Menu

Curiousity...Would you pay someone to homeschool your kids???

I have a friend who has a masters in Education and she is thinking of trying to find work as a "home teacher" - that is, she wants to make herself available to families who may desire to homeschool their kids but can not afford not to work, etc. Do you think this is something that would really "go over?" I mean, part of the reason I homeschool is to be with my kids all day and teach them. However, my former pastor's wife wanted to homeschool their son and could not quit working, so she hired a former teacher to homeschool her son. It worked out becautifully.

So, do you think my friend is on to something? If so, how could she "market" herself? I am totally clueless as this is not something I would personally do...so I thought I would ask the hive.

Thanks in advance!

If I could maintain control over curriculum, and were able to specify how I'd really like things done, I'd pay. It's not even because I need to be at work, but because I've been at this for 13 years, have 5 dc, and realize that there are some things I'd rather not teach if I had a choice.

In my area, there's a monthly parenting-type magazine that's distributed freely at libraries and such. If I saw an ad in there that offered a qualified teacher willing to teach whatever I needed help with, I'd absolutely call.

Cost would be comparable to private school tuition--maybe more... not sure it would be of any benifit to parents..

In some states the parents must teach the majority of the time--so this may not be an option.

She may have better luck at teaching individual classes at a co-op or online (like I do).

Does she have an area of concentration that would be in 'demand'? What subjects does she LOVE to teach?...

Do you think this is something that would really "go over?" I mean, part of the reason I homeschool is to be with my kids all day and teach them. However, my former pastor's wife wanted to homeschool their son and could not quit working, so she hired a former teacher to homeschool her son. It worked out becautifully.

Well, part of my family's income is dervived from this type of arrangement. So, my first answer is "yes".

I believe that we should be open minded and creative about what can be developed and done to provide a quality education to children.

However, what you are describing is one (or more) steps removed from *home*schooling and homeschool mindedness. I would feel more at ease asking a homeschool family to assist because there would be some likely overlap in value, approach, etc. Asking a professional who is not a homeschooler to privately tutor my kids is something I'd *consider* but it's not the same thing as developing arrangements with other homeschoolers.

I think that as homeschooling grows, as the economy continues to present challenges to families and as families find that the PS system is not a match for them or their child (even it it's a short season "away"), alternatives for those families to consider is always a good thing.

My client families are a blessing in many ways and are here for important reasons for their family situations.

If I could maintain control over curriculum, and were able to specify how I'd really like things done, I'd pay. It's not even because I need to be at work, but because I've been at this for 13 years, have 5 dc, and realize that there are some things I'd rather not teach if I had a choice.

In my area, there's a monthly parenting-type magazine that's distributed freely at libraries and such. If I saw an ad in there that offered a qualified teacher willing to teach whatever I needed help with, I'd absolutely call.

If I could afford it, I would too.

I probably wouldn't need a teacher to teach 5 days a week, but maybe 3 days, w/ homework in between. that would also affect her earnings vs a private school.

I homeschool not so much because I want to be with my kids all the time [altho that's usually fun :) ], but because I am avoiding the group-think social carp at the regular schools.

In TX it would absolutely be fine legally. NY does have specifics about what percentage must be covered by the parent, but that could pretty easily be creatively worked around and possibly even [illegally ;)] ignored, i think.

I have a friend who did this for a part-time business. What it ended up working out to, was her teaching co-op classes on specialty subjects, and then for a few kids, teaching them all day (because of parents working). She had to work with our state laws on it, and basically found a cover school that would accept her to teach for the parents.

She taught all sorts of things, from creative writing to music to French (she's gifted in many areas), and had a lot of fun ... but she found it VERY hard to make a living. (She is single and relies on her teaching income.) I bet her advice would be to be very upfront about fees and schedules and sick days and all those things. Get it all in writing.

She also had struggles with parents who wouldn't make their kids do the assignments. Several of her clients were folks who didn't like the PS, and wanted something more specialized than private school, but didn't want to make the lifestyle commitment to homeschooling. And they didn't enforce any discipline over assignments and things. So it was very frustrating to deal with those families.

Finding a location to teach, if you do classes, and keeping up a business license, and handling your self-employment taxes, are all other challenges I know she's discussed.

My guess is that finding a family looking for a full-time private teacher is a long shot, though I'm sure it's possible. There are a lot of different options your friend could explore along that line as she's looking for opportunities. A woman in our community worked with families as a "homeschool consultant." She would sit down with new families or help families troubleshoot, exploring homeschool philosophies and helping them choose curricula and find routines that best matched each family. Tutoring, teaching single subjects (biology or algebra, for example, subjects which many families might feel more comfortable hiring an expert than teaching themselves) or teaching co-op classes might open up some more opportunities for your friend as well.

Cat

Nope. I'm homeschooling because I want to homeschool my kids.

It's also illegal here. You can only homeschool your own children. Workshops, tutorials, enrichment are ok, but actually being in charge of the majority of the learning is not. For that, the person has to establish an independent school & meet the Ministry requirements for independent schools.

I wouldn't, primarily because I think that the value I add as their mother and as someone who knows them is worth something, but even if I wanted to, there is no way I could afford to work and pay someone to homeschool for me.

I think if she really wants to do this, her best bet is private tutoring, which could apply to kids universally, and offering specific classes in her area of expertise or teaching at a co-op and doing the same thing.

In my area, the things people seem willing to pay for are music and the arts, writing, lab sciences and math tutoring.

In that case she would be tutoring dc, not homeschooling them.

I might have paid someone to tutor my dc in certain subjects, but otherwise, I homeschooled them because I wanted to homeschool them.

She could start a part-time day school, or cottage school, but it would be incorrect to say that she was going to homeschool other people's dc, especially if the dc were leaving their homes to go to some other place to be taught by someone not their parents along with other children not their siblings.

I wouldn't use that kind of service as of now, but if something were to happen to dh or me, I would hire a nanny/teacher in a heartbeat!

I would want to maintain control over the curriculum though.

I know a former HS mom (her kids are grown) who makes decent $ tutoring. As long as ps keeps teaching fuzzy math and phony fonics there will always be a good market for after school tutoring.;)

You all have given her a lot to think about with your posts. Thank you! First a foremost, she needs to make sure it is legal in her state. After that, I think you are all correct about finding a family and having to share the same values and ideals. It would be tough to find the right family, but it sounds like it really could work out if that right family was found.

How could she market this? I told her that obviously news paper, etc. but does anyone else have other ideas.

I currently homeschool three other kids along with my three dc. Two of those children attend a hybrid school and get their assignments from there (Masters/Cordis). The other boy I work with, I set up all his curriculum and treat him like he is one of mine. I think this worked out for me because I taught him in a private school situation first, so the parents knew me well. Also this family travels a great deal and the kid is training for the Olympics, so it is unique. They call me thier son's private tutor, not the homeschool teacher. As far as money as goes.. they are paying me what is equal to private school tuition in the Atlanta metro area:001_smile:! This has been ideal for my family and is very rewarding for me to watch another child flurish while being homeschooled.

In some states the parents must teach the majority of the time--so this may not be an option.

I don't now about other places, but in Alaska, as long as they are certified, full time private tutors are a legal option.

I might do it if I had to work and I believed they were a good match for my children if they used curriculum and methods I believed in. They would still be getting more individualized instruction than they would in PS or even most private schools.

Edited by akmommy
fix punctuation

She could start a part-time day school, or cottage school, but it would be incorrect to say that she was going to homeschool other people's dc, especially if the dc were leaving their homes to go to some other place to be taught by someone not their parents along with other children not their siblings.

If I was hiring someone to oversee the schooling of my dc I'd expect her to come to my home, and since i'm seeking to avoid the whole group thing of "other people's dc" I wouldn't be interested in a cottage school. I'd want a home tutor/schooler. So she'd be a home schooler, just not a homeschooler ;)

You all have given her a lot to think about with your posts. Thank you! First a foremost, she needs to make sure it is legal in her state. After that, I think you are all correct about finding a family and having to share the same values and ideals. It would be tough to find the right family, but it sounds like it really could work out if that right family was found.

How could she market this? I told her that obviously news paper, etc. but does anyone else have other ideas.

If she can't legally horn in on the homeschool community and would rather take on a family than several different students, she would need to find out how/if permission/ licenses are eneded. In TX, no license is needed to teach, even as a private school.

I would encourage her to send her info to the homeschool groups. Many times we get calls from people wanting us to homeschool their kids :lol:. I would guess that she likely won't get too many current homeschoolers, but instead people who are wanting to yank their kids out of school but don't want to give up either the $$ or benefits their job offers. So another place to advertise might be in local professional circles or the Parent's magazine --most cities usually have some sort of local parent's magazine that shares articles and local activities. Usually geared to working parents too.

If I was hiring someone to oversee the schooling of my dc I'd expect her to come to my home, and since i'm seeking to avoid the whole group thing of "other people's dc" I wouldn't be interested in a cottage school. I'd want a home tutor/schooler. So she'd be a home schooler, just not a homeschooler ;)

No. She'd be a tutor.

I can't figure out why hsers seem to want to avoid the term "tutor." It's a perfectly good word and it keeps the waters from being muddied. I homeschool my own dc. I'm a homeschooler. But if I bring in a third party to instruct my dc, that person is a tutor.

I know someone who does that. We live in PA and the rules are strict, but if you're a certified teacher in the state of PA, you can privately tutor a child for money.

The mother can't do the homeschooling, but her child wasn't doing well in school. So, another homeschooling mother, who has the certification, is homeschooling the 1st mother's child under the Tutoring laws of PA, while she teaches her own kids under the Homeschooling laws of PA.

No. She'd be a tutor.

I can't figure out why hsers seem to want to avoid the term "tutor." It's a perfectly good word and it keeps the waters from being muddied. I homeschool my own dc. I'm a homeschooler. But if I bring in a third party to instruct my dc, that person is a tutor.

Tutor doesn't demand that the one doing the tutoring be a third party.

neither does schooling or teaching. The only place that the waters would be crystal clear is the one assuming that tutor means third party ;)

many of US don't see why you would be so concerned about water being muddied --either children are being taught in an institutional setting [public, private, or co-op] or they're not. :D

why do we call it home schooling instead of home tutoring? MOstly cuz that's the way the chips fell originally, lol.

eta: and that's also why there's a difference between using it as one word or two.

You know, the private certified teacher is an important thing to check on. In our state, that sort of teaching falls under completely different regulations ... much more paperwork and rules to follow. Also it's a pain to keep up the certification.

Another question for your friend would be in regarding the family's HSLDA membership, if they have one, or in any similar organization. I know that when we filled out the forms, it asked who would be teaching and what percent of the time. So hiring a full-time tutor might accidentally invalidate some legal protections there. I'm sure a quick phone call would answer that question, but it's worth asking.

I think you just do what's best for your family. If you can homeschool yourself, great. If you have someone else that can homeschool, that's fine, too. You pick the best choices of the ones you have. Picking public school gives you the least amount of choices.

Carrie:-)

If someone else teaches your dc, that's a tutor. It isn't homeschooling, unless it's a friend who homeschools and brings your dc along. Calling that person a tutor does not imply that you're not doing what's best for your dc's education.

I don't consider hiring a private tutor "homeschooling", nor would I pay anyone to do the job.

I agree. Homeschooling was me staying home with my kids and teaching them myself. Paying someone to teach my kids would be some form of private schooling, in my mind, but far-removed from homeschooling.

Ria

I was a private home tutor.

After my first son was born, I quit teaching ps to be home full time. I was offered a job "home-schooling" (the family's term --not mine) a kindergartner who had very, very wealthy parents. I taught at his home 4 short mornings each week. My baby was there with me and cared for by the family's nanny.

That's how I got started home-schooling! As soon as I began tutoring (the very first day) I was thrilled by how enjoyable and effective it was in every way. Everything about it was better than teaching an entire class.

I later taught math and science for 2 girls who I would call 'real' home-schoolers. I taught once a week for 3 hours in their home to give their mom a break. (Again, the family was very well-off and paid me my hourly ps teaching wage.) That year, I was 'converted' and decided to home-school my own boys.

I'm so glad I had the chance to learn about home-schooling/home-tutoring/whatever-you-want-to-call-it during those years of teaching in other families!

Yes, I like the idea. Except I dont relaly want another woman in my home. And I like to be in control. But apart from that :). At this stage, I would put my kids in school though- they are highschool age. If they were younger and i know what I know now, I would rather they by homescholed by someone else than go to school. I think. Depend on the person I guess.

But, I am sure there would be a market for it. Probably not so much in Australia, but surely over there.

If someone else teaches your dc, that's a tutor. It isn't homeschooling, unless it's a friend who homeschools and brings your dc along. Calling that person a tutor does not imply that you're not doing what's best for your dc's education.

?????

That doesn't make sense and seems pretty subjective.

So if the private tutor I hire to school my children in my home is "already homeschooling her own dc" and becomes a friend, THEN it could be called homeschooling? I'd call that CO-OP'ing.

In America, you have three basic recognized forms of schooling: public school, private school, and homeschool. Each state regulates what they consider to be homeschooling/ private schooling.

in TX, homeschools ARE private schools, but culturally speaking, private schools are usually a building where familieS [plural] send their children to be taught by teacherS [plural]. Tutors are usually looked at as people giving supplemental help to lots of different students in a certain subject in the tutor's home or a neutral location. Not many private tutors in America make house calls or dedicate their time to a full school day for just one kid or a few kids from one family.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4676496

m-w.com notes that homeschool [one word] is teaching one's children at home. The emphasis is not on who is doing the teaching, but that it is at HOME and one's family, not families. They don't list "afterschooling" but we know what that term means ;)

But if you're talking about a tutor taking on the regular schooling of a family's kids in the children's own home, it's literally home schooling [two words]. And it's a few less syllables than "private tutoring of all subjects in our home by a third party" --if you truly want to make sure the waters aren't muddied. :)

i freely admit --when there are a few different synonyms that we can choose, I tend to go w/ the one that fits the description the best, regardless my own preconceived notions.

In America, a third party teacher taking on the regular instruction of an entire family [and only that family] is much closer to homeschooling than it is to a nanny position, co-op or even a small typical private school, so I'm not seeing how it would be "far removed"....

or like these guys:

http://www.professionaltutors.com/homeschool.htm

Tutors who Homeschool :)

I can certainly understand a family wanting to maintain control of the teaching though and refusing to consider the option -that's where I am for considering public schools. :D.

But I also know it has taken a long time to get the homeschool community to recognize that there are families out there that homeschool differently, yet are still homeschoolers, so I expect "who's doing the homeschooling" will be the next terminology debate, lol. This kinda reminds me of "the pastor's ONLY job" thread.....

It'll be interesting to see what ends up in Merriam's in the next 15- 20 years.:lurk5:

I can imagine that you could end up with all the negatives. Self-employment meets homeschooler independent attitude. Parents who want someone else to enforce the academics, but still want to take a pass on enforcing assignments and timeliness. It could get quite frustrating.

I have heard of some homeschool/independent schools that were like menu plan coops. I think that Homeschool Plus is one of the names associated with this type of program. If such programs paid instructors, that might be an option for OP's friend.

Some school districts do have home study teachers for students who are homebound, either temp or permanent, for various reasons. Is this something that would apply?

There was also an article in NY Times recently about the rise in tutors. I think the story was about a company that was placing tutors in home situations.

I work part-time and have a part-time teacher. I haven't read through all of the posts, but if you'll PM me, I'll be happy to give you more details about how we do this, including how much we pay. We have many, many friends whose kids are either homeschooled or in private school who are interested in doing this as well. Several have strongly hinted that they want to send their kids to our house. :glare: That's not happening.

Terri

I haven't read the thread yet...but...

*I* wouldn't have someone else school my children at their home or mine but I most certainly think there is a market for it. It seems like options for schooling are booming which I think is a GREAT thing. But all parents cannot be the ones overseeing the day to day work some of those schooling options, including homeschooling, require. So they delegate the work out to people who can do it, hopefully well.

Most of the benefits of homeschooling (or one-room classroom type options) are still available with a situation like you talk about. Of course, the big one that it leaves out is the family aspect.

No...:iagree:

Cost would be comparable to private school tuition--maybe more... not sure it would be of any benifit to parents..

She may have better luck at teaching individual classes at a co-op or online (like I do).

Does she have an area of concentration that would be in 'demand'? What subjects does she LOVE to teach?...

I have been asked to homeschool other people's children many times. Sometimes people ask jokingly and sometimes seriously and other times I think they want a combo of daycare/homeschool.

I have never agreed to homeschool other children because I feel completely saturated with my own children.

OTOH, I do use tutors for Latin, Greek and French. In the past I have used math and English Literature tutors, as well.

It's really nice to have a break from all the responsibility and it appears to be nice for my children to have a break from Mom.

My sister is a teacher and homeschooled a little girl training for the olympics. She has also had a family ask her to homeschool their 3 children. She use to teach at a private school and tutor these kids. She never made her living off of homeschooling but only supplemented her income.

Personally, I don't think I would pay someone to homeschool DS completely for me. Maybe if I could afford it, I would opt for someone to teach the subjects I am weak in.

I love, love, love my children. But I have learned that I am not always the best teacher for them.

I homeschooled my older ds (not knowing that he had Asperger's) for 4 years. I pulled my hair out. Daily. He could not stand for anyone else to make any noise, yet he made noise all the time. It took all day (and sometimes longer) to finish a simple math assignment. I tried every curriculum, every manipulative, candy, money, punishment, etc. known to man.

In the fourth grade we found a private school with a learning center that would accept kids with autism spectrum disorders. The teacher was AMAZING. She had carpeting on the floor (to cut down on the noise), study carrels (sp?), and allowed students to take off their shoes, bring a blanket and favorite stuffed animal, anything that would make the students comfortable. When someone became agitated, they could go to the corner with headphones and classical music to block out whatever was bothering them.

The difference in my ds was almost a miracle. He made "friends" for the first time in his life (besides his siblings, I mean). He remembered other students' names. And he did WORK for her!

Could I be that kind of teacher for my son? I might be able to --- if he were the only child I had. But I don't have the personality that manages and exudes the peace that she had.

Her dh had some health issues that caused her to have to quit. Otherwise, I would do anything within my power to have someone like that take my ds through high school!

There are people with gifts I don't have. And I feel incredibly blessed when God puts one in our path to share those gifts with my dc.

I love, love, love my children. But I have learned that I am not always the best teacher for them.

I homeschooled my older ds (not knowing that he had Asperger's) for 4 years. I pulled my hair out. Daily. He could not stand for anyone else to make any noise, yet he made noise all the time. It took all day (and sometimes longer) to finish a simple math assignment. I tried every curriculum, every manipulative, candy, money, punishment, etc. known to man.

In the fourth grade we found a private school with a learning center that would accept kids with autism spectrum disorders. The teacher was AMAZING. She had carpeting on the floor (to cut down on the noise), study carrels (sp?), and allowed students to take off their shoes, bring a blanket and favorite stuffed animal, anything that would make the students comfortable. When someone became agitated, they could go to the corner with headphones and classical music to block out whatever was bothering them. A story they didn't like. The sound of someone's pencil moving against paper. Etc.

The difference in my ds was almost a miracle. He made "friends" for the first time in his life (besides his siblings, I mean). He remembered other students' names. And he did WORK for her!

Could I be that kind of teacher for my son? I might be able to --- if he were the only child I had. But I don't have the personality that manages and exudes the peace that she had.

Her dh had some health issues that caused her to have to quit. Otherwise, I would do anything within my power to have someone like that take my ds through high school!

There are people with gifts I don't have. And I feel incredibly blessed when God puts one in our path to share those gifts with my dc.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just asked to homeschool again, today!

Awkward. The little girl is sweet and she's my daughter's age but I have to admit I'm not organized enough. May be if I could get the other mom to make all the food.

Plus I want to homeschool in London for a month or so.