Menu

Are you committed to homeschooling?

No, I'm committed to doing what is best for the educational and emotional needs of my children. That's homeschooling now, and I have high hopes that it will always be homeschooling, but I've learnt to never say never. My kids needs come before my ideologies.

Laura

Yes, I'm 100% committed to home schooling our ds. It is for religious convictions that we chose this path. We began our home schooling in K and he is now going to be in 11th grade very soon. We have sacrificed a lot through the years to get to this point, and I really want to see it through. It has not been easy sometimes. But each year we are one step closer to finishing the race and gaining the prize (meaning the diploma). :-)

What keeps me focused during difficulties is knowing that God led me to homeschool. No question about it. And I've had many struggles over the years from physical illness to financial woes to other issues, too many to mention here. At one point I realized that what I was going through was not uncommon. In fact many, many people on the forums I visited expressed the exact same problems, some of them had been attacked in their minds with depression, in their bodies with pain and fatigue, in their finances by loss of income, in their relationships with family members having discord, many ways people expressed that they struggled and faced difficulties that made them question their decision to home school. One day it was like a light bulb went off and it was then that I knew that all the adversity was simply an attack of Satan trying to keep me from doing God's will for my life (not speaking for anyone but myself here regarding our choices to home school). I knew then that there was a higher purpose in all this than I could ever see. And I chose to face adversity head on by trusting in the Lord to help me overcome. And he continues to do that for me.

So yes, I'm fully committed to home schooling. And yes, though I have had many struggles I would do it again, all over again exactly the same (except there would be changes if I could go back, mostly with scheduling or curriculum choices. lol).

JMHO

We're committed through at least 8th grade. I have always wanted to hs and the year he went to private K (I was working) nearly killed me. I'm absolutely committed through 8th grade, but I don't know after that. Dh and I both feel that high school is an important part of growing up. Not just any high school though and certainly not public high school. IF (and it's a big IF) he goes to high school it will probably be an all boy school or a good private school at the least (dh wants him to go to a military academy, but I'm not cool with that). I went to an all girl high school and absolutely loved it. I had a great education, learned a lot about myself and made friends that I've kept in touch with over the years (almost 20), so I'm all for an all boy school. I'm still on the fence about high school, but since he's only in the 2nd grade I figure I've got plenty of time before we have to cross that bridge.

I don't know that I can say 100% committed. I know I can't. I was that way in the past, before everything that has happened. Last week I was looking at private schools. This week I can't imagine sending them to school.

The reality, regardless of how I feel about institutionalized school in general, is that we can't go on this way forever. I have to get a job to help support our family - a good job, not just part-time retail at $8 an hour. I can be super frugal, but not that frugal!;)

So, I am committed to not raising my family in poverty on gov't assistance more than I am committed to homeschooling. I just hope I can do both.

Even so, some days I am just done! I have 3 dc with learning disabilities and it is very, very hard to keep going sometimes. If all my dc were as easy to teach as my 6yo, homeschooling would be much, much easier for me.:tongue_smilie:

This is an honest question, not meant to provoke a war or anything like that, please.

I am just curious who is committed to homeschooling all their kids, all the way through. No home-based public education, no "we'll see how it goes, but might send them to school", etc. Basically, I'm wondering who is committed to homeschooling come h*** or high water, lol.

This is not some kind of litmus test. There are no correct answers. It is truly just a question.

If you wouldn't mind, it would be interesting to hear why you are committed, and what your plans are for when you get discouraged. If you have homeschooled all your kids and they are all graduated, what did you do when you felt tempted to quit? Anything you feel like sharing may benefit us all.:)

I intend to homeschool all the way through b/c I believe it's the best educational option, the best family dynamic, and the best "real world" experience. There are plenty of things that could change that for us, though.

I have shared legal custody over one child. The decisions are not mine (or mine and dh's) alone. I've already done battle over the '10/'11 year and won. We'll see if I'm that lucky for '11/'12.

I would not continue in the face of serious financial crisis. I would not continue if my physical or mental status caused me to severely compromise my educational standards. And I *might* quit if the internet suddenly ceased to exist. (I'm only 1/2 kidding on that one!)

So I can't say "hell or high water", but I'm still pretty darned committed.

I am committed to hs our two youngest through high school. Our oldest 3 spent most of their school yrs in ps and then private. I can't imagine putting my youngest nor me through that. There was little about it that was possitive.

Another reason is my youngest has chemical sensitivities and he would be a mess in a building filled with cleaning chemicals, perfumes colognes, high voc paints etc.

I can find and use curr. that fits my dc instead of using curr. that was purchased for the masses.

The biggest reason is I believe with all my heart that this is what we are supposed to be doing.

I'm committed to homeschooling for as long as its the best option for my family - assuming no serious financial, mental, emotional or health problems.

We started homeschooling due to ds learning style and quirks so I'm sure he'll be best served hs'ing at least until high school. At that point, with the increased flexibility to select classes, dual enrollment options, etc. we may explore public school but only because our high school is absolutely outstanding. I am completely comfortable teaching him at a high school level though so I have no problem homeschooling high school if that what is a better fit for either of my little ones.

I'm not sure I can say about almost anything in my life, "I have already decided that God can't change my heart about this." I am committed to my marriage that way and committed in a general way to raising up my family. But if DH felt a call to leave our lives and go in the mission field, I would like to think I am open to that. If I felt God really tugging us into a different life, I would be open to that. I try to follow a day at a time, and I honestly can't say that there are no circumstances in which I would reconsider homeschool.

No, I'm not committed to hsing all my kids all the way through. Ds1 has always gone to a private, therapy-based school and there is no way that I could hs him. I'm not sure I could even parent him 24/7 without breaks because he's very challenging. If his school closed or we couldn't afford his tuition, I'd enroll him in ps. We'd try to move to an ISD with a better autism program, but he'd have to go out to school and job training.

I am committed to hsing the other 2 for as long as it's their best option. That's probably until hs for ds2 because he's always wanted to be a mechanic and I can't really teach him autoshop or find him supervised employment on my own. I'm hopeful the ps and the local disabled-adults programs can. OTOH, I'm sure that I can do a better job teaching him the 3Rs, history, science, geography and Spanish to make him a well-rounded person than the local ISD.

Dd may well hs until she's old enough to start taking cc courses, but she'll have a voice in this as she gets older. There are several paths to getting a solid, classical education and I'd be willing to consider any of them. If she'd like to do an IB program or attend a private school that we could afford, I'd certainly consider that. If she'd like to enroll in a virtual school, I'd consider that. The only option I'd strongly object to is enrolling in our local ps's normal honors-track highschool program, because I think it's very inferior to what we could do at home.

I resist saying I'm 100% absolutely committed to anything, but in the normal sense of the word that leaves a bit of wiggle room in case of disaster, et cetera, yes. We're committed to homeschooling the entire way through. Partially because it has just become how we live, but also because, well. I haven't put in all this time in the early years for someone else to get to have the in-depth discussions in high school with my my kids!

We are committed to homeschooling our daugthers through graduation. We are committed to homeschooling our son until high school.

I personally think it is important to have a long-term plan. Something could always change in such a drastic way that we have to change course, but it's hard to plan for that. :D We have found that it has served us well to know where we are going in the future. It keeps us, and our dc, from roller coaster rides. :001_smile:

We'll be homeschooling through high school for all of them. We started because I couldn't imagine sending my little 5 or 6 year old off on a bus and having her gone for 8 hours a day. We continued because we felt God's leading that this was what we were supposed to do. We also believe the ps system is broken and don't want our kids to be at the mercy of that "system".

I have seen a lot of "fruit" in the lives of my kids already, and our oldest will be entering high school this coming year. That and the fact that my DH is very supportive gives me encouragement to keep on going, lol!

I haven't put in all this time in the early years for someone else to get to have the in-depth discussions in high school with my my kids!

:iagree:

It's nice to know there are so many of us who'll be homeschooling high school...there are only one or two around here, IRL.

Edited by galtgrl

I wish I could say I was 100% committed, but I'm not. I don't think I'm the best person to teach my dd in high school. I feel terribly guilty for that, but it's the truth. Unless I grow a LOT, I will put her education ahead of my need/desire to homeschool her. That sounds weird--what I mean is, I know myself, and I am a selfish and lazy person more often than I can seem to admit. I want better for her than the person I am right now.

She is going to ps next year, for financial reasons and also because I have had 6 years of unbelievable stress, and need a break. I am not doing as much as I should with her, and the thought of another year of "muddling through" feels wrong. So, either I find something I can do at night and decide to change aspects of my habits and personality and then homeschool, or I work the job I have basically been promised and put her in school, where I know the good will balance the not-so-good. I'm hoping, at least.

I sort of wish I could spend more time in that first/second grade period--I do well with that, and definitely provided dd what she needed, even in the midst of horrendous family carp. But now? She needs science--I feel like I'm walking thru grey mud when I think about it. She needs more rigorous other curricula--I just don't have the head space/mental energy/discipline/desire to provide it all. And I need the income that working while she's in school would provide. With 2 in college, debt, etc. we just can't swing it.

I haven't put in all this time in the early years for someone else to get to have the in-depth discussions in high school with my my kids!

The problem is, I don't think anyone would be having the in-depth discussions in high school with my kids if I didn't homeschool them. My child in public school is going to be a sophomore at a district school that is a hybrid between public and a private university. It is an outstanding school, as far as schools go, but still ... there's a lot of shallowness to the curriculum.

When my dh expressed interest in sending the younger kids to high school, I told him, "I am not going to bust my @$$ for nine years to make sure these kids get a superior education so that they can go off to a high school and learn nothing."

Tara

I can only echo the other sentiments expressed here; yes, we are thoroughly committed to homeschooling.

Homeschooling is a way of life, it's who we are, it's what we do. We have academic, spiritual and social reasons that we do not believe school is a healthy environment, no matter how "great" the curriculum or the teachers.

I do intend to enroll ds in CC courses when he is ready and old enough. I cannot say there is no life-changing crisis that could turn our entire world on it's head, because we don't know what life will bring, but barring such an unforseen and insurmountable disaster, we are in it for the long haul.

What do I tell other people? I say, "Well see when they get older." "He might decide to go to school for the last 2 years of HS, we'll see." "We never know where we'll be living at that point, so it depends." Of course, this is just to appease the skeptics and get both parties off the hook in an uncomfortable conversation. My version of passing the beandip. My close friends and family know better ;).

Nope :)

We haven't even started yet but we're going to homeschool our youngest just for the middle school years, 5th-8th, for purely academic reasons (she needs more than her school can give her). There are lots of fantastic private and charter high schools in our area for her to choose from :) We live very frugally to afford our older kids' tuition and they do their part by winning and keeping superb merit scholarships for their schools. We expect that dd10 will do the same.

Very much so. I have been at it for 13 years and expect to be at it another 8 or so. Now, I do rely on many outside sources for my high schoolers and am transitioning my oldest to college (taking 3 courses next year.) But, I am committed to being the director of their education unless something big comes up that makes this impossible.

We're committed to doing what we think is best for our children. When we came back to the States we moved to a wonderful area with superior public schools, so we enrolled our boys. They both had excellent first years but DS9 has expressed an interest in coming back home so we are evaluating that right now.

Debbie

I am committed because I feel it offers my children the most superior education they can have where we currently live. That said, I am not going to force them to do it if they, themselves, are adamantly against it. This occurred with my older son. He became insistent upon going back to school as a sophomore, so I let him.

We did require that he attend a smaller, private school rather than one of the mega-public schools in our area. He has auditory processing problems and a huge school with larger classrooms just would not have met his needs at all. Likewise, we pressed for him to choose a smaller college to address those same concerns.

I was, of course, not all that thrilled with the academics achieved. He did ask during his senior year to just come home to finish school as he'd had enough of wasted time, etc. (so I did feel vindicated, LOL - "told you so!") But sometimes children have to learn hard lessons on their own. I can't shield them from everything all their lives.

Now everyone seems to assume that this means that I will automatically send my younger son to high school, as well. This is not the case at all. He has some occasionally troublesome anxiety problems and I tend to think that he will be happier remaining at home. Until and unless he really wants to do something else, (and I don't mean just on a whim, but discusses it over years, as my older son did) I'm ready to roll..... I remain convinced that it's the best education available to my children where we currently live....

I had been 100% committed to homeschooling my girls. But now I'm committed to follow the Lord's will. After 8yrs of homeschooling I am going to have to send my daughters to private school. They will not attend public school here that's for sure. It makes me sad because I love to homeschool my girls and I will truly miss them. My reasons for sending them to school is my health. I've tried to work homeschooling along side my health problems but right now I'm just not getting better. I just don't have the energy at the moment to keep up with teaching 4 children.

Of course if schooling doesn't work I'll bring them back home and deal with it as I can. I wish my dh would take a more active roll in teaching them but he does not have the patience or the want to do it. I just keep praying the Lord will heal me, or give me the wisdom to help me heal myself. So I can get back to what I love and enjoy. Teaching and being with my children.

Of course I'll do things on the side with them so I won't completely abandon homeschooling. I guess I will just afterschool.

Nope--I'm committed to my kids. I can't imagine ever putting them in public school, and I do prefer the WTM approach over any other, but I'm not against virtual academies, outsourcing, or other forms of alternative education if they help me reach my spiritual and academic goals as my kids' teacher. Once the kids get to a certain point, I suspect they won't need me to be directly involved in every aspect of their education. FTR, SWB blogged about using K12 for science in the high school years.

:iagree: For what it is worth, I use a K12 public school at home and it is a huge commitment;) I am still responsible for teaching my ds; the school provides the curriculum. Public school at home gave me the courage to try school at home and now I am even entertaining the idea of traditional homeschooling and forgoing public school at home. I will choose whatever is best for my ds as well.

This is an honest question, not meant to provoke a war or anything like that, please.

I am just curious who is committed to homeschooling all their kids, all the way through. No home-based public education, no "we'll see how it goes, but might send them to school", etc. Basically, I'm wondering who is committed to homeschooling come h*** or high water, lol.

This is not some kind of litmus test. There are no correct answers. It is truly just a question.

If you wouldn't mind, it would be interesting to hear why you are committed, and what your plans are for when you get discouraged. If you have homeschooled all your kids and they are all graduated, what did you do when you felt tempted to quit? Anything you feel like sharing may benefit us all.:)

I have been very commited to homeschooling for the past 15 years...and have followed through. Lately, I am feeling a bit burnt, my age, my chronic health issues and dh's business strains. That said, I still do not think Public School is an option for my younger kids, online PS is not available in NY believe it or not!, the Christian school (there is ONLY ONE) is 35 minutes away with no bussing...so that is out and the catholic school in this area is academically sub-par, which really surprised me.

So, really, at this point there is no choice and my commitment has been made for me.

I am now in teacher refresh mode...looking at curricula, revising my old standards, and hoping to make things a little lighter and less stressful for our family all around. Unfortuanately, it seems that those things are always my job, and I am not doing it very well anymore.

My commitment is to my children, to provide them with the best academic and spiritual training I can while they are still in my home. Homeschooling affords me the opportunity to do that.. So, I guess my answer is YES. I am commited to homeschooling for the long haul...which means 15 years down, 12 more years to go!

~~Faithe

...I feel that the public education system is broken, irreversably broken. I know I can do better.

:iagree: I have voiced these exact words many, many times over the 14 years that I have been homeschooling. I am totally committed to providing my kids the very best education I can. I believe that is my calling from God. I believe that my years as a private school teacher and a public school teacher and a college student-teacher supervisor were preparation for the task.

I know that some people do not believe that it is "real" homeschooling if you outsource anything, but I do! My kids have participated in science labs, music lessons, writing classes, etc. where someone else does the teaching, but *I* am still responsible for co-ordinating these opportunities with our schedule and making sure there kids get there for the sessions (and paying for them!), so I see it as no different from using a history curriculum written by someone else instead of creating one myself.

Yep, after 16 years of only doing homeschooling with my kiddos and one graduated, one going into her senior year and a 9 year old as my youngest, I really can't see us doing anything else.

And, really....what would I do with all that free time during the day? :lol:

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

We're not committed to hs'ing through highschool, but we're not opposed, either.

We love our family life right now . . . we like the balance/joy/learning that it affords us, but the day will come when our kids want to do high school and we're perfectly fine with that.

On the other hand, our kids love paddling and they will have opportunities to escape the cold Canadian winter and paddle in Florida . . . if that were the case, we'd continue homeschooling as long as they were paddling.

Homeschooling makes us all happy. It doesn't define us. We're all so much more than the academic choices we make for our children.

T

My dh and I were committed to homeschool thru highschool until our dd asked if she could go to a traditional hs when we moved to northern VA. DD was homeschooled because it met her needs at the time and those needs changed. We were fortunate because we found an excellent christian hs we could afford. She is now finishing her sophmore year and made highest honors 1st semester and most likely will do the same 2nd semester.

As much as I think hsing is the right educational path for my children ( and many children) they don't always agree. Younger dd was so miserable and vocal about how unhappy she was hsing that we finally sent her to school. I'm not going to change my mind about hsing being better than school though. But if you were to ask my older dd who is stuck home with me waiting for the cable guy instead of going on a field trip she'd probably disagree today.

We are 100% committed. I have graduated one with two more to go. My only regret is that we didn't begin sooner. I will utilize dual enrollment for high school, but other than that we are all about learning independently of the public and private school system.

Well, I'm already sticking to homeschooling despite my world being turned on its head, so I guess I'm pretty committed. That being said, if I truly felt that I wasn't able to give my children what they needed, I would absolutely re-evaluate. Although I started homeschooling because of the trauma Diva was experiencing at ps, its something that I've felt more and more called to do by God. So, I will follow Him, and what I feel led to do.

I pulled my daughter out of public school at the end of third grade because there were just way too many things I couldn't stand about the school system.

We homeschooled for the rest of third grade, all of fourth, and we're looking forward to fifth. I love homeschooling her and wish I had done it sooner- or all along!

My 4 y/o son on the other hand is being homeschooled right from the beginning.

As of NOW I have no intention of sending either of them to school. But could I swear that it will NEVER happen? Not necessarily. I don't know how I will address things yet as they get older- if they want to go to public school in high school, or if I feel like I'm not able to do an adequate job homeschooling a high schooler when the time comes, etc.

So I say that I'm taking it year by year and seeing how it goes. But as of now, there are no plans to send them to school.

Children are unique and we don't care for the one-size-fits-all mentality of education. Neither do we care for the life lessons being taught by peers, i.e. drugs, drinking, smoking, bullying, etc. I can tell stories of what I did because I wanted to be accepted by the crowd. So no, we have no plans to put our children into school. We will be homeschooling through high school and my children will earn their high school diplomas at home.

I've homeschooled for 9 years now. I've encountered times when sending them to school seemed like it would solve a problem; but thankfully I always remember that it's not really solving a problem but rather swapping one set of problems for another.

I would like to say that I am committed. I have so very enjoyed homeschooling, and really want to do this forever, and with any other children who might join our life! However, like someone else said, I am even more committed to doing whatever is best for my ds. If he gets "caught up" and decides he wants to go back to ps, I will at least discuss the idea--while trying to talk him out of it! It's a fluid, adapt-to-life kinda thing for us!

No, I'm committed to doing what is best for the educational and emotional needs of my children. That's homeschooling now, and I have high hopes that it will always be homeschooling, but I've learnt to never say never. My kids needs come before my ideologies.

LOVE this. :iagree:

I'm committed to doing what's best for my kids. Right now that's homeschooling. If that changes, we'll adjust accordingly.

and this.

Nope. I am committed to the emotional health of my family and classical education, in that order.

and this.

I am 100% committed to honoring God and doing what is best for our family. We love homeschooling, and I cannot imagine any other way, but I don't know what the future holds. I hope I can homeschool all the way.

and this. :D

I have the utmost respect for these responses!

Yes, I'm committed all the way. That doesn't mean that things can't and won't change. When the times comes, I may find myself just as committed to distance education or public school or whatever. I'm a give it a 100% kind of gal.

When I get discouraged, I just ask my public school hubby how his day went. Problem solved.

I am 100% committed to providing the best possible education for each of my children. At this point in time (and for the past 14-15 years) that has been achieved through homeschooling. I fully intend to continue, but if life throws something our way that would be incompatible with continuing homeschooling, I will find the best "other" educational avenue for my sons.

Nope. Homeschooling was a result of our expat lifestyle and was supposed to be a temporary solution; prior to that, I never actually seriously considered that option. I was convinced my children would be schooled in the best schools available, informally afterschooled by the virtue of growing up with us, travelling and attending various cultural happenings, and additionally provided for their specific interests and additional needs (educational and others).

However, we all grew to be rather fond of this way of doing things, it provides us with a lot of freedom, kids are thriving and are more eager about it than I am, so for now, this really seems to be the ideal match. Should the circumstances change and should something else become the ideal match, we are willing to adapt.

I am 100% committed to homeschooling. No public schools at home, online charter/virtual, distance learning- nothing.(NO offense to anybody who does use any of that, it just does not work for us and that is the beauty of homeschooling! We can choose the option right for us!) 100% home with me (and chalkdust math after algebra:D) If I get burned out or discouraged we will take a week or two off. If the kids need a break, I give them a break. If something happens with dh job (as has in the recent past, now he has an amazing job) I know God will provide, as He has, for our needs, including homeschooling. We are in it for the long haul. :D

I am 100% committed to homeschooling. No public schools at home, online charter/virtual, distance learning- nothing.(NO offense to anybody who does use any of that, it just does not work for us and that is the beauty of homeschooling! We can choose the option right for us!) 100% home with me (and chalkdust math after algebra:D) If I get burned out or discouraged we will take a week or two off. If the kids need a break, I give them a break. If something happens with dh job (as has in the recent past, now he has an amazing job) I know God will provide, as He has, for our needs, including homeschooling. We are in it for the long haul. :D

That is a strong statement, wy kid wrangler, and it has inspired a new thread . . .:)