Menu

At what age do you like to take your kids for first appointment with dentist?

Amie

I've been pondering some recent (conflicting) opinions on this, and I'm curious about what a wider range of people may have to say on the matter. (And fyi, I have read the ADA's recommendations.)

ETA: I do mean babies/children with no obvious-to-the-parent dental issues.

Edited by Amie

We take ours to the family dentist around age 3. They do a very gentle examination and brushing. Each visit, they add more steps. So far, my dc have been very easy-going (even when my ds5 had to have two teeth pulled after a playground fall.)

FTR, I wouldn't follow the recommendations to take a baby to the dentist unless I noticed a problem.

We took ours to the dentist at age 3. The first visit was mostly just getting them used to the chair, the big light (they give them sunglasses), and introducing them to some tools without actually using them much - like using the pick to "count teeth" but not scrape. This gentle introduction helped them have no fear of dentists.

Our excellent, extremely child-focused pediatric dentist says 3-ish, as long as there are no obvious problems and the child is ready. If the child is scared, they're rather wait. DD5.5 was nearly 5 by the time we took her for her first visit. DD8 was still 2 because she had some spots on her teeth that I was very concerned about (turned out they were spots to watch, but not actual cavities).

From the time my dd was 2, the hygienist would put my dd up in the chair and give her a quick and painless examination just to get her used to the idea. She has never been afraid or nervous about going to the dentist, and I think that is why. Her first experiences with it were no big deal.

Mine have all been between 18mos and 2years. The dentist takes a quick look inside and makes sure everything is looking okay and they get a quick brush clean from the hygienist. I wanted mine to all get used to it from a young age and not develop any sort of anxiety over going. Dh and I also wanted to be able to catch any issues before they become big problems. So far, they all really enjoy the dentist. I, OTOH get anxiety when I have to pay the bill at the end of each visit. :tongue_smilie:

WRT the anxiety, I think it very much depends on the child. At 2, my oldest DD was terrified of the chair itself, no matter how much kid-friendly, Elmo-covered stuff they surrounded it with. When the dental assistant made it move the tiniest bit to get a better view of DD's mouth, DD flipped out. Thankfully, that was near the end of the appointment. DD was so upset about the entire thing, she made me pop the balloon they gave her the minute we got to the car :lol:

By the time we went back when she was 4, she had forgotten she was ever afraid of the chair and had no anxiety about it at all. Mainly, she was excited to see the monkeys again (yes, they have two monkeys living in the office :(). That's their claim to fame around here--people far and wide know them as "the monkey dentists."

I took my kids for the first time at 4 3/4 and 1 3/4, and we had a horrible experience. The dentist was awful. The staff was incredibly slow and just terrible with the kids. The kids hated every minute of it (and so did I). So I waited a few more years and took them at 6 1/2 and 3 1/2, and to a pediatric specialty place. Night and day, the difference. The pediatric specialty place, where we still go, is incredible with the kids. Since our insurance covers it, we also now take the toddler. He's 27 months and has been two times, maybe three (though he's been coming with us since he was an infant). The older kids get the full cleaning and everything, and the toddler just gets a little exam, no cleaning. They give him the stickers and new toothbrush and everything, give him a little mirror tool to hold, bring out a stuffed puppy with huge teeth so he can "help" the dentist count the teeth, etc. The practice has four dentists, but I think DS2 has only seen one of them so far, and he's wonderful; I will request him every time I make an appointment from now on. At any rate, he really likes going to the dentist, and I think it's probably good for them to see him now. That way, he can kind of work up to getting a full cleaning at some point, and if there were any problems, they could catch them quickly. But tbh, if my insurance didn't cover it, I might be less inclined to take the toddler at this point, though I'd take the older two. Four would probably be the latest I'd want to take a child for the first visit, partly because at least one of mine has teethed very early and lost those teeth very early.

ETA: As for the anxiety, our practice has both rooms that have just one chair, and rooms that are a big open area with three chairs, a fishtank, pleasant commotion, etc. The big open area is nice for kids who might be a bit intimidated, and they say the gentle peer pressure works well for some children. There's just a general attitude of, "no big deal, see, everyone's doing it," and I think that is helpful for some children. If a child was really scared, I think they'd do minimal cleaning, maybe just an exam, and a child can sit on a parent's lap too.

Edited by happypamama

My old dentist wanted us to wait until DD had all her molars in. Our new dentist (we moved) would have wanted to see her at about 18-24 months.

Her first visit (at 3) was no big deal. They looked in her mouth, counted teeth, showed her all the equipment (but didn't use any of it), gave her bunches of "prizes" (toothbrush, floss, little mirror, etc.). She had a ball. No anxiety, though I was sure there would be some.

We took ours to the dentist at age 3. The first visit was mostly just getting them used to the chair, the big light (they give them sunglasses), and introducing them to some tools without actually using them much - like using the pick to "count teeth" but not scrape. This gentle introduction helped them have no fear of dentists.

I think we took ours to the dentist between 2 and 3. They've never been afraid of going. Never had a problem with crying. We took them to a pediatric dentist and were allowed to sit right next to them the whole time. We had some that won't allow the parents in the room and I said, no way.

Same with haircuts. We take them early, around 18 months for their first haircut and they were relaxed and found it all interesting.

Our dentist recommended the kids start coming around 3 but ds went through a stage from 2 until about 4 1/2 where he totally freaked out at any place that resembled a doctors office. He wouldn't even walk near the school nurses office when he was in EI. We spoke to his pediatrician (who had to hold his nose to get a 2 second look in his mouth) about it and they recommended waiting to see if he outgrew it since he was too young to be sedated.

I'm due for an exam soon and I'm going to discuss it with our new dentist and decide if I feel comfortable bringing him there.

My youngest just went in for her first teeth cleaning...at 2. All of my others have been 3. Usually, it's when they can sit still, by themselves, with their mouth open. Abby was unusually compliant. At two, she already has significant crowding (sideways teeth). So, I brought her in to have them check... since she did so well, they went ahead and cleaned her teeth, flossed, manual check for cavities... I was in shock that Abby just sat there so nicely.

I'm kind of nutty about my kids' teeth, tho. And, with my oldest dd, it's probably a good thing I am.

According to my dad (retired dentist) when their 2 yr molars are completely in is when they should go for a first visit - that's typically 2 1/2-3.

So, DS went around 2 1/2 I think and DD has been going since about 11 months when she finally got her first teeth in -- due to all the general antibiotics she was on through IV for 5 weeks in the NICU they wanted to make sure her teeth were ok as soon as they came in.

We have seen a pediatric dentist for all visits but I can say it's a huge difference to see a ped dentist in a ped office vs. a regular office. My daughter had a horrible visit when we tried a dentist not at a ped only office. Whereas the only fit or crying to happen at our regular office is when she didn't get to see the dentist when her brother did.

They don't typically do xrays until around 5 or 6. My DD actually had them done several times before DS since she fell quite a bit and severely chipped her front tooth so we've had to keep an eye on it since she was 2.

it's a huge difference to see a ped dentist in a ped office vs. a regular office. My daughter had a horrible visit when we tried a dentist not at a ped only office. W.

This varies tremendously from practice to practice. I called the few pediatric dentists around here when my first DD was young and none of them would allow me to accompany my child into the back. There was NO WAY I was going to send my tiny 3-yo into the back without me. A friend recommended her family dentist and they were very welcoming to parents with little kids. The hygienist was awesome and made sure their first visits were gentle and fun. We still joke about "Mr. Thirsty," the suction tube, and my kids are now 11 and 14.

Pegasus

This varies tremendously from practice to practice. I called the few pediatric dentists around here when my first DD was young and none of them would allow me to accompany my child into the back. There was NO WAY I was going to send my tiny 3-yo into the back without me. A friend recommended her family dentist and they were very welcoming to parents with little kids. The hygienist was awesome and made sure their first visits were gentle and fun. We still joke about "Mr. Thirsty," the suction tube, and my kids are now 11 and 14.

Pegasus

I absolutely wouldn't have allowed them to go back by themselves either so I totally understand what you mean. A family dentist can be great as well - I was just referring to the 'supposedly' pediatric dentist we saw in a regular office. They took no measures to make it kid friendly, or less scary or anything. My daughter until about 4.5 was terrified of loud sounds among other things. Yet she was able to see a pediatric dentist elsewhere with no issues. Just a reminder to me to either find a child friendly office- family or pediatric.

My dad was a family dentist and his office was not scary to little kids so I know a family dentist can be great as well :)

^ months after the first tooth errupts and then every 6 months after that. Both my kids were in before their first birthday.

eta: We use a pediatric dentist that allows parents to go back and the first two or three appts are very basic to get them comfortable with the dentist. This proved particularly important when our oldest chipped both front teeth weeks after her second birthday.

At age 3. That's what our dentist said (unless the child is having teeth problems, then earlier).

The first visit was pretty much getting her in the chair and allowing them to count her teeth.

ETA: ours is a family dentist and has a wonderful manner w/kids. There is NO WAY I would EVER let my kids go back w/o me.

I'm thinking around five if there aren't any obvious problems. My 2 1/2 year old had ear infections when she was little (we're talking younger than 13 months) and she can tell when we're walking into any type of medical facility and starts screaming her head off. I'm really hoping that stops before we have to go to the dentist...

Mine have all been between 18mos and 2years. The dentist takes a quick look inside and makes sure everything is looking okay and they get a quick brush clean from the hygienist. I wanted mine to all get used to it from a young age and not develop any sort of anxiety over going. Dh and I also wanted to be able to catch any issues before they become big problems. So far, they all really enjoy the dentist. I, OTOH get anxiety when I have to pay the bill at the end of each visit. :tongue_smilie:

This is what we do, too.

My girls were in 2nd & 3rd grades. That was when we finally had dental insurance on them. Couldn't afford it before then.

My son was almost 4. My kids' dentist is actually a friend of mine. My son's first visit was conducted with him standing, me kneeling behind him to hold him still and the hygienist (and then dentist) kneeling in front of him to do the exam/cleaning.

^ months after the first tooth errupts and then every 6 months after that. Both my kids were in before their first birthday.

eta: We use a pediatric dentist that allows parents to go back and the first two or three appts are very basic to get them comfortable with the dentist. This proved particularly important when our oldest chipped both front teeth weeks after her second birthday.

My dd began going at age 1. She will be 4 soon and all the dentist has ever done is count her teeth and look for obvious signs of problems. She likely won't have x-rays or the like until around 5.

My kids used to come with me when I had an appointment, and dh would come from work to watch them in the waiting room (they had a kids' play room there). Then it was time for dd7's first appointment (she might have been 4?). She was too scared to let them do anything. I even tried sitting on the chair with her in my lap, but I don't think they were able to do anything more than peek into her mouth.

They recommended we take her to a pediatric dentist. We did, and it was a huge difference. Not only did she cooperate, but there was a difference in how they approached the situation. The whole place was very kid-friendly, down to the kid-sized chair. And all they did was count her teeth at that first visit. We would have gone back, but it was in December and they said their computer wouldn't let them schedule into the new year yet. :confused: I can't stand places like that. I need to set my appointment so I will come back. Don't expect me to call when it's time. Anyway, I never got around to calling for an appointment.

Eventually, as they got older, they started coming in with me when I had my appointments so they could see what it was like. That's what I would recommend, but I still don't know if we could realistically do that when they're 2-4 yrs old, unless dh still came, but came to the exam room with the kids.

We finally got dd7 back in the chair, probably as a late 5 yr old or early 6. She does pretty well now. We always schedule our appointments back-to-back, so we're in the same exam room the whole time, and the hygenist works with both of us before she calls the dentist in. Dd5 also gets her appointments in the same way. I have to go in 4x a year, for periodontal reasons, so our appointments are: dd7 & me, 3 months later dd5 & me, 3 months later dd7 & me, 3 months later dd5 & me. (the other one still comes along, but sits and watches)

Want to add--at a recent appointment, they found that dd7 had a cavity. They recommended that since she had a great time at her appointment, she come back in the next day to get it filled. They used their laser drill, which doesn't hurt and doesn't require numbing. It has a loud crackling sound. She loved it. She got "prizes" both days, so of course she wanted to come back for another appointment the next day. :001_rolleyes: She also liked her next appointment, 6 months later, and hates it when it's dd5's turn and not her's. :001_smile:

Dd7 also had a panoramic x-ray at her first appointment and did great. She wore the x-ray vest--whatever it's called--and did great. It was funny to see her stagger as the x-ray tech took the vest off.

Edited by gardening momma

but they go with me and the older kids after they are 1 to sit in the chair and get their teeth counted. DD 18 mos has not gone for that yet since she was sick the last time I was in. I wonder if she will get x-rays early-her teeth are very crooked and she is having a strange eruption order....I wonder if she has something going on. My family tends to have a small mouth but none have had such crooked baby teeth

My oldest dd had her first cleaning at 2 because she had a film on her teeth from an antibiotic. She had been with dh and with me many times before, so she wasn't scared at all. From the time she was a baby, they'd ask to see her teeth and ooh and aah over them.

Second dd started demanding time in the chair (and special sunglasses) at about 15 months. :lol: She was insistent about wanting them to do something to her teeth, not just count them. :lol: She still loves the dentist.

DD went for the first time when she was 4. DS was 3 the first time he went. Neither have had a cavity.

DN went for the first time when he was 4. He has 8 cavities that were filled/capped - including his 2 front teeth and 2 teeth that had to be pulled because the cavities were so bad.

If we have any more kids, I think I'd take them between 2 and 3 after seeing everything that DN has gone through....