Menu

What songs do you sing your children to sleep?

... beyond Rockabye Baby and Twinkle Twinkle.

My children are 3,6 and 8 and I still very often sing them to sleep. I sing some of the songs from The Sound of Music, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean, Winnie the Pooh, and several little ditties that I made up. I want to add to my repertoire. It doesn't have to be specifically children's songs, just something calm and enjoyable to sing that doesn't need instrumental accompaniment to sound complete. I don't sing well but after singing a song a few hundred times I don't sound bad. :)

I sing my children to the tune of the Frère Jacques, just the first measures, except insert names of people they know...friends, neighbors, grandparents, siblings, etc. I say "Daddy's sleeping, Nanna's sleeping, ______ is sleeping..." etc. etc until they fall asleep. My mother did the same for me, and I was always comforted by it.

ETA: my mil always sings the national anthem for them. I think it's kinda nice.

Edited by MommyRyan

You probably wouldn't want to use this buy my oldest has an odd song he sometimes asks me to sing if he can't sleep. "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" from the Wizard of Oz. Why you may ask? When he was an infant my mom was babysitting him and he was fussy, she couldn't think of any other songs and it calmed him down. I guess it all stuck. He's never seen the movie (we tried when he was 7 and he said it was creepy) but he still likes that song for some reason.

We have quite a bit of variety over here. :)

I sometimes sing her the theme from Firefly, along with "The Ballad of Jayne Cobb." She likes when I sing some Brandi Carlile, too, and I have a couple other songs that I don't remember the names of.

As far as actual lullabies go, I usually rotate through the following:

All the Pretty Horses

Hush Little Baby

How Lovely is the Evening

Sleep Baby Sleep

Tell Me Why

Dona Nobis Pacem

There are others, too, but these are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. A lot of them I learned from Susie Tallman cds.

Each of my babies had their own special song. I sing them all to my special needs kid--music really calms her. Comes in handy when she is getting a medical procedure done like a blood draw. Their songs:

oldest: They Were You from The Fantasticks

middle: Moon River from Breakfast at Tiffany's

youngest: "A" You're Adorable--don't know where it's from--oldest's first teacher would play it during their music time.

Others in my repertoire:

16 going on 17

Edelweiss

The Sound of Music

Soon It's Gonna Rain (also from The Fantasticks)

Rainbow Connection (from The Muppet Movie)

High Hopes ("Just what makes that little ol' ant...")

Lots of Hymns:

Amazing Grace

Come Thou Fount

Blest Be the Tie

My Jesus I Love Thee

Others:

You are My Sunshine

God Bless America

This Land is Your Land

Blowing in the Wind

Puff the Magic Dragon

I'll Walk in the Rain By Your Side - John Denver

Leaving on a Jet Plane

Tammy's in Love

Sunshine on My Shoulders

Country Roads

Tonight - West Side Story - (I modify the words ;))

They all have their faves. Ms 1 still loves Twinkle Twinkle. Ms 4's most requested one is Waltzing Mathilda. Mr 6 varies but at the moment he likes Bound for Botany Bay, The Ash Grove, Gypsy Rover and Ten Green Bottles (sometimes with alternative lyrics). They also like Let's Sing a Special Song (that's one where you incorporate the child's name, age and favorite activities into the song). Other ones they have liked were Waly Waly, Speed Bonnie Boat, Abide with Me, and version of the Om chant that I learned years ago in yoga.

In addition to several already mentioned, I sang Mr. Sandman from the 50s or 60s~~the kids particularly loved the part with the 'buh-buh-buh-buh-buh....' part and when they saw Back to the Future for the first time and heard the song, my son said excitedly "mom, they're singing your song!" :lol:

I also sang a French song called Alouette (sp?). I believe it's about plucking feathers off a bird, but it sounds so soothing! Oh, another one I sang was Frere Jacques in both French and English. My mother sang both of those to me when I was little, so singing them to my kids had extra meaning.

Waltzing Matilda and

and

Isa Lei.

I think something happened to me the year I lived in Australia as a child and learned these songs. :)(Maybe it was HUGE Huntsman spider that crawled across my bed in the dark.)

My little school choir went to the National contest singing Po Kari Kari Ana, and we won. It is truly a beautiful love song.

We have quite a bit of variety over here. :)

I sometimes sing her the theme from Firefly, along with "The Ballad of Jayne Cobb."

:lol:

My children always demanded I write songs on the fly. Our "night night' song goes:

First we snuggle on the bed

Then you lay down your sweet head

You'll have sweet dreams all night long

And you'll hear me sing this song

Night night, Violet

Night night, Finn

You will sleep the whole night through

And I will wake up with you

With the sunlight streaming in

A brand new day will begin

Night night, Violet

Night night, Finn

Your adventures are all done

We say goodnight to the sun

We'll do new things come the dawn

When the moon and stars are gone

Night night, Violet

Night night, Finn

Guest Katia

I highly recommend the CD A Child's Gift of Lullabyes. Here is the link from amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Childs-Lullabyes-Blister-Various-Artists/dp/B000066I4I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1269920943&sr=8-3

Someone gave this to me in cassette form 26 years ago when my son was born, and he loved it! I learned all the songs from hearing it played so often, but when my next was born (5 years later), the cassette broke. So, my youngest dc have only ever heard me singing all the songs....until I looked it up just now, I didn't even know this album was still available! You can bet I'll be purchasing it to keep for grandchildren; or just to keep them fresh in *my mind so that I can sing them to my grandchildren, LOL.

Anyhow, these songs are the greatest to sing children to sleep.

Every night we sing:

Mr. Sun

Kuckaburro Sits in the Old Gum Tree

The Ants Go Marching

I'm a Little Tea Pot

Sometimes we also sing Christmas songs too. DS loves Jingle Bells, Santa Clause is Coming to Town, O Christmas Tree and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer!

Edited by BeeBop

My now 7yo's favorite is Jane Says by Jane's Addiction. (Really! Sing it slow. It makes a sweet lullabye even if it is of questionable content.) He used to say, "Sing Jame Says, Momma."

Other favorites- Sweet Child of Mine by Guns n Roses.

Ripple by The Grateful Dead.

Puff the Magic Dragon by Peter, Paul and Mary.

Amazing Grace

Sugar Magnolia by the Grateful Dead

Hmm. It's been awhile since I've gotten to enjoy singing them to sleep. I still hum Jane Says all the time though.

Mostly old Joan Baez and Peter, Paul & Mary songs (Barbry Allen, Gone the Rainbow, Wild Mountain Thyme/Will Ye Go Laddie, Kilgarra Mountain, Joe Hill, 500 Miles), and Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.

When DS was a hypercolicky velcro baby, I used to sing about 187 verses of Gone the Rainbow (shule, shule, shule-a-roo....) every. single. night. while nursing him to sleep.

Jackie

You Are My Sunshine

and Tell Me Why

Tell Me Why goes like this:

Tell me why the ivy twines.

Tell me why the stars do shine.

Tell me why the sky's so blue,

and I will tell you just why I love you.

Because God made the ivy twine.

Because God made the stars to shine.

Because God made the sky so blue,

and God made "child's name," that's why I love you.

Gosh! I'm so envious of you ladies. I love to sing but ummm don't have the best voice. When I was preggers with my first (dd) I envisioned what it would be like when my baby was born. How I would hold her swaddled in my arms and rock her in the rocking chair singing softly to her and she would look up into my face smiling and cooing at the sound of my voice... (insert record scratching sound here) reality.... both of my kids hate my voice and cried when I would sing to them. lol So, no bedtime songs in my house unfortunately. :( sniff.

Well, these days if I try to sing to them they beg me to stop but when they were babies I sang Hush Little Baby, You are My Sunshine, Baby Mine, Goodnight My Angel (I think this is the title it's the lullabye by Billy Joel), and whatever my tired mommy brain could remember the lyrics to, but never ever ever Rockabye Baby. I've always thought that song was creepy. Who puts their baby in a cradle in a tree?:confused:

ETA: To my younger DD who's name is Sarah I sang Journey's "Sara" alot and to my son I sang "My Little Man".

Edited by akmommy

I sang every song I knew, including Kumbaya, You Are My Sunshine, Amazing Grace, The Marine Corps Hymn, My Country "Tis of Thee, Loch Lomond, When the Ants Go Marching In, Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Sar, Puff the Magic Dragon, I'm a Little Tea Pot, Summertime, Rockabye Baby, Christmas songs, and Happy Talk.

I had a large repertoire of first lyrics to songs. If I sing them now, I immediately get very sleepy. Hmm, I wonder if DH would mind if I sing a rousing rendition of You Are My Sunshine when I can't get to sleep.

My husband sang patriotic songs (with all the lyrics) to the boys for at least 1/2 an hour every single night, after DD was born (while I was rocking her and singing to her). When he was 2, DS1 used to belt out Battle Hymn of the Republic every time he put on his shoes.

This weeks my DD keeps discussing inherited traits in terms straight out of her biology textbook -- it seems that at least 1 out of 4 of the kids should have inherited my terrible singing voice. Lo and behold, DS2 is IT.

(I didn't tell her that she is IT, too.)

Edited by RoughCollie

I like this thread! Wish I knew more of the songs you all are choosing--I think I'll look them up!

I used to sing many of those mentioned, plus

Sugar Mountain by Neil Young

Now and Then by Kenny Loggins

Golden Slumbers by the Beatles

He has shown thee, oh Man, what is good and what the Lord desireth of thee (don't know the real title! lol)

I will change your name

and a couple from Godspell

Now and Then

Guest Virginia Dawn

My little still requests: Hush Little Baby, I've Been Working on the Railroad, Down By the Station, The Erie Canal, She'll be Coming 'Round the Mountain, and Jesus Loves the Little Children.

so they hear "Hail Mary" and "Glory Be" - those are my oldest favorites. My youngest will sometimes request "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star"

My son likes a version of "Jesus Love Me" that I made up, it goes like this...

Jesus love (insert my ds's name) this I know,

because he came and told me so.

Though (ds's name) is strong and (ds's name) is brave,

he still needs Jesus everyday.

Yes, Jesus loves (ds's name)

And so does his family.

Edited by CatMomof3
spelling error

Usually a song from this album in Portuguese. Probably that's no help—but the words are really sweet:

One, two, three

Three little kisses,

Mama's going to sing you to sleep.

Slowly, so slowly,

Sleep will close your eyes.

My heart it tightens

And jumps inside me

Every time I see you smile.

But now is the time to go to sleep.

One, two, three

Goodnight.

so they hear "Hail Mary" and "Glory Be" - those are my oldest favorites. My youngest will sometimes request "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star"

My son likes a version of "Jesus Love Me" that I made up, it goes like this...

Jesus love (insert my ds's name) this I know,

because he came and told me so.

Though (ds's name) is strong and (ds's name) is brave,

he still needs Jesus everyday.

And so does his family.

I did something similar. I would sing the original Jesus Loves Me and THEN sing the Mommy version I made up.

Mommy loves you this you know.

For she always tells you so.

Little do you really know.

She will love you as you grow.

Yes, Mommy loves you.....etc.

She always tells you so.

We also sang You are my Sunshine, and then I would make up other verses like, You are my Teddy Bear, My cuddly teddy bear....etc. or You are my Apple, my crunchy Apple...etc. It goes on and on. I made up a different verse every night!

I also sang my DD9 her name spelled out to the tune of Happy Birthday. It fit perfectly!

C.L.A.I.R.

E.A.N.N.A.

H.A.R.M.O.N.

ClaireAnna Harmon!

She could spell her name by the time she was 15 months old!

My DH hummed the same song all 4 kids from day 1 to age 10 or so. Amazing Grace. You can't imagine our "sweet" the sound of Daddy's strong voice humming that tune puts a baby to sleep!

My mother sang this to me and I sing it to them:

Sweetest little baby anybody knows

Don't know what to call her, but she's mighty like a rose

Looking at her mommy with eyes so shiny blue

Makes you think the angels are coming close to you.

When she's there sleeping in her little place

Makes you think the angels are looking through the lace.

When the night is falling and the shadows creep

Then they come on tiptoes to kiss her in her sleep

(repeat first verse)

I also sing "Close to you" by the Carpenters and Return to Pooh COrner by Kenny Loggins.

When my daughter was little we sang this in the car to calm her down:

Froggy when a courtin' and he did ride, uhhuh, uhhuh

Froggy when a courtin' and he did ride, uhhuh, uhhuh

Froggy when a courtin' and he did ride, a sword and pistol by his side, uhhuh, uhuh

Said "Miss Mousie, will you marry me, uhhuh, uhhuh

Said "Miss Mousie, will you marry me, uhhuh, uhhuh

Said "Miss Mousie, will you marry me, way down yonder by the wide oak tree,uhhuh, uhhuh

She said, "Froggy I'll marry you," uhhuh, uhhuh

She said, "Froggy I'll marry you," uhhuh, uhhuh

She said, "Froggy I'll marry you, and I promise to be true" uhhuh, uhhuh

What will the wedding supper be, uhhuh, uhhuh

What will the wedding supper be, uhhuh, uhhuh

What will the wedding supper be ... two corn fritters and a black-eyed pea, uhhuh, uhhuh

Such a cute song.