Menu

Would you die for what you believe?

A recent thread made me wonder how much more important "tolerance" is to "conviction." Would you die for a belief like freedom of speech, your G/god, your children, or some aspect of truth, like the defense of an innocent and defenseless person? Could you be a martyr?

And a related question: do you hold martyrs in high or low regard? Is it foolish to throw away one's life merely to uphold some belief system?

Would you die for a belief like freedom of speech, your G/god, your children, or some aspect of truth, like the defense of an innocent and defenseless person?
I don't think dying in the act of protecting your children is in the same category as dying for freedom of speech.

Some things, yes...other things, no.

For my faith, absolutely. If it came down to denying my faith or my life, you might as well pull the trigger...because my faith is part of who I am and it isn't going anywhere. Going to my Creator is less of an issue to me than denying Him.

Edited by mommaduck

I don't think the answer is easy. I'm a Christian and I have four children. If someone were to put a gun to my head and asked me to renounce Christ, well guess what? I just might. I might say it with my lips, but not mean it. Who knows? God hasn't given me the grace for that moment so I can't say with complete certainty I would.

Same with my kids. I could say I'd die for my kids, but what if saving my kids meant more people died as a result? Then what would I do? I just don't think that there's ever a clear-cut answer to the question UNTIL you're in the situation. Then God would give me the wisdom and grace to do what He wanted.

One more thing about dying for my faith and my reasoning behind it. If Peter actually WALKED with Jesus and renounced Christ on three separate occasions, then who am I to think that I can be better than that, kwim? It *sounds* easy to write it, but here's a man who walk, ate, slept, and learned under the Lord himself and turned his back as quick as all that.

Of course I don't really know what I would do in a situation I have never been in. But it doesn't seem nearly as brave to say, "I would die for Christ" as it does to say, "I would suffer for Christ" and it seems another thing altogether to say, "I would be willing to watch my children suffer in agony for Christ."

I have no idea, honestly, if I could do that.

I'd certainly die for my children. In most of the other cases "it would depend". I believe in "living to fight another day."

I think if I thought that living might forward my ideal more than dying would, I would probably choose to live. I believe that very few things are black and white.

Especially when I view history and I see how often conquerers are changed by the people they conquered and rule over, I would probably stay alive, but be active in any resistance movement that might come along....(or start my own. I'm pretty devious).

Honestly, somethings I think that martyrs are very selfish. Especially parents who allowed themselves to be martyred for their faith or beliefs and left spouses and children to suffer after them. That, to me, is the essence of selfishness. Especially since if one parent teaches his children, and then they teach theirs and so on and so on, you don't only have one person anymore - you have a whole army on your side.

A recent thread made me wonder how much more important "tolerance" is to "conviction." Would you die for a belief like freedom of speech, your G/god, your children, or some aspect of truth, like the defense of an innocent and defenseless person? Could you be a martyr?

And a related question: do you hold martyrs in high or low regard? Is it foolish to throw away one's life merely to uphold some belief system?

I wouldn't die for anything until I lost the fight.

I would do whatever it took to defend what I love.

I love my kids, I love my country, my constitution,etc.

I love the green earth and the wet ocean and the sun and the soil that grow my food.

Not a martyr, a warrior.

He was a changed man after Jesus rose from the dead. The apostles didn't really understand what was going on until the scriptures were fulfilled. Afterward, Peter and most of the other apostles died willingly for Him.

You're right, though, that the decision might not always be cut and dried. There's a good book by Shusaku Endo, called Silence, that deals with this very thing.

But then there are the saints Perpetua and Felicity, who died for their faith in the third century when their children were really small. Their story is really something.

One more thing about dying for my faith and my reasoning behind it. If Peter actually WALKED with Jesus and renounced Christ on three separate occasions, then who am I to think that I can be better than that, kwim? It *sounds* easy to write it, but here's a man who walk, ate, slept, and learned under the Lord himself and turned his back as quick as all that.

Well. Maybe you ARE better than that?

How do you treat your friends?

I need to refresh my memory of the new testament.

But, just based on what you're telling me, Peter doesn't sound like such a good friend.

I would go through ANY amount of torture, including death, in order to do what is right by God. I also would do so for my children/husband if that were a possibility. If it comes between my children/husband and God, I would side with God; He can make right any situation with my children/husband. And I don't say that lightly. But the scriptures are clear on these matters. These things have happened and they will happen again before the end. We are ready.

I have a general respect people who do the right thing for the right reasons. I believe there are very few "right things" or "right reasons" though.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Well. Maybe you ARE better than that?

How do you treat your friends?

I need to refresh my memory of the new testament.

But, just based on what you're telling me, Peter doesn't sound like such a good friend.

Sometimes people just need to be patient. We're rarely any of us perfectly good friends all the time, you know?

:thankful for my patient friends who saw the good amidst the crazy and imperfect:

I've you hit me hard enough, I'll say what you want me to say.

I've been in that situation before.

It's easy to type something. It's not easy when you are in agony.

I think it depends on the person and how real the situation is to them.

I was in a situation (not nearly as important as my relationship with God and His Son)

and did just fine standing up for myself and my belief in the face of

mistreatment. I wouldn't want to do it again, but I would.

But if it weren't something I believed in? I would find a way to get out

without compromising myself. That might be a bit tough depending on the

situation.

But I do believe there are some situations you just lose an ear

or a couple fingers or a leg or your life. Easier to type no doubt,

but definitely a must in a few situations.

He was a changed man after Jesus rose from the dead. The apostles didn't really understand what was going on until the scriptures were fulfilled. Afterward, Peter and most of the other apostles died willingly for Him.

I just don't buy that. We have to take Scripture for what it says, and it says that Jesus warned him he'd do it and he did it on three separate occasions. It doesn't mean that *later* he wouldn't die for Jesus, but there was a point in his walk with God when he would deny him....and so, I don't think that the OP's question can so easily be answered with a resounding yes (for me, anyway).

When I first came to faith 20+ years ago this question haunted me. I would like to say yes, but until the time comes I just don't know. My guess is, IRT denying God that His grace would be sufficient when/if the time came. I don't think the grace is there until it is necessary. Almost a kind of moot point.

As to children, I once fell down a flight of stairs with dd then 2. Instinctively I did what was necessary to protect her. Dd, no injuries. Me, broken tail bone(boy that hurt for years) and bruises all over. I have put my kids behind me dealing with wild looking dogs so I am assuming I would probably die for them if necessary. Still won't know until/if that moment ever comes.

I also believe in defending rights such as free speech/religion etc. I don't really see myself dying for it, but if another Nazi type situation occurred I could see myself in a Corrie Ten Boom kind of scenario which would certainly put me at risk for death. Still, none of these scenarios are happening so I don't know for sure.

How's that for convoluted.:001_smile:

It does depend on the person. There have been many people throughout history that have died rather than deny their faith...within various faiths. My husband has had a gun pointed at him, because of his faith. He told the guy straight out that he was not scared of that gun and if the guy was going to shoot, then do so, he's just sending him home! The guy put the gun away.

Peter really did let Jesus down. And Jesus knew he would. He told him he would, and he loved him anyway. He knew Peter inside and out, identified what Peter's gift was, and said he would build his church on Peter. Peter had a very successful ministry, which Jesus also knew he would.

So to me, the story is really beautiful because Peter was weak but Jesus was strong, and if a relationship with Christ depended on us being worthy, it wouldn't happen. Peter didn't deserve Christ's trust and love, but he got it any way. It's a beautiful picture for everyone who has ever failed miserably.

Edited by Danestress

I will be honest, it would be hard.

I would die in place of or for my children in a heartbeat. But when I think of dying rather than go against Jesus/God in word only, I am not sure. I mean, I think I could bring myself to say whatever I needed to say to live in order to continue to care for my children...because God knows my heart. Words are just words.

If it came to being, in some way, completely unable to worship Christ (even in private), then I am not sure that I would want to live in that kind of world anyway (one that took away even my most personal freedoms).

ETA: It so not something I can easily type and would not do in the case of my children. If I could give MY life to save theirs, I would. No question. I would not allow my children to be killed or harmed if I can stop it...and if I die trying, then so be it. I have lived some of my life. My kids deserve to live theirs. There is just no doubt in my mind. I pray it never comes to that decision...but if it ever does, I know, without a doubt what I would do.

Edited by Tree House Academy

I am reminded of Peter who assured Jesus he would never deny him -- that he would die for him -- and he proved to fall short.

I would like to say I would -- I mean, I "feel" like I would die for certain things -- my confession of faith, my children, my husband, etc. -- but I really cannot boast of such ability. In truth, I have no way of knowing what I might do.

Peter really did let Jesus down. And Jesus knew he would. He told him he would, and he loved him anyway. He knew Peter inside and out, identified what Peter's gift was, and said he would build his church on Peter. Peter had a very successful ministry, which Jesus also knew he would.

So to me, the story is really beautiful because Peter was weak but Jesus was strong, and if a relationship with Christ depended on us being worthy, it wouldn't happen. Peter didn't deserve Christ's trust and love, but he got it any way. It's a beautiful picture for everyone who has ever failed miserably.

Amen. :)

Wow! Excellent question!

I would gladly lay down my life for my children or an innocent. But I think perhaps it's my own character flaw that makes me not really have super strong convictions, like religion. I think beliefs like freedom of speech, which I am passionate about, would be a borderline issue for me. I would work within a system and try to affect change before it came to a life on the line situation.

JMHO. I tend to view some martyrs in high regard and others in low. It really depends on the circumstances and POV, I guess. Joan of Arc? Highly regarded martyr. As is Ghandi. Current religious martyrs? Not so much. No strict reasoning on that one, just a gut feeling.

In my own human effort, knowing how fearful I can be, it would be hard to say yes. But by God's grace, I would lay down my life if forced to deny Christ, or for His purposes. I know that I know that He would have to be the one to give me the courage at that moment.

Teresa

Would you die for a belief like freedom of speech, your G/god, your children, or some aspect of truth, like the defense of an innocent and defenseless person? Could you be a martyr?

Not if I could help it. Unfortunately death is not an uncommon side effect of fighting people who have bullets.

I'm not big on martyrdom. I tend to think we're more useful alive.

Rosie

Some things, yes...other things, no.

For my faith, absolutely. If it came down to denying my faith or my life, you might as well pull the trigger...because my faith is part of who I am and it isn't going anywhere. Going to my Creator is less of an issue to me than denying Him.

:iagree:

He didn't understand the full implication of WHO Jesus was. Scripture says that Jesus had to explain it to him. And there is an undeniable change in Peter and his defense of his Lord after the resurrection. Before the resurrection he's a bumbling but well intentioned fool. After the resurrection he is decisive, eloquent and single-minded (see Acts, especially).

I think I need more physical training in fasting and abstinence to strengthen myself for painful martyrdom so I will be ready if I'm put in that situation. I think the time is coming when Christians will have to suffer for what they believe. I remind my boys of this periodically too.

I appreciate the replies. I wonder how they would differ from 100, 200, 500 years ago.

I would die before renouncing my faith. By that I mean true, inward renunciation. I'd have no problem with lying through my teeth to an enemy who meant me harm for what I believed, or to protect my children, any more than I'd have a problem with using violence to defend myself and my family.

I would die rather than break my sacred oaths. These include my marriage oath, the oath of service I made when I joined the military (though that one has been discharged), private oaths I have made to my Gods, etc. My word given in good faith is sacred. That good faith does not extend to enemies who would do me ill.

Well, no I wouldn't die for atheism, I don't suppose anyone would. What would be the point? I would probably throw myself in front of my kids to protect them, but I've never had to do it and hope I never do. I have been to protests where I thought there might be teargas, but that's the extent of my physical courage.

I would gladly die for my children. My husband, too. Martyrdom? I think martyrs do more for a cause by inciting the human passion of followers than they gain for themselves - meaning salvation. Personally I think humans can do more for 'God' alive than dead. I can't believe in a God who needs people dying for him.

Janet

I would not die for my faith because I don't feel the need to make a public statement about the strength of my convictions, and I don't believe that dying for the idea of my faith would accomplish any good. I believe what I believe regardless of what happens.

At the risk of sounding to self-important, I think that the work I have to do in this life, the responsibilities I have taken up toward the beings in my life, are more likely to yield a fruitful result if I carry them out than if I die for an idea.

I don't think dying in the act of protecting someone is in the same league as dying for an idea.

I don't have a positive or negative opinion of martyrs, but for myself I believe that my actions while alive will be more meaningful than a martyred death.

Tara

If the situation was Deny Christ or Die...I would die.

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! (Phil. 1:21-22)

I would also die for my children, loved ones, friends, etc. if they were in danger and the only way I could keep them safe was to give my life for them. What else would I do? Watch them die and do nothing?

Until one is actually in the situation, one does not know how strong the will to survive is.

You are so very right about this. I have looked death in the face twice and I believe that I managed to stay alive out of shear will power alone. I honestly believe that I have the will power to live through just about anything. I chose to and continue to choose to live because I know that the people in my life need me and I don't know that they could live without me.

However, sometimes dying is the easier of the two choices. It is living and suffering that are hard. I am not afraid to die but the thought of living a very long pain filled life is scares the heck out of me. Should a day come when I am no longer needed, then I am sure that I won't feel compelled to endure the pain any longer than I have to. The will power to continue living just won't be there anymore.

As to the OP, I would easily die to save/protect my husband, my children and my brother. There are a few other causes that I feel strongly enough about that I would die for them but not at the expense of the people above. They are my priority and everything else is judged in relation to that.