Menu

Can't get this baby's name off my mind...

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol Let us not forget the days of Rainbow Sky, or Prudence Grace, or Loyal Baker, or Chastity Faith, or even Moon Unit ;) .

There is nothing new under the sun, and names are very personal to the namers.

Were I to have been blessed with another child, a girl would be Merciful Grace 'Mercy' and a boy would have been Justus Jasper....yup...I had friends named Sky, Star, Forest, Tree, Meadow and my hippie name was Shining Star.

When I first moved to this city, I thought an ad in the paper was a huge practical joke: The Harry Hole Award for Policing.

Turned out, nope, its real. Harry Hole. My word.

:lol:

While working for a gov't office, we had paperwork for a boy whose first/middle names were Asterisk Diamondrim.

A friend's son's name was Yly -- pronounced Eli.

I am quirky over unfortunate initials. Since my last name begins with an "M," I refused to name my kids any "B" names. I couldn't give a kid the initials "B.M." Now I'm sure there are plenty here who have, but it was just my own thing I had to avoid!

And this thread wouldn't be complete without mentioning Dr. Richard Chopp, a urologist in Austin, TX.

I grew up with Cinnamon Brown. I want to read this book about her as I knew her when she took the rap for murdering her step mother.

I read that book. It was many moons ago, but I remember it being a good, interesting read, as most of the Ann Rule books are.

Name-wise, I'd say that (responding to multiple posts):

"knickerbockers" isn't going to occur to Americans

Deuce and Trey are extremely common names/nicknames in the south, and I would think guys would be more likely to think "Deuce Mcallister" rather than "taking a leak" ;)

I love the name Sailor, and it's actually not such a new one - I'm pretty sure it was on my childhood baby name list, and I'm an old, old lady. My preference would have been for more unusual names, but dh's list was stuck in a 1970s timewarp (howzabout Julie? Karen? Linda? Kelly?), so we met in the middle.

I love unusual names in general, but really dislike unusual spellings, especially those that involve random apostrophes, spaces, and capitilizations in the middle of a name.

My grandpa's name was Russell, and my cousins and I liked to refer to ourselves as Russell sprouts. :)

My friend was telling me about a traffic court judge in our area whose name is Park Eng.

Another friend heard some interesting ones from her dh when he was going through med school clinicals. One woman named her child Meconium after hearing the word & thinking it sounded nice. :001_huh: Another one saw the word "V@gin@" on her chart and thought that "Vah-JEEN-uh" was such a pretty name that she used it to name her dd.

Dh went to school with someone named Daiquiri. Apparently that's what led to his conception... :tongue_smilie: I think he went by Daq.

I know a

Lawrence Lawrence

Osima Osima

and various play on words like

Dusty Road

Chris Cross

3 brothers named

Jan, Chris and Robin.....the mom was hoping for a girl.

DD3's birth name was a made up name, based on a common word spelled backwards.

I know people by almost every month of the year January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, December.

I work with people's names all day long and there are some married names that There is NO Way I would have taken...Kocks and Stufflebean are two that come to mind. Sorry, I would have kept my maiden name instead. I admire people who can take a name and learn to deal with it, but I am not that attached to my name so if it would have been much of a source of contention....I would have gladly changed it.

I'm not going to name names (har har), but some of y'all are way too gullible, lol. While some people ARE nuts and DO give their kids crazy names, quite a few of those listed are debunked urban myths that just keep circulating.

Anyone familiar with northern Appalachia may understand why I couldn't name ds#2 what I REALLY wanted to name him (Jackson). Our last name sounds like "Whites". I tried so hard to ignore the derogatory connotation and go for it anyway, but I just couldn't.

I know a

Lawrence Lawrence

Osima Osima

and various play on words like

Dusty Road

Chris Cross

I knew a Dusty Rhode! Dusty was a nickname though, but his last name really was Rhode. I didn't make the connection until I was older. He is an electrician now and still lives in the area. Nice guy. I don't remember anyone giving him any grief about his name.

Oh my, what a fun thread to read. Many years ago when we lived in small town MS I'd heard of two of the worst kids' names ever. One woman I knew worked in a rural medical clinic and met a lovely little girl who pronounced her name Shi - tass. Yes, spelled that way without the hyphen or spaces. Then there was the woman I worked with who was visiting her daughter in the hospital. Her dd had just had a baby and was in a shared room. She asked the other woman about her baby and its name. The little girl's name sounded like Page-a-may. Lovely name, my friend responded. Where did you get it? Turns out it the new mom saw it in a Sears catalog: Pajama.

Growing up, I didn't know anyone with an unusual name, but dh went to school with a Forrest Green.

Cinder

Here's my list of strangely named people I have known:

I went to high school with a guy whose name was Rich Kidd.

I think I knew this guy. When I read your post I though, Hey--I knew a Rich Kidd, too. Then I saw that you're in VA, where the RK I knew is from. He was a pastor here in GA but he moved back to VA a couple years ago.

Same guy? Small world!

Cinder

Another friend heard some interesting ones from her dh when he was going through med school clinicals. One woman named her child Meconium after hearing the word & thinking it sounded nice. :001_huh: Another one saw the word "V@gin@" on her chart and thought that "Vah-JEEN-uh" was such a pretty name that she used it to name her dd.

This sounds like one I've heard - which I've always chalked up as urban myth - about a woman who named her daughter Chlamydia because she heard it somewhere and thought it sounded pretty.

Has anyone else heard the story that Oprah was supposed to have been "Orpah" - Ruth's sister-in-law, but it was spelled wrong?

ETA: However, the same teacher friend who passed on the Chlamydia story swears that she taught three kids from the same family over the years who were Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow. :)

I have a couple! We have an employee that goes by M.J. His name is Micheal Jackson and prefers M.J. since he's a pasty white boy and hates the inevitable, "but you're white!" comments he gets. I thought his name was M.J. until DH told me. Not a weird one but life makes it hard. He's old enough that it's not a huge issue with his age group but young enough older people and now younger ones LOVE making comments. There is also a Micheal Jackson in the town I live in. He's quite the "legacy" because he also happens to be the only black man in our community. The local drunks just LOVE to say they know Micheal Jackson. Gag me with a spoon. :)

I went o na trip to visit my sister back when DD1 was about a year old. I ended up taking a GreyHound and got stuck next to the most obnoxious and chatty woman. She had a daughter about the same age that she had named Tuesday. This was the first I had ever come across that name (though later found out it's one of the more "common" weekday names..who knew?). I asked her why and she said that when she had her she didn't have a name choice in mind and she was born on a Tuesday so why not? That one still baffles me. Always makes me think of Wednesday from The Addams Family. :lol:

My sil's younger sister is McKinley. Their parents (who are awesomely nutty in an entertaining way :D) liked using maps and phonebooks to find names. They'd also use world leaders for inspiration. It totally fits the girl too.

As for Nickerbocker, I'm in the US and know of it. Heck, my little brother is Nicholas and Nickerbocker is his nickname. :lol: I agree with the pp on initials. When we pick names I aim for ones that cannot be shortened (if you want to call your kid Jenn than why not just name them Jenn!) and don't end up with funky initials.

Funny how many urban myths are on this thread. I got my hair colored back in Sept. and the lady who was doing it knows someone who knew Lemonjello and Orangejello. I had to bite my tounge to keep from groaning. Those jello's sure do get around. :lol:

Our nicknames for dc before they were born were: Finster, Cletus, and Hunter-Fisher. We never considered really using them, though.

If one more person IRL tells me they have a friend who knows a friend who knows a (1.) Crystal Chanda Lear, (2.) orangejello or lemonjello, or (3.) placenta, etc., I will scream, though. :D

One of the genito-urologists in town is named Dr. Richard Tapper, though. (Google it if you don't believe me.)

Edited by angela in ohio

This thread has been so much fun to read! It's amazing what people think of.

Just thought I would add some more laughs:

I went to school with a girl named Tamalpais Star....., my neighbor growing up was Rhyll and her married name was Sharpe, my parents knew a Bunker Hill, and my husband went to school with a guy named Reefer. The craziest one was a gal my husband did some work for, Flossie Mollhair, apparently her name was Florence but she went by Flossie.:D

This is an urban legend that's been going around since at least the 70's. Absolutely no basis in fact... just another way to make AL look like some ignorant, back woods, redneck state.

Yes, as someone from AL I'm absolutely amazed at the number of people who went to school with or taught these twins. These twins have been around for years and years. I know of them at least from 20+ years ago when I was in school.

The only thing I can think of would be douche.

I know two boys called Deuce and no one called them douche.

You can't imagine how glad I am to hear that. I don't know why but when me, my husband and my mother each seperately heard what they were calling him that's the first fear that immediately popped in our heads. If these guys didn't have problems as kids, maybe he won't. Thanks

Being part of the military (Marine Corps) community, I've met quite a few children with unusual names.

Rocket

Diesel

Gunner

Fidelis

Futenma (a base on Okinawa)

Sara Bachi (after the flag raising on Mt. Suribachi)

Sergeant

Puller (after LtGen Lewis "Chesty" Puller)

Tank (I think this was a nickname)

I understand what they're doing, but I do feel bad for the kid who grows up with the name Tank or Rocket.

a

This is an urban legend that's been going around since at least the 70's. Absolutely no basis in fact... just another way to make AL look like some ignorant, back woods, redneck state.

The Lemonjello/Orangejello story was quoted in Chapter 6. of Freakonomics...not sure where they got their facts, but this specific story is in the book. Just read it before Thanksgiving...

Growing up, I lived across the street from a dentist by the name of Dr. Paine.

Edited by BikeBookBread
added linkie

Speaking of colonial names...

the lead character of Bones is named Temperance and the very young looking shrink has the surname of Sweets (which, yes, is used to torment him with).

With one of our children we only had a boy name chosen. I went into labour and stalled out at 7cm. Walked around like that for a week (everything was fine, water intact, etc). We teased that if that child ended up being a girl we'd go for a Puritan name, Patience. Sure enough, Patience finally arrived. Now try standing in a store with a crying newborn and comforting her by softly saying "Patience, Patience, Patience" over and over. Yep, everyone looks at you like you have lost your mind.

Speaking of colonial names...

the lead character of Bones is named Temperance and the very young looking shrink has the surname of Sweets (which, yes, is used to torment him with).

With one of our children we only had a boy name chosen. I went into labour and stalled out at 7cm. Walked around like that for a week (everything was fine, water intact, etc). We teased that if that child ended up being a girl we'd go for a Puritan name, Patience. Sure enough, Patience finally arrived. Now try standing in a store with a crying newborn and comforting her by softly saying "Patience, Patience, Patience" over and over. Yep, everyone looks at you like you have lost your mind.

Great story, mommaduck! Cute AND funny--the best. :)

Being part of the military (Marine Corps) community, I've met quite a few children with unusual names.

Rocket

Diesel

Gunner

Fidelis

Futenma (a base on Okinawa)

Sara Bachi (after the flag raising on Mt. Suribachi)

Sergeant

Puller (after LtGen Lewis "Chesty" Puller)

Tank (I think this was a nickname)

I understand what they're doing, but I do feel bad for the kid who grows up with the name Tank or Rocket.

Don't worry, us TCK's are happily unusual anyhow. My "godmama" was in the military with my mama, but was also a B'hai hippie leftover of the 60's and 70's...I was given an "Persian" (read as Arabic) name. Moved back to the states only to learn that I'm probably the only little "white-native" girl with a "black man's name"....and yes, my friends in school had fun with that one :lol: My twin sisters have rhyming middle names.

Growing up, I lived across the street from a dentist by the name of Dr. Paine.

Come to think of it, I used to have an M.D. by the name of Dr. Blessing...and he was genuinely a wonderful doctor. I think I'd rather be his patient than your neighbor's. :001_smile:

And speaking of doctors, I had a doctor back in the mid ninties by the name of Dr. Pepper. No joke! (He was a wonderful doctor as well, and you know -- he was always kind of perky now that I think of it.)

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

With one of our children we only had a boy name chosen.

I had the same thing happen and ended up with a Stormy. I had had an ultrasound that said boy so I only came prepared with a boy's name. I had an indian, male midwife and we asked him to name her. He had to drive across a stormy winter mountain pass to get to me so Stormy it was. Her name fits. :001_smile: It's sounds almost as funny calling a crying baby Stormy.

I had the same thing happen and ended up with a Stormy. I had had an ultrasound that said boy so I only came prepared with a boy's name. I had an indian, male midwife and we asked him to name her. He had to drive across a stormy winter mountain pass to get to me so Stormy it was. Her name fits. :001_smile: It's sounds almost as funny calling a crying baby Stormy.

:D Yes, it does!

My sil's name is Michael. Her sister's name is Rory. Their dad wanted boys.

A girl I went to school went named her daughter Stormy Destiny. :confused:

My brother's name is Hilary (after my dad, a family name), and his girlfriend is named Ryan... it's pretty funny when they are introduced to new people :lol:.

Guest Dulcimeramy
My brother's name is Hilary (after my dad, a family name), and his girlfriend is named Ryan... it's pretty funny when they are introduced to new people :lol:.

I know a couple named Shannon (him) and Dana (her). I also know a Jerry (him) who married a Geri (her).

My mother worked for the State Board of Health in the late 80's, processing birth certificates. One day she came home and told us about a brand new baby girl with the first and middle names.....

Darling Sodapop.

My name is obviously a woman's (Dawn) but my husband's is Shannon so from time to time I get phone calls where the caller will be careful to refer to me and my "partner". :D

My SIL's name is Shannon. We were at a political rally once and another man walked up, put his hand out to shake and said "Shannon" to which our Shannon said, Yes, but how did you know?" It's not a terribly common name for a guy.

Haha, these are so funny! I knew a couple named Robin (him) and Toni (her). I knew them for years but never got used to it and always called them the wrong names.

A girl in my high school was named April Pine.

I know a woman who's name is Beth, not Elisabeth or anything, just Beth. She married a man who's last name was......Beth. She actually went by the name Beth Beth.