Menu

Black bridesmaid's dresses????!!!!!

OK, help me on this one. My niece is getting married in January - an evening wedding - and she has chosen black for her bridesmaid's dresses. I know black is a formal color, but for the bridesmaid's dresses? I'm just a bit stunned. Tell me this is going to be ok and that it will look great and everyone will be amazed at how beautiful they all end up looking.:) She is a very classy young lady when it comes to fashion so it will probably surprise me and turn out ok; it's just that I've never heard of it before. I have heard that you should never wear black to a wedding, lol.

OK, help me on this one. My niece is getting married in January - an evening wedding - and she has chosen black for her bridesmaid's dresses. I know black is a formal color, but for the bridesmaid's dresses? I'm just a bit stunned. Tell me this is going to be ok and that it will look great and everyone will be amazed at how beautiful they all end up looking.:) She is a very classy young lady when it comes to fashion so it will probably surprise me and turn out ok; it's just that I've never heard of it before. I have heard that you should never wear black to a wedding, lol.

I understand your horror--but I can tell you, as a bridesmaid who was asked to wear a black outfit, that it turned out GORGEOUS and the wedding party looked stunning. Our outfits were sort of like what you might imagine an Arabian princess wearing--the pants were flowy, and the the bodice shimmered. But yes--all black.

And it was fabulous! Take heart. :)

Black is perfectly fine. I wore black in two different weddings. Well I wore it in one wedding, but got into a fight with my brother days before his wedding, and we ended up just not going, so I have a second black bridesmaid dress sitting in my closet with tags still on it. IT looked wonderful in the wedding I went to. I'm sure it looked fine in the second one too.

I've worn a black dress as a bridesmaid and the wedding/photos turned out just fine, the bride and groom survived the honeymoon, and they are still married almost 20 years later so black dresses don't spell doom.

Depending on the style of the dress the ladies may even be able to wear their dresses more than once. :)

My bridesmaids wore black dresses 9 years ago (in the afternoon, even ...) They were gorgeous! The church I married in had red carpet, pale blue and white walls, and cream curtain hanging behind the cross with silver pipes for the organ. Plus it was decorated for Christmas (a nice, cheap way to decorate for your wedding LOL)

In other words, it was a mess of colors. The only thing that would tie that mess together was Christmas colored flowers (perfect) and black dresses. And, if you ask me, it was beautiful. I'll try and post a picture from the other computer later.

Pics from my sister's wedding:

Leslie%27s+Wedding+5-14-05+026.jpg<--me w/ kids. Dd was sick.

Leslie%27s+Wedding+5-14-05+040.jpg<--my 2 bigs, when they were little®.

Leslie%27s+Wedding+5-14-05+009.jpg<--that's my elbow, 2 bridesmaids, groom's bro (does that make him my bil? sis's bil? dude at the wedding.)

Leslie%27s+Wedding+5-14-05+023.jpg<--other bridesmaids

I wish I had some of the formal shots to show how beautiful it was, but the rest of the ones I've uploaded (much better, because they're of *my* kids, lol) but less relevant because there's less of the black dresses showing: http://aubreysmagnumopus.blogspot.com/

My sil did it. She wanted dresses we could wear again and she took into account the fact that all of her bridesmaids were pregnant :p The hope was to make us feel less self conscious and if anyone gave birth before the wedding (I did) then any 'leakage' would be less apparent. That didn't work out too well, because milk is white :glare:

Your niece is not alone :grouphug:

The first time I saw a black and white wedding I was surprised but found that I loved the way it looked. It was very, very classy.

A couple years after that a dear friend asked me to be in her wedding. The bridesmaids were told to pick their own, black velvet dresses. The effect was stunning--didn't look somber or mismatched at all. Many people complimented both the look and the practicality of it. All of us were able to use our dresses again in other settings.

Your niece's wedding will look just beautiful.

It will be beautiful.

Black-and-white weddings look very classy. A friend's niece had a black-and-white wedding. The bridesmaids wore black and carried red flowers. The pictures were stunning.

Cat

:iagree: I would think everything else would standout and be more beautiful. Classy!:001_smile:

I asked my female attendant to wear black. It was an afternoon wedding in June, and she and I carried "wildflower"-ish bouquets down the aisle (outside wedding on a mountaintop). It looked amazingly wonderful. Our photographs look georgous, too. To be honest, I didn't care what my bridesmaid wore, and the black dress is what she chose.

I have heard that you should never wear black to a wedding, lol.

I think this rule went out of fashion. I used to work at a very high end retailer over 10 years ago and bridesmaids and attendees were both wearing black to evening weddings then. I wore black to my youngest brother's wedding. I've seen wedding pictures w/black bridesmaid dresses and beautiful rose bouqets and it looks very nice. :D

A black and white evening wedding in January? Lovely! Is she in the north, by chance? Because if she were, it would be especially lovely with silver and icy/frosty colors, maybe a chic (fake, of course) white fur wrap...aahh!

I think it'll be lovely - its not like she's wearing white shoes after Labor day or anything ;). (just kidding)

Thanks for all the encouraging replies everyone. You know, the more I think about it, the more I can imagine it being a very classy affair. All the pics have helped too. At first it seemed depressing, but now that I've seen some of the dresses and heard about all that beauty and class I'm convinced it will be an absolutely beautiful event. And it does make a lot of sense. Everyone can use a formal black dress sooner or later - not so much the puffy-sleeved pink taffeta I inflicted on my bridesmaids (although wearing them did prove their unfailing devotion to me).:D

My bridesmaid's dresses were black in my wedding. We had red roses. It was elegant, I thought. Much better than getting stuck with a teal taffetta ball gown you couldn't possibly wear again.

My bridesmaids wore black. It was beautiful! They were all different shapes, sizes, ages, and skin-tones (I'm talking my rail-thin, 13 year-old cousin, all the way to my friend who was so big that David's Bridal didn't even carry her size) so I told them all to find a long black dress that they felt comfortable in. Because all of my bridesmaids were so different, there is no way I could have found a color and style to suit all of them. Black pretty much works on everyone. It was very elegant.

• 1 year later...

I think it would look stunning, especially with really beautiful classic jewellery, really tasteful and make the bridesmaids feel amazing too.

I used to work behind the bar at weddings and saw some of the most horrendous bridesmaid dresses. Horrible colours and either super puffy mahoosive creations or that super clingy bias cut style but in cheap fabrics that show off every bump and lump and make even the skinniest girl look dreadful.

Edited by lailasmum

My best friend had us wear black, full length bridesmaid dresses. It was an evening wedding.

It was beautiful. Dont worry.

:iagree:

This is what my cousin did. Very classy and beautiful. One of the few bridesmaids dresses I could use again.:)