Menu

Does this seem insanely unreasonable?

I got a email from my homeschool group forwarding info from a young woman who just started a ranch near me (within 15 minutes or so). She is going to offer horseback riding lessons, stabling people's horses, etc. The email mentioned field trips. So I thought, well, that might be kind of fun, to take my 6 dc at home over to this ranch, see the horses, etc. So I emailed her. Here is part of her response:

It is $15 a person for a 2 hour educational trip. We start off talking about safety around horses, then how to care for horses. They then learn how to groom, tack up a horse (put the saddle on and such) and then each kid will get a 10 min horseback riding lesson. And the 2 year old could only ride a little bit, probably once around the ring with you holding onto his/her leg while I lead the horse. Then at the end if you guys bring a packed lunch we can have a picnic:)

So, she wants me to spend $105 for this?!?! I mean, I didn't expect it to be free, and I don't mind someone making a decent hourly wage (although she is just starting up). She was homeschooled and has taught before. But this seems, like I said, insanely unreasonable. Maybe it's just because I have no money LOL. So I figured I would ask on here. Would you pay this for a field trip? If you think her prices are out of line, should I email her back and say so?

Is she charging $15 or $105? I think somewhere you have a typo.

ETA: Oops, just saw that you have seven kids.

I don't think $15 is too unreasonable but I think they should be able to ride longer. I also don't think you should have to pay for your 2 year old. I would think she would give you a break since they are all your children. If it's too much I would email her back and explain that all of the kids are yours and that is alot for you to spend, can she give you a discount for signing up so many children.

Edited by OleanderRain

In our neck of the woods it would not be outrageous, however the children get only about 10min riding time and that will fly by.

If it were 30min riding, $15.- each would be about average for our area. I am assuming here that she can teach it. Does she hold

some kind of certification(s)?

Would you be willing to pay this amount if they each could at least ride for 30min?

Education before you ride is imperative. Is she going to tailor it so it can be understood by the youngest rider as well, except the 2yr old?

I wonder is she is willing to rearrange the times a little so your dc get more riding time and would this make a difference for you?

Edited by Liz CA

I can't pay anywhere near $100 to do something like this. It's not even really worth negotiating if this is the starting point.

One of my older dc used to take lessons and would love to again. But this same dd also does 2 x a week ballet and we can't afford both. So it probably wouldn't be a good idea to take her there and get her thinking about horses again LOL.

It's really the price I'm asking about. I just thought this would be a fun field trip, ok, so it's too expensive, we won't do it. No harm done!

So, I guess my question would be...

How much time talking vs. riding? If there is 2 hours of talking, then 70minutes riding, plus 30min more as adjustments are made between riders....3.5 hrs/ $105. Seems reasonable.

If it is a 2 hour limit, so there will only be 30 talking to allow for everyone to ride....that is getting pretty steep.

I would ask to her about her class size limit and how she plans to break down the class time. I would want to know if she has insurance and if she provides helmets. These would make me willing to pay a bit more for, because she will have overhead, making sure the classes are safe/insured ahead of time.

No way would that be in our budget. I think it's outrageous. Around here, people are giving away their horses because they can't afford to feed them. Maybe that's why her fees are so high? I would definitely let her know about it and maybe she'll offer a deal? Like a multi-child discount.

It doesn't sound expensive to me, but then again that's why we wouldn't be doing it either. Absolutely not in our budget. My one dd took riding lessons for a couple years; the only way we could afford it is our charter paid a portion for P.E. instruction. And at that my dd helped work at the stables. Very, very expensive.

My impression is 2 hours for the whole thing, then the picnic. I guess I was expecting a set fee, not a per person charge. IDK.

I do know that horses are expensive and horseback riding is expensive. I guess if I were running the business, I would consider the field trips as a way to get warm bodies out there in order to find students for the lessons, not as a another way to make $$.

I think it sounds like a bargain. But having to pay that times 6 I realize might be expensive. It would cost close to that just to bring 6 people to the movies around here.

Maybe you could ask her if she could give you a reduced rate in exchange for something. I don't know what that something would be, but maybe some sort of favor/help to her. Just tell her that's more than you can afford, but you are really interested.

Otherwise, I don't know. I really do think it is a totally reasonable rate.

:iagree:

I don't think it's unreasonable :) .

Is it expensive for your family, sure...but not an unreasonable amount to charge for upwards of 3 hours of somebody's time and talent.

I do think that they should be able to ride longer though...a half an hour would be nice :) .

As a business owner I've encountered this issue as well. I offer a service that costs a certain amount per person. I understand that if you have several children it's going to cost you more...but I'm still putting the same amount of work in per person regardless of how many children you have. It's not fair to the family that pays full amount for each of their two or three children to then allow you to pay less. It's also not fair to expect me, the business owner, to work for less money because you have more children in your family.

We recently paid $30 each for a 2 hour trail ride that included food (chips, hot dogs, cookies, and a drink). Riding lessons were advertised at $25 an hour and the class size is strictly limited.

Honestly, she needs to know that while her price doesn't sound bad, and her time is valuable, for a family like yours, there is no way you can afford it even though you would love to participate. And then leave it at that.

I think it sounds like a bargain. But having to pay that times 6 I realize might be expensive. It would cost close to that just to bring 6 people to the movies around here.

Maybe you could ask her if she could give you a reduced rate in exchange for something. I don't know what that something would be, but maybe some sort of favor/help to her. Just tell her that's more than you can afford, but you are really interested.

Otherwise, I don't know. I really do think it is a totally reasonable rate.

LOL maybe that's why we don't go to the movies either!!! I have NEVER taken all my dc to a movie!

Well, I could edit her blog and her outgoing emails LOL :tongue_smilie:They have quite a few mistakes.

I live in an area where there are many people who have much more $$ than me, and that's where her clientele would come from. Not from somebody with no money and a whole bunch of dc! :lol:

I don't think it sounds unreasonable. I don't know how much you would consider reasonable or doable for your family, but I'd consider telling her you have 6 kids and ask for a reduced group rate, or ask what the rate would be if you got a group together with another family or two.

10 minutes of riding is hardly anything. I'd rather just pay for however many horseback riding lessons I could afford, for the children that are most interested. Then the other kids could hang out on the farm and maybe walk around and observe for free. :D I don't find my kids learn as much from "tours" of places, anyway.

$15.00 per person for a 2 hour educational field trip is very reasonable imo. Just recently my dd7 went on a Girl Scout trip that was intended as an introduction to horses. It was 2 hours and cost $20.00 but that included the patch too.

You need to look at it from her perspective. If you only had one child that was participating in addition to you she would only get $30 for 2 hours of work.

To give you a little more perspective I pay 150.00 a month for 4 hours of group riding lessons for one dd and 280.00 for 2 hours of private riding lessons for the other dd. As someone else mentioned, horses and anything to do with horses is expensive.

I do understand where your coming from though. When you have lots of kiddos it can get very expensive even if the cost of one isn't really that much. Could you space them all out and just do 2 dc every couple of weeks? I agree that there should be no cost for the 2 year old and if you aren't going to be handling the horse or riding it, then there should be no cost to you either.

As a business owner I've encountered this issue as well. I offer a service that costs a certain amount per person. I understand that if you have several children it's going to cost you more...but I'm still putting the same amount of work in per person regardless of how many children you have. It's not fair to the family that pays full amount for each of their two or three children to then allow you to pay less. It's also not fair to expect me, the business owner, to work for less money because you have more children in your family.

I see your point. I think in some cases, it's about having the business vs. not having the business, ie, if I can afford to pay $50 for all my dc or no $ because the business won't take that, well then, the business gets no $. Also, she is just starting up this ranch and is trying to get the word out, establish the business, etc.

I like the way my dd's dance school does it. The price is based on the number of classes taken per week. So if one child takes 3 classes, it's the same price as 3 dc taking one class each.

We recently paid $30 each for a 2 hour trail ride that included food (chips, hot dogs, cookies, and a drink). Riding lessons were advertised at $25 an hour and the class size is strictly limited.

Honestly, she needs to know that while her price doesn't sound bad, and her time is valuable, for a family like yours, there is no way you can afford it even though you would love to participate. And then leave it at that.

That's a good way to say it!

$15.00 per person for a 2 hour educational field trip is very reasonable imo. Just recently my dd7 went on a Girl Scout trip that was intended as an introduction to horses. It was 2 hours and cost $20.00 but that included the patch too.

Thanks. I haven't done field trips that cost any $$ in YEARS.

I wouldn't pay $15 for only a ten minute ride per kid. $15 for two hours including a 30-45 minute ride sounds totally reasonable. I would ask if there's a group rate, but I would expect it to be terribly discounted. Maybe $10-12 per person which is still costly when multiplied by large families.

Is there a way you could take only the kids that would be the most interested in this field trip and maybe take the others to another trip that they would be more interested in?

I would try to figure out a way to just take the older kids, and not participate myself. I don't think that the price is outrageous in and of itself, but it's not a good value for a two year old, and I would carefully weigh for whom it is a good value and adjust the attendees accordingly.

Horses and safety around them are expensive to provide. But they have to be worthwhile for you to want to use them.

Guest havingfun

If this ranch is going to handle you and seven children within the same two hour period, we would assume she has more than one horse and a staff member or two for moving things along. If not, there will be lots of standing around and waiting.

Actually the rate seems quite reasonable. Just think of what it will cost you to take in entertainment, etc. as the years go by. I would have assumed that you had already noticed the high sum totals of going to other events unless you have made it a practice to visit free events such as a picnic table at a public park.

I like the way my dd's dance school does it. The price is based on the number of classes taken per week. So if one child takes 3 classes, it's the same price as 3 dc taking one class each.

I wish my dds' dance school did it that way. We're up to 5 classes a week for both kids combined, but I have to pay for a 3-class rate and a 2-class rate, which is waaay more expensive. :glare:

Others are right - anything to do with horses is expensive. Around here a riding lesson is at least $50 - this is why I told my kids it didn't matter how much they liked horses, no way could we afford it. But I also agree with others to ask if you can get some kind of group or sibling discount. I always ask for those, and I only have 3 kids.

I think it sounds quite reasonable. In my neck of the woods, a half hour of riding is quite a bit more--$25 is the best rate I have found. For two hours together, in the presence of the horses, touching them, grooming them, and riding them, $15 per person is a good deal.

Three years ago our family of four payed $125 for a one-hour trail ride and considered it a good deal.

Many people have given you good responses. I wili just add my 2 cents worth...the price is extremely reasonable. The rideing time is very realistic with how many kids you are talking. From her email she sounds sweet and worth getting to know...you never know what doors would open up for dd who has some experience.

I would probly try to take fewer children. Maybe finding and alternative for those under 6 or 7, or see if she can offer a price break if the younger's don't ride, or just sit for a pic.

Lastly, there are many reasons I don't do these types of things anymore, but one of the biggies is being asked to come down when I'm already offering reasonable rates. It's discourageing.

Plus, the work begins long before you guys show up. Makeing sure the horses are not a muddy mess, are sound and not haveing and off day, that some animal didn't wander into the barn and die...things like that.

$15 a person is very reasonable. I'd be willing to pay $25 a person. It would be nice to ride longer though.

I try to keep our field trip costs under $100. Trains into and out of the city, plus subway trips usually run about $25. Plus of course there is lunch and snacks. Then there is the actual cost of the event/trip/concert or whatever. But it certainly does add up quickly.

When we do something like concerts at $40 or so a person, plus the transportation costs, I tend to feel a little guilty spending that much money. When that happens, (like last Feb, when we had two concerts in the same month) I try and drop a eat-out night or two and cook a little more that month.

Maybe, if you really want to do it, you could eat in an extra night that month. Maybe make it a cowboy themed dinner so the kids know giving up that dining out night was special for the horseback riding.

I wish there was something like that around here for us to do. I'd love to take my son to it! Good luck!

Way back in the 80's, we had to pay $20 per person to go horseback riding for one hour. $15 for 2 hours sounds pretty good.

But how long were you on the horse? The way this is presented, of those 2 hours, only 10 minutes will be on a horse.

I think it's worth considering what you're trying to get out of the field trip: if it's a lesson in horse care, then the $15/person is worth it. If your children are really only interested in riding a horse, then the $15 isn't worth it for 10 minutes of riding.

She is charging $15/person, OP has 6 kids.

I think you should ask about group rates and see if another family wants to do it with you.

:iagree: I would ask if she offered group discount rates. Otherwise, I wouldn't think $15/person was too much for what she detailed. That's only $7.50/hour.

FWIW, I pay $30/hour for ds for riding lessons which include things like she is describing -- safety, grooming, tack, etc.

10 minutes of riding is hardly anything. I'd rather just pay for however many horseback riding lessons I could afford, for the children that are most interested. Then the other kids could hang out on the farm and maybe walk around and observe for free. :D I don't find my kids learn as much from "tours" of places, anyway.

This is what I would and have done.

Also are you wanting a field trip or a riding lesson, I think it is two different things. And I'd bet she doesn't have a second horse and person there, so I'd expect lots of waiting and standing. (just saying ime, could be wrong. Ask her! :))

On a field trip, I don't expect to pay $15 a person for the majority of my time to be spent either cleaning their horse for them ;) or being talked too, but maybe others have a different perspective.

I think I'd call around the home school group and ask if we could bring someone lunch or dinner and visit for the afternoon on their ranch seeing life. Free, make a new friend, maybe learn some more.

And we are frugal too. Paying for field trips and movie tickets? Why? We have netflix and museum/zoo memberships and can't imagine paying for what you describe, much less paying that much per person.

Of course, no hard feelings towards her about it and I doubt I'd say anything to her. I'd just say thanks, we'll think about it and never book.

I see your point. I think in some cases, it's about having the business vs. not having the business, ie, if I can afford to pay $50 for all my dc or no $ because the business won't take that, well then, the business gets no $. Also, she is just starting up this ranch and is trying to get the word out, establish the business, etc.

I do understand what you're saying as well :001_smile: .

For me, as a business owner, mom, wife, homeschooler if I'm going to take time away from my family, from my other obligations...from myself, lol, I need to be making an income to do it. It's just not worth investing the time, energy and talent into something if it's not being made worthwhile.

I love my job and while the joy I get from it is a great benefit if I'm not bringing in extra money I can get the same joy from just keeping it as a hobby for myself as opposed to working for free, kwim?

The rate is reasonable *for what it includes*, but it's ridiculous for what it sounds like you actually WANT from the experience, which is what you really need to consider. I mean, I could find a $150 pair of heels and know they're worth $150, but my $60 Nike's are what I need and want.

For the record, trail rides on hack horses run about $35/hr around here, with a brief intro for beginners. But everyone gets to ride for a good 45 minutes, all at the same time.

Well- that would be out of my budget, for sure, but not an unreasonable rate in my area at all. It would be a pretty good deal here.

This is at her home? Think of what she/her family has to pay in insurance just to have you on the property interacting with the horses. Yikes. I looked into boarding horses on my property and I wouldn't have been able to charge enough to make very much above the increase in the required insurance costs.

Honestly I think it's completely reasonable. If she is charging you for a lesson, a short ride and a couple of hours on her property. I used to charge $25 per person for a group lesson and no out of the saddle instruction. Horse stuff is costly, it just is.

You could ask for a group rate, she may accomodate that, but all in all, I think it is reasonable. Large families are costly but it's our choice to have them and we just have to expect that it's going to be more when we go out. When I go out to dinner I know it's going to be expensive for all of us, I don't expect to get it cheaper because there are a lot of us.

Edited by LaissezFaire

I don't think the amount is unreasonable *but* I'd like to get more than 10 minutes of riding in a 2 hr class.

What are the age ranges of your kids? 1 hr + 50 minutes of horsemanship before getting on the horse, and someone's going to be dreadfully antsy--and than rather disappointed when they need to get right back off. I wonder if she's done this before. :001_huh:

I haven't read all the other responses but $15 a person for 2 hours of instruction with a bit of beginning riding sounds like a great deal. It's not her fault that you have a bigger sized party. :) If a group of people unrelated showed up individually, expecting $15 a piece from them would be highly reasonable. If I could find something like that around here, I'd do it. However, I only have 2 old enough to do it.

Maybe do it with just a couple or few of the children who would have big interest? Just an idea. :)

I wish we could get lessons for $15 per person! Around here (Vegas) I can only find lessons for about $30-50 per lesson, and they recommend lessons weekly. My poor dd would love to ride but we can't afford $200 per month!

That is what lessons cost here too. This is not for a lesson.

Way back in the 80's, we had to pay $20 per person to go horseback riding for one hour. $15 for 2 hours sounds pretty good.

Again, this isn't for actual riding time.

$15 a person is very reasonable. I'd be willing to pay $25 a person. It would be nice to ride longer though.

I try to keep our field trip costs under $100. Trains into and out of the city, plus subway trips usually run about $25. Plus of course there is lunch and snacks. Then there is the actual cost of the event/trip/concert or whatever. But it certainly does add up quickly.

When we do something like concerts at $40 or so a person, plus the transportation costs, I tend to feel a little guilty spending that much money. When that happens, (like last Feb, when we had two concerts in the same month) I try and drop a eat-out night or two and cook a little more that month.

Maybe, if you really want to do it, you could eat in an extra night that month. Maybe make it a cowboy themed dinner so the kids know giving up that dining out night was special for the horseback riding.

I wish there was something like that around here for us to do. I'd love to take my son to it! Good luck!

LOL. I can't even imagine regularly spending that amount of money on field trips. When I say I have no money, that's pretty much what I mean. Then again, if I lived that close to NYC, I'd be tempted to do a lot too!

If this ranch is going to handle you and seven children within the same two hour period, we would assume she has more than one horse and a staff member or two for moving things along. If not, there will be lots of standing around and waiting.

Actually the rate seems quite reasonable. Just think of what it will cost you to take in entertainment, etc. as the years go by. I would have assumed that you had already noticed the high sum totals of going to other events unless you have made it a practice to visit free events such as a picnic table at a public park.

Actually, I haven't really noticed high totals because we don't do much. My sister gave us a family membership to the zoo for Christmas, and that was only $45, I think, and we can go as many times as we want. Compared to that, this field trip is insanely expensive LOL. We don't all go out to eat (not even fast food) and we don't go to movies. Oh, and I don't think she has any staff yet.

I wouldn't pay $15 for only a ten minute ride per kid. $15 for two hours including a 30-45 minute ride sounds totally reasonable. I would ask if there's a group rate, but I would expect it to be terribly discounted. Maybe $10-12 per person which is still costly when multiplied by large families.

Is there a way you could take only the kids that would be the most interested in this field trip and maybe take the others to another trip that they would be more interested in?

I assumed they would all enjoy it.

Many people have given you good responses. I wili just add my 2 cents worth...the price is extremely reasonable. The rideing time is very realistic with how many kids you are talking. From her email she sounds sweet and worth getting to know...you never know what doors would open up for dd who has some experience.

I would probly try to take fewer children. Maybe finding and alternative for those under 6 or 7, or see if she can offer a price break if the younger's don't ride, or just sit for a pic.

Lastly, there are many reasons I don't do these types of things anymore, but one of the biggies is being asked to come down when I'm already offering reasonable rates. It's discourageing.

Plus, the work begins long before you guys show up. Makeing sure the horses are not a muddy mess, are sound and not haveing and off day, that some animal didn't wander into the barn and die...things like that.

That's a good point about the work beginning before we got there. And she does really sound sweet. I would love it if I could afford for my older dd to take lessons with her.

But how long were you on the horse? The way this is presented, of those 2 hours, only 10 minutes will be on a horse.

I think it's worth considering what you're trying to get out of the field trip: if it's a lesson in horse care, then the $15/person is worth it. If your children are really only interested in riding a horse, then the $15 isn't worth it for 10 minutes of riding.

LOL, pretty much my thought process went something like, "Oh, they love going to the zoo. I bet they would all love going to the ranch and seeing the horses close up and learning about them." But I'm not paying $100 for that!

This is what I would and have done.

Also are you wanting a field trip or a riding lesson, I think it is two different things. And I'd bet she doesn't have a second horse and person there, so I'd expect lots of waiting and standing. (just saying ime, could be wrong. Ask her! :))

On a field trip, I don't expect to pay $15 a person for the majority of my time to be spent either cleaning their horse for them ;) or being talked too, but maybe others have a different perspective.

I think I'd call around the home school group and ask if we could bring someone lunch or dinner and visit for the afternoon on their ranch seeing life. Free, make a new friend, maybe learn some more.

And we are frugal too. Paying for field trips and movie tickets? Why? We have netflix and museum/zoo memberships and can't imagine paying for what you describe, much less paying that much per person.

Of course, no hard feelings towards her about it and I doubt I'd say anything to her. I'd just say thanks, we'll think about it and never book.

A person after my own heart! :001_smile:

I do understand what you're saying as well :001_smile: .

For me, as a business owner, mom, wife, homeschooler if I'm going to take time away from my family, from my other obligations...from myself, lol, I need to be making an income to do it. It's just not worth investing the time, energy and talent into something if it's not being made worthwhile.

I love my job and while the joy I get from it is a great benefit if I'm not bringing in extra money I can get the same joy from just keeping it as a hobby for myself as opposed to working for free, kwim?

Absolutely! I completely agree.

The rate is reasonable *for what it includes*, but it's ridiculous for what it sounds like you actually WANT from the experience, which is what you really need to consider.

For the record, trail rides on hack horses run about $35/hr around here, with a brief intro for beginners. But everyone gets to ride for a good 45 minutes, all at the same time.

Yes, see what I wrote above. I will pass on the privilege of paying $100 for my dc to see horses close up! :D

Well- that would be out of my budget, for sure, but not an unreasonable rate in my area at all. It would be a pretty good deal here.

This is at her home? Think of what she/her family has to pay in insurance just to have you on the property interacting with the horses. Yikes. I looked into boarding horses on my property and I wouldn't have been able to charge enough to make very much above the increase in the required insurance costs.

I am not sure if she lives there or not.

Honestly I think it's completely reasonable. If she is charging you for a lesson, a short ride and a couple of hours on her property. I used to charge $25 per person for a group lesson and no out of the saddle instruction. Horse stuff is costly, it just is.

You could ask for a group rate, she may accomodate that, but all in all, I think it is reasonable. Large families are costly but it's our choice to have them and we just have to expect that it's going to be more when we go out. When I go out to dinner I know it's going to be expensive for all of us, I don't expect to get it cheaper because there are a lot of us.

True. LOL we don't go out to dinner either!

I don't think the amount is unreasonable *but* I'd like to get more than 10 minutes of riding in a 2 hr class.

What are the age ranges of your kids? 1 hr + 50 minutes of horsemanship before getting on the horse, and someone's going to be dreadfully antsy--and than rather disappointed when they need to get right back off. I wonder if she's done this before. :001_huh:

I wonder too. The range is 14 -2, with 4 being 7 and under. And it's actually the younger ones that I especially wanted to go LOL!

$15 for two hours including a 30-45 minute ride sounds totally reasonable.

A 2 hour lesson on horse care, including 30-45 minutes of riding would cost at least $50 and probably closer to $75 at most riding schools. Riding lessons around here generally cost from $30 (45 minute large group lesson) to $60-75 (1 hr private lesson).

I think $15 per child is quite reasonable for the field trip the OP described, but obviously when one person is paying for 7 people, it gets expensive. Also, keep in mind that there's not much a child can do on a horse if they don't really know how to ride — 30-45 minutes of just sitting on a horse while it walks around the paddock would get extremely boring! Ten to fifteen minutes is probably about right for a child who's never been on a horse before.

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

I wish my dds' dance school did it that way. We're up to 5 classes a week for both kids combined, but I have to pay for a 3-class rate and a 2-class rate, which is waaay more expensive. :glare:

I don't understand this at all. The way our dance studio works, the more classes you take, the more of a discount you get on each additional class. I can't imagine being charged more per hour just because I'm taking more classes. Is that what you mean?

Lisa

I pay $30.00 an hour or $15.00 per 30 minutes for my children to take dressage lessons with a trainer who won reserve champion with her arab gelding in the "in-hand" event at regionals in Indianapolis this summer. She is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME with kids as well as a true expert. I have each child take a half-hour lesson one-on-one.

Horses and horse training are very expensive but generally less than many piano and violin teachers charge. My problem would be $105.00 and not getting a half-hour of her undivided attention with each child.

Buyer beware...we have a lot of 4-H graduates in our area, whose only competition and training was within 4-H who advertise as experts and charge large sums of money to train younger children. This has been a disaster. 4-H is great but it isn't a level of training and competition that makes these 19 year olds Experts. So, if you are even thinking about taking your ds to her even for just a single event field trip, please ask around and find out what the credentials actually are. My dear friend just fired her trainer, one of these 4-H grads, who nearly got her little girl killed and it was because of inexperience and lack of training in how to teach riding.

Faith

Would you pay this for a field trip? If you think her prices are out of line, should I email her back and say so?

Only if I had a child that was interested either in veterinary medicine or dressage and I could afford for them to ride. Only the interested child would go. It would have to be much, much cheaper for a group to go. There are very few field trips around here that charge, most offer field trips as a community relations/pr type thing. The most I have seen a price for is for a day trip that involved a lot of biology teaching and a trip out on the ocean to dolphin watch - even that I think was around $35-50 per person. I considered that to be worth the price. Local field trips are usually free or about $3 to cover cost of materials if the kids make something.

One thing to consider, though is her cost - does she have to buy additional insurance to have the public on her property? If so, that might be the reason for the high cost.

Edited by TechWife
adding info