic topics and preparation for college. Speakers are not restricted from discussing their own faith, but are fully aware that the audience will be quite mixed. My favorite workshop was a lovely talk by Jessie Wise on her experiences homeschooling her children and helping with her grandchildren. She was wonderfully frank about the ups and downs they experienced. If you are near IL, you can still register: InHome Conference

March 24 - March 26. Unfortunately, this year, I can't attend many workshops since I am presenting and working the vendor hall.

I have attended our local Catholic homeschooling conference, but I feel like a fish out of water there as well. Not a lot of academics there either.

Sing it, sister! I have actually decided to quit our local homeschool "support" group because of this very issue. (Well, it goes a little deeper than that, but that's part of it.)

ETA: Should I hang my head in shame that I had no idea who Hank the Cowdog is, and had to google him to find out?

Edited by flutistmom

How sad. A. One should rule out other issues and B. If she does have demons, one should do significantly more than just have mom pray about it.

As a catholic it would sadden me either way to see a mother with such troubles be told rather glibly to pray about it. I believe in the power of prayer. I also believe telling a mother to pray can be a bit ... Cold?... Thoughtless? Pretty much nothing drives a mother to her knees faster than her child in need. It should go without saying that her life is likely perpetual prayer at that point.

Sure she should pray.

But she still needs concrete help and support.

How sad she bravely spoke up about her less than perfect life (bc all Christian home schoolers live happy ever after right?) and was basically told that obviously she just wasn't a good christian or praying right or enough. :.(

I love it! I'll be attending my first HS convention with my best bud! You guys have me intrigued about what it will be like for this secular HSer. The list of speakers include SWB, JW, MCT, Andrew Pudewa, Lost Tools of Writing author, Julie Bogart and several science-folk so hopefully my experience will be different from yours.

I would totally go to that. Lucky! I've attended four conferences. In 2009 I went to see SWB, which was awesome. Last year I went to see Andrew Pudewa. There are two conferences near me. One is run by the statewide homeschooling organization (a secular operation). One is run by proponents of Thomas Jefferson Education. I used to follow TJEd, but abandoned it to implement methods that have a proven track record (more like the education Thomas Jefferson actually had) and actually work for my family. I went to the TJEd forum last year to see Andrew Pudewa, but most of the TJEd lectures tend to be about how to educate without using any textbooks, teachers, scheduled content, required content, concern over what other children are learning, "complexity", and overtly directed instruction. Good luck with that. :001_huh: There was one last year about how Legos were as bad as video games and will rot your kids brains and prevent them from being creative. See why I left TJEd? Oy.

I've only gone to the state convention once (to see SWB), but I don't think there were any religiously themed workshops. Maybe I just avoided those.

So the Cowdog Christian fans in your OP are fans of poor grammar? :D;) I missed that joke, but upon re-reading, I think that is what you meant?

I actually have no idea.:D. My only thought was that Hank the Cowdog has absolutely nothing to do with home schooling.

Mainly my problem with a number of conventions is that I have been homeschooling 16 years and don't need how to begin homeschooling lectures. I also don't need how to teach YE position, how to keep your children from watching TV, using computers, listening to music, nor do I need how ADHD is a myth. I also don't need meek and mild wife (I am the one parent who is almost always around, I can't be meek and mild) lectures.

Oh yes. I agree with every point. My other issue is the almost complete silence about home schooling high school OR when it is covered presumption that if you do manage to be one of the few who home school high school, you don't really need to worry about college. If they do mention college it is either:

How to use the local community college

Or

How your child will likely be exposed to only sex, drugs, rock and roll, and will leave their faith if you send them college and besides girls don't need a degree to be home makers anyways.

I actually have no idea.:D. My only thought was that Hank the Cowdog has absolutely nothing to do with home schooling.

Oh yes. I agree with every point. My other issue is the almost complete silence about home schooling high school OR when it is covered presumption that if you do manage to be one of the few who home school high school, you don't really need to worry about college. If they do mention college it is either:

How to use the local community college

Or

How your child will likely be exposed to only sex, drugs, rock and roll, and will leave their faith if you send them college and besides girls don't need a degree to be home makers anyways.

:banghead:

Thank you for making me feel that I am not alone!! I have not attended a convention in several years because they are just too far away and fuel is just too expensive. But, I really need to see, in person, in my hand, some chemistry books. That subject is just too expensive for me to look at 2 or 3 pages online and make a choice.

BUT, I do NOT wear jean jumpers. I WANT and insist upon academic excellence for my children. I do not want to drive several hours to look at hair bow venders, or vitamin venders, or hear how my daughters should not wear shorts or, or some such thing. It is frustrating. And, I've never heard of the Cowdog before this thread.

Could someone tell me which chemistry I should order for 10th grade so I will quit considering a conference this summer??:)

I've never been to my state's convention because years ago, a very dear conservative/evangelical Christian friend of mine told me that she was uncomfortable there because it was too conservative for her. She was tired of all the weird stares she was getting -- presumably because she was the only woman there with short hair and wearing pants instead of a long skirt! As a liberal non-Christian at the time, I knew there was no way I could deal with it.

Out of curiosity, I just checked the website for this year's convention. It only lists three speakers, though I would certainly hope there are more in the works. But the three being featured consist of one man who converted to Christianity from Islam (which is lovely and all, but what this has to do with homeschooling, I can't imagine and they don't say!) and two people from HSLDA. I think I'll pass.

I totally agree but it makes me sad.

Conventions are to make money. If we want a different type of convention they we need to organize them. Or, speak up to organizers and tell them why we won't go or offer our own presentations.

As a secular homeschooler, it never occurred to me that I would attend a conference. I don't think I would feel welcome or even comfortable. That makes me sad. I believe we have more in common than not. I think we could sit in a room for 90 mins in peace. I would be very happy to attend a conference with offerings that were both secular a religious.