Menu

Can't get this baby's name off my mind...

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mom went to school with a guy named Rusty Pipe.

When I was little, I remember meeting some distant relatives at a family reunion. They were older guys, even then, but you could still tell they were identical twins. My grandmother introduced them: Okla and Homa. They were born in 1907.

I think Increase is the Mather father, or maybe they are brothers. I'll need to check that. Hello, this is my brother Daryl, and my other brother Daryl.

:lol:

And apparently there are lots of Marcia Mellos in the world. Who knew?

Edited: Increase is Papa.

Exactly. :iagree: I named a kid after a Star wars character. I won't say who or what. It's not obvious in- your -face, however.

And is it any worse than Increase or Cotton?[/QUOTE]

Only if it MATHERS to you! :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by LibraryLover

Guest janainaz
It's tough, isn't it? My brother and his wife named my nephew after my brother. He's a junior. However, rather than call him one of the names they call him Deuce. Do you know what the kids in school are going to call him and torture him with?? Isn't life in school hard enough? I dread it for him so badly.

I can't get it. I keep thinking and it's not coming to me. I hope the kids are slow like me! :D

My sister's stepdaughter teaches Kindergarten in Alabama and there were twins named:

Lemonjello and Orangejello

I promise this is true, but they were pronounced a little differently than just reading it like on the box.

My husband had twin patients with the same names in NC! Can't be the same ones though, his twins would be pushing 15 by now.

But that's pretty funny, especially since they are twins!

My mother's husband is named Jonathan Doe. He goes by Jon Doe. Looks okay on paper (because it's not John) but when he gets introduced it's a little wierd sometimes. We tell him to always carry real ID on him! Claiming the body some day will be interesting I'm sure!

Sometimes when they are messing around they introduce my mom as Jane (that's not her name). Jon and Jane Doe. They think they are funny.

Guest janainaz
The name Deuce is bad because I've heard guys who are headed to the toilet say, "I'm gonna drop a deuce."

Oh! I asked my husband and that is what he said right away! Man-humor I guess. That's a new one. Our friend has three little girls and they were supposed to be coming over and he told me, "I'm just going to drop the kids off at the pool and then be on my way." I said, "What? I thought you all were coming." He couldn't stop laughing. It was a little TMI for me anyway!

Hehe! I have a friend who named both of her kids with names she thought they could use once they became professional boxers. (LOL) The boy's middle name was Blade and the girl's middle name was Boss.

Russell Sprout. Oi.

When my older son with in Kindergarten, he went to school with twins whose names were "Jonquel" and "Johnjohn." Apparently, those parents were partial to the name "John."

And my dh is good friend with a man named Stacy. Stacy's wife is also named Stacy. AND...they both have middle names that start with C. So, in the phone book they are listed as Lastname, Stacy C. and Stacy C.

Edited by Tree House Academy

My husband had twin patients with the same names in NC! Can't be the same ones though, his twins would be pushing 15 by now.

But that's pretty funny, especially since they are twins!

I believe it was many years ago, and they were in Tuscaloosa. She has been teaching K there for 20+ years at least. Perhaps it was the same ones.

This is an urban legend that's been going around since at least the 70's. Absolutely no basis in fact... just another way to make AL look like some ignorant, back woods, redneck state.

Nah, not just Alabama; I have a friend who's a NICU nurse and she claims there was a set of twins born in her hospital with the same names, and they're in California.

Wow! Lots of stories about names here -- I had no idea what I'd be starting when I posted! I still think Russell Sprout is a strange name for a kid, even if he does grow up on a vegetable farm!

As I've read through this thread I'm reminded of three other strange names I've run across in my life, not all of which were the fault of the parents:

• There was a set of twins that were baptized with me when I was a kid who's names were Pixie and Dixie. Shhheeeeee! (Anyone else remember the old Huckleberry Hound cartoons?)

• I went to school with a kid named Merlin Dickey. His mother's name was Virgie and his sister's name was Vickey. :tongue_smilie:

• One of my childhood friends' last name was Quick. When she was older she married a guy with the last name of Rice. I'll never forget reading the engagement announcement that had "Quick-Rice" under their picture.

Thanks for all the laughs, friends! In a lot of cases you really do need to laugh, otherwise you'd have to cry.

Blessings,

Lucinda

My grandpa swore he knew twins named Ima and Ura Pigg. We do live in a kind of white trash area, so I don't doubt it.

My BIL actually dated an identical twin in high school. Her name was Tanya (Tan - yuh) and her twin sister's was Tonya (Tawn - yuh). That was always a mess.

We also had a boy named Emil (Ay-mul) who always got called Emily, even by teachers. And one of my friends had the initials KKK. Her mother swears she never thought anyone would notice that.

Edited by Asenik

My son has 2 middle names. He just doesn't know it yet.

He thinks his name is Eric Stephen Last Name.

On his birth certificate it says Eric Stephen Danger Last Name.

When he's old enough to appreciate it, we'll tell him that Danger is his middle name. So when he wants to do something dangerous, he can say (in complete honesty,) "Well, Danger IS my middle name."

I grew up with a friend named Hope. Her sisters (I kid you not) were Faith and Charity.

My ex's best friend growing up was a guy named... Auto Mo Bile. His dad called him Chevy (the friend preferred Mo).

A friend's sister is a NICU nurse and she told my friend that they had twins born there (this was about a year or two ago... maybe more) named Deneice (prononced like Denise) and Denephew. I had heard about those "names" as a joke some years back but it wouldn't suprise me.

I, too, have heard of the "jello" names... Lemonjello, Orangejello... I remember seeing those kids on Oprah (many, many years ago).

I've known more than one person named Christmas and one named Christmas Snow (Snow being the middle name, not the last). I always wondered if that was after Krissy on Three's Company or because she was born on Christmas Eve.

I know of a few Miracles, and one Surprise.

Maybe it's just our way of looking at things... We're Jewish and growing up I knew kids named Shalom (the standard greeting), Tova (good), Bracha or Baruch (blessing or blessed), Ben Zion (son of Israel), Israel, and many more that I can't think of right now.

Sue

My grandpa swore he knew twins named Ima and Ura Pigg. We do live in a kind of white trash area, so I don't doubt it.

Was this in MO? My Mom used to talk about Ima & Ura... of course I was thinking Hogg was their last name. Either way. Ugh.

I personally knew Mr. Lon Moore and Tom Mater.

This is absolutely true -- I'm not joking. A young couple we know that are farmers just had their first baby. People all during the pregnancy referred to the baby as "sprout" and we thought it was cute. Little did we know, but they actually gave their newborn son the name Sprout as a middle name. And to top it off, his first name is Russell!!

I am just shocked that this very educated and intelligent couple would give their dear baby a name like this. I respect their choice certainly and wouldn't dream of criticizing them, but I keep thinking about it and still can't believe it. I grew up with a last name that was easy to joke about and it was painful. I'm afraid this guy is really going to be teased if anyone ever finds out his middle name. I feel soooo sorry for him!

What do you think?

Blessings,

Lucinda

At least Russell is an actual boy's name. I think Russell Sprout sounds silly, but then I think the same thing about people using boy names for girls and making up what they *think* are *unique* names for their kids. That sounds just as silly AFAIC.

But... they're not MY kids, so why the heck should I really care?

I used to go to church with a woman whose first name was Carol. She married a man whose last name was Carroll. I think that would have been a time to keep the maiden name. She would introduce herself as Carol Carroll. People would look at her like she was crazy.

Hahaha.... I went to church with a lady named Shirley....who married a man who's last name was Shirley. :)

Shirley Shirley.

She hasn't been around now in years I don't think. Not sure what happened to her...

Was this in MO? My Mom used to talk about Ima & Ura... of course I was thinking Hogg was their last name. Either way. Ugh.

I personally knew Mr. Lon Moore and Tom Mater.

Texas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ima_Hogg I remember learning about Ima in social studies... about 5th grade?

The part about having a sister named Ura is a tale tho.

In our church, there's a woman who's maiden last name is Christmas. Her parents named her Mary. Seriously. My dad is a deacon and when she first introduced herself to him, she held out her hand to shake his and said "Mary Christmas". He said he stood there for a moment, having never met her and thinking she was joking... and responded with a cheerful "Happy New Year!".

This reminds me of the time I met a lady and she introduced herself and then said and my husband is Rich. I thought well isn't that nice for you before I realized that she meant that was his name. :tongue_smilie:

Hahaha.... I went to church with a lady named Shirley....who married a man who's last name was Shirley. :)

Shirley Shirley.

She hasn't been around now in years I don't think. Not sure what happened to her...

I have an aunt Shirley. On her birth certificate, filled out by a midwife who was not exceptionally literate, it is spelled Surely. They call her Sam.

Long ago I went to church with a woman name Eula Mae. She had married a man named May, so her name was Eula Mae May. I remember when my mom met her and ask for her name she said Eula Mae. And mom asked her what her last name was and she said May. She said it was easier just to tell people her name is Eula Mae than to tell them it's Eula Mae May.

Stephen King has a son named Joseph. He goes by Joe so his name is Joe King. I think it's funny. Anyhow, he write under the name Joe Hill but I think Hill is his middle name and he said that he did that because he wanted to be judged on his own merit not as the son of Stephen King.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Hill_(writer)

Edited by KidsHappen
Addition of link.

This reminds me of the time I met a lady and she introduced herself and then said and my husband is Rich. I thought well isn't that nice for you before I realized that she meant that was his name.

That cracked me up!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Long ago I went to church with a woman name Eula Mae. She had married a man named May, so her name was Eula Mae May. I remember when my mom met her and ask for her name she said Eula Mae. And mom asked her what her last name was and she said May. She said it was easier just to tell people her name is Eula Mae than to tell them it's Eula Mae May.

This was true for my late grandmother. She was Elsie Mae May. :)

At the small, obscure risk of offending someone here, the most awful name I ever heard was someone who named their little girl Dandrega. Is that just the worst connotation? It sounds like the villain in a sci-fi.

And I do think it is better to circulate your possible naming choices, because someone may point out a word relationship you never noticed. I saw this happen once with someone who liked Kye Anne. Never realized perhaps it sounded like a pepper.

I do think there is a trend towards picking a regular English word for a name. It's not a trend I like, but I've noticed it anyway. It's why there are celebrity babies named Apple, Blanket, Sailor and whatever else.

My dh worked for a Charlie Brown. Wonder if he was teased about it in school?

We know a Terry and Daryl, where Terry is the guy and Daryl the lady. It took me years to get it right.

Yes, you can name children as long a name as you want to. We know a family who couldn't decide among about seven names and they named him all seven!

I once met a Loren during a plane ride and I couldn't figure out if it was a he or she. Never did know, kind of pudgy with short hair, could have been either, I leaned toward she but my traveling partner though he.. That convinced me to not use names that can be used for either gender.

My son has 2 middle names. He just doesn't know it yet.

He thinks his name is Eric Stephen Last Name.

On his birth certificate it says Eric Stephen Danger Last Name.

When he's old enough to appreciate it, we'll tell him that Danger is his middle name. So when he wants to do something dangerous, he can say (in complete honesty,) "Well, Danger IS my middle name."

Okay, this = awesome. I was reading this thread aloud to my dh and when I got to this one he said, "Why didn't WE think of that?!" What cool parents you guys are!

My ds said that he would love to be named Luke Sky Walker.

Here's my list of strangely named people I have known:

We had a neighbor whose name was Sandy. She married a guy whose last name was Broom. Sandy Broom. My dad nicknamed her "Gritty Sweep"

I went to high school with a guy whose name was Rich Kidd.

I also know a girl with the name Memory. It bugged me at first, but after a while I kinda liked it.

I went to school with a girl named Crystal Glass. She had been my friend for a couple of years and my not so bright self never even made the connection until I overheard a couple of teachers talking about her name. Another girl I went to school with was named Tequila! Again I was little so I had know idea what tequila was and didn't know it was a big deal until our bus driver started going on and on about why on earth would parents name their child that and I had to ask my parents what the big deal was.

My Aunt was a L&D nurse and one of her patients named her child Chlamydia........because it sounded pretty. :confused: She did not care when she was told what it meant.

Is your aunt in TN? My sister told me the same thing about a baby being named Chlamydia when she was a nurse. Said the patient asked how to spell it to put on the birth cert, since she thought is sounded pretty.

I went to school with a girl named Crystal Glass. She had been my friend for a couple of years and my not so bright self never even made the connection until I overheard a couple of teachers talking about her name. Another girl I went to school with was named Tequila! Again I was little so I had know idea what tequila was and didn't know it was a big deal until our bus driver started going on and on about why on earth would parents name their child that and I had to ask my parents what the big deal was.

Is your aunt in TN? My sister told me the same thing about a baby being named Chlamydia when she was a nurse. Said the patient asked how to spell it to put on the birth cert, since she thought is sounded pretty.

No she worked at a Philadelphia hospital and I would say this is a good 30 years ago.

Ok, I have to add mine. This is a real gal, and she was only a few years younger than I, so here's hoping she is not a homeschooler on this forum:

When I was a teen, there was a family in my church with the last name of:

Bear

They named their daughter:

Panda

Yep. Panda Bear.

My Aunt was a L&D nurse and one of her patients named her child Chlamydia........because it sounded pretty. :confused: She did not care when she was told what it meant.

My friend heard a mom hollering that name for her dd in a store about a year ago.

When I first moved to this city, I thought an ad in the paper was a huge practical joke: The Harry Hole Award for Policing.

Turned out, nope, its real. Harry Hole. My word.

I do think there is a trend towards picking a regular English word for a name. It's not a trend I like, but I've noticed it anyway. It's why there are celebrity babies named Apple, Blanket, Sailor and whatever else.

My 2 year old DD's name is Sailor. :D I'm not a celebrity, but I sure do wish I had their paycheck LOL.

I went to grade school with a boy named Justin Case. No lie.

Ok, I joked about naming my youngest Justin Casey. Everyone wanted a girl but we didn't know the gender before the birth so we needed both boy and girl names. I joked "Justin Casey's a boy". I also joked about Justin Thyme.