Menu

How do you refer to interstate highways?

How do you refer to interstate highways? Examples below  

1. 1. How do you refer to interstate highways? Examples below

• The traffic on Interstate 5 was terrible.
    • The traffic on The 5 was terrible.
    • The traffic on I-5 was terrible.

I need OTHER! Or two votes. I refer specifically to Interstate 5 as "The 5" because I moved to CA for college and all of my CA friends called it that. Other interstates I generally call I-#. I'm not sure exactly where I'm from :D as I've lived in WA, IL, NV, Japan, CA, and ID, but generally I think I generally qualify as a Northwesterner. I voted I-5 because I refer to MOST highways that way.

Just curious, :D

How do you refer to interstate highways, and if you don't mind sharing, what region are you from?

ETA: I'm specifically curious about how it's spoken as opposed to written.

However, in the midwest, it was always " 70", as in "I took 70 to Denver, and it hailed on me twice". I didn't meet I-5 until I came out here.

I need OTHER! Or two votes. I refer specifically to Interstate 5 as "The 5" because I moved to CA for college and all of my CA friends called it that. Other interstates I generally call I-#. I'm not sure exactly where I'm from :D as I've lived in WA, IL, NV, Japan, CA, and ID, but generally I think I generally qualify as a Northwesterner. I voted I-5 because I refer to MOST highways that way.

That's really what prompted this poll. I'd never heard of people saying "The 5" until I'd visited in California. Recently though, I've been hearing it more and more around here.

I voted I-5. I grew up in Seattle. However, we would say I-5 but just 405, occasionally someone would say I-405 or the 405 but generally just 405. For 2 number highways, generally I-xx, for example I-95, but sometimes just 95.

I've lived in a lot of different states since then and people say a lot of different things in different states.

We also lived in Europe...

Edited by ElizabethB

I couldn't vote. We just say the number ("we need to take 81, then 40...). We're in the northeast now, but have lived in the southeast too.

We do the same with non-interstate roads, so people need to know the local area or have a map I suppose. (First you take 81, then get off at 15, follow it to 194, turn south... only 81 was an interstate.)

I grew up in the midwest, we would say traffic on I-70 was terrible. Actually we had a few other names for I-70 through MO & KS, but I can't type them out here. :D State highways are referred to by number only. Such as, I rather take 36 across Missouri than that d*** I-70 anyday.

I couldn't vote. We just say the number ("we need to take 81, then 40...). We're in the northeast now, but have lived in the southeast too.

We do the same with non-interstate roads, so people need to know the local area or have a map I suppose. (First you take 81, then get off at 15, follow it to 194, turn south... only 81 was an interstate.)

:iagree:

We take 80 to 715 to 115, etc. 80 is the only interstate on the list.

I think the number of digits matter in how it sounds, though. Saying I 5 sounds rather awkward, but I 75 or I 696 has a ring to it.

Yes, and a feeling of terror associated with it (speaking of the latter). :D

I tend to drop the I part altogether and just say "69" or "75" or [shudder] "696".

ETA: I'm also from Michigan.

Edited by darlasowders

I needed other, also, but I voted I 5.

Sometimes we say I44 and sometimes we say 44. Just now thinking about it, I think we say I44 when we're actually talking about it or using it as an adj. We have a weird weather pattern here that strangely and predictably follows I44. It's the I44 Corridor . . . always with the I. If there is an accident or if it's under construction, I think we always say I44.

However, in giving directions, I think it's 44. To get to my friend it's Lewis to 44, 44 to the 51st st. exit. It's not usually Lewis to I44. Though I don't think it would be wrong.

I've never ever heard "the 44."

I needed other, also, but I voted I 5.

Sometimes we say I44 and sometimes we say 44. Just now thinking about it, I think we say I44 when we're actually talking about it or using it as an adj. We have a weird weather pattern here that strangely and predictably follows I44. It's the I44 Corridor . . . always with the I. If there is an accident or if it's under construction, I think we always say I44.

However, in giving directions, I think it's 44. To get to my friend it's Lewis to 44, 44 to the 51st st. exit. It's not usually Lewis to I44. Though I don't think it would be wrong.

I've never ever heard "the 44."

:iagree:

And to complicate it further, we have Is and we have a US. I never say US before it, though I do say I before the other.

I needed an other category as well. I live in TN and locally I say traffic on 65, 24 or 40 was whatever but if I am traveling to a different state then I might say I 75 was whatever especially if I am not familiar with that road. Of course there as some roads that are inter-state but are not interstates such as 41, & 66 so I just refer to those by number. By the way, I have lived off of 41 on both ends - WI & FL.

ETA: Oh then there are infamous roads like the LBJ that are referred to by name only.

I voted for the 3rd option since I do use the I sometimes, but I usually just say the number by itself. For ex. We take 95 up to Fredericksburg when we go home, then get on 17 to 50, cut up to Cumberland and take 68 the rest of the way.

I grew up in MD and now live in NC.

I put "I 5" because I grew up in Oregon and Washington and that's what we said. But now I'm in northern Virginia and I say, 95, 395, or 495 because that's what everyone here does. Maybe because 395 and 495 are long enough already, adding the "I" makes it a mouthful.

Mary

...an interstate highway, but it is so hellacious that it doesn't even need the I- designation--everybody knows what you're talking aboutn when you simply mention the number. In the Atlanta area, it's also known as the Loop or the Perimeter.

That's really what prompted this poll. I'd never heard of people saying "The 5" until I'd visited in California. Recently though, I've been hearing it more and more around here.

That's because we have so many transplants now. I wish I could remember the number I recently read -- "lots of 'em" doesn't sound very precise, does it?

Los Angeles folks say "The 5," but other Californians say "I-5.":)

Here in Central Texas, there's only one interstate, I-35, so people will tend to say simply "35," although some people say "IH-35." What the....??? That's just wrong.:glare:

Los Angeles folks say "The 5," but other Californians say "I-5.":)

Here in Central Texas, there's only one interstate, I-35, so people will tend to say simply "35," although some people say "IH-35." What the....??? That's just wrong.:glare:

So, is the "The" unique to I-5?

And I was hearing it from my husband's relatives in both San Fran and San Diego.

So, is the "The" unique to I-5?

And I was hearing it from my husband's relatives in both San Fran and San Diego.

No. I grew up in LA and I put "the" in front of any freeway number. Take the 60 to the 605... I thought it was a California thing, but since moving to NorCal I've learned that it's just a SoCal thing.

It's a hold-over from when my oldest was a preschooler, cheetahs were his favorite animals, and he wanted to know exactly how fast they could run...

Probably not what you meant.

;)

Just curious, :D

How do you refer to interstate highways, and if you don't mind sharing, what region are you from?

ETA: I'm specifically curious about how it's spoken as opposed to written.

I refer to the interstate in a number of ways, but not with "The" as the first word.

"I took the interstate to Bangor," would be appropriate for where we live now because it is the only interstate in the state. For the trip home I could have possibly said, "I took 95 home from Bangor."

"We took I-26 to I-77 for part of our trip to PA."

Now, my brother who has spent the last 10 years in San Diego puts "The" in front of his interstate numbers. I was confused when he gave me directions because I did not know if "the" referred to interstate, US route or county road.

I voted I-5. I grew up in Seattle. However, we would say I-5 but just 405, occasionally someone would say I-405 or the 405 but generally just 405. For 2 number highways, generally I-xx, for example I-95, but sometimes just 95...

That's what I was thinking. I say I-5, but I would probably only say the number if it was a 3-digit one.

I live in California and I couldn't even tell you what people call it. I don't think I pay that much attention.

I say I-5, but I've lived in every corner of the country. (Born in AL, and lived in NJ, KY, FL, WA, OR, CA...)