Menu

It is NOT okay to bring a hacking, runny nosed child to another person's home...

Not okay.:glare:

Yes, my children are exposed to germs. I go to grocery stores and other gatherings. But intentionally bringing a sick child to my house is not okay. I think it is rude. You do not know what type of events will be ruined because of this. I may have plans...I may have had a Make-A-Wish event to attend for my immune challenged neighbor and now I won't be able to go. And she doesn't have much time left. And just because one person goes out with their sick child it doesn't mean I feel comfortable taking a sick child out in public...therefore, you have quarantined me in my home.

There, I've said it. It is only my opinion. I clearly recognize from a recent post I made that not everyone feels this way. I have been mulling over the alternate positions since then. But at THIS moment, as I watch my two youngest starting to decline, and the certain sleep interruptions in my future are visualized, I am convinced it is NOT okay.

Jo

I agree. I actually had a hsing friend coming over last week, but we were on the tail end of colds so I emailed her to tell her about it and see if she wanted to postpone until this week and she did. My kids did not have a temp and were acting normal, but had the sniffles and coughs and it seems polite to just inform people of that and let them decide if they want to chance catching it.

Yes, my children are exposed to germs. I go to grocery stores and other gatherings. But intentionally bringing a sick child to my house is not okay. I think it is rude. You do not know what type of events will be ruined because of this. I may have plans...I may have had a Make-A-Wish event to attend for my immune challenged neighbor and now I won't be able to go. And she doesn't have much time left. And just because one person goes out with their sick child it doesn't mean I feel comfortable taking a sick child out in public...therefore, you have quarantined me in my home.

There, I've said it. It is only my opinion. I clearly recognize from a recent post I made that not everyone feels this way. I have been mulling over the alternate positions since then. But at THIS moment, as I watch my two youngest starting to decline, and the certain sleep interruptions in my future are visualized, I am convinced it is NOT okay.

Jo

(((Battlemaiden))), I could not agree with you more. It is the epitome of inconsiderate to knowingly bring a sick child into someone's home. Someone did this to me right before we left for vacation, and my older dd, who was just a baby then, was sick almost the whole time.

What on earth is *wrong* with people???????

I could not agree with you more. It is the epitome of inconsiderate to knowingly bring a sick child into someone's home. Someone did this to me right before we left for vacation, and my older dd, who was just a baby then, was sick almost the whole time.

What on earth is *wrong* with people???????

:iagree: It's the most ridiculous thing anyone can do. Why on earth would anyone intentionally want to make other children/people sick? So silly :tongue_smilie:!

Attitudes about this have changed a lot in our culture as a whole.

I think this has a lot to do with the double income family + the rise of antibiotics. Prior to that, even simple colds were treated with more respect because a)they could turn into something more serious for which there was no treatment and b)there was someone at home.

I've been appalled at the phlegmy coughs and green runny noses which are out and about these days. We were in the library last week after public school let out and there were a couple kids there working on their homework who really should have been home. You could hear them hacking and snorfling clear across the stacks.

But there's probably nobody home.

And when keeping a child home from school also means one parent missing work, then the push is on to just say 'it's just a cold; he's getting better; he's not feverish' and minimize it.

FWIW, I'm with you. If you're sick, or if your child is sick, stay home, unless you discuss it in advance and the people involved agree it's ok.

:iagree:

I'm right there with you. Depending on the circumstances, if I'm told before hand, there's a good chance I'd keep the date. However, I would like to be the one making that choice from my family.

I already shared in a recent thread how an unconsiderate mom indirectly (her son to my middle son to my youngest) put my then newborn in the hospital for 8 days fighting for his life. Sometimes I wish we could go back to those people and say, "This is what your unconsiderate decision did. Please consider others in the future"...but in a much less nice way.

Jo

Ugh. That is just crummy. Hope you can confine it as much as possible, and hope it moves quickly away from you and yours.

It's just basic consideration to let others know of your contagious situation. With so many folks with fragile immune systems, etc., it seems like it would be a given. We've had friends over the years who have battled cancer and thus have periods of very low tolerance for illness, and friends who were very susceptible to *average* things like strep throat or pinkeye.

:grouphug::grouphug:

:iagree:I do agree about the sick kids. The ones I know have a cold, virus, runny noses due to a cold, etc. stay home.

However, I do have one kiddo who looks like he's got a cold--snotty nose--from January til spring each winter. The first year this happened we were home all the time. I mentioned it to his doctor wondering why his "cold" was all season long. No one else in the family ever caught it. I found out it's allergies. Most likely to dust mites.

We have warned our co-op friends and anyone else we see regularily about this issue.

Just another thought.

I am one who also finds it exceptionally rude. I called a friend last week, having canceled our piano lesson, to let her decide whether to drop her kids off here because one of mine had a crazy running nose. It's just courteous.

I think the giant, never ending canisters of bleach wipes provided by grocery stores is telling regarding how disgusting and rude we are, hacking and snotting all over carts and whatnot. Unfortunately, the hacking snotters also seem to like to read labels and feel produce. :ack2:

I found out it's allergies. Most likely to dust mites.

Um, don't you have dust mites all year round? :001_huh:

I agree with you, Jo. Taking a sick child into someone's home is just rude. We attended my nephew's birthday party this weekend, and within one hour of returning home, my dd3 developed a fever. I didn't know she was sick before that, but I still felt awful that she might have gotten him sick. :(

some of our extended family members must think it's okay if it's all in the family... we've made arrangements to get together only to meet hacking, snotty kids at the door. Or, at other times (more than once, go figure), after everyone has arrived and the kids are off playing throughout the house, the announcement that one or more of the cousins has strep (but it's okay since they went to the doc that morning and know what it is....:001_huh:).

I 100% agree. Monday I was out and I saw this lady from my sons soccer team. I had just dropped him off at an indoor practice, where her son was also. She said she was so happy it was soccer night because her son was coughing and feverish for the last 2 days and she couldn't wait to get him out of the house. I was so steamed, I couldn't even respond. My guy is sniffling and coughing and I am ticked. This was a public place and not my home and I was mad. I would be whistling like a kettle if she came over with him:glare:

Edited by Pongo

Equally as annoying to me is the martyr working at the bank, grocery store, etc who looks and sounds like death bragging about he/she feels like death but "is taking Dayquil so he/she can be at work". Meanwhile, they are counting my change or handing my merchandise to me with their germ infested hands. You aren't my hero because you're braving your horrible cold so you be there today and infest me and mine! I know the whole sick day/sick pay thing can be wretched in some businesses but it's not MY fault! That makes me SO mad! I'm not impressed even though I swear they are saying it as if I should be.

Both of my kids have been sick for several days and I have been absolutely confined to my home as we wait it out. We have missed church, 2 piano lessons, a karate lesson, a homeschool event, a birthday party and I've missed work. But I will NOT knowingly expose others to my sick children. It is not only rude but dangerous. There are people all over with compromised immune systems and you never know when YOUR poor choice could make someone else seriously ill.

Yes, the flu is not something to be messed with these days--for anyone.

An aunt of mine died last week right after being visited by someone who was sick. She had cancer, and had just had a chemo treatment. This was not her first go-round with cancer and everyone knew the drill.

Darla

A friend of mine brought over her sick kid after just having left the pediatrician's office because his cough was so bad. I was shocked when I pulled into my driveway and saw that she was there, and my husband had let her in. Her sick kid had already been playing with my kids for 1/2 hour by the time I got there. I was angry with DH for letting her in and at her for "stopping by" as she put it. Then she tried to convince me to go to lunch with her while leaving all the kids with DH. I said no. The she tried to get me to go to lunch with her and her sick kid. I said no.

Did I mention that I was very very pg at that point, and ended up having my baby just two days later? Did I also mention that *I* ended up with that cough just days after my baby was born? Did I mention that a bad cough while healing from stitches in a certain area is not fun? Did I mention that being sleep deprived from having a newborn *and* a cough is not fun either?

Yeah, I'm bitter. :mad:

...or to wrestling practice, wrestling tournaments, judo, gymnastics, etc...

My kids catch anything anyone brings with them to their activities. I just love hearing a father next to me bragging that his kid was home all day from school because he was sick and vomiting as said kid is drilling with my ds who will be vomiting in another 2-4 days...Thank you very much!!!:banghead::banghead:

I agree that a sick person should not go to someone else's home. We would never do that. However, I will not cease a normal life because of a cold, allergies, or even bronchitis in our family. You can't expect someone to be housebound "just in case". I definitely see that I'm on the the other side of the sickness spectrum on this topic.

You wouldn't believe how many parents would bring kids in who could barely stand up, flushed with fever and glassy-eyed, just so they could get their "me" time in.

I worked there when my kids were little because that was one of the few jobs I could have and bring them with me. I was pregnant with my second child when a mom dropped off her little boy. He had some splotches on his face. When his mom left I lifted up the shirt on his back and he was covered in chicken pox. I was so livid I was shaking. His mom was upset that I made her come get him. Another dad brought his son in who was throwing up and crying. He was another idiot parent who tried to argue with me that I needed to let the kid stay. I shouldn't be amazed at how selfish people can be, but there's always one more story to top the last one.

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE!!!

I have never taken my kids out knowing that they were sick to expose others, but I did used to let others come over as long as nothing was coming out the top or bottom (noses were fine). Now with an immune compromised son (leukemia) even 'a little cold' can be deadly, and I should not have to keep my son homebound because other people cannot keep their germs to themselves. It is not fair to him. I have always lived by the 'what if that was your child' motto, and I have been known to ask others that when they 'don't get it'.

I have personally known too many mom's whose children have contacted life threatening RSV as babies, whooping cough at all ages, pneumonia and other serious secondary infections over the years and sorry, but it's never "just a cold" to me.

I'm very sorry you're paying for someone else's thoughtlessness. :grouphug:

I agree that a sick person should not go to someone else's home. We would never do that. However, I will not cease a normal life because of a cold, allergies, or even bronchitis in our family. You can't expect someone to be housebound "just in case". I definitely see that I'm on the the other side of the sickness spectrum on this topic.

When I have a sick child, I skip playdates, classes, church and church nursery, and visits to others homes of any sort, ESPECIALLY the elderly and moms of newborns. ;)

But for a kid with a drippy nose and no fever or vomiting, sorry, no, we can't stay in our home for two weeks (or more!) until no person in the house no longer has a slight cough or a drippy nose. We do have to get to the grocery store and run errands. I will use wipes, wash hands, carry tissues, and minimize the public exposure. But it is impossible to completely stay at home for every little cold. And I really don't believe that most people who have posted on this thread realistically do this, either. :confused:

And I really don't believe that most people who have posted on this thread realistically do this, either.

I have a sore throat and had to go grocery shopping just today. I did leave the kids home (no babies here). We still have to have food and I don't think most people have someone willing to do their shopping for them.

I would think people expect public places to be germy. After all, you're contagious before you even feel ill aren't you?

I don't go optional places though or into someone's home. I do also warn my mother when one of us is sick (She's in her 70's.).

I sent one guest home before they even closed the front door. I did it very politely but very firmly. I told the mother, "I'm so sorry. I didn't know that "x" was sick today. Please call me when he is well and we'll reschedule." She was a bit taken back but we are still friends - and now she lets me know if someone is sick.

Wow. I am so impressed. Good for you. We all need to do this. And it would only have to happen once, I bet.

I would never bring my sick children to someone's house without telling them they are sick. I always call, explain that one of the kids is sick, and if they are feeling good enough to play or be out and about I will let the person we are visiting decide if he/she wants us at their house or not. I have friends on both ends of the spectrum: some want to wait until the cold has completely run its course, others don't cancel playdates unless someone is vomiting or has a fever. But I agree that going to visit someone and inflicting sick children on them without giving them a choice is just plain rude.

The last time my cousin came to stay they brought kids that were on cold medicine and were throwing up!! What?! We all got it and were sick for several weeks after our home was destroyed by their 2 well and unsupervised kids. Our household still has not recovered from their visit and this was 3 months ago. They are not welcome to stay next time.

I am so sorry that this happened to you. :(

Sometimes my friend will say so and so has a runny nose or a cough and I will choose to not care in the interest of spending precious time with my friend.

But she would always warn me and give me the option of not having them over.

People have been so thoughtless about it at our church nursery that we had to put an announcement in the bulletin about under what circumstances you can not bring a child to mingle with others! One Mom's kid was throwing up in the bathroom at Sunday School and she STILL brought her to Awana that night!

I have held and rocked small babies with green snot pouring out of their noses with my skin crawling to sterilize!!!

I do not understand how anyone can bring a sick kid out and about especially near other kids. It isn't ok. It just isn't.

And I really don't believe that most people who have posted on this thread realistically do this, either. :confused:

I actually do keep my kids home if they are contagious in any way, if they have a fever, vomiting, coughing, green snot coming out their nose, etc. My dh or I will stay home with them and the other runs the errands. Now, of course, we have both been "exposed" to the germs of our children but neither of us are ill and we are careful. But to bring sick kids around other kids? That's just rude and inconsiderate.

Wow...everyone should read that.

I hope Darcy doesn't mind that I am posting this link, but I think it was so well said. It should make us all think twice about how we handle this sort of thing.

It's Just a Cold

I'm one who does stay home or switches off with dh. I do it for my kids and the the rest of my city, church, classes and even the other Walmart or Target shoppers.

And JO....I do warn my friends NOT to come when they are sick or I'll be mad because of the complications. Many just never thought about it, but are fine with my house policy of no sickies and you better warn me first or you'll need to pray for me. :grouphug:

I actually do keep my kids home if they are contagious in any way, if they have a fever, vomiting, coughing, green snot coming out their nose, etc. My dh or I will stay home with them and the other runs the errands. Now, of course, we have both been "exposed" to the germs of our children but neither of us are ill and we are careful. But to bring sick kids around other kids? That's just rude and inconsiderate.

We do too. :iagree:

Likewise, if a friend asks if she and the kids can stop by to visit for awhile this afternoon, TELL HER that your dd was running a fever yesterday and still seems under the weather with a runny nose and lack of energy. Don't wait until 30 minutes into the visit to mention it, after your dd has breathed all over her dc as they huddle together playing DS. Infecting people who come to your home is just as bad as infecting them in theirs.

But it is impossible to completely stay at home for every little cold. And I really don't believe that most people who have posted on this thread realistically do this, either. :confused:

The kids and I all have colds right now - and while we haven't been toddling off to visit friends and share our germs closeup, we *have* been running errands in preparation for our move this weekend (new rental house), getting groceries, etc. These things still need to be done - and sometimes, the kids need to come. Dd12 can babysit her brother occasionally, but it depends on what sort of day he is having (special needs), where I'm going, how long I will be, etc.

I would not send a kid with a cold to church group or over to a friend's house (unless the parents didn't care about the cold) or such, but if we tried to quarrantine ourselves until all the cold germs were gone from every one of us, we'd be locked up in the house for weeks. :001_huh:

I think there's a balance, y'know?

If I have to go out on errands while sick or is my sick children come with me, I take some sensible precautions for the sake of others. I use those disinfecting wipes on the handles of the shopping cart before I use it - and after I'm done. I take along tissues and a small bottle of hand-sanitizer. And we use it. We are not in prolonged contact with individual people in those situations and we do try to not infect them with germs from our hands.

While I totally agree that folks should not take their sick kids anywhere where they can infect others, I did want to respond to a post about a sick bank employee. I agree that you don't really want the exposure, but sometimes the employee has no choice. My son works for Best Buy and, at least in our store, they really are not allowed routine sickness unless they physically cannot stand up. My son, as well as many other employees, has had to run into the restroom to vomit and then return to the sales floor. He's had high temps, no voice, etc. and is still warned that he cannot call in sick--although I never can figure out how others can do so as my son often is called to come in on his day off or early to cover for some other sick soul.

I suspect that the sick bank employee on Dayquil didn't necessarily voluntarily come in, but was trying to keep going in spite of things.

So while we can "condemn" parents for rudely exposing us to their sick kids, we probably should be a little more compassionate to sick employees. Probably most of them are not so much martyrs as victims of their employers.

Linda

The kids and I all have colds right now - and while we haven't been toddling off to visit friends and share our germs closeup, we *have* been running errands in preparation for our move this weekend (new rental house), getting groceries, etc. These things still need to be done - and sometimes, the kids need to come. Dd12 can babysit her brother occasionally, but it depends on what sort of day he is having (special needs), where I'm going, how long I will be, etc.

I would not send a kid with a cold to church group or over to a friend's house (unless the parents didn't care about the cold) or such, but if we tried to quarrantine ourselves until all the cold germs were gone from every one of us, we'd be locked up in the house for weeks. :001_huh:

I think there's a balance, y'know?

I completely agree with you. I do use hand sanitizer, wash my hands frequently, etc. when I am in public in general, and I have my children do the same. This is as much to protect US from the germs that are out there, as it is to keep from spreading any. I take responsibility for my own health, and the health of my children by trying to prevent illness, and by not assuming that a shopping cart in a a public store is a safe and germ free area for my child to touch. There are shopping cart covers, I've used them when my children were small enough to ride in them. It's easy to blame 'sick people' for 'spreading their germs', but it's also YOUR responsibility to wash your hands!!!!!!!!!! i do realize some pathogens are in the air, but hand washing REALLY makes a big difference. And don't let small children with compromised immunity touch such things in public without squirting some hand sanitizer on their hands.

Now, I agree it is terribly rude to go to someone's home with a sick child, and I would not do that (even with 'just a cold'). I think we all need to take more personal responisbility on BOTH sides though, protect yourself in public and don't expect other people who need to be out in the world to drop off hte face of the earth until they have absolutely no symptoms (and sometimes people are still contagious for days after symptoms are gone).

Some people do not HAVE a babysitter, some people are single parents or have deployed husbands but they STILL need food and sometimes meds when they are sick or they have a sick child. It'd be better to just assume that the cashier is sick or spreading something she's been exposed to that day/week, and use hand sanitizer whether she is hacking and coughing or not. If you're really germophobic wear a mask, to avoid inhaling pathogens. But take responsibility and stop blaming other people who have their own circumstances and individual needs.

:grouphug:

While I totally agree that folks should not take their sick kids anywhere where they can infect others' date=' I did want to respond to a post about a sick bank employee. I agree that you don't really want the exposure, but sometimes the employee has no choice. My son works for Best Buy and, at least in our store, they really are not allowed routine sickness unless they physically cannot stand up. My son, as well as many other employees, has had to run into the restroom to vomit and then return to the sales floor. He's had high temps, no voice, etc. and is still warned that he cannot call in sick--although I never can figure out how others can do so as my son often is called to come in on his day off or early to cover for some other sick soul.

I suspect that the sick bank employee on Dayquil didn't necessarily voluntarily come in, but was trying to keep going in spite of things.

So while we can "condemn" parents for rudely exposing us to their sick kids, we probably should be a little more compassionate to sick employees. Probably most of them are not so much martyrs as victims of their employers.

Linda[/quote']:iagree:I had to fire someone for taking too many sick days. That many in a certain time= termination. It was in the employee handbook and I was told I had to enforce it. :(

Kid's in school is the same way. DD was sick constantly her K year and we got threatening letters that she could not miss any more. So... she transferred, to our school. And was sick a lot less often. :D

I have personally known too many mom's whose children have contacted life threatening RSV as babies, whooping cough at all ages, pneumonia and other serious secondary infections over the years and sorry, but it's never "just a cold" to me.

I'm very sorry you're paying for someone else's thoughtlessness. :grouphug:

My dd at 5 months caught RSV from a child who attended her brothers' birthday party with her nose running off her face and parents who never even thought to give her a tissue much less keep her home. Many illnesses, asthma, nebulizer treatments nearly every month, and another bought of RSV at 18 months with hospitalization for pneumonia, were the result.

You never know if a cold is just a cold. RSV in adults and older children is just a cold with a very runny nose but in infants can be deadly.

Probably most of them are not so much martyrs as victims of their employers.

When I see sick employees I complain to the management. I tell them that' date=' first of all, I don't appreciate being exposed to illness and, second of all, it's unkind to force sick people to work. I tell them that I take my business elsewhere if I routinely run into sick employees at a certain establishment. If more people did this, employers might rethink their policies.

I also think it's up to employees to take a stand, too. Call your boss and say, "I am vomiting. I will not be coming in. I am too sick to work, and it's not responsible to expose all my customers to this." Get a doctor's note if necessary. I worked for a social service agency that had a limit on the number of sick days before it negatively affected your evaluation. I was [i']hospitalized[/i] and got dinged on my evaluation for taking too many days off. It cost me a merit raise. I made a written complaint and the negative points were taken off my evaluation and I got my raise.

Tara

When I see sick employees I complain to the management. I tell them that, first of all, I don't appreciate being exposed to illness and, second of all, it's unkind to force sick people to work. I tell them that I take my business elsewhere if I routinely run into sick employees at a certain establishment. If more people did this, employers might rethink their policies.

I also think it's up to employees to take a stand, too. Call your boss and say, "I am vomiting. I will not be coming in. I am too sick to work, and it's not responsible to expose all my customers to this." Get a doctor's note if necessary. I worked for a social service agency that had a limit on the number of sick days before it negatively affected your evaluation. I was hospitalized and got dinged on my evaluation for taking too many days off. It cost me a merit raise. I made a written complaint and the negative points were taken off my evaluation and I got my raise.

Tara

I'm glad that you were able to get your negative points removed and get your raise - sometimes, protesting/complaining/etc works. :)

Other times, though, the person gets fired over it. It's not right, but it happens, unfortunately.

If you're really germophobic wear a mask, to avoid inhaling pathogens. But take responsibility and stop blaming other people who have their own circumstances and individual needs.

:grouphug:

This week my 4yo was running a fever of 104 degrees, had the flu, was coughing, and was very contagious. To take him around others knowing I would expose them to this is just WRONG. And to ask others to show me the same consideration does not make me a germaphobe or one who does not consider other people's circumstances. In addition, I would not take my son out this week even to run a quick errand because he is TOO SICK to leave the house. It is not just about consideration of others, it is also consideration for my sick child.