Menu

Am I the only one who doesn't like the song...

I haven't heard it, but I remember from previous conversations here that people tend to hate it.

I do think of it every time I'm in a book store and I see a red cover with the title, "The Christmas Sweater". I always wonder if the book is as sappy as people say the song is.

I like most Christmas songs, but the ones I dislike are:

That one

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (so depressing!)

Away in a Manger (although it's growing on me. But still dislike the second verse.)

Santa Baby

The Little Drummer Boy

Standards that I love:

Handel's Messiah, especially "And the Glory of the Lord" and the H Chorus

Silent Night

Joy to the World

Hark the Herald Angels Sing

Angels We have Heard on High

Oh Come, All Ye Faithful

The First Noel

In Dulci Jubilo

Behold a Branch is Growing

Oh Holy Night

Oh Little Town of Bethlehem

Obscure but very good:

When Jesus Was a Baby

This Christmas (secular, Donny Hathaway)

Oh, Rejoice, Ye Christians, Loudly (

Beside Thy Cradle, Here I Stand

Break Forth oh Beauteous, Heavenly Light

The Nativity (Luke 2, sung by children. About 90 years old)

Alle Jahre Wieder (As Each Happy Christmas)

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day (wow, read the original. It has two verses about the South in the Civil War. We skipped those when I included this as a hymn in the Children's Christmas Service last year. But wow.)

The Holy City

Oh How Joyfully (O Du Frohliche)

Advent:

Lift Up Your Heads, Ye Mighty Gates

Wake, Awake, For Night is Flying

My Deliverer (contemporary, gasp!)

Hark the Glad Sound

Oh Lord, How Shall I Meet Thee?

I cannot listen to that song. The first time I heard it was 8 years ago. I had a br**st cancer scare 2 weeks before Christmas and during the days I was going through h*ll waiting to see the dr, waiting for the mammogram appt to be made, then waiting for the test itself, I kept hearing that song over and over on the radio. My youngest was only 7 and I kept thinking how I didn't want my boys to grow up without me like the little boy in that song. Every time I hear it come on I think of that horrible time and I change the station immediately.

standards that i love:

Handel's messiah, especially "and the glory of the lord" and the h chorus

silent night

joy to the world

hark the herald angels sing

angels we have heard on high

oh come, all ye faithful

the first noel

in dulci jubilo

behold a branch is growing

oh holy night

oh little town of bethlehem

obscure but very good:

When jesus was a baby

this christmas (secular, donny hathaway)

oh, rejoice, ye christians, loudly (

beside thy cradle, here i stand

break forth oh beauteous, heavenly light

the nativity (luke 2, sung by children. About 90 years old)

alle jahre wieder (as each happy christmas)

i heard the bells on christmas day (wow, read the original. It has two verses about the south in the civil war. We skipped those when i included this as a hymn in the children's christmas service last year. But wow.)

the holy city

oh how joyfully (o du frohliche)

advent:

Lift up your heads, ye mighty gates

wake, awake, for night is flying

my deliverer (contemporary, gasp!)

hark the glad sound

oh lord, how shall i meet thee?

thanks for this great list!!!!

Guest Virginia Dawn

My two all time hated Christmas songs: Christmas Shoes and "Last Christmas I gave you my heart." Blech, double blech.

I'd rather listen to Santa Baby all day than hear one of those.

I'd rather listen to Santa Baby all day than hear one of those.

No way. I despise Santa Baby. I can't listen to that song anymore. My EX-church played that song during a Christmas dinner. One of the young woman of the church actually acted it out with one of the guys, sat in his lap, etc. My husband says his brain is forever seared with that horrifying image.

How about "Baby It's Cold Outside"?

I call it the date rape carol.

I mean...the lyrics! Seriously?

The neighbors might think - Baby, it's bad out there

Say, what's in this drink :confused:- No cabs to be had out there

or

I simply must go - Baby, it's cold outside

The answer is no - Ooh baby, it's cold outside

She said NO, dude. :tongue_smilie:

Can't stand it. Every time I heard it I yell at the radio and say 'Yea - that's what your mom wants - you to spend your last pennies on shoes so she can be dead with shoes on instead of you having food.' Just can't stand it - and to think they made a TV movie out of that song. YUCK

Heather

LOL, my dd said today, as we heard the intro to that song in the car, "Yeah, like your mom really needs new shoes to see Jesus. She'll probably be barefoot in heaven, anyway!"

I don't like that song for sentimental reasons. Three years ago today I was driving home in the middle of a snowstorm from the hospital after seeing my MIL who was dying. We knew she wouldn't make it through the next 24 hours and this song came on the radio and I bawled my eyes out. Hearing this song turns me into a faucet immediately.

Never heard it and don't care to. Songs like these are the reason I never turn on the radio. I like more traditional Christmas songs and only listen to my mom's old vinyl records at Christmas time. They are very nice!

Well.....mostly.....I like TSO. :D

Can't stand it. Every time I heard it I yell at the radio and say 'Yea - that's what your mom wants - you to spend your last pennies on shoes so she can be dead with shoes on instead of you having food.' Just can't stand it - and to think they made a TV movie out of that song. YUCK

Heather

My feelings exactly! :iagree: I change the station when this force-fed sobfest comes on the radio.

How about "Baby It's Cold Outside"?

I call it the date rape carol.

:eek:

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

That is such a great description... disgusting, but accurate! I hate that tune...

As far as the shoe song, I really don't like that one either. I love the old carols. I'd rather hear the third, fourth and fifth verses of those anytime over the sappy contemporary Christmas songs our local stations play all day.

I'm another that turns it off when it comes on - I can't stand it.

Almost all other Christmas songs I like... but that one is just plain annoying. I remind my boys every time I hear it that if I'm heading to heaven soon I DON'T NEED NOR WANT SHOES! Be smarter than that boy was!!! (I'm not a gift giver with regards to love types.)