Menu

Honest question about christmas

PeacefulChaos

So you guys know how *some* people like to turn Christmas into a battleground? Like the whole 'no happy holidays' hoopla?

Where did that come from?

Like I'm just sitting here and I came across another post on FB about it being 'Christmas' and I'm like but has anyone said it can't be?

Was there ever anyone who says, 'no, we aren't going to call it Christmas anymore, including those who celebrate it'?

Was there ever an actual occurrence of people being bothered by others saying 'merry Christmas' as opposed to something else?

Idk, I'm just thinking here. Like idk why some people make it out to be such a big deal. If someone gives a holiday greeting - any holiday greeting - I just take it at face value, they're doing so with good intentions whether *I* celebrate said holiday or not. So why would I get upset by it? I would just say 'Thanks! You too!'

So why isn't that just how everyone thinks? If I work at a store as a cashier and tell people merry Christmas, that's not offensive. If the next cashier over doesn't celebrate Christmas but is Jewish and says happy Hanukkah, that's not offensive. If I love Halloween and say happy Halloween, that's not offensive.

So why is offense being created? I don't know which party started it (though I'm assuming it's the one I always see complain about this) but like, why is it even a thing? Why can't people just do what they want (in regards to this) and everyone live and let live?

• Like 14

I think part of it is that people as employees are being told that they can't reference their own holiday verbally, which is sensitive.

It also makes it awkward for someone to reply, "Thanks, Merry Christmas," which they may badly want to do.  I do it anyway sometimes, and once a lady thanked me profusely and said that they are not allowed to say that anymore unless someone else says it first.  I felt sorry for her, being put in that spot and having to censor herself so much. 

But sometimes a specific reference doesn't feel right to me.  I actually found myself saying, "Happy Everything!" to someone recently.  I meant it, but it probably sounded funny.  These are peculiar times.  People take huge offense no matter what you do. 

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 5

It's been a slow simmering pot since the 50's.  God was in everything, everywhere because if you were not Christian, you were Communist.  In God We Trust.  One Nation Under God...courthouses erecting the ten commandments in the 40s and 50s.

Fast forward to a nation that is struggling to understand civil rights.  In trying to be inclusive, overly religiousness is removed from schools (either forcefully or voluntarily).  The 80s saw a lot of discord and trying to balance equality with Title IX, immigration, homosexuality, and breaking down barriers either through lawsuits or (more rarely) volunteered.  It made people less afraid to speak up for individual rights/wants.

Telling people, no, you can't force your religious beliefs on someone else is the catalyst for the "war on Christmas" nonsense.  Nobody really cares who celebrates what, but people are offended when they're not allowed to speak for everyone and dictate the season. 

• Like 3

I don't know when it started, or who started it, but yes, there has been anti-Christmas stuff going on, as when a local shopping center decided to have a "Great Tree" lighting...in December...instead of a Christmas tree lighting. And cities taking down Nativity scenes which have been going up every year for longer than most people can remember.

• Like 2

So you guys know how *some* people like to turn Christmas into a battleground? Like the whole 'no happy holidays' hoopla?

Where did that come from?

Like I'm just sitting here and I came across another post on FB about it being 'Christmas' and I'm like but has anyone said it can't be?

Was there ever anyone who says, 'no, we aren't going to call it Christmas anymore, including those who celebrate it'?

Was there ever an actual occurrence of people being bothered by others saying 'merry Christmas' as opposed to something else?

YES.

I don't know if it was ever systematic. But I've had a mini-war break out in a group (APA -- we collated and sent around bound up paper books of everyone's contributions) I was in when I sent Christmas cards to everyone in the group. -- this was about 15 years ago. One fellow was really insulted that I dared to send him a Christmas card and the rest of the group took sides as to whether I should have or not and it just became a big deal.

Edited by vonfirmath

I am not anti-Christmas; I am anti-ignoring that other people have celebrations going on too. I mean, I am not going to take offense to someone wishing me a Merry Christmas, but, as a Jew, it is a meaningless thing to say to me. Happy Holidays, on the other hand, is inclusive, which is the side on which I prefer to err. 

As for nativity scenes, I have no idea why any city, or other state entity, should be in the business of putting up overtly religious symbols. A business or other private property -- sure, but I am not comfortable with that kind of stuff on government property.

• Like 40

The idea of a War on Christmas was started in 2004 by a particular presenter on a certain network. He had a segment of his show with a title that clearly indicated he thought there was a problem. I'm pretty sure discussing it further or linking would violate board rules. You can google it.

Yes, it goes back farther than that. There's Henry Ford's anti-semitism, and there were some complaints about the end of Christmas here and there in the 1950's. However, the modern day controversy can be traced to that mentioned above.

• Like 6

I spent a lot of years working in retail and I have experienced it firsthand - yes, people do get bent out of shape if you say "Merry Christmas" and they don't celebrate it for whatever reason.

I frankly think the best thing is to take it as somebody wishing you well, no matter what they say, and wishing them well too.  I actually reposted a meme to that effect last year on FB.

I also think that "Happy Holidays" covers the broader New Year's as well and thus is completely appropriate.

I'm just tired of everything having to be A Big Deal.

• Like 7

I am not anti-Christmas; I am anti-ignoring that other people have celebrations going on too. I mean, I am not going to take offense to someone wishing me a Merry Christmas, but, as a Jew, it is a meaningless thing to say to me. Happy Holidays, on the other hand, is inclusive, which is the side on which I prefer to err. 

It varies so much, though.

I have a friend who is Jewish who regards 'Happy Holidays' as coding for 'Merry Christmas' and is equally offended by either one. 

The other thing is that Christmas is not per se an utterly religious holiday.  There are tons of secular aspects to it that a lot of people who are not religious or believing at all  or not identifying with Christianity in any way still celebrate for fun.  It's almost to the point in the US where Christmas is secular in the same way as (formerly St.) Valentine's Day is.  It's just awkward all around. 

What I hate, and the only thing that actually does offend me as a Christian, is when people have a supposedly inclusive holiday celebration in which most songs off all faith holidays including secular Christmas ones are sung 'straight', except that only parodies of sacred Christian songs are sung.  (Yes this actually was customary in one group I was in.)  So we sang Jingle Bells and other nonChristian Christmas songs and Chanukah and Solstice songs straight, but O Come All Ye Faithful was rewritten sarcastically.  Not cool.

Other than that, I'm easy.  I'm good with whatever. 

• Like 2

I spent a lot of years working in retail and I have experienced it firsthand - yes, people do get bent out of shape if you say "Merry Christmas" and they don't celebrate it for whatever reason.

I frankly think the best thing is to take it as somebody wishing you well, no matter what they say, and wishing them well too. I actually reposted a meme to that effect last year on FB.

I also think that "Happy Holidays" covers the broader New Year's as well and thus is completely appropriate.

I'm just tired of everything having to be A Big Deal.

Yes to this!!!

All I'm thinking is, if I celebrate a holiday, chances are that I will wish people a happy _____.

Can't everything just be taken nicely instead of it being a big deal?

I don't see why a person of any faith can't wish others a happy holidays, however their religion celebrates it, whether by saying merry Christmas or happy holidays or happy Kwanzaa or whatever. I don't get why businesses have made policies about what people can and can't say - doesn't that fall under freedom of speech?

Idk. I guess I just don't get why it all matters lol. To say happy *insert any holiday here* isn't shoving any religion down anyone's throat... It's just well-wishing and well-meaning.

People are weird.

• Like 3

It seems that the retail business should be thanking Christians. After all, Christmas is all about celebrating the birth of Christ. God gave his only Son, which is the ultimate gift.

We in turn give to others in the spirit of giving...fast forward to 2015, when we still celebrate Christmas, but everything is Santa, Santa, Santa and buy, buy, buy! Sales everywhere and bigger pockets for the retail business.

Mind you, I am not against the idea of Santa.  But the real reason this whole holiday got started seems to be getting forgotten!

• Like 1

All I know is that my mom's husband, who has never set foot in a church, was never bothered by "Happy Holidays' until a news caster on a particular channel, and a certain guy with a radio show told him he should be upset by it. Now he finds it offensive because 'if you go by numbers, Christians are in the majority so people should honor that."

Again, given his total and complete lack of religious affiliation, we all just find it hilarious. And we all make a point of saying Happy Holidays as much as possible. I start just before Thanksgiving and I end after New Year's Day. I guess I could go to epiphany, but I have no idea when that is or if anyone I know celebrates it. Of course, to honor my mother's husband, I could include Super Bowl weekend in that, lol.

• Like 10

As a Jew (who used to be a Christian), I am happy to wish people a Merry Christmas.  It isn't my holiday (and my winter holiday, Hanukah, isn't a major Jewish holiday), but Christmas seems to make Christians happy.  If they say Happy Festivus, that's OK too.  Happy Kwanza, terrific!

I'm not sure why people get their panties in a wad over this.  

• Like 9

All I know is that my mom's husband, who has never set foot in a church, was never bothered by "Happy Holidays' until a news caster on a particular channel, and a certain guy with a radio show told him he should be upset by it. Now he finds it offensive because 'if you go by numbers, Christians are in the majority so people should honor that."

Again, given his total and complete lack of religious affiliation, we all just find it hilarious. And we all make a point of saying Happy Holidays as much as possible. I start just before Thanksgiving and I end after New Year's Day. I guess I could go to epiphany, but I have no idea when that is or if anyone I know celebrates it. Of course, to honor my mother's husband, I could include Super Bowl weekend in that, lol.

One of my good friends is Greek by heritage. Her parents took the kids to church but didn't go themselves. She's raising her kids in a sort of Orthodox-Catholic (her DH) hybrid. They go to church(es) regularly, etc. etc. etc. She picked a Christmas card design that said Season's Greetings. Her kids were in red and green plaid on the card with a tree in the background. Her mother (who is not religious at all) called and reamed her out because how DARE she not send Christmas cards. What might people think?! Maybe they're converting to Islam! She shouldn't shop at Costco any more because they don't sell only CHRISTMAS card designs. :rofl: Sometimes all you can do is laugh at the crazy.

• Like 4

I don't know when it started, or who started it, but yes, there has been anti-Christmas stuff going on, as when a local shopping center decided to have a "Great Tree" lighting...in December...instead of a Christmas tree lighting. And cities taking down Nativity scenes which have been going up every year for longer than most people can remember.

My state kept the nativity, but now we have festivus poles erected by the satanists or some such thing. Allow one, you have to allow all. 

• Like 8

Yes to this!!!

All I'm thinking is, if I celebrate a holiday, chances are that I will wish people a happy _____.

Can't everything just be taken nicely instead of it being a big deal?

I don't see why a person of any faith can't wish others a happy holidays, however their religion celebrates it, whether by saying merry Christmas or happy holidays or happy Kwanzaa or whatever. I don't get why businesses have made policies about what people can and can't say - doesn't that fall under freedom of speech?

Idk. I guess I just don't get why it all matters lol. To say happy *insert any holiday here* isn't shoving any religion down anyone's throat... It's just well-wishing and well-meaning.

People are weird.

Because the first time someone gets wished a happy Solstice and throws an antipagan fit the store will have more trouble than it wants. Better everyone say "happy holidays". Besides, we have Christmas, New Years, and Hanukkah all around the same time. Makes more sense to me to say Happy Holidays. 

• Like 4

I'm not Christian and it doesn't bother me if people say "Merry Christmas" to me at all. I will also take any other holiday greetings people wish to direct my way!

I am a bit curious to see what would happen if I wished everyone I met "Eid Mubarak" on our next holiday, but I'm nervous in today's climate. Maybe I should try it, though, "for science" of course.  ;)

• Like 14

I think part of it is that people as employees are being told that they can't reference their own holiday verbally, which is sensitive.

It also makes it awkward for someone to reply, "Thanks, Merry Christmas," which they may badly want to do. I do it anyway sometimes, and once a lady thanked me profusely and said that they are not allowed to say that anymore unless someone else says it first. I felt sorry for her, being put in that spot and having to censor herself so much.

But sometimes a specific reference doesn't feel right to me. I actually found myself saying, "Happy Everything!" to someone recently. I meant it, but it probably sounded funny. These are peculiar times. People take huge offense no matter what you do.

I worked at a large chain grocery store in the Deep South in high school in the early 1990s. Management asked us to say Happy Holidays. Happy Holidays is inclusive of all holidays. We could wear Christmas earrings or crosses or whatever with our uniforms. We weren't tarred and feathered if we said Merry Christmas.** It's not about shutting up or marginalizing Christians at all. Being inclusive of all customers simply makes good business sense.

**And yes, there's always a story about how someone with a cause decides to protest her bosses' instructions and say Merry Christmas loud and proud and gets fired for insubordination and being a PITA.

• Like 4

The idea of a War on Christmas was started in 2004 by a particular presenter on a certain network. He had a segment of his show with a title that clearly indicated he thought there was a problem. I'm pretty sure discussing it further or linking would violate board rules. You can google it.

I wonder how much of this "War on Xmas" stuff on that particular network was inspired by Dominion Theology. I wonder what direct links, if any, exist here.

I'm so annoyed by the big controversy. It's gotten to where not a single retail worker has wished me Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or any other greeting this month. Why? Because everyone dumps on retail workers. They didn't ask to be on the front lines of the stupidest "war" ever. So they opt out and don't say anything. Better than giving offense.

• Like 12

It seems that the retail business should be thanking Christians. After all, Christmas is all about celebrating the birth of Christ. God gave his only Son, which is the ultimate gift.

We in turn give to others in the spirit of giving...fast forward to 2015, when we still celebrate Christmas, but everything is Santa, Santa, Santa and buy, buy, buy! Sales everywhere and bigger pockets for the retail business.

Mind you, I am not against the idea of Santa.  But the real reason this whole holiday got started seems to be getting forgotten!

Nevermind, saw the OP's reply.

:thumbup1:

Edited by albeto.
  • Like 1

And cities taking down Nativity scenes which have been going up every year for longer than most people can remember.

Just because something's been going on a long time, that doesn't make it right. Tax money should not be going to promote religion. Nativity scenes belong on private property - unless, of course, you're willing to allow everybody to put up a display.

My state kept the nativity, but now we have festivus poles erected by the satanists or some such thing. Allow one, you have to allow all.

Gotta love the Satanic Temple. As near as anybody can tell, they're not really Satanists (which isn't really different from any other religion, btw) but probably atheists engaged in a huge piece of performance art with the goal of reducing religious influence in government. And gosh if they don't do it with style.

• Like 13

People take huge offense no matter what you do. 

This - and about more than just this topic.

I don't get offended about any of it.  Feel free to offer me any sort of holiday greeting and I'm ok. :coolgleamA:

When I'm talking with others I'll try to match their beliefs (or lack thereof) if I can and will offer Happy Holidays if I'm unsure.  I see no reason to do otherwise.

• Like 4

I never even think to wish anyone happy/merry anything.  But I guess I'm backwards like that.  I take my receipt and say, "Thank you."  If someone does say, "Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays," I am always slightly taken aback and say, "Oh!  You, too."

And I adore Christmas.  I just don't remember to use it as a greeting.

I'd be happy if no one wished anyone anything about any holiday ever!

• Like 2

I read somewhere that there are something like 29 holidays in December. To me, saying "Happy Holidays" is all-inclusive. I don't understand how that could possibly be offensive.

ETA: As my students were leaving from their final exams, I told them to "enjoy your holidays." I figured that could be taken as their holiday from school or as their particular winter holiday and New Year's, too. :D

Edited by DragonFaerie
  • Like 7

January 6th. Always January 6th. I know this not because we actually celebrated it (unless it fell on a Sunday and we went to Mass), but because when I was a kid we always left our tree up until the Epiphany. The closest weekend after the Epiphany is when we took everything down. That was the norm in my corner of NJ in the 1960's. I guess everyone wanted to make sure the Three Wise Men got a chance to see their decorations. :)

I wonder how much of this "War on Xmas" stuff on that particular network was inspired by Dominion Theology. I wonder what direct links, if any, exist here.

Probably not much because the presenter with the Irish surname was a tepid Catholic at best, until it fit his agenda to get more ratings by screaming about persecution. Dominionists likely picked and ran with it, but I'm not so sure they inspired it.

• Like 5

FTR, I don't think happy holidays is offensive.  

That said, I'm one of those who doesn't find any of the possible greetings offensive (holiday greetings, that is... then again, if, on a regular basis, you greeted me by saying 'hey, b**ch!' I'd probably just be used to that and shrug it off, too - I just see no point in getting offended in general.  :lol: :lol: :D )

But yeah, as far as happy holidays, I always thought it was weird when it suddenly became a thing.  I'd always said that because it included other holidays, too.  It wasn't anti-Christian of me, IMO.  But *whoooo knows* (said jokingly while rolling eyes and/or shrugging).  :)

I'm not Christian and it doesn't bother me if people say "Merry Christmas" to me at all. I will also take any other holiday greetings people wish to direct my way!

I am a bit curious to see what would happen if I wished everyone I met "Eid Mubarak" on our next holiday, but I'm nervous in today's climate. Maybe I should try it, though, "for science" of course.  ;)

I wouldn't care.  I would be like, thanks! ....though I would most likely have a blank grin because I have no idea what you'd be telling me.  But that's okay, too.  

*went to look it up*

Yeah, still wouldn't mind.  :)

Because the first time someone gets wished a happy Solstice and throws an antipagan fit the store will have more trouble than it wants. Better everyone say "happy holidays". Besides, we have Christmas, New Years, and Hanukkah all around the same time. Makes more sense to me to say Happy Holidays. 

People are so weird.  

Proper response: "Thanks!  You too!"

:D

• Like 4

We're Christian but my dds have actually complained about things here being Christian only. Everywhere we go we are wished a Merry Christmas and at oldest dds school choir performance there were several Christian songs sang and all others were only about Christmas (no other holidays of December included).

I've even felt odd when substitute teaching at the elementary schools because there is so much Christmas stuff going on in the rooms and all other holidays in December are ignored.

Edited by Joker

I agree that public buildings are not places for holiday displays of any kind.  The job is government is to protect people from the infringement of their rights by other people and to protect them from the infringement of their rights by the government. Government does this by upholding the US Constitution.  There is no right to put up holiday displays in government buildings.  People can put them up in private and in public places that they own like their businesses. 

I think there are personality and cultural factors that feed being easily offended. I think the pendulum is swinging from the extreme insensitivity in days gone by to the extreme hypersensitivity right now.  The book of Proverbs in the Old Testament warns us that a wise man overlooks an insult.  If you can't overlook an imaginary insult, like someone not wishing you happy whatever you celebrate,  imagine how ill equipped you are to obey that command when a real insult comes up. I think people with personalities prone to victimhood when there isn't really any have personal issues that need addressing by mental health professionals and those prone to false martyrdom have spiritual issues that need correcting by quality church leadership.

I agree that if someone told me, a Christian for whom Christmas has a large religious component, "Happy Hanuka" or "Happy Kwanzaa" or "Happy Ramadan" (in years when it falls in December) or "Happy Winter Solstice" or however those sentiments might be phrased, I would take it as a lovely kindness. Socially speaking, when someone offers you something kindly with good intentions, it's outrageously rude and inexcusable to respond with anything other than, "Thank you." That applies to compliments and gifts too. This should apply to any religious or tradition based nicety.  Anything less is childish petulance at best and provocative at worst.  Don't be a part of it. No one ever won anyone to Christ or reflected His love to humanity by scolding people for trying to be nice and polite.  Quite the opposite.  What exactly is the goal here, people? 

What do people think it says about them when they respond to niceties with rudeness?  "That person is really a great example of their faith the way they snapped at me for trying to be nice. " said no one ever. For years I said, "Merry Christmas" to people during December.  I don't anymore because I don't want myself and my God associated with people being nasty, pissy and political about it these days.  Sorry, fellow Christian who is posting about how you want people to share and like your "This Christian keeps the Christ in Christmas!", you bring reproach on the church with your combative attitude.  If you had just really wanted to wish people a merry Christmas out of sincerity for your fellow man and your God, you could've just posted, "Merry Christmas!" and been done with it.  Since you decided to turn it into some sort of statement about the culture or the media or some perception of persecution, I'll not risk associating with you.

And what if that extremely rare person meant it as an insult or an attack on Christianity?  Well, Jesus said to love our enemies.  He said repay evil with good.  So explain to me exactly how choosing to strike back  in a war on Christmas fits with His commands. 

• Like 15

I keep seeing ridiculous things on FB like "It is NOT 'Happy Holidays'! It's MERRY CHRISTMAS! Like if you agree."  It's stupid is what it is.

It sounds to me like they demand xmas to be the only holiday recognized this month. Surely there's another story to this.

• Like 1

My former neighbors complained loudly about "Happy Holidays" as opposed to "Merry Christmas".  But I could never understand why Christmas was over for them on 12/26 or 12/27.  It would seem that anyone so adamant about the celebration of Christmas would see it through to Epiphany.  Shrug.

Some people seem compelled to gripe about "other people".  Makes them feel better I guess to point out differences rather than similarities.  Nor do I understand that.

Jane (who enjoys celebrations--be of good cheer, y'all!!)

• Like 7

Who argues that saying "happy holidays" is offensive?

:huh:

People who insist it's Christmas being celebrated, not just "holidays". There was a heated discussion about in on a local facebook page recently.   :banghead:

I like to ask people if they think Bing Crosby and Perry Como (Still Alive! SCTV) were anti-Christmas. When they give me a puzzled look I remind them of the songs those two sang.  Happy Holiday (written by Irving Berlin so maybe he was anti-Christmas lol) was sung by der Bingle in the movie Holiday Inn and is now a classic Christmas song.. It's also often sung as a medley with the song, It's the Holiday Season. Perry Como sang There's no Place Like Home for the Holidays. Both songs are older than the current imaginary War on Christmas.

• Like 7

People who insist it's Christmas being celebrated, not just "holidays". There was a heated discussion about in on a local facebook page recently.   :banghead:

I like to ask people if they think Bing Crosby and Perry Como (Still Alive! SCTV) were anti-Christmas. When they give me a puzzled look I remind them of the songs those two sang.  Happy Holiday (written by Irving Berlin so maybe he was anti-Christmas lol) was sung by der Bingle in the movie Holiday Inn and is now a classic Christmas song.. It's also often sung as a medley with the song, It's the Holiday Season. Perry Como sang There's no Place Like Home for the Holidays. Both songs are older than the current imaginary War on Christmas.

"Der Bingle".  :lol:

I love the film Holiday Inn which is part of my Christmas Eve ritual. 

• Like 3

I have no sympathy at all for the "I am offended that my holiday has to include other holidays now and that makes me a victim" idea.  I mean really. Who cares if they name the party, or tree, or whatever else?  It won't hurt anyone.  It might make someone feel good.  Being generous is The Reason For The Season, right?  For goodness sake.

• Like 7

If employees wish Happy Holidays rather than Merry Christmas, does that seem anti-Christmas to you?  Is that in some way saying "stop Christmas or I hate Christmas" when it is only intended to include all holidays celebrated at this time including Christmas?

No snark here...

• Like 2

I'm so annoyed by the big controversy. It's gotten to where not a single retail worker has wished me Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or any other greeting this month. Why? Because everyone dumps on retail workers. They didn't ask to be on the front lines of the stupidest "war" ever. So they opt out and don't say anything. Better than giving offense.

I know, right? So ridiculous. My first memory of the controversy was surrounding target employees, but it is nothing new and always silly. Now people are afraid to say *anything*.

I don't feel the need to be wished a Merry or Happy anything by a stranger in a retail store, even if that "stranger" is someone I see frequently at one of my regular stores. I don't feel the need to be told to have a nice day either. It has no effect on me whatsoever. I want them to be polite, professional, and have a casual friendly attitude while doing their job to the best of their ability. Beyond that I don't see why I or anyone should expect more.

It doesn't make any sense to me why someone would be offended by any of the currently popular greetings, or by the lack of any of them. It IS a manufactured controversy.

I know a lot of people who are secular/atheist and none of them give two hoots if they are wished Merry Christmas. 

So the 'offence' and the 'war' didn't come from our side of the pond :)

Nope it did not. 

Although I admit I do not care for people wishing me a blessed day.  But I don't get upset either.  I just smile and say thanks and go on my merry way.

• Like 3

Christmas is not all about that for all people.  In fact a lot of the traditions are from Pagans. 

My line is that the Christians do not own Christmas. 

And this is the sort of attitude I think the OP was questioning. 

• Like 6

I know a lot of people who are secular/atheist and none of them give two hoots if they are wished Merry Christmas. 

So the 'offence' and the 'war' didn't come from our side of the pond :)

I have three 'Merry Christmas' cards hanging on my wall from atheist relatives.  They obviously don't have a problem with wishing, or being wished, a Merry Christmas.  I know that doesn't prove anything, but in my tiny world it just isn't a big deal.

Not only that, they will be at the family sing along singing Christmas songs and hymns, not because they believe any of it, but because they love to sing.

• Like 7

When you think about it, some of the most beautiful music ever written was written for religious purposes.  Bach's B Minor Mass comes to mind.  I cannot imagine anyone's religious convictions (or lack thereof) preventing a listener from enjoying it.  On the other hand, one of my favorite pieces of seasonal music is A Ceremony of Carols by Benjamin Britten who I believe was an agnostic.  That did not prevent him from capturing something spiritually lovely.

To the best of my knowledge, no one is checking the religious identification of composers or musicians during the holiday season! 

I think part of the problem is that some people have become too literal.  And too determined to draw lines in the sand.

• Like 11