Menu

Does this make you envious or nauseous?

Does this make you envious or nauseous?  

1. 1. Does this make you envious or nauseous?

You do know mountain oysters are a bit different than those that come from the sea, don't you?

The article says "Usually this meat product is sold frozen, as it is inconvenient to get them fresh." Ya don't say!!! I think I'll pass. On the other hand, the way you're going to prepare them would make just about anything edible. A margarita...or two...would definitely be required for an appetizer!

Not nauseous but also definitely not envious! I am from Texas and they are more often called "calf fries" here.

Funny story, I was at eh American Society for Deaf Children family conference last year in Oklahoma. We had a bar-b-que off site at a dude-ranch type place. As we were getting off the busses, a cowboy was offering these fried treats to everyone. I was still on a bus passing the scene as some of the first people were greeted by the cowboy. I turned to my friend and told her "He just offered them calf fries!" She was incredulous boht that I could read his lips as we were passing on the bus and that that was the dish being served (these people were from all over the US and a few from out of the country so many were not familiar with them). Sure enough I was right. My friend ate some, knowing what they were; I passed. :tongue_smilie:

Then I ended up in the serving line with two of the interpreters. So I asked htem what the sign for "calf fries" would be. One of the interpreters did not know the actual contents of the dish and signed something more English that corresponded with the words "calf" and "fries". Please understand that true ASL is a conceptual language and does not necessarily correspond to the words in English, the sign is related to the concept instead of the word. So the interpreter who did know what the dish really was signed it much more accurately "bull" + "testicles" (signed with both hands as if you are holding really big ones down there) LOL!! You should have seen the other interpreter's face! :lol::lol:

Not nauseous but also definitely not envious! I am from Texas and they are more often called "calf fries" here.

The first time I ever encountered this...delicacy, it was at a restaurant in a small Oklahoma town. Calf fries were listed on the menu with no real explanation. I asked the waitress what calf fries were, and she just stared at me while my husband shushed me. I couldn't figure out why she didn't answer and it took my husband several tries to shut me up. :D He explained it after we had settled on chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy. :lol:

I can't remember the name of that town, or the restaurant...but it was somewhere along Old Route 66 between Tulsa & Joplin, MO.

Tonight we are having mountain oysters for dinner, dipped in garlic and herb dressing, dredged in flour and corn meal and deep fat fried.

Voting other.

I'm already nauseous (pregnant). They sound like fixing chicken livers. No problem. Not thrilled with the idea of which organ they are though (definitely knew what they were). Not envious....just not in a hurry to try any and definitely not right now.