Menu

A poll about your mom - for no other reason than curiosity.

What is the status of your mom?  

1. 1. What is the status of your mom?

• My mom is alive but I have little to no contact with her.
    • My mom is alive and I am in touch with her on occasion.
    • My mom is alive and we are frequently in contact.
    • My mom is not alive but it has little to no impact on my life.
    • My mom is not alive and I miss her dearly.
    • I do not know if my mom is alive or not.
    • Other

Just been thinking about my mom lately and was curious what boat others were in. I know there has to be an "other" but, if you can, just answer the one that is closest to your situation.

If you have more than one "mom", choose the one that you consider to be your mom the most.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My family is very close and I speak with my mom several times per week. When we lived 45 minutes away from their house, I used to visit them at least once a week. Now that we're on opposite coasts, I visit twice per year and they usually come out to see us once or twice per year.

...by phone. We also text each other frequently, often if for no other reason than to say, "I'm having a good cup of coffee--wish you were here with me" or "It's storming outside!" or "I have a prayer request for you". Everyone who knows her adores her. She is a wonderful mother and grandmother--and mother-in-law, according to dh. She is one of the finest Christian women I have ever known.

Edited by ereks mom

My mom is in CA and I'm in TX, and we both wish it was not so. We usually only see eachother once a year and it's becoming a pattern that we have to go there because she and my step-dad have developed a fear/hatred of flying.:confused: But we talk once a week or more and I think we are close.

My mom is not alive. She died during heart surgery 15 days before my dd14 was born. The given choices don't fit my situation, because she does impact my life now, in the sense that sometimes I think "what would you have done Mom?" when I'm mulling over something. She did the best she could, and passed on the faith to me. She didn't share much about how she felt about major life changes - wish she had told me what to expect with menopause! I'm glad I can talk about these things with my older sister who lives 2,000 miles away.

I voted alive with occasional contact, but I could also have said frequent contact. We get on well...we just live on opposite sides of the continent. We stay in contact mostly through emails and Facebook, with occasional phone calls. I would love to see her more often but its not practical. And neither of us are "I have to talk to her every day/week" kind of people. We probably have some kind of contact every 2-3 weeks, but that may just be an email or a FB comment.

FB is good for our kind of situation. My kids and I are both connected to her so she gets ideas of what they are up to ...photos, camps etc

My mom lives 10 minutes away and I talk to her every day. My MIL is also close by and some weeks I talk to her every day but at least 2-3 times per week. I am close to both and know how incredibly blessed I am to have them.

BTW-- They are both tremendously supportive of our decision to homeschool. My mom has purchased the majority of my curriculum as she does for my brother and sister (my whole family homeschools). My MIL keeps a list in her purse of books we need and scours garage sales and thrift stores for anything we need.

I voted, but still felt the need to write that my mom is my best friend. These last 11 weeks since my ds died, she has been a rock for me. She loved him as much as I did. He was born on her birthday. Yet, she has let me call her every single day and cry hysterically and she just listens. I do not know what I would do without her.

I voted "not alive and little to no impact on my life." Of course I still miss her from time to time, but it has been about 30 years since she died at a relatively young age. I was a young adult. We always had a good relationship, and I had a tremendous amount of respect for her.

I voted that she is alive and we have frequent contact. She lives close by and is very supportive of to our family. I am very blessed in my relationship with my Mom.

:iagree:

My mom lives two country miles away (still in my childhood home). I talk to her several times a week, if not every day, and see her very frequently. I can't imagine not having her in my life. I'm also blessed to have two sisters/best friends who live close by. We are a very close family.

I talk to my mom daily. She is one of the strongest people I know. My dad and little brother were killed in a car accident but she somehow found the strength to still be our mom during it all. I don't know how she did it but I will forever be grateful and in awe. I so want to be her when I really grow up!

I voted mom alive and frequent contact.... Does living with me for a year count as frequent??? We talk, ooohh, 100 times a day. She lives 2 hours away, and has my kids for the week for VBS at her house. She is babysitting for the 7 weeks I am working this summer as archery instructor and canoe instructor for summer camp.

and, she is a former montessori teacher. She has taken on the poetry part of sonlight core 3. she just kinda goes with the flow.

I constantly say to her, " i love you being here and I love you to go home." She says to me that, "she loves being at my house and she loves going home."

Robin in NJ

I am in touch with my mom on occasion, but if we weren't related, we wouldn't be. We used to only talk a few times a year, but recently I have been calling her more as my grandmother passed away this winter and they were very close. I know my mom is depressed due to the loneliness she feels so I try to call her for no other reason than to just let her talk. We really have very little connection as we are radically different from one another...:(

I call my parents every Monday morning rain or shine. If something unusual happens I may call on another day as well. I usually talk to my dad because my mom is very hard of hearing. But occasionally when she is having a good hearing day then she'll get on the phone. She does 80% of the talking even then and I have to make sure she knows the subject of what I'm going to say so that she can make an educated guess as to what I'm saying. But even though most of my communication is through my dad, my mom is always there and is telling him things to tell me or is asking him to tell her what I've said. So I consider my weekly phone calls to be to both of them.:)

My mom is deceased and I miss her dearly. She passed away 5 days after my oldest dd was born. She died of breast cancer. She had only been diagnosed the week before, so it was really sudden. She and I were very close and she would have been an amazing grandmother.

I voted that my mom is not alive and I miss her dearly because the choice about it not being a big impact on me didn't sound right. Actually my mom died 27 years ago of a sudden heart attack. I was a young adult, was not married nor have children yet. It isn't a big impact on me, but I sure wish she could have known my family. She would have loved them I'm sure.

My mother-in-love died almost 5 years ago and that has been a big impact on our family. We miss her so much.

Sadly, my mom passed away when I was 19, well before I was married or had a child. It had a huge impact on me and I deeply regret she never knew her grandchildren (either my daughter or my younger sister's children). However, if she had lived, it's entirely possible I might not have my husband.

I lost my mom 8 months ago today. I miss her every day. We were close, talking several times a week. In my twenties, I did not have the best relationship with her - all those growing pains that many do in their teens, I did in my twenties. When I was a new mother, our relationship became more strained due to her critical nature (and my choice to do things very differently from her.) Eventually, she came to respect that I was a grown up, capable of making my own choices and it was ok if those choices were different. For the last 15 years, we had a great relationship, one that was able to weather her health changes and a new dynamic caused by her increasing dependence on others.

Oh dear. I'm the only vote for 'I do not know if my mom is alive or not'. :001_unsure:

:grouphug: Yeah, well if it weren't for the internet and being able to keep track of people, I would have ticked that one also. I don't expect to be receiving any phone calls or announcements should my mama pass away.

Glad to hear so many people have wonderful relationships with their mamas. I hope ya'll realise just how blessed you are.