Menu

Whatever happened to...

Just paying cash for stuff?

It seems everywhere I go, the customers (always ahead of me in line :cursing:) have some sort of 'card,' I'm NOT talking about a Credit Card or Bank card...I'm talking about some crazy thing, whether it's some kind of 'public assistance,' (for a 12-pak of beer? OH PLEASE!!) or 'club' card for the shop I'm in, or whatever,

that requires 10 minutes to transact, esp. in convenience stores -

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF IT'S A CONVENIENCE STORE IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE CONVENIENT...THAT MEANS I WANT TO BE IN & OUT FAST!!!!!!!!!!! LET ME PAY FOR MY COFFEE AND GET OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! And they want their $0.05 off the regular price of an item that's 300% overpriced anyway? Ugh...

Am I crazy? Did I just offend 95% of the board? Please calibrate me!!

I always use cash but I find it usually takes longer. :glare:

Most clerks have no clue how to count out change. If they punch something wrong into the register they are left scratching their head trying to figure out the correct change.

But I was blown away the other day in my little locally owned grocery store. The lady in front of me was actually writing out a CHECK. WHAT? Who uses checks anymore? :001_huh:

I always use cash but I find it usually takes longer. :glare:

Most clerks have no clue how to count out change. If they punch something wrong into the register they are left scratching their head trying to figure out the correct change.

But I was blown away the other day in my little locally owned grocery store. The lady in front of me was actually writing out a CHECK. WHAT? Who uses checks anymore? :001_huh:

:iagree:

I've found peace with waiting in line. What drives me nuts is the people that send out the dark clouds and lightening bolts because they freak out whenever the people infront of them aren't moving fast enough.

:grouphug:

Meant with love ;)

:iagree:

I

My mother and grandmother use checks. It's just one reason I can't stand shopping with them. My mother also takes her sweet time writing the check too. Sooooo annoying.

I prefer cash because I will spend less than when swiping my debit card. I too have had the issue of the clerk not being able to figure out change. Yesterday at the grocery I stopped for a couple of things. My total was 11.01 I gave them 21.01 becaue I wanted a $10 back. She was greatly confused about why I was giving her the $1 bill and the $20. :001_huh:

Well, I'm tired of my expanding wallet...more and more of those "club cards" all the time! But I like getting the club card price and/or the gift card bonuses, coupons for free stuff that come in the mail, etc. because I can pull out the appropriate card to be swiped at the checkout. That's more cash in my pocket even if it doesn't jingle or crinkle. :)

For your sake, I hope you're never in line behind me because if the store has a rewards card you can bet I've got it...and maybe even some coupons, too! :D

We live in a VERY small town that still has counter checks at the little grocery store! There are price tags on the items, and the checker has to type the price into the register, as they don't have a scanner. They also don't have the ability to take credit or debit cards.

Regarding the OP, scanning a store card and a debit card takes no more time than using cash. Swipe, swipe, and you're done.

I can't even REMEMBER the last time I paid with cash. I never even carry it. I only pay with debit card, but it doesn't take any longer than cash, imo.

:iagree: as for coupons and other means of reducing the cost.

I'm not offended by you.

I'm happy you can afford the luxury of the convience of not worrying about your budget.

It's not one many people have these days.

:iagree: as for coupons and other means of reducing the cost.

I'm not offended by you.

I'm happy you can afford the luxury of the convience of not worrying about your budget.

It's not one many people have these days.

I'm confused. How is using a debit card different from using cash or a check as far as one's budget is concerned?

I'm confused. How is using a debit card different from using cash or a check as far as one's budget is concerned?

Sorry for being unclear. I was referencing the use of coupons, clubs cards are so forth to bring down the total, which was part of the op complaint. :)

I've found peace with waiting in line. What drives me nuts is the people that send out the dark clouds and lightening bolts because they freak out whenever the people infront of them aren't moving fast enough.

Meant with love ;)

I actually LIKE waiting in line. I'm a people watcher. However, I usually feel badly at making other people wait while the clerk figures out how to subtract.

I'm not sure I understand your complaint. Is it that people don't use cash? You say it's not about the use of debit or credit cards (which I'll agree have largely replaced cash, and I generally find to be quicker and more convenient anyway). Or is it that stores insist on customers joining their "club" in order to get what should be the standard prices and sale prices anyway?

Perhaps you need less coffee.

Just paying cash for stuff?

It seems everywhere I go, the customers (always ahead of me in line :cursing:) have some sort of 'card,' I'm NOT talking about a Credit Card or Bank card...I'm talking about some crazy thing, whether it's some kind of 'public assistance,' (for a 12-pak of beer? OH PLEASE!!) or 'club' card for the shop I'm in, or whatever,

that requires 10 minutes to transact, esp. in convenience stores -

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF IT'S A CONVENIENCE STORE IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE CONVENIENT...THAT MEANS I WANT TO BE IN & OUT FAST!!!!!!!!!!! LET ME PAY FOR MY COFFEE AND GET OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! And they want their $0.05 off the regular price of an item that's 300% overpriced anyway? Ugh...

Am I crazy? Did I just offend 95% of the board? Please calibrate me!!

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about. Club cards are swiped just like a debit or CC. Food stamp cards are swiped, too, and AFAIC, they do NOT allow alcohol purchases on food stamp cards. In fact, in my experience, paying with cash takes longer because it has to be counted out, as well as the change. I pay with my debit card for most things. I have a few club cards for various places. The club card is swiped, the debit card is swiped, all done. Heck, even when I have a check, the store prints the amount on it; all I have to do is sign!

So, your complaint is confusing to me.

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about. Club cards are swiped just like a debit or CC. Food stamp cards are swiped, too, and AFAIC, they do NOT allow alcohol purchases on food stamp cards. In fact, in my experience, paying with cash takes longer because it has to be counted out, as well as the change. I pay with my debit card for most things. I have a few club cards for various places. The club card is swiped, the debit card is swiped, all done. Heck, even when I have a check, the store prints the amount on it; all I have to do is sign!

So, your complaint is confusing to me.

You aren't the target of the complaint...I see people who act completely surprised, after their items are rung up, that they need to dig out that card, scan it, sign something, oh, that one doesn't work...let's see if I have another one...I think the dog ate...can I fill out a new one, or have my mom bring it over here? can I use your phone? Aaaah!!!!!

You sound efficient and prepared, and I applaud you...

Paying for a "12-pak" of beer with a 'public assistance' card is fraud. Do you really see this?
Oh, yeah. Often.

all the time, and cigarettes, and lots of junk food (doritos, etc). Mentioned it to a cop buddy once, asked whether I should tell anyone, he just laughed...

Meant with love ;)

I'm an introvert, and an amiable...you'd never know by looking at me if I'm delighted, sanguine, or completely enraged...but I hear you...taken with love!

Perhaps you need less coffee.
Blasphemy!!

It just seems so bureaucratic to me! If you are a 'member' with the secret decoder ring, you get this price...if you are a one-armed paper hanger, you get this price, etc...can I just pay and go?? I never used to see this just a few years ago...

I must say, I agree with you on the club card thing. I hate having so many. To me, if *everyone and anyone* can get one...just forget the card and lower the prices for *all*.

But, of course, then they can't track our purchases and see what's hot and what's not, etc.

LOL Me too! I end up chatting with folks as well. I also like red lights. Gives me a chance to change CDs. Yesterday, a guy in front of me, in an open jeep, dressed in shorts and a tank, so maybe not on his way to an emergency went totally balistic when the guy in front of him didn't go through the yellow light. I was thinking, 'what the heck are you getting all work up about?" It's 2 minutes of your life, and you just put about a year's worth of stress on your heart. :chillpill:

I live in a small-ish town, population-wise, and I shop at the same local places and end up seeing people I know. I had a conversation yesterday at the Farm Stand (different from Farmer's Market) with an an older gent I hadn't met before about how to water tomatoes. He was very patient as the gal ringing up my order was also filling a bag of greens (carrot & beat tops, the less pretty leaves from lettuce etc) for my chickens. She knows me and she knows I like these discards. It takes a couple of minutes more to do this, but i like living in a community.

I do write out checks, although I also have a debit card. Some of the smaller places , such as the farm where we buy our meat, does not take cards, and they prefer checks because the box is honor system. It's better for them not to have a ton of cash hanging around the place. the place where we buy our chicken grain does not take cards, but they do take checks. It doesn't cost them anything to take a check they know is good.

Of course, I am one of those dyslexic people who has to count backwards very slowly, so I wouldn't make a very good cashier. I am pretty patient with those folks as well.

I actually LIKE waiting in line. I'm a people watcher. However, I usually feel badly at making other people wait while the clerk figures out how to subtract.
Edited by LibraryLover

It just seems so bureaucratic to me! If you are a 'member' with the secret decoder ring, you get this price...if you are a one-armed paper hanger, you get this price, etc...can I just pay and go?? I never used to see this just a few years ago...

That is why I go to Kroger only if I can't find what I'm looking for in another store here in town. I hate their membership card.

I am very proud of your patience, Barry Goldwater. It took you 108 posts to get around to complaining about people on assistance buying alcohol with government money. That's pretty good. Maybe a record. Also, extra points for creativity. You didn't say "Steaks". :001_smile:

Paying for a "12-pak" of beer with a 'public assistance' card is fraud. Do you really see this?

Not all cards that are used for public assistance are food cards nor are the purchases regulated on the 'cash' part of the program. My dd3's assistance comes to me on a card that is the same one used for public assistance. I can buy whatever I want with it, yes even beer, and no it isn't fraud. It is the same money that used to come to families in the form of a check to cash. It just happens to be on the same card that the food stamp program uses. No, I am not destitute. No, I do not dress like I live below the poverty line. Because I am not. DD3 who legally is her own household, is.

I don't mind store cards. They are all on my key ring, along with my library card so I don't have to look for them. But we don't shop membership places like Sam's.

I NEVER pay cash. I usually have cash on me, and forget I've got it! LOL! It's just so much easier to put everything on the credit card. No fussing with cash, no worries of not having enough or running out and having to go back to the ATM. My husband goes to the ATM, pulls out cash and hands me my part. There have been times I've had to give him back some because I've already got so much from the last two ATM trips I can't hold it all in my wallet. LOL! He finds the statement "You have to take some of this, I just have too much cash!" very funny for some reason.

What drives me crazy is the people that don't have Easy Pass! They back traffic up for miles sitting in the cash lane, blocking the Easy Pass lanes! It should be a law that if you register a car in the Northeast, you should have to register for Easy Pass then too. You think it takes forever for people to dig out cards in the grocery store? Try an hour to go a 1/2 mile because the cash lanes have everything blocked!

Where I live you cannot purchase alcohol or cigarettes with the food stamp card; it is impossible because of the way the items ring up. Not that people don't commit fraud and get away with it, I think we need to be careful when making such broad assumptions. I would hate to think that somebody made that assumption about me when I'm buying that 12 pack of beer and swiping my card.

Debit cards are not credit; the cash is deducted directly from your checking account. Actually, they are very quick as long as the system is working which ime it usually is.

I have been using cash almost exclusively for the last year because of the way we're budgeting our money. It works for us. It's not the easiest method, though. There's been several times when the cashier did not have enough change for a $100. bill. Also, by the time I pull out the exact cash - or wait for change - it would have been quicker to swipe a card. We were in Sears a couple weeks ago, and the sales clerk told us we were the first people to use cash he'd seen in several days.

I will continue to use cash because I like it and it helps me with my budget, however, I could care less how others pay for their purchases.

I have two things I hate= one is going to a department store and the person in front of you is deciding to get the credit card they are offering for a discount on today's purchase. These are a lot worse than store card things. Those they usually hand you the form to fill out later and just swipe the new card. The credit card offer is often fraught with problems like the person having bad credit or not being a legal resident.

The other problem I hate is people writing checks. Invariably these are done by not very ambient quite elderly people who also don't hear or see the amount correctly. I live in an area with a lot of elderly people and most of them are current on their banking and transacting knowledge. It is a small minority that writes checks and they all seem to be in a declining state.

I don't do anything to these people, just try to find a lane in which to switch.

Well, I avoid convenience stores, but I am usually one of those horrible, backward, inconsiderate people paying for something with a (gasp!) check. It's a stick-in-the-mud pleasure, my way of being old-fashioned, getting a little old lady cred before my hair actually turns gray.

:) My dh still writes checks if he isn't using cash. He's got his feet firmly planted and refuses to budge.

If you don't want to wait in line, shop online. Hire a shopper. Have your items delivered.

I think people are in too much of a hurry these days (yes, I am busy too!). If you want it now, and can't wait 60 seconds for the person ahead of you to run a payment card, then don't go to the store! If buying that soda in a convenience store is not convenient...then don't go in. it really is that simple. Pack a cooler, buy something out of a soda machine so you don't have to talk to a human.

I hear people complain about having to wait 2 minutes in line....dear God, seriously...2 minutes! It you are in that much of a rush because you didn't allow enough time, don't blame the person ahead of you!

I get soooo tired of people making someone who decides to write a check feel bad. The worst are the people who rush the elderly. This is what they know, this is what they are comfortable with. Just give them a break, we will all be there soon enough. Let them write their check, give them a smile and I promise everyone will have a better day. It is amazing how flustered the elderly get when they feel the glares and hostility from the people behind them, (yes they know who you are-they feel it just like everyone else does.) It takes more time to deal with someone who is talking on a cell phone, thatn someone who is writing a check. People don't realize how slow they are while they chat away. I often my check writers, 'take you time, stay where you are (people get pushed aside as they write in their register), you are my customer at this moment, and you have every right to finish your transaction without feeling rushed." It is amazing how many times I can see their body language change and they relax, sometimes actually speeding up the process because they are no longer flustered.

But it's so much easier to use your credit card than to write a check. You don't have to remember to write it in your check register. You don't have to balance a ton of extra checks every month. You don't have worry about moving money into the checking account from savings when you went to the grocery store three times that week. You just deal with all that with one payment (check or electronic) at the end of the month when you pay your credit card. I know people need to write checks for other things -utilities, insurance, whatever, but why write all the extras for coffee and groceries and little things? It just seems so much simpler.

If you don't want to wait in line, shop online. Hire a shopper. Have your items delivered.

I think people are in too much of a hurry these days (yes, I am busy too!). If you want it now, and can't wait 60 seconds for the person ahead of you to run a payment card, then don't go to the store! If buying that soda in a convenience store is not convenient...then don't go in. it really is that simple. Pack a cooler, buy something out of a soda machine so you don't have to talk to a human.

I hear people complain about having to wait 2 minutes in line....dear God, seriously...2 minutes! It you are in that much of a rush because you didn't allow enough time, don't blame the person ahead of you!

I get soooo tired of people making someone who decides to write a check feel bad. The worst are the people who rush the elderly. This is what they know, this is what they are comfortable with. Just give them a break, we will all be there soon enough.

I do shop online, a lot...it's wonderful.

I'm not talking about 2 minutes, or the elderly (I'm not a complete a$$!) This latest was a solid, verified 15 minutes and one person after another, all adults, all apparently with NOTHING pressing them for time and no competency (forgotten PINS, wrong card, card don't work cause they didn't pay the bill, all that...). In hindsight, I should have abandoned the line and taken it down the road, but I was in an optimistic mood I guess. Won't likely happen again.

I am very proud of your patience, Barry Goldwater. It took you 108 posts to get around to complaining about people on assistance buying alcohol with government money. That's pretty good. Maybe a record. Also, extra points for creativity. You didn't say "Steaks". :001_smile:

OK, Librarylover, well done...you made me LOL. Is this political, too, or more a commentary on this forum, or all forums...can be taken on all levels, all funny.:lol:

What is this cash thing that you speak of? :tongue_smilie: I haven't carried cash in years. The only problem I have ever run into is when I want something out of a vending machine. I keep wondering why in the heck don't that add a debit card reader to them like everything else. :glare:

I've found that I don't have the discipline to carry cash. When I have it, it gets spent on junk that I don't need...often candy. I also lose things. And, because I lose it, I worry about that constantly when I have a bunch of it in my purse for a specific purpose. I also worry about purse snatchings (my neighbor had her purse snatched 1/2 block away from our house at the bus stop) and having all of our grocery money stolen. Debit cards can be canceled; cash can't.

What is this cash thing that you speak of? :tongue_smilie: I haven't carried cash in years. The only problem I have ever run into is when I want something out of a vending machine. I keep wondering why in the heck don't that add a debit card reader to them like everything else. :glare:

I have seen vending machines with a card reader. Our local mall has one and I've seen them in tourist areas.

I find using my debit card is usually faster than cash, especially at the grocery store. I can run through my card, do all the PIN numbers/signatures/etc. before the cashier is even done ringing up the items. Then its just one button to push to approve the total and done.

ETA: I put my store club card on the belt in front of the first of my groceries so it usually gets scanned while I'm still unloading my carriage. Doesn't seem to add anything to the time taken - it's pretty much just scanning one more item.

Edited by dottieanna29

My dd3's assistance comes to me on a card that is the same one used for public assistance. I can buy whatever I want with it, yes even beer, and no it isn't fraud.

Is the beer for you or her?

I guess it would depend on the day. ;)

I use cash mostly. I live in a place where most businesses didn't even accept credit cards 20 years ago. So, the habit was formed long ago. Heck, most homes didn't even have phones 25 years ago. So, we're a bit different here.

I have a few friends (and now my DH) who are enjoying the high unemployment that is so in vogue with this economy. He and a few friends get unemployment and it looks like the same type of card that food stamps comes on but works just like a debit card. If he wants to buy beer or whiskey or steaks or junk food or gas for his truck then what's the problem. I really get disgusted at everyone who is so busy worrying about what others are doing with their own money. I'm sure some people are using food stamps inappropriately but I don't worry about it. I'm only responsible for myself and my actions. Getting mad about what other people are doing or what I think they are getting away with isn't helpful to anyone.

You aren't the target of the complaint...I see people who act completely surprised, after their items are rung up, that they need to dig out that card, scan it, sign something, oh, that one doesn't work...let's see if I have another one...I think the dog ate...can I fill out a new one, or have my mom bring it over here? can I use your phone? Aaaah!!!!!

Sometimes crap happens. My dh and I have 2 joint accounts. He pays the bills out of one, I use the other for household spending. He transfers money to my account on payday. One time? He forgot to transfer the funds. I was at Costco and my card did not work. I *was* shocked! :lol: I used the card for his account (so it didn't take THAT log) and then used my phone to transfer my funds after I was done.

It's really hard living amongst humans, believe me, I know.

Is the beer for you or her?

I guess it would depend on the day. ;)

I use cash mostly. I live in a place where most businesses didn't even accept credit cards 20 years ago. So, the habit was formed long ago. Heck, most homes didn't even have phones 25 years ago. So, we're a bit different here.

LOL....Me, but I probably do need a bit more due to raising her. LOL

Her little bit of money that comes to us is for all of her expenses, (actually everything but food...as she doesn't get food assistance (love the way gvt words things). Like paying for her 'rent' and utilities. Her bit, just goes into the household fund. Since, my mortgage company doesn't take her card (LOL) I use it for our regular household groceries, beer and all. :D