Menu

Whatever happened to...

What is this cash thing that you speak of? :tongue_smilie: I haven't carried cash in years. The only problem I have ever run into is when I want something out of a vending machine. I keep wondering why in the heck don't that add a debit card reader to them like everything else. :glare:

you took my answer! :D

Last time I was in the airport, the vending machines also took debit/credit cards. I was almost tempted to buy a $2 pop just for the convenience of using my card!

I can't even REMEMBER the last time I paid with cash. I never even carry it. I only pay with debit card, but it doesn't take any longer than cash, imo.

:iagree:Hunting for change, now that takes embarassingly long, not to mention stuff falling out of my purse, change rolling across the floor, as I dig for the coins I need. Nope, debit card all the way around here too. The only cash I usually have is the kids' allowance (which I get as "cash back" when using my debit at the supermarket ;)).

I love paying with cash. It's very easy for my simple brain to calculate, when it's out you're done spending. :D

:iagree: When there is no more money in the envelope... you are done shopping! I also like carrying change -- as I like to give exact change. We also have a bowl for loose change to collect the entire year. We end up giving the proceeds to my son -- who either rolls it or does the Coinstar vending machine (we warn him he will lose $$ doing this method as they charge a fee) to deposit it in his savings.

Edited by tex-mex

I use credit card for just about everything! We make 2% on every $100 we spend. We always pay it off each month.

I do not use credit cards. And I am asking this in true sincerity... as I am curious... how does that reflect on the 2% cashback amount -- did you take into account the fees paid? :confused:

In my head, that is like $2 back from a $100 purchase, right? How much APR% did the credit card company charge you for that month's bill? Deduct that from the $2 -- and that is your true cashback? (Let's say your APR is 9% -- did you pay an extra $9 in fees for the $100 purchase?) Hope this makes sense.

Edited by tex-mex

I do not use credit cards. And I am asking this in true sincerity... as I am curious... how does that reflect on the 2% cashback amount -- did you take into account the fees paid? :confused:

In my head, that is like $2 back from a $100 purchase, right? How much APR% did the credit card company charge you for that month's bill? Deduct that from the $2 -- and that is your true cashback? (Let's say your APR is 9% -- did you pay an extra $9 in fees for the $100 purchase?) Hope this makes sense.

Assuming you pay off every month b4 any finance charges kick in, you are ahead...if you miss the deadline for payment (even by 1 day), or pay only part of balance, you are likely in the hole, depending on the amount. And one late-fee can clobber your cashback too.

I actually LIKE waiting in line. I'm a people watcher. However, I usually feel badly at making other people wait while the clerk figures out how to subtract.

I'm another small towner and every shopping trip means some sort of reunion :p

I have to say, though, I'm all patience with clerks anymore. I've seen them go through so much garbage, just for trying to do their job (those poor people, when they're forced to card someone.......).

You aren't the target of the complaint...I see people who act completely surprised, after their items are rung up, that they need to dig out that card, scan it, sign something, oh, that one doesn't work...let's see if I have another one...I think the dog ate...can I fill out a new one, or have my mom bring it over here? can I use your phone? Aaaah!!!!!

I've had one time where dh's check was not accepted. We did have to use the phone. It ended up taking us over a month to find out that someone else with a similar social security number had bounced multiple checks at that particular chain. I'm WAY more patient with those situations now (thank God the people behind me were kind, at that time I would've been fuming).

You sound efficient and prepared, and I applaud you...

all the time, and cigarettes, and lots of junk food (doritos, etc). Mentioned it to a cop buddy once, asked whether I should tell anyone, he just laughed...

That's so sad. I'm so sick of people just shrugging off those things.

I'm an introvert, and an amiable...you'd never know by looking at me if I'm delighted, sanguine, or completely enraged...but I hear you...taken with love!

:grouphug: I have to admit a tendency to go slower if the person behind me starts huffing and puffing :p

Blasphemy!!

:iagree: Less coffee is never the solution.

It just seems so bureaucratic to me! If you are a 'member' with the secret decoder ring, you get this price...if you are a one-armed paper hanger, you get this price, etc...can I just pay and go?? I never used to see this just a few years ago...

I stopped using the cards. The local shops have cards at all the check outs and just scan it when their customer doesn't have one.

I do shop online, a lot...it's wonderful.

I'm not talking about 2 minutes, or the elderly (I'm not a complete a$$!) This latest was a solid, verified 15 minutes and one person after another, all adults, all apparently with NOTHING pressing them for time and no competency (forgotten PINS, wrong card, card don't work cause they didn't pay the bill, all that...). In hindsight, I should have abandoned the line and taken it down the road, but I was in an optimistic mood I guess. Won't likely happen again.

Now you sound like me in traffic :lol:

As long as you pay the card off in full each month, there are no fees. (Some cards do have an annual fee, but not all that many)

I pay with cash or a debit card and always use the grocery store club card because it saves me $0.10/ gallon on gas. I've learned to carry a book or notebook everywhere so I can read or write while I wait. If I am with one of my kids, we'll just chat. Life is too short for me to fume about waiting in line.

Short-ish story: I was waiting behind an elderly gentleman at the gas station a few weeks ago (I think his car was older than I am :001_smile: ). It was obvious that he had no idea how to use the pump. He wanted to pay cash, but couldn't figure out that he needed to push the right buttons on the pump to be able to pay cash. Before I could get out of my car, the man on the other side of the pump showed the gentleman how it worked. It took him 10 minutes to pump his gas. I drive a huge Suburban and the station was very busy, so it was too dangerous for me to back out and try to get to another pump, so I just waited. The kids and I talked about styles of cars from the '60s, why don't men wear suits out any more, why don't women wear hats and gloves any more, etc. When he was done, the gentleman walked back to my car and when I rolled down the window to talk to him, he thanked me for my patience and hugged me. It made my day. I had done absolutely nothing (in my mind) but my not being impatient, honking, etc had shown this man respect. My kids still talk about that encounter, and we have since noticed a positive improvement in our kids' patience with and demonstrations of respect toward the elderly.

Store "loyalty" cards are a different matter, that cannot really be blamed on shoppers. I'd much rather someone paid with a card than a big pile of pennies.

I say, relax a little.

My sister used to work where traffic tickets were paid and someone dumped hundreds of loose pennies on her co-worker's desk, intending to pay his ticket. He got a surprise when she informed him that she didn't have to (and wouldn't) accept them! Took the wind right out of his sails! :lol:

Yesterday at the grocery I stopped for a couple of things. My total was 11.01 I gave them 21.01 becaue I wanted a $10 back. She was greatly confused about why I was giving her the $1 bill and the $20. :001_huh:

I know! I do the same thing. I find this amazing and sad.

This isn't really the issue at hand, but I'm confused how people are paying for alcohol or cigarettes with food stamp benefits? Since DH was laid off last year, we have been receiving food stamps and when I swipe that card it will only pay for the food items.....anything else will be a remaining balance when I'm done. As far as using it to buy Doritos....why shouldn't we be allowed to buy some junk? I'm confused. We receive the amount the state feels is fair considering our family size and income.....if we spend that all on junk and/or expensive items and we don't have enough left for healthy food.....isn't that our own problem?

But it's so much easier to use your credit card than to write a check. You don't have to remember to write it in your check register.

That is exactly why I write checks. If the checkbook is out anyway, I have no excuse not to write down the payment. How do you keep track of how much money you've spent against the budgeted amount for that category of purchase if you don't write down every purchase when you make it? I can't keep it all in my head and I'm not willing to go over (or under, usually :D).

That is exactly why I write checks. If the checkbook is out anyway, I have no excuse not to write down the payment. How do you keep track of how much money you've spent against the budgeted amount for that category of purchase if you don't write down every purchase when you make it? I can't keep it all in my head and I'm not willing to go over (or under, usually :D).

I do everything online. My debit card purchase shows up within the hour as pending and is subtracted against the total. I check my bank balance obsessively. I don't budget per category. I prefer to look at my balance and say, "Oh crap! I overspent on coffee. No more groceries until payday!"

I was wondering the same, I need to know how much I spent and (more importantly,lol) how much money I have left to spend. :)

I also write checks sometimes, I didn't realize this was such an outdated practice. :001_huh: I also write out all my bills and send them in the mail. Dh doesn't want anything to do with any type of bill pay especially any type of automatic payment. This is why we don't have NetFLicks.:glare:

We do it all online. I'll write an occassional check for tickets or activity where the mom needs to be paid then. I actually keep about 3 checks in my purse just for that occassion. But everything else is paid on line.

At the end of the month, the credit card bill comes and then it's all there, what we spent, so I don't have to keep track during the month. I think it even brakes it down to restarants, gas, shopping. But I don't look at that part. It's just so much simpler to just pay the credit card bill that one time than numerous checks.

ETA: Sorry, I miss read. I don't have 'budgeted amounts'. If we know we're spending a lot of money that month, (like booking a vacation cruise, buying a new laptop, etc.) we may eat in more or go to less expensive places. Mainly because I feel guilty so I cook more that week. Basicly we just live simply and within our means.

Edited by Renthead Mommy

I actually do believe that the store cards are faster than dealing with every one's coupons of the past. I know many people still use coupons, but since most items are now attached to the store card, it has dropped considerably.

I think it is definitely faster for someone to look for a store card, than to hand the checker 4 or 5 coupons and then wait while the checker hand rings each coupon, checks the expiration date and looks to make sure you bought the correct product.

Did I just offend 95% of the board? Please calibrate me!!

Since you asked :D

It all seems like an excuse to make a crack about people on public assistance buying beer on the public dole.

What's the purpose of the thread, to make scape-goats of the poor for your feelings of "inconvenience"???

I don't really think it's the poor and destitute who are holding up the lines spending all the money they don't have. But....

Bill

To the OP, things are much better than they were 25 years ago. My first job was at a toy store during Christmas season, oh joy:glare:! This was before scanners and credit swiping machines. If we had a credit card we had to get out the carbon form and stamp the CC on it. If the amount was over 25.00 we had to leave our line and go to the giant printout book at the customer service desk and check the CC number against all the latest fraudulent numbers.

If it was a check over a certain amount, same thing. We had to hand stamp the back of the check and fill in the info from the driver's license with pen! You always made you had at least three pens before you started your shift, because at least one would disappear before the end of the day.

Price tags were required on an item. If there wasn't one we had to call for assistance. That was always fun, waiting for one floor person who was already doing ten things before your call.

I can still see the lines of people streaming back into the store during Christmas time. Holiday cheer didn't always abound and I was so pleased to receive the brunt of my customer's frustration on a regular basis.

So, the good old days weren't always the good old days. I only wish I'd had the foresight to stock on those clearance original Star Wars figurines for $1 each. I could probably fund my amazon purchases with the proceeds. :tongue_smilie:

because if I am shopping there, I think I should get the same discount whether I them all my personal information or not. I really dislike the whole concept of "give us our birthday and contact information and even our social security number, and we will give you special deals."

But otherwise, I am not sure that I think credit cards and debit cards take more time than cash.

I do, however, always, and I mean ALWAYS end up in the line behind the woman who thinks that her cat food should be a different price than the register, and she's almost always wrong, because the discount was for, say, the tuna flavor and not the salmon.

Ugh. I hate the grocery store. Lately, I just order them online, pick them up, and take my chances that the "personal shopper" will get bananas that suit me in size and ripeness.

Since you asked :D

It all seems like an excuse to make a crack about people on public assistance buying beer on the public dole.

What's the purpose of the thread, to make scape-goats of the poor for your feelings of "inconvenience"???

I don't really think it's the poor and destitute who are holding up the lines spending all the money they don't have. But....

Bill

You're right, I did ask, so I'll respond...you're 100% wrong, I'm talking about MY experience the other day that put me 'on tilt.' It's not about class envy at all, but it's sounds like that's the lens you choose to view the world...

I was interested whether anyone else sees this trend that I see, of using everything but cash to buy the smallest of convenience items, and making it everyone's problem behind them that they can't transact their purchase with reasonable expedience.

If you read the thread, you will see that some agreed with me, some vehemently dis-agreed. I even learned a few things. This made it interesting (to me, anyway).

I don't need a contrived thread to advocate pushing the poor and destitute out into the snow on Christmas Eve, Bill. I'll just title the thread that way so that it's clear.:)

Thanks,

I can't even REMEMBER the last time I paid with cash. I never even carry it. I only pay with debit card, but it doesn't take any longer than cash, imo.

My dh is paid via direct deposit and being military we actually don't have a local bank branch where we are, so it's all debit cards for me.

But I was blown away the other day in my little locally owned grocery store. The lady in front of me was actually writing out a CHECK. WHAT? Who uses checks anymore? :001_huh:

I still do! I suppose it's a form of rebellion against the ubiquitous cards. There is something comforting about handing over an old-fashioned check. I want to do it as long as they accept it. :lol: But...mind you since I have a lifetime of practice, I am an extremely fast check writer and I don't hold up the line by then entering the place and amount into the register!

I prefer cash because I will spend less than when swiping my debit card. I too have had the issue of the clerk not being able to figure out change. Yesterday at the grocery I stopped for a couple of things. My total was 11.01 I gave them 21.01 becaue I wanted a $10 back. She was greatly confused about why I was giving her the $1 bill and the $20. :001_huh:

Or when the total is $17, and you give them $22 because you want the $5 back. That can really confuse people.

I am that lady everyone gets behind in the store. I once had my Sam's card confiscated, and I have a rewards card that the cashier has to manually type in because there is something wrong with the magnetic strip. And I always have things ring up wrong.

Just paying cash for stuff?

It seems everywhere I go, the customers (always ahead of me in line :cursing:) have some sort of 'card,' I'm NOT talking about a Credit Card or Bank card...I'm talking about some crazy thing, whether it's some kind of 'public assistance,' (for a 12-pak of beer? OH PLEASE!!) or 'club' card for the shop I'm in, or whatever,

that requires 10 minutes to transact, esp. in convenience stores -

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF IT'S A CONVENIENCE STORE IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE CONVENIENT...THAT MEANS I WANT TO BE IN & OUT FAST!!!!!!!!!!! LET ME PAY FOR MY COFFEE AND GET OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! And they want their $0.05 off the regular price of an item that's 300% overpriced anyway? Ugh...

Am I crazy? Did I just offend 95% of the board? Please calibrate me!!

You are not insane. It is insane. I detest having store "discount" cards. But, I also just cannot stomach NOT using them. Especially at the grocery store, the difference in the total bill is just too large. I'm due to get a free gallon of milk on my next convenience store milk purchase. But, you are right. I have a card for pretty much every single store I frequent. I even have cards for grocery stores that are not even in my state...:tongue_smilie:

Honestly, I put everything I possibly can on my credit card. I get 2% back on every purchase and 5% back on some stores (varies depending on the month). I pay my bills on time, every single time. There is no fee associated with the card. It is free unless you are late with a payment. I get a significant amount of money back each month. The card I used before the one I am currently favoring did not allow my to apply my cashback to my account (which is what I currently do). When I decided to collect, they sent me a check for over $2,000. I had paid $0.00 extra because of card usage. That little cashback adds up.:001_smile:

To the OP, things are much better than they were 25 years ago. My first job was at a toy store during Christmas season, oh joy:glare:! This was before scanners and credit swiping machines. If we had a credit card we had to get out the carbon form and stamp the CC on it. If the amount was over 25.00 we had to leave our line and go to the giant printout book at the customer service desk and check the CC number against all the latest fraudulent numbers.

If it was a check over a certain amount, same thing. We had to hand stamp the back of the check and fill in the info from the driver's license with pen! You always made you had at least three pens before you started your shift, because at least one would disappear before the end of the day.

Price tags were required on an item. If there wasn't one we had to call for assistance. That was always fun, waiting for one floor person who was already doing ten things before your call.

I can still see the lines of people streaming back into the store during Christmas time. Holiday cheer didn't always abound and I was so pleased to receive the brunt of my customer's frustration on a regular basis.

So, the good old days weren't always the good old days. I only wish I'd had the foresight to stock on those clearance original Star Wars figurines for $1 each. I could probably fund my amazon purchases with the proceeds. :tongue_smilie:

Oh Wow, you just brought back a ton of memories for me. I worked KMart when I was 16. The credit card machine, the big book, the price checks....

Although by my first Christmas working there I did layaway - that was the worst, $400 and $500 orders, huge carts piled high. Then trying to find everything when they came to pick it up. :ack2: The computer was an old DOS based system and I was one of the few employees with any computer experience (remember this was a long time ago). After Christmas they put me at the service desk to do returns!!

Honestly, I put everything I possibly can on my credit card. I get 2% back on every purchase and 5% back on some stores (varies depending on the month). I pay my bills on time, every single time. There is no fee associated with the card. It is free unless you are late with a payment. I get a significant amount of money back each month. The card I used before the one I am currently favoring did not allow my to apply my cashback to my account (which is what I currently do). When I decided to collect, they sent me a check for over $2,000. I had paid $0.00 extra because of card usage. That little cashback adds up.:001_smile:

We get something like a point for every dollar. Every now and then we trade the points in gift cards. When we were moving we got about $800 in Lowe's cards which was great for picking up things we needed after the move.

I tried to convince the husband to trade it in for Starbucks cards, but he feared what $800 in Starbucks would be like! He already says I shouldn't drink so much caffeine! LOL! But he was a good guy and got me at least one card for SB!

Oh Wow, you just brought back a ton of memories for me. I worked KMart when I was 16. The credit card machine, the big book, the price checks....

Although by my first Christmas working there I did layaway - that was the worst, $400 and $500 orders, huge carts piled high. Then trying to find everything when they came to pick it up. :ack2: The computer was an old DOS based system and I was one of the few employees with any computer experience (remember this was a long time ago). After Christmas they put me at the service desk to do returns!!

:lol::lol: My mom worked at KMart when I was in high school. Oh, the horror stories. She usually added a few other *#*@ words in front of Layaway when she discussed it.

I've found peace with waiting in line. What drives me nuts is the people that send out the dark clouds and lightening bolts because they freak out whenever the people in front of them aren't moving fast enough.

:grouphug:

Meant with love ;)

Yep! I still find it surprising how many people leave the bank in our small town when there is ONE person (me!) in line ahead of them. They still have to come back! You just huffed and puffed, walked out the door, got in your car, left, and now need to come back & do your banking later on because you could not wait 30 seconds? (I counted--my transaction did take about 30 seconds.)

If you lived in a place where a large number of the people DO pay with cash, you'd be ranting about how interminably loooooonnnnngggg it takes to wait behind them. Trust me. I've timed this. Couple in front of me with cash takes 3.5 minutes to complete cash transaction and get back change. No stupid people involved who can't count properly. No coupons involved. Straight cash only. It takes me just under a minute to use my debit card and get my receipt. We were both buying in the $250 ballpark of grocery items.

But I'm not complaining about those cash-only people. They actually don't bother me at all. Timing it though, was because my husband used to have the same rant you do. He was wrong, too. :001_smile:

I remember that! I worked in a gas station from 1989 - 1993 or so. Even then there was that list.

I actually LIKE waiting in line. I'm a people watcher. However, I usually feel badly at making other people wait while the clerk figures out how to subtract.

I'm a people watcher too and I usually don't hate waiting in line.

Have you ever been in a store when something unexpected happens like a power failure? It's kind of fascinating how it sort of jerks people out of their little world. That happened to me this past spring shopping for groceries. It went out and came back on several times (high winds) making us all wonder if we were going to get our groceries anytime soon. It was interesting to watch people all suddenly look up and start chatting with the person next to them.

There was a certain amount of groaning, but overall, everyone was pleasant--and most were even laughing! One guy near the front yelled out "$20 for my place in line!". He was joking of course -- and that really helped lighten the mood even more. :D

I live in a small town and I love it, but I'd like to think people are pretty much the same everywhere.

I don't like the idea of Kroger tracking my purchases, but I want the sale prices. I have five Kroger plus cards with different demographic information on each. Sometimes I am an 85 year old man, sometimes I am a 23 year old mother of four, etc. It is just my own little joke I play in my head. Of course, on the month that if you spend x amount of money you get a free turkey, I am a 68 year old single woman all month.

Anyway, I don't mind standing in line.

Assuming you pay off every month b4 any finance charges kick in, you are ahead...if you miss the deadline for payment (even by 1 day), or pay only part of balance, you are likely in the hole, depending on the amount. And one late-fee can clobber your cashback too.

Oooh. That sounds painful. $$$ Eeeek. Like getting a loan from a bookie. No thanks! ;)