Menu

What is your favorite pie to eat on Thanksgiving?

Pumpkin is my favorite. Growing up we always had pumpkin and custard. I do like custard, but no one else here does so I don't make it. Dh used to love pecan pie but now that he's off sugar he doesn't go near them.

Cinder

ETA: dh and ds2 absolutely hate pumpkin pie

I don't usually make pumpkin pie, but we have a pie social at church on Thanksgiving Eve and I'll eat some there. We like chocolate cream, a crumb-topped sour cream apple pie, and French cherry pie. I tend to save the French cherry pie for Christmas because it looks christmasy with the red cherries over the whipping cream & cream cheese layer. I'll take a pie to the church social and on Thanksgiving itself our little family of 5 will eat whichever pie we don't want to share. Usually chocolate cream. Thinking of a chocolate ice cream pie this year.

pumpkin pie -although I love a good pumpkin roll with that yummy cream cheese filling even more than I love pumpkin pie- well, wait, maybe not MORE... I love them equally, but differently...like the way you love your kids, you know?....

:iagree::iagree: Yes! This exactly.

Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin Roll

Copious quantities of both.

Chocolate cream (not stiff chocolate...must be fluffy and creamy) with a homemade lightly salty, not sweet, crust (ie no graham crackers etc).

Picky much :D

Or a good double crusted apple that isn't too sweet, and no add-ins (no caramel/chocolate/cranberries/raisins etc).

My favorite: Pecan

Dh's favorite: Pumpkin

I'm used to making both at Thanksgiving. As a young adult who wasn't living at home, I brought pie to my parents' house every year. My dad and I both favored pecan and he really looked forward to it. So even though Thanksgiving now is just the three of us (me, dh, ds), I still make both pies. Even though I could take or leave dessert, I make a pecan pie in memory of my dad and I make a pumpkin pie for dh.

And then the Friday night after Thanksgiving we host a big poker night and our friends help us with the leftovers. I make a couple of pans of turkey tettrazini and offer pie and my friends bring side dishes.

We always have pumpkin and pecan, but my personal favorite (which my grandma used to make me) is chocolate cream (you know, chocolate pudding in a graham cracker crust). It is easy enough to make, so I can always do it myself and bring it along if I really need some.

BTW, one year I made a delicious tofu version, and my grandfather went on and on about how great it was. We all chuckled under our breath since we were sure he had never eaten tofu, and likely wouldn't have if we had told him :lol:.