Menu

Can't get this baby's name off my mind...

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew a guy named Richard Head. Think about the old fashioned nickname for Richard and you'll get it.

I hesitated to add this one because it sounds like I'm making it up for shock's sake but this is absolutely true. My DH had a salesman call on him who actually shook his hand and introduced himself as Harry Balz. My DH burst out laughing at the time and the guy just laughed along. Why would ANYONE keep that name?

I work with people's names all day long and there are some married names that There is NO Way I would have taken...Kocks and Stufflebean are two that come to mind. Sorry, I would have kept my maiden name instead. I admire people who can take a name and learn to deal with it, but I am not that attached to my name so if it would have been much of a source of contention....I would have gladly changed it.

Same here. I think of this everytime I hear my church friend's last name.....Horney. WHY didn't they use HER maiden name instead. They have three kids who use the spelling Horne at school to avoid ridicule. It doesn't work, I'm sure.

I was introduced to a beautiful gal named Candida once. What I said was "What an interesting name! Is there a story behind it?" What I thought was, "OHMYGOODNESS! YOU'RE NAMED AFTER A YEAST INFECTION????"

Turns out her parents were song writers and named her after a song sung by Tony Orlando. She grew up to become a professor of music and named her daughter Lyric, which I think is beautiful.

My brother's name is Hilary (after my dad, a family name), and his girlfriend is named Ryan... it's pretty funny when they are introduced to new people :lol:.

When I was working, we had customers named Kelly and Sam, and Kelly was the dh. It used to confuse us all.

My parents friends when I was growing up were Bert & Ernie.

• 2 weeks later...
Were I to have been blessed with another child, a girl would be Merciful Grace 'Mercy' and a boy would have been Justus Jasper....yup...I had friends named Sky, Star, Forest, Tree, Meadow and my hippie name was Shining Star.

I like all those names too. I guess it comes from my positive feelings about my own nature name. I'm glad no one has to look in a baby name book to know the meaning of Rose.

My optometrist growing up had the last name Ball and the middle initial I. (Dr. Stephen I. Ball).

The head of the local ER is Dr. Slaughter and mistreated both my brother and father (nearly fatally for my bro, my Dad just wanted to die since it was gallbladder).

One of my commanding officers when I was in the Navy was Richard Bump, but he went by the old-timey nickname (and boy, was it ever apt...).

And, I know that there is a last name Bobo (like the clown) because I was lucky enough to be stationed on the MV 2nd Lt John P Bobo. "Hey, what ship are you on?" "Oh, I'm on the the, um, <cough, mumble> Bobo." Although, I had my own stateroom with my own bathroom, desk, minifridge, etc as an E-5, so it wasn't *so* bad to be on the Bobo :lol:

My grandmother was Myrtle Jane, and my mother wanted to name me after her in some way. Jane really isn't a bad middle name. She was freqently called Myrtle the Turtle.

Our last name is frequently mis-pronounced like Dunn, but is actually pronounced like Dune. So, I turned down XH's vote for Soren as a name, and he turned down Benjamin for me (sore and done, ben done; he actually has ancestors name Soren, apparently it's a good Danish name...). Lorna was also out. One of the older civilian guys at one of my commands (in the mil you are called my your last name) always called me Sandy Dune so he could say it right (note, my name is *not* Sandy).

I'm sure I've got more, I just can't think of them now :D

My baby's middle name is Knight. His first name is Declan, so his cousins have started calling him "Dark Knight", as in Batman. My husband is thrilled to no end about it. lol!

We were thinking of Stone for a middle name for the baby, as my other kids called him Pebbles all throughout my pregnancy. At one point we were considering Ronin as a first name, and it was a while before I clued into how Ronin Stone sounded together. That could have been a lovely accidental name! And we had a similar thing happen with our choice if the baby were a girl -- first name Ivory, middle name Hope. I think this baby just happened to want something a little different for a name. ;)

My daughter's name is Fallon Rose. A couple of years ago a woman I know wrote it as Fallen. Until then, it never occured to me that people might think we named our child "fallen rose". Oh well.

My mother knew two older women named Ima and Ura, and their last name was Payne. I never did know if that was a birth name or name by marriage. Hopefully no parent would do that to their child on purpose!

My sister's stepdaughter teaches Kindergarten in Alabama and there were twins named:

Lemonjello and Orangejello

I promise this is true, but they were pronounced a little differently than just reading it like on the box.

It's funny you mention this because I know the girl who actually went up to the room and filled out the form for the birth certificate.

The mother claimed that what was she craved during her pregnancy.

We had a child in our practice named Courvassier (sp?). I had to my co-workers what it was. Oh to be so naive now. :lol:

My sister's stepdaughter teaches Kindergarten in Alabama and there were twins named:

Lemonjello and Orangejello

I promise this is true, but they were pronounced a little differently than just reading it like on the box.

Uh huh. Raise your hand if you're the only person in the world who hasn't heard this story. Funny how urban legends are always accentuated with "I SWEAR it's true".

http://www.babynamewizard.com/archives/2004/9/oranjello-and-lemonjello

http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp

Laura Wattenberg at Baby Name Wizard (author of baby name wizard and name expert) believes these stories are perpetuated as a subtle way to talk about race.... read more...

"They exist in a complex social setting, and they serve a subtle and consequential purpose. They are proxies for talking about race.

I am not saying that telling the story of Le-a, or Lemonjello and Oranjello, or Male and Female (that's MAH-lay and feh-MAH-lay, of course) makes you a racist. People of every color and background repeat the stories because they're clever and amusing. What I am saying is that as a group, the legend names have a context and meaning we shouldn't ignore. Or to put it another way, I haven't mentioned a word about Ledasha's race, but didn't you draw assumptions about it? And aren't those assumptions a key part of the story?"

http://www.babynamewizard.com/archives/2009/10/ledasha-legends-and-race-part-one

Or to put it another way, I haven't mentioned a word about Ledasha's race, but didn't you draw assumptions about it?

Sure. I assumed she was from Utah.

And aren't those assumptions a key part of the story?"

Most definitely not. Race was never part of the discussion. It was a discussion on ridiculous names. Were any racial assumptions made with Ima or Ura? Of course not. I realize people can mean more than they are saying, but if race were a key part of this story, I think it might have been mentioned sooner than your post since it's come up so many times.