Menu

Can't get this baby's name off my mind...

This is absolutely true -- I'm not joking. A young couple we know that are farmers just had their first baby. People all during the pregnancy referred to the baby as "sprout" and we thought it was cute. Little did we know, but they actually gave their newborn son the name Sprout as a middle name. And to top it off, his first name is Russell!!

I am just shocked that this very educated and intelligent couple would give their dear baby a name like this. I respect their choice certainly and wouldn't dream of criticizing them, but I keep thinking about it and still can't believe it. I grew up with a last name that was easy to joke about and it was painful. I'm afraid this guy is really going to be teased if anyone ever finds out his middle name. I feel soooo sorry for him!

What do you think?

Blessings,

Lucinda

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh. At least it's the middle name. (That's in reply to what I think.). I guess it's not much different in sound or "feel" than "Scout" and I like that alright. When he's grown he can use Russell S.if he wants to.

Oh, what did you mean by "And to top it off, his first name is Russell!!" by the way? Am I missing something about how Russell works with Sprout or do you just not like Russell? ETA!!!! Oh! Oh! I get it now, LOL. That's a little funny, eh?

After naming seven babies and having a wiiiide variety of likes/dislikes, I've mellowed on names over the years. We named our last boy Axel and I still long for the little baby girlie we can name Dagny. ;)

Edited by milovaný

:001_huh:

Sometimes, you really have to wonder what people are thinking to amuse themselves at their child's expense. My sister's boyfriend's name is, I kid you not, Tim Burr. He says that he was teased for years. He does seem to like it now, though. He even put it on his license plate.

And recently, my brother's best friends, who have an extremely strange sense of humor, named their baby Walken South...

-Andrea

Alex(7) & Ian (4)

Edited by caayenne

Meh.

That's rather cute. I don't love my middle name (or even my first name lol) . I rarely have a need to use my middle name. Sometimes I get warm fuzzies thinking how my parents chose it, and sometimes I think "Oy, such a compromise! Bleh."

I don't see it as a big deal for his 'out in the world' life, unless he becomes a politician or a some supah-famous person who makes the cover of People or something.

So, yeah. Meh.

My sister's stepdaughter teaches Kindergarten in Alabama and there were twins named:

Lemonjello and Orangejello

I promise this is true, but they were pronounced a little differently than just reading it like on the box.

I knew a lady in Kentucky that was named Venice like the Italian city but pronounced it Venus like the planet. :confused: She was my next door neighbor. I also used to see her walking around nekkid in her kitchen after dark with all the lights blazing which would make me even more :confused::confused:

It's late.

My DH spent 5 years in the Army, and one of the soldiers in his platoon had twins named (I kid you not) Liberty Ann & Justice Farrell. While I actually like the names Liberty & Justice, the whole Pledge of Allegiance thing is WAAAY over the top!

Oh, that's funny. I read it as FAIRuhl at first. But now I get it :D

I know a couple of children named Justice. It's a very hippie name.

I am not sure using names like Liberty and Justice is much different from choosing names like Grace and Patience, Hope and Charity, or Liberty and Loyal, all of which were common among the English and the early European in North America.

Virtue names were popular for a very long time. Many still are.

My DH spent 5 years in the Army, and one of the soldiers in his platoon had twins named (I kid you not) Liberty Ann & Justice Farrell. While I actually like the names Liberty & Justice, the whole Pledge of Allegiance thing is WAAAY over the top!

I know a couple of children named Justice. It's a very hippie name.

I am not sure using names like Liberty and Justice is much different from choosing names like Grace and Patience, Hope and Charity, or Liberty and Loyal, all of which were common among the English and the early European in North America.

Virtue names were popular for a very long time. Many still are.

Liberty And Justice For All.

Liberty Ann, Justice FerrALL.

Pledge of Allegiance.

Liberty And Justice For All.

Liberty Ann, Justice FerrALL.

Pledge of Allegiance.

I got that. But so? It's not like folks need to tell or use their middle names. They were adults, and liked those names, obviously. If they didn't, they could have omitted them. There's no law about it.

Edited by LibraryLover

I'm very sensitive about name issues too b/c my last name was mocked all growing up. Thank God we have the option to change our names at marriage! hehe :) Our married last name sounds like "Coal" - and once my husband absentmindedly mentioned he wouldn't mind honoring his brother-in-law by naming one of our sons Charlie. Uh. Char-Coal? Absolutely not.

I had a friend in high school who's initials were A S S.

In our church, there's a woman who's maiden last name is Christmas. Her parents named her Mary. Seriously. My dad is a deacon and when she first introduced herself to him, she held out her hand to shake his and said "Mary Christmas". He said he stood there for a moment, having never met her and thinking she was joking... and responded with a cheerful "Happy New Year!". :) He was quite embarrassed afterwards.

I had one friend in high school who's 1st & middle was Heidi Claire ("Well, I Declare!"). Another lady we know named her first daughter Holly Daye (which turned out to sound like "Holiday").

There sure are a lot of Marys with the last name of Christmas in the world! I've heard this a few times now. I never realized Christmas was such a comman surname until the internet.

I'm very sensitive about name issues too b/c my last name was mocked all growing up. Thank God we have the option to change our names at marriage! hehe :) Our married last name sounds like "Coal" - and once my husband absentmindedly mentioned he wouldn't mind honoring his brother-in-law by naming one of our sons Charlie. Uh. Char-Coal? Absolutely not.

I had a friend in high school who's initials were A S S.

In our church, there's a woman who's maiden last name is Christmas. Her parents named her Mary. Seriously. My dad is a deacon and when she first introduced herself to him, she held out her hand to shake his and said "Mary Christmas". He said he stood there for a moment, having never met her and thinking she was joking... and responded with a cheerful "Happy New Year!". :) He was quite embarrassed afterwards.

I had one friend in high school who's 1st & middle was Heidi Claire ("Well, I Declare!"). Another lady we know named her first daughter Holly Daye (which turned out to sound like "Holiday").

Edited by LibraryLover

:lol:

I went to school with a Gilbert Gilbert and know twins WynDee and BreeZee.

I'm with the, "It's cute," crowd. I don't really think it's as bad as most of the names here and certainly not worth getting worked up or out of sorts over.

As for being worried about how kids will tease this child, frankly, that may happen anyway. You don't need a clever name for that to happen - kids will find a way.

I'm very sensitive about name issues too b/c my last name was mocked all growing up. Thank God we have the option to change our names at marriage! hehe :) .

I used to go to church with a woman whose first name was Carol. She married a man whose last name was Carroll. I think that would have been a time to keep the maiden name. She would introduce herself as Carol Carroll. People would look at her like she was crazy.

My sister's stepdaughter teaches Kindergarten in Alabama and there were twins named:

I promise this is true, but they were pronounced a little differently than just reading it like on the box.

This is an urban legend that's been going around since at least the 70's. Absolutely no basis in fact... just another way to make AL look like some ignorant, back woods, redneck state.

I heard this from a nurse friend of mine--lady named her twins Lurine and Urine.

I think it's selfish of parents to give their kids names that are obviously gimmicky. It feels like attention-getting at the expense of your children.

No, there's no law against it. It just rubs me the wrong way.

Oh, We had a set of twins named that in a school I went to in MS. This was more than 15 years ago, so they'd be grown now. They've gotta be related :lol:

They pronounced it something like Lay-monj-allo and Or-ahnj-allo.

There was also a girl that was pregnant and talking about naming her baby (don't know how to spell it, but this is how it was pronounced) Way-ter-malon. Yep, the fancy pronunciation of watermelon. Bless her. :001_huh:

So, we accidentally did something similar. I have always loved the boy name "Levi" and finally got my Dh to like it with our final son. He wanted to use his name as the middle name "James" since we hadn't used it for the other boys and this would be our last baby. We struck a deal, and went with "Levi James"... not realizing until we left the hospital and someone said it in their Texan accent that it sounds like "Levi Jeans". Oops! It was completely an accident :lol:.

So, we accidentally did something similar. I have always loved the boy name "Levi" and finally got my Dh to like it with our final son. He wanted to use his name as the middle name "James" since we hadn't used it for the other boys and this would be our last baby. We struck a deal, and went with "Levi James"... not realizing until we left the hospital and someone said it in their Texan accent that it sounds like "Levi Jeans". Oops! It was completely an accident :lol:.

This is why I think people shouldn't keep secret their baby name choices a secret until the last minute! LOL...Yours is actually not that bad, but some things you just might never think of until someone else points it out.

A friend of mine from work named her son Michael...she was married to the baby's father, but decided to give him the father's name at the last minute....Douglas. :tongue_smilie:

My brother is expecting another baby (he is 40). He has this idea he wants to give the baby 4 total names....and I had it in my head that it cost more to add an extra name to the birth certificate. So I called AR Bureau of Vital Statitistics and asked. Phone lady: I have no idea.

Scarlett: Who would have an idea

Tranfer several times, voice mail, disconnect and FINALLY get a woman who

explains to me their is no extra charge and no true limit, but too many characters make it impossible to fit on the ss card....she asked me for an example.....I gave her one....and she said that might work and then she said,

'But don't be naming it after every Auntie in the family and every friend you ever had---Just have mercy on the child!'

:lol:

Years ago my sister was delivering a baby (she's an OB) -- the docs were resolving an issue of 'dystocia'

After the little girl was born without any issues, the mom asked my sister what 'that' word was she heard them using. My sister replied, 'Dystocia.' The mom asked how it was spelled, my sister told her. THAT is what the mom named the baby.:D

This is an urban legend that's been going around since at least the 70's. Absolutely no basis in fact... just another way to make AL look like some ignorant, back woods, redneck state.

My grandmother always swore that there were twins born in Sylacauga in the fifties at the hospital she worked for named that.

Everybody and their brother knows someone who claims to have known or taught these kids. They must get around! Just last night we were at a friend's house and she swore that her mother taught these twins here in a school in our state (which is not Alabama). This is an urban legend.

Tara

I know a guy with the last name Walker whose first name was Jay. He named his son Luke Sky. Seriously.

Eh, my kids names are over the top too. It's not so weird these days to be named like that. Names that would have seemed totally made up and bizarre twenty years ago are in the top 250 now. Sprout could be the next Ryder or Jaden. And I'd rather have it for a middle name than a first name.

Everybody and their brother knows someone who claims to have known or taught these kids. They must get around! Just last night we were at a friend's house and she swore that her mother taught these twins here in a school in our state (which is not Alabama). This is an urban legend.

Tara

There is a Lemonjello Snicket and a Orangejello Snicket that live in Georgia.

There is a Lemonjello Gerard in Florida (who use to live in Georgia.)

Who knows if they are real, but the names do show up in online people searches!