Menu

I'm home.

We just got home. Things didn't go as I had hoped but maybe not as bad as I feared. I'm currently diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. They are deferring to the Oncologist to determine if there is IBC. My skin sample came back negative and apparently that is part of the diagnosing procedure. It could be that they chose the wrong spot to sample. We are waiting on other results. The Oncologist appointment is next Friday.

Today has been a whirlwind of emotions. Sobbing, laughing, weeping, laughing. After the doctor appointment we went shopping for my son's birthday. We went to the Oncol. office to see if I can get in earlier. We stopped at the pediatrician to get advice for counseling if we need it when get ready to discuss this with the kids. We want to have a fun Halloween and my son's birthday which is Nov. 2nd. We stopped to hand in my prescription for something to help me sleep. While we waited we stopped at our favorite ice cream hangout and ate outside in the sun while we held hands.

Tonight my brother and his family are coming to spend the weekend. So, that will be fun.

Part of me just wants to get on a plane with my kids and hit Disney. We were there 2 years ago and all of our pictures and videos were lost.

Please pray that the diagnosis of IBC stays away from me. I can hopefully handle the other but I am so afraid of the IBC.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Please if anyone has any medical ideas that can help me, please tell me. I need all the help I can get.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry for your news. I am a breast cancer survivor of 4 years (IDC-invasive ductal carcinoma). There's so much information to take in at the beginning, and it can be so overwhelming. The waiting for appointments and lab results is the worst part. For me, once I had a diagnosis and a game plan, I felt better..like I was engaged in the fight, rather than just a victim.

I can't recommend highly enough the website http://www.breastcancer.org. So many sleepless nights found me on the boards, asking questions, getting answers, crying and laughing. The women there have a WEALTH of information. I became so well-educated about breast cancer and my choices, that when I went in to my docs, I knew what they were going to say before they said it.

You need to pull together a great team: oncologist, breast surgeon, and plastic surgeon (if you choose a mastectomy with reconstruction). Another thing to consider is a genetic counseling session and blood work to see if you are BRCA positive. This was invaluable information for me. If there's a major cancer center nearby, that's helpful, but you can find individual, private practices that are fabulous, too. Also, ask your oncologist about the Oncotype Dx test on your tumor.

Right now it's tough as you wait and wait for information. Hang in there, and you'll have the ball rolling before you know it. Our kids did very well with my cancer. We were honest with them, and they had a great support system through our church. Kids are really resilient, so give them just enough information for what they need to know at their particular ages.

I'll be praying for you. You CAN do this!

I'm so sorry for your news. I am a breast cancer survivor of 4 years (IDC-invasive ductal carcinoma). There's so much information to take in at the beginning, and it can be so overwhelming. The waiting for appointments and lab results is the worst part. For me, once I had a diagnosis and a game plan, I felt better..like I was engaged in the fight, rather than just a victim.

I can't recommend highly enough the website http://www.breastcancer.org. So many sleepless nights found me on the boards, asking questions, getting answers, crying and laughing. The women there have a WEALTH of information. I became so well-educated about breast cancer and my choices, that when I went in to my docs, I knew what they were going to say before they said it.

You need to pull together a great team: oncologist, breast surgeon, and plastic surgeon (if you choose a mastectomy with reconstruction). Another thing to consider is a genetic counseling session and blood work to see if you are BRCA positive. This was invaluable information for me. If there's a major cancer center nearby, that's helpful, but you can find individual, private practices that are fabulous, too. Also, ask your oncologist about the Oncotype Dx test on your tumor.

Right now it's tough as you wait and wait for information. Hang in there, and you'll have the ball rolling before you know it. Our kids did very well with my cancer. We were honest with them, and they had a great support system through our church. Kids are really resilient, so give them just enough information for what they need to know at their particular ages.

:iagree:

I didn't have breast cancer but a different cancer last year. Joining a yahoo group of others with a similar cancer was so helpful. I agree that the waiting for results and dr. visits is so difficult, but once you have an idea of how to proceed it will help. You almost go into autopilot as you go through the treatments and surgeries. You'll find strength you didn't know you had. You'll be amazed at the peace you're feeling. Of course there are times when you cry your eyes out. I'm crying right now just thinking about you. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. It does sound like it's better than you thought which is always a good thing. God bless you on this journey you never wanted to take. I pray for quick healing for you. You can get through this, and you'll be so proud of yourself for handling possibly your biggest challenge with strength, peace, grace, and poise!

Hang in there. Be strong, but know it's okay to cry too!

Love,

Shalynn

:iagree: This is excellent advice. I have walked this road closely with 2 good friends in the last 3 years. I know more than I ever cared to know about Invasive Ductal Carcinoma and IBC. I totally second the advice to go to a cancer center for treatment. The James Cancer Center at Ohio State Univ is awesome if you are close at all (I am sure there are others too, just the one I am familiar with).

One day at a time. Live life as it comes. The road ahead will be challenging, but you can do it. Praying here dear. Hold fast to Jesus. He will meet you where you need Him to.

I live in Marquette, Mi in the Upper Peninsula. I don't know what is the best thing to do. If anyone can make suggestions I would appreciate it. I will be rereading the posts to pull out the great information.

I'm so glad to know there are survivors on this board. Thank you.

I live in Marquette, Mi in the Upper Peninsula. I don't know what is the best thing to do. If anyone can make suggestions I would appreciate it. I will be rereading the posts to pull out the great information.

I'm so glad to know there are survivors on this board. Thank you.

Praying for you!!! I don't know what the best thing to do is, but I have several family members in medical fields up there, so I'll ask around.

I grew up about 45 miles from Marquette - we're going to be there for Christmas.

:grouphug::grouphug:

I am so sorry that you did not get the news that you hoped for, but am glad that you are getting answers and that you were able to find some joy and laughter in your day today despite the diagnosis. I am a 14+ year survivor of Hodgkin's lymphoma. I went through chemo and radiation and while it was a hard year, I am stronger in my faith because of it. I pray that you remain strong in your faith and that you can draw strength from all of us here that are praying for you and your family.

It's wonderful how quickly this is all moving for you. You've been able to get your symptoms evaluated and now onto starting the treatment --- which is such a blessing!

My mom was diagnosed with the same 12 years ago (she was in her late 40s then). She had no metastasis EITHER (we're believing for this for you too in light of how good your nodes looked on the MRI). My mom will unwaveringly tell you or anyone that her cancer was the BEST thing that ever happened to her. So much more good came out of it than bad -- I can tell you that she grew SOOO much from the experience and has been able to minister to so many women because of it. You're going to look back, when it's BEHIND you, and maybe feel similarly. Things like this put life into such CLEAR perspective --- just like a trip to Calcutta, India or something. Once you've been there, you just don't care if your throw pillows look crusty (you get my drift) or if this or that little thing is just so anymore. You'll grow from this no doubt.

And, with school, I'd consider taking a LONG break from it. Remember in the old days (think Little House on the Prairie), sometimes the kids had to sit out of school to help with the farm. Well, your going through this may just be your HARVEST season where your kids have to sit out for a short spell while your attention and focus is on this time of healing of YOU.

So, don't waste a lot of time fretting over this school stuff. And, ask for help; people WANT to help. I'd ask for someone to help me with housework, meals, whatver --- now is time for some well-deserved TLC.

As for any advice: Green Smoothies in conjunction with your treatment plan. Secondly, -- the times in my life where I've been stressed and anxious, I find that reading books about great people of faith/courage helped me. I remember reading about Mary Slessor of Calabar, John Paton, Hudson Taylor,etc. And, thirdly, --- you don't need to be around negative people --- turn off the news, etc.

We'll be praying for a speedy 100% return of your health and for your family during this season of trial and triumph.

Edited by mhg
typo

I'm so sorry, Christine. I was really hoping you wouldn't have to face this battle. Stay strong! It will be scary and hard but you are strong and you CAN do it. I was with a close friend while her husband battled cancer. Like a pp said, many blessings came out of it. I am praying for blessings to be poured out on you and your family, for a speedy and COMPLETE healing, and for strength and grace for all of you. We are all here for you! We are your friends!!!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: