Menu

Do you teach your children about OPPOSING viewpoints?

For instance:

1.Do you teach your children about other religions? Christians, do you teach them about Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Paganism, etc.? Pagans, do you teach about these other religions as well? Muslims, do teach about the others? Etc., etc.

2.Do you teach about opposing scientific views? Creationists, do you teach about evolution? Evolutionists, do you teach about creationism?

3.Do you teach opposing moral/social beliefs? Pro-lifers, do you teach about the arguments that exist in favor of abortion? Pro-choicers, do you teach about the arguments opposing abortion?

Obviously, I could go on and on. These are just a few examples that popped into my head. Is it profitable for your children to understand what skeptical scholars opposed to your way of thinking/believing are saying, and if so, why?

What dangers exist as you examine these opposing belief systems and how do you overcome it? If you DO teach opposing beliefs, do you do it in an objective manner or do you teach them as something others believe and that these beliefs are false and why they are false?

Does the benefit of knowing “all sides of the story†outweigh the chance that your children might choose to believe something that you oppose?

What says the hive?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My kids are still pretty young, so our "opposing viewpoints lessons" aren't exactly in-depth, but we do talk about them. I can't imagine being able to explain *my viewpoints without mentioning others.

As of right now, my 10yo could probably be labeled a conservative Christian republican- all things I am not, lol. Nor are his father or step-father, so figure that one out! Right now it's mostly on the surface without much true understanding, but I look forward to having more mature discussions with him and seeing how it all pans out.

DH and I are in the camp that believes that our children will make the best choices, be able to express their beliefs most clearly, and live most peacefully with others if they understand and even appreciate the source of the beliefs of others.

In religion, that means we have recently been teaching about Hinduism and Buddhism (they came up during history), and ended up touching on Islam and Judaism as well (had to round out the top 5!). We don't focus just on how they differ from our Christianinty, but on the commonalities among the beliefs - for example, they all teach about kindness towards others. It also gives us a chance to talk about why we believe what we do - rote belief was what drove me away from church for a while. We've also talked about the New Earth versus Old Earth issue quite a bit, in part because some friends are New Earth (we aren't) and I want my boys to be sensitive to them, not mocking (which I've seen from others). Again, we focus on how the fact that we all still believe that God's hand is behind everything we have on Earth, no matter how it happened.

We had similar discussions about politics during the election, focusing on how Democrats and Republicans still share the same fundamental belief in a free nation.

I know there are many viewpoints on this topic, and concern that exposing our children to other beliefs at a young age can confuse them. But I would rather they hear about other viewpoints from us, in a loving and (I hope) balanced way. We just hope that with the right presentation it can help them grow.

I hope this gives you some ideas to think about. Best wishes!

Yes, absolutely. I can't imagine a world in which my children will first hear of opposing points of view when they leave my home! Even at their young age, I teach them what others believe and why they believe it, then I explain why we've chosen a different route. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Mine are still so young, but I do plan to teach things.

I'm of the young-earth-creationist mindset, and dh is not. So at least that one will be covered. LOL. Right now, Ted's into numbers ... asking when the earth was made is one of them. (He's 7.) So we talked about how the earth had to be made at least before the Bible was written, and how it goes back to around 4,000 BC or so, so the earth had to be at least 6,000 years old. (My numbers may be off, forgive me, medication fog today.) And then I explained that some people had done experiments and thought it might even be millions of years old, but that others read the results a different way. That's as deep as it went, and he had enough of an answer to satisfy him. I figure I was at least able to present both sides very gently and with respect. Which is what I hope to do with other issues as they come up.

I want them to understand and lovingly respect the right of others to think differently, while understanding strongly why he believes the way he does, and what questions and opposition he may encounter. But that's mostly for later. Right now, still very young.

1.Do you teach your children about other religions? Christians, do you teach them about Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Paganism, etc.? Pagans, do you teach about these other religions as well? Muslims, do teach about the others? Etc., etc.

Yes, we do. We're Unitarian-Universalists, so this is part of our value system. My kids learn about world religions both in Sunday school and at home.

2.Do you teach about opposing scientific views? Creationists, do you teach about evolution? Evolutionists, do you teach about creationism?

Again, yes. I don't think of myself as an "evolutionist," because I really don't think there's a debate. So, I don't need to go around proclaiming my "beliefs." We simply teach evolution as the currently accepted scientific explanation for things. However, I do make sure my kids know that there are people who do not accept this, and I do my best to respectfully represent that viewpoint to help my children understand where those people are coming from.

3.Do you teach opposing moral/social beliefs? Pro-lifers, do you teach about the arguments that exist in favor of abortion? Pro-choicers, do you teach about the arguments opposing abortion?

Yep. As soon as the kids show any interest in these topics, we discuss them. I, again, do my best to fairly introduce both sides (all sides?) of the debate, then explain my own position, then invite the kids to share their thoughts. My son and I were in the car the other day listening to the radio when there was discussion about something having to do with abortion. I thought my son was reading, but he piped up and said he agreed with the idea (which I don't remember in detail, but had something to do with restricting access to abortion). I explained as best I could why those kinds of restrictions might not be constititional and why they make some people unconfortable, and we talked about the whole thing for a good 20 minutes. (I don't think I changed his mind, by the way.)

Obviously, I could go on and on. These are just a few examples that popped into my head. Is it profitable for your children to understand what skeptical scholars opposed to your way of thinking/believing are saying, and if so, why?

I believe it is absolutely vitally important for children to understand these things. Face it, eventually they will grow up and have minds of their own. If you've left them unprepared to intelligently analyze and debate their beliefs, how on earth do you expect them to function in the world?

What dangers exist as you examine these opposing belief systems and how do you overcome it? If you DO teach opposing beliefs, do you do it in an objective manner or do you teach them as something others believe and that these beliefs are false and why they are false?

The only "danger" I can see is if I fear that my beliefs wouldn't hold up or that I might lose my children if they ever got wind of something that contradicts what I've been teaching them. I don't have that fear.

I teach opposing beliefs in as honest, respectful and objective manner as I can manage. I never tell my children that other people's beliefs are "false." Instead, I explain to them why I believe as I do.

I also think, by the way, that a well-thought-out and dearly held belief system will only be made stronger by debate. I have found that having to intelligently defend what I believe usually ends up clarifying things for me.

Does the benefit of knowing “all sides of the story†outweigh the chance that your children might choose to believe something that you oppose?

Well, first of all, I don't really think we "choose" what to believe. I think we believe what we do because those things resonate with our hearts and minds. Also, I'm pretty sure my children will end up disagreeing with me about many things over the course of their lives. They have good brains and are being taught to use them. I can't control their thoughts or their beliefs, and I wouldn't do so if I could. So, the best I believe I can do is to equip them to be thoughtful people and to treat those with whom they disagree--even when it might be me--with respect.

We touch on these as they come up, but I don't make a point of seeking a way to add it to the curriculum. We are theistic evolutionists or evolutionary creationists or whatever you want to call it - we believe God did it and science can tell us a lot about how. We are Catholic. Since we run into homeschooled kids of other denominations, they are exposed to other ideas. We had to address the young-earth creation model very specifically because my son was volunteering with a young man who basically told my son that he was not a Christian and going to hell if he did not believe in a 7 24-hour day creation 6000 or so years ago. My son was similarly disdainful of this young man's beliefs as not being scientific. This lead to lots of discussions on humility, respecting other beliefs, treating others how one wants to be treated, methods of evangelization.

Whle we do belong to a Catholic homeschooling group, our favorite homeschooling group is non-sectarian and inclusive so we know many families of varying beliefs. We have been to Bar Mitzvahs, Hannakuh celebrations (this Jewish family felt strongly that the way to oppose anti-semitism was to invite people to experience their faith and culture.) We have had to be sensitive to families fasting for Ramadan. We have close friends who are pagan. We have friends who are athiests, conservative Christians, etc. In general, in the context of this homeschooling group, belief systems are treated as matter of factly as the color of one's hair -respect for differences.

I feel like we are middle of the road on the shelter vs. expose philosphy. On one hand, we did not join the Christian homeschooling groups in our area, partially because some of them had statements of faith that were designed to exlude Catholics and partially because I did not want my children to face the constant denigration of our beliefs (Catholicism, old-earth) that I personally have experienced. We place some limits on media entering the household regarding the violent and sexualizationn of our culture - movies, TV shows. We do get a mainstream daily paper and a couple mainstream magazines. However, like I mentioned above, we do not keep only to "own kind" when dealing with other homeschoolers and the public in general. Heck, we would have to disown my family if I placed too many restrictions on who we associated with.

Not in any formal way, mostly as it comes up in history.

Sure. We teach that knowledge is always increasing, and thus our understanding of the world may change. Viewpoints at odds with the status quo are included whenever we deem them important enough, either scientifically or socially.

Very much so, although we haven't dealt with abortion in any detail yet (8 & 10 yr olds).

I don't have a problem with the idea that my children might believe something that I don't, or that we might take opposing sides on a moral issue. I believe, and teach, that there are good and bad people to be found on both sides of every fence. And a person's beliefs about a topic, whether scientific, religious or personal, can certainly change over time.

I teach opposing beliefs in as honest, respectful and objective manner as I can manage. I never tell my children that other people's beliefs are "false." Instead, I explain to them why I believe as I do.

:iagree:

I'll echo lots of what Jenny in Florida said, actually.

My kids have learned about different religions through history as they come up. We have also discussed them concerning current events.

They are also aware of the evolution theory. We have used a few science books that were secular and presented it as a truth. I would preface the Biblical creation beforehand and then we would read it.

1.Do you teach your children about other religions? Christians, do you teach them about Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Paganism, etc.? Pagans, do you teach about these other religions as well? Muslims, do teach about the others? Etc., etc. Yes. I think it is important for them to understand other people's beliefs, at least to a degree for a number of reasons. First, I think it HELPS one be more convicted in their own beliefs. It is a kindness to others. It's part of being well-educated also.

2.Do you teach about opposing scientific views? Creationists, do you teach about evolution? Evolutionists, do you teach about creationism? Yes. For similar reasons as above.

3.Do you teach opposing moral/social beliefs? Pro-lifers, do you teach about the arguments that exist in favor of abortion? Pro-choicers, do you teach about the arguments opposing abortion? yes. Again, for similar reasons as above.

Obviously, I could go on and on. These are just a few examples that popped into my head. Is it profitable for your children to understand what skeptical scholars opposed to your way of thinking/believing are saying, and if so, why? It encourages thinking. It helps one be able to answer critics. It helps if one is in a position to give a witness. It helps one be convicted of their own beliefs.

What dangers exist as you examine these opposing belief systems and how do you overcome it? If you DO teach opposing beliefs, do you do it in an objective manner or do you teach them as something others believe and that these beliefs are false and why they are false? Well, it's presented objectively enough but with the hope they will see the false ideas and whys. We'd do a number of things to consider the points as necessary. In the end though, it will be his/her belief and he/she has to own it.

Does the benefit of knowing “all sides of the story” outweigh the chance that your children might choose to believe something that you oppose? I believe so. I think it is more dangerous to point out one side of things never encouraging them to consider other viewpoints logically. My biggest worry would be that they could be swayed easily, not recognizing false thinking, faulty reasoning, etc. I agree with "know it well" (like how bankers are taught to KNOW what a bill looks like as multiple fakes could come through), but I also think that you have to have some knowledge of what is coming down the pipeline at this time also.

It may be, for me, that I was buffalo'd a few times, wishy washy in beliefs, because of just buying a party line. I wanted TRUTH, but had to go down multiple roads leading to dead ends to finally find it. So it is important for me that my kids know how to think, research, question EVERYTHING, etc.

I want them to grow up having the foundational skill on which to grow.

I also think it is perfectly okay for them to have differing beliefs on SOME things. There are many issues that are a matter of preference, conscience, etc. We hold different beliefs on some of these things now and no doubt will have even more differences as they grow up. I'm cool with that :) And if there was a BIG change in beliefs, I'd be sad, but again, I believe they have to have, hold and OWN their own beliefs.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Of course. How can a child defend their stand if they don't know what others believe? Naturally, the information has to be consistent with the child's maturity level, but to hide opposing view points does the child a disservice when he/she is ready to go out into the world.

I'm a conservative Christian, yet both my kids know about the theory of evolution, abortion, other religions, and other practices that are contrary to our world view. The most conservative people I know discuss these issues with their children.

Yes. I will often debate the other side, and leave my kids thinking I believe the opposite of what I do.

I'm an atheist, and we have studied all religions through our history studies. We started with all creation stories.

I'm an evolutionist. I don't teach creationism under science, I teach it under history or religion. I do mention during science that some people don't believe in evolution due to their religious beliefs.

I plan to get more detailed with my high schooler regarding "creationism as science" though. We'll probably use this as a logic exercise.

3.Do you teach opposing moral/social beliefs? Pro-lifers, do you teach about the arguments that exist in favor of abortion? Pro-choicers, do you teach about the arguments opposing abortion??

Yes. Particularly with the abortion issue.

Obviously, I could go on and on. These are just a few examples that popped into my head. Is it profitable for your children to understand what skeptical scholars opposed to your way of thinking/believing are saying, and if so, why? ?

I don't think you can have a good logical debate with someone if you don't know where they're coming from.

What dangers exist as you examine these opposing belief systems and how do you overcome it? If you DO teach opposing beliefs, do you do it in an objective manner or do you teach them as something others believe and that these beliefs are false and why they are false? ?

I try to do it in an objective manner, but it's hard for me when I think the correct "opinion" is obvious. I try to talk to someone who genuinely believes in an opposing viewpoint to understand their stance.

Does the benefit of knowing “all sides of the story†outweigh the chance that your children might choose to believe something that you oppose??

I think I'm logical, I think my kids are logical. I'm pretty sure my kids will end up believing as I do. I think kids are more likely to end up with their parents' beliefs if the parents don't cram them down their throats. Kids will hear other beliefs when they are out in the world anyway, I wouldn't want them thinking I had lied to them all along.

I know I won't be able to express this as good as others may, but lots of this discussion seems rather post-modern in some respects. I suppose much of that is in an effort to not offend others in this board. But it also seems to be part of what we are teaching our kids.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't see alot of people talking about actual truth, some are. Truth exists and I want to teach my kids that it does. Now whether Mommy knows all truth - that is another story to which we all know the ending. I want to teach my kids to search for the truth. I want to teach them that not everyone will believe in the truth. But I also want them to know that beliefs are different from truth and that no matter how sincere or passionate someone can be about their beliefs, they can be wrong.

But mostly I want to teach them that it is real people that hold these beliefs, with fears and hurts and hearts that God longs for. This is what is to be respected and loved.

"Postmodernists hold that the pretense of objective truth always does violence by excluding other voices (regarding other world views to be invalid), and marginalizing the vulnerable by scripting them out of the story. Truth claims, we are told, are essentially tools to legitimate power. That's why in postmodern culture, the person to be feared is the one who believes that we can discover ultimate truth. The dogmatist, the totalizer, the absolutist is both naive and dangerous.

A growing number, especially among the emerging generation, believe that reason and truth are inherently political and subversive. That's why they are often so cynical. According to the voices in contemporary culture that shape "Generation X" thinking, claims to truth are clever disguises for the pernicious "will to power." Consequently, rather than dominating others with our "version of reality," we should accept all beliefs as equally valid. Openness without the restraint of reason, and tolerance without moral appraisal are the new postmodern mandates.

Some might say "what's wrong with that?" Our understanding of truth may be relative, but truth is not. It is dangerous because it leads to conclusions like: Ethics are relative, morality is relative; and cannot be proven.

forever wondering...

1.Do you teach your children about other religions? Christians, do you teach them about Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Paganism, etc.? Pagans, do you teach about these other religions as well? Muslims, do teach about the others? Etc., etc. Yes. It is important to know.

2.Do you teach about opposing scientific views? Creationists, do you teach about evolution? Evolutionists, do you teach about creationism? Of course, they need to know. I wouldn't start lengthy explanations before the logic stage though.

3.Do you teach opposing moral/social beliefs? Pro-lifers, do you teach about the arguments that exist in favor of abortion? Pro-choicers, do you teach about the arguments opposing abortion? No one taught me this. It will come naturally through the media later. It really depends on the issue. There are many; I can't possibly cover them all.

Obviously, I could go on and on. These are just a few examples that popped into my head. Is it profitable for your children to understand what skeptical scholars opposed to your way of thinking/believing are saying, and if so, why? For some things it is better taught by me, not someone else, and they will hear it eventually. They need to know in order to be convinced themselves, and stand up for their beliefs.

What dangers exist as you examine these opposing belief systems and how do you overcome it? If you DO teach opposing beliefs, do you do it in an objective manner or do you teach them as something others believe and that these beliefs are false and why they are false? I follow the example in the Scriptures, where we are always told what is false.

That is something that could happen if I don't teach all sides.

These are great questions. I don't know how to chunk each question to quote it and answer right below each one. But, here goes:

1) Yes, I do and it doesn't scare me to let them have that information. I always let them know that the reason I'm telling them so and so is because I want them to respect other people. If they grow up and appear to be great men of God but are shocked or horrified when they come into contact with others then I have failed them. I want them to understand that they can disagree without losing their composure or concern for others.

2) Yes. I wouldn't even consider doing otherwise. I see no benefit in failing to give them the info. they need to understand the conversations that are going on around them all the time.

3) Yes, but I keep it age appropriate and don't expect my six year old to relate to the same info. that I would want him to relate to at sixteen.

I'm not afraid that my children will reject Biblical truth nor the God of the Bible. Not one bit at all whatsoever. I am completely confident that knowing about these things will not keep them from God. The bottom line is that I want them to have those conversations with me and my husband and not with their peers. I don't want them to get their info. through the media. I think I would be failing them big time if I didn't help them to know what others believe and think because they are definately going to be bumping into that info. all the time anyways.

I do not teach them that all viewpoints are valid or equal to one another. Some things are right and some things are wrong, but not every viewpoint that is different than ours is wrong. If I think something is false, I will say so. But, I make an effort to show respect to other people and their beliefs because that's what I want them to be able to do.

1.Do you teach your children about other religions? Christians, do you teach them about Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Paganism, etc.? Pagans, do you teach about these other religions as well? Muslims, do teach about the others? Etc., etc. Sure, usually as they come up in history. I try to make a point of showing the areas in which we believe the same as another faith as well as strengths of that particular religion. Then I ask the dc to help me identify the difference between what they believe & what we believe & why that's important.

2.Do you teach about opposing scientific views? Creationists, do you teach about evolution? Evolutionists, do you teach about creationism? Yes. We've already talked about a lot of it--evolution vs. transubstantiation of the species, for ex.--& when they're old enough, they'll read Darwin. I took a Biology course on Darwin at a Catholic university, & it was the only time in my life that a group of people actually looked at the original text & openly discussed evolution vs. creation. Not everyone agreed, & that was ok. I'd like to give my dc a similar approach.

3.Do you teach opposing moral/social beliefs? Pro-lifers, do you teach about the arguments that exist in favor of abortion? Pro-choicers, do you teach about the arguments opposing abortion? Mine are too young, imo, to know anything about abortion, one way or another. However, when the time comes, I do think it's important to present both sides of this because I don't want my dc to view or treat people who are pro-choice like they are murderers. While I am pro-life, I believe that the life that's carrying the child is as valuable as the one being carried, & I don't want my dc to *ever* lose sight of that.

Obviously, I could go on and on. These are just a few examples that popped into my head. Is it profitable for your children to understand what skeptical scholars opposed to your way of thinking/believing are saying, and if so, why? Always? Not necessarily. But if it's a prevailing opinion or if it comes up, I think it's a lot more productive to talk about it than try to hide it. Otoh, I don't see any good in *looking* for as many opposing views as possible, either.

What dangers exist as you examine these opposing belief systems and how do you overcome it? If you DO teach opposing beliefs, do you do it in an objective manner or do you teach them as something others believe and that these beliefs are false and why they are false? Are there dangers in presenting other religions/beliefs/etc? I guess it would be naive to say no. But...to some extent...I guess I think those "dangers" --if we want to call them that-- are there anyway. I do try to present other beliefs objectively at first. Then I ask the dc how these beliefs line up with the Bible. I don't think I ever put things in terms of true vs. false. Not that I think that that would be wrong...it's just that most issues are a little more complicated than that, & dc are black & white enough w/out trying to make things more that way. My goal is to teach them compassion rather than dogma.

Does the benefit of knowing “all sides of the story†outweigh the chance that your children might choose to believe something that you oppose? Hmmm...I think this is a false dilemma. Knowing "all sides of the story" is probably more valuable to me than having my dc agree w/ me on *some* issues. Evolution, for ex, is not something that I'm staking anything on. I think it can make an interesting topic of discussion, & that's about it. Otoh, faith & life-issue topics like abortion matter so much, but would I try to manipulate their exposure to other arguments to get them to agree w/ me on these? Ultimately, I don't have that much control over my children. At least, I won't forever.

I believe that they can only follow the Lord if the Holy Spirit leads them. Kind-of like the horse & the water, you know? I can introduce them to the stream, etc., & I could probably drowned them in it ;), but actually learning to drink from it--to depend upon, believe, & follow the Lord--that will ultimately be between them & God.

So I guess what I'm saying is, the things that it would be worth it to *make* them believe, I don't have that power. And the things where I *might* have that power (though I doubt it), it's not worth it. (Nope. I don't think that came out making sense at all. Sorry!)

What says the hive?

DH and I are in the camp that believes that our children will make the best choices, be able to express their beliefs most clearly, and live most peacefully with others if they understand and even appreciate the source of the beliefs of others.

Agree!

I know I won't be able to express this as good as others may, but lots of this discussion seems rather post-modern in some respects. I suppose much of that is in an effort to not offend others in this board. But it also seems to be part of what we are teaching our kids.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't see alot of people talking about actual truth, some are. Truth exists and I want to teach my kids that it does. Now whether Mommy knows all truth - that is another story to which we all know the ending. I want to teach my kids to search for the truth. I want to teach them that not everyone will believe in the truth. But I also want them to know that beliefs are different from truth and that no matter how sincere or passionate someone can be about their beliefs, they can be wrong.

But mostly I want to teach them that it is real people that hold these beliefs, with fears and hurts and hearts that God longs for. This is what is to be respected and loved.

"Postmodernists hold that the pretense of objective truth always does violence by excluding other voices (regarding other world views to be invalid), and marginalizing the vulnerable by scripting them out of the story. Truth claims, we are told, are essentially tools to legitimate power. That's why in postmodern culture, the person to be feared is the one who believes that we can discover ultimate truth. The dogmatist, the totalizer, the absolutist is both naive and dangerous.

A growing number, especially among the emerging generation, believe that reason and truth are inherently political and subversive. That's why they are often so cynical. According to the voices in contemporary culture that shape "Generation X" thinking, claims to truth are clever disguises for the pernicious "will to power." Consequently, rather than dominating others with our "version of reality," we should accept all beliefs as equally valid. Openness without the restraint of reason, and tolerance without moral appraisal are the new postmodern mandates.

Some might say "what's wrong with that?" Our understanding of truth may be relative, but truth is not. It is dangerous because it leads to conclusions like: Ethics are relative, morality is relative; and cannot be proven.

forever wondering...

Can I ask where you got this quote from? I thought it was very interesting.

Yes to all. Some of it's age-appropriate, meaning I'm not going to get into a deep discussion about abortion with my 7 year old.

But, I feel like my children cannot debate ethics unless they know both sides. One of my favorite classes in college was Morality and Justice. Our eldest has to take a philosophy class as well, and he looks forward to something like this.

I don't see religion as something to be debated, though. We do learn about other religions during history and throughout normal discussions, but I have no need to get deep into it. My eldest son is now friends with a young man whose family is Mormon (he is an atheist), so I'm sure we'll be learning more about Mormonism. He asked to come to our church last Sunday, so he and my son went.

As for creation/evolution, that one comes up a lot because Nathan listens to Jonathan Park a lot, and our eldest is taking college biology right now and they have discussed the theory of evolution. The professor asked the class to write a small paper telling him how they believe the world began.

We discuss opposing viewpoints often. My girls are 13 & 14. It has caused them to grow intellectually I think. I would hope that everyone would view issues from both sides at least just to be sure they have all the facts straight and that after considering both sides that they still believe in what you believe in. I don't want my dds making decisions based on one side of the story.

We are always open to discussions. In terms of religions, that is addressed in history and geography and also sometimes when cultural or newsworthy things happen. We have visited a mosque, a recreation of a Hindu temple, another of a Buddhist shrine. In terms of evolution, we accept miro changes but see no evidence of drastic changes. My skeptism of evolution came before any religous ideas I had about it. I don't need to present the evolution arguements since they are pounded into their heads ad nauseum through shows they have watched and museums they have visited. My eldest read Darwin but I haven't decided whether children 2 and 3 will. Not because there is anything wrong with reading it, simply because their coursework is somewhat different. Abortion is something we believe is wrong. Our discussions mainly focus on what are effective and legal ways to oppose it versus ineffective or illegal ways. As issues come up, we discuss them.

Yes, I teach my children about different viewpoints. There are too many wide eyed college students who become disillusioned because they are suddenly made aware that different views exist. I don't want my kids to be blindsided that way. Also, I try to be fair when presenting these other views. It's easy to come across like all people who believe different than me are ignorant or stupid, and that is certainly not the case.

I've waded through an awful lot of junky arguments and propoganda in my short lifetime, and I want the kids to wade through others. I want to pass the torch so they can run farther, not make the kids start back where it was lit.

The only opposing viewpoint I'm shy about covering is the opposing view on when life begins. My eight-year-old said to me the other day, "but no one clones people, right?" I stuttered until there was some distraction I could jump on to change the subject. How do you explain to a child who has been told over and over that babies are born innocent and close to the gods, that babies are precious and perfect and we should trust them, hold them, answer their cries . . . that babies are made solely for the harvesting of baby parts? I can't. I don't know when I will. Maybe it will be high school biology, or some book my child reads on his own. I hope when they hear about it that the kids are shocked and stunned and deeply saddened.

Our kids have a small to large understanding of others based on their age and ability. We'll keep growing their knowledge as they mature. I'm a very conservative Christian, but I can teach my children the positive of a multitude of different situations. We send our children to Summit around 16 years old to learn Apologetics, in a class type situation. They are able to hear great speakers in Apologetics, ones that I would love to hear!

If I believed that all viewpoints were equal, I wouldn't teach as I do. BUT, I do believe that all people are valuable and that we can be respectful of other's viewpoints.

Carrie:-)

Atheist here, so no religion, but we talk about different beliefs. Words like "opposing" generally only come up in a historical context.

Evolution is science. We talk about creationism in terms of folktales, myths, religious myths, etc. We've read many dozens of creation stories.

We haven't broached this particular issue, but yes. Though when relevant, I do make my own beliefs clear... when they are clear. I'm honest with my children. It might be more problematic if we weren't part of a diverse group of people with different beliefs, both spiritual and otherwise.

I am comfortable with the idea of there being many faces of truth. "Some people believe this," and "others believe that," and "I believe this," is not the same as saying "I am right and they are wrong," or "if they're not wrong, I must be." Why I am comfortable with my views is a whole other discussion, and one I'm willing to have with them.

I don't look at it that way. I see it all being a part of the story. Objective truth or untruth is important, but not, I think, something we can claim 100% in matters of morality and personal beliefs.

Truth exists and I want to teach my kids that it does.

How do you know this?

That's a rhetorical question, btw.

But I also want them to know that beliefs are different from truth and that no matter how sincere or passionate someone can be about their beliefs, they can be wrong.

Now that I think I can agree with. If I were rude, I'd say this to most religious people I know. But I'm not rude.

I think it's also important to distinguish between beliefs and feelings, and facts and rational opinions (based on logic rather than faith). I know there's a tendency to use all these interchangeably...but they're not the same at all.

But mostly I want to teach them that it is real people that hold these beliefs, with fears and hurts and hearts that God longs for.

And here's where I get off the train. I don't believe in a God. Am I correct in assuming that you're equating God with truth? Because that doesn't follow as far as I'm concerned.

Consequently, rather than dominating others with our "version of reality," we should accept all beliefs as equally valid. Openness without the restraint of reason, and tolerance without moral appraisal are the new postmodern mandates.

No, I don't agree with this, & I'm not certain it's a hallmark of postmodernism. Interestingly, where I have heard this argument about "all beliefs being valid" is from creationists trying to add creationism &/or religion to the public school curriculum.

Edited by hornblower
messed up multiquote

Just another vote of yes, yes, and yes. For all the reasons other posters have stated so well, I do teach my son that there are opposing viewpoints, and what they are.

Most of these discussion come up naturally, and are not "scheduled." For example, just this week we are discussing Hinduism and Buddhism, because that happens to coincide with our reading on Ancient India. We discussed Confucianism last week when we covered Ancient China. In these discussions, we also compared/contrasted them to Judaism, Islam, and Christianity. (We compared and contrasted not only the ideology of these religions, but also their origins. Putting the origins of a religion in context with the events occurring in that place at that time adds a much deeper understanding of it, IMO.)

The same goes for the creation/evolution/old earth/young earth debate, abortion/when-life-begins controversies, and other multi-faceted social or moral issues (homosexuality/gay marriage, premarital sex/pornography, drug & alcohol use, etc.). We discuss these things as they come up, but don't make a point of saying, "Today we're going to discuss XYZ." (OK, I do do that when we study other world religions, but that's a little different than moral/social issues.)

I don't shy away from presenting opposing views, but always discuss them through the lens of our own belief system, and only to the level that he can handle at his age.

This is also what we do in our home, with the exception that we explain that it's what "we" believe as a family/Christian/whatever group, not just what I believe personally. We live in communities and not just in our own mind, so we make sure that our children realize why we believe as we do.

Right now we don't go out of our way to teach about other religions. As they come up in our curriculum we discuss them and compare to our believe system.

We teach evolution and creationism. But I believe they can co-exist and teach it as such.

This one has not come up yet. When the time comes we will discuss it all.

Yes, I believe it is important to question everything religion teaches. If you never question how can you find your path?

The only danger I see is them choosing a different path than the one I have chosen. That is more my problem than theirs. It has to do with what I want vs. what they want. Dh and I believe in giving a solid foundation in our beliefs and that is the main focus but the long term goal is that they will be able to use that foundation to find their path to G-d.

Yes. You can't make an informed decision if you don't have all the choices.

If my children choose a different path then I will do my best to support their decision.

Evolution is science. We talk about creationism in terms of folktales, myths, religious myths, etc. We've read many dozens of creation stories.

Evolution is a myth created by those that don't want to believe in God. I teach the science of the intricities and organization of intelligent design.

But I also want them to know that beliefs are different from truth and that no matter how sincere or passionate someone can be about their beliefs, they can be wrong. Now that I think I can agree with. If I were rude, I'd say this to most religious people I know. But I'm not rude.

I think it's also important to distinguish between beliefs and feelings, and facts and rational opinions (based on logic rather than faith). I know there's a tendency to use all these interchangeably...but they're not the same at all.

Though this is true with some religious beliefs, some incredibly intelligent and educated people have had the facts presented to them and have decided that what the believe religiously is the truth.

Consider, for example, what the Bible says about our planet in space. --Job 26:7 Compare this with Isaiah’s statement, when he says: "There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth." (Isaiah 40:22)

The water cycle—Ecclesiastes 1:7

The history of mountains--Psalm 104:6, 8.

Health and sanitation. (Leviticus 13:52) (Deuteronomy 23:12, 13)

How can the theory of evolution be tested? The most obvious way is to examine the fossil record to see if a gradual change from one kind to another really happened. Is there evidence for this? No, as a number of scientists honestly admit. One, Francis Hitching, writes: "When you look for links between major groups of animals, they simply aren’t there." Evolutionists have then come up with alternatives to Darwin’s theory of gradual change.

I do not appreciate my truth being called a myth and a feeling.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Evolution is a myth created by those that don't want to believe in God. I teach the science of the intricities and organization of intelligent design.

To each house their own. :) I'm not going to debate in this thread as I was answering a question about what we do personally.

Do & teach whatever you choose in the privacy of your own home, but I do not think this is the appropriate place for this type of inflammatory language. I say inflammatory, because your statement may affect some who frequent these boards the same as if I (or anyone else) were to say: Creation is a myth created by those that don't want to believe in science.

Or God is a myth created by those who cannot determine right from wrong independently.

Truth exists and I want to teach my kids that it does. . . . Our understanding of truth may be relative, but truth is not.

In terms of evolution, we accept miro changes but see no evidence of drastic changes.

Okay, I'm just wondering why the first two quotes seemed to be okay with Lovedtodeath, but the one from nmoira sparked this:

As I see it, this thread is not about debating the Truth, but about discussing how we educate our children. I'm enjoying reading the other responses and would personally appreciate it if the thread didn't veer off in an unpleasant direction.

Yes, yes, and Yes, but I will absolutely point out that some beliefs are unethical, regardless how much someone believes them to be ok ;). I would feel morally bankrupt if I didn't point out that it is WRONG to sell a person, hold them as slaves, or use them against their will.

{{and ftr, it is that last one that I think is the strongest argument FOR abortion rights, but even it has some holes....}}

I do think Hornblower and others are dead on: beliefs are different from truth and that no matter how sincere or passionate someone can be about their beliefs, they can be wrong. distinguish between beliefs and feelings, and facts and rational opinions...

like PiCO, I've done the devil's advocate thing too, but my kids know which sides I'm on. for the bigger issues anyway.

Honestly, I don't know anyone who is "pro abortion." And I can't think of any arguments "for abortion." What most people who do not identify as "pro-life" believe is that this should be a private choice.

i think "abortion-rights" is the more correct term. Unfortunately "private choice" isn't at the heart of the matter and obfuscates the real issue --everyone already has choices.

The crux is *which choice* we are discussing: whether you are supportive of allowing one human to kill another under a specific circumstance: development in the womb.

You either support the "private" choice OF abortion [which ALWAYS directly affects another human's life], or you don't.

I do think "pro-life" should be more correctly termed as "anti-abortion" too, both terms are so culturally steeped in the media it would take years to set it straight. But since the choice itself is a very specific one, i prefer to see terms that speak to that specificity:

pro-abortion [rights]

anti-abortion [rights]

pro:

1 : an argument or evidence in affirmation <an appraisal of the pros and cons>

2 : the affirmative side or one holding it

so "pro-abortion" doesn't necessarily mean that people support abortion OVER any other choice. ;)

i was really going somewhere more on topic with all of this.....

oh yeah!

back to the OP:

I do think it behooves our studies to keep a tight rein on what the issues are [watch out for those rabbit trails!!], but a big perspective on the people involved in those issues.

I teach science, but also that scientists have a history of being Wrong. :lol:

I teach Christian Scripture, but don't need to drag down other denominations or religions.

I teach the sides of the abortion issue, but point out that humans have [and will likely continue to have] a long history of believing it is right to kill another human: but we are all human, we all make mistakes, and in God's eyes my sins are just as bad as anyone else's.

good discussion ;)

Edited by Peek a Boo
oops- science is never wrong; data is just misinterpreted a lot ;)

I have never kept opposing viewpoints from my dc but address them as they come up.

As far as a fear of losing them to an opposing viewpoint; in spiritual matters I believe it is only the Holy Spirit who can open their eyes so I pray toward that end.

Do & teach whatever you choose in the privacy of your own home, but I do not think this is the appropriate place for this type of inflammatory language. I say inflammatory, because your statement may affect some who frequent these boards the same as if I (or anyone else) were to say: Creation is a myth created by those that don't want to believe in science.

Or God is a myth created by those who cannot determine right from wrong independently.

What??? I said what I did by turning around what was already said. By saying what I did, I was pointing out the inflammatory language of the post that I quoted.

Moira, thanks for being congenial with your response to my response. (Is that a sentence? lol)

Edited by Lovedtodeath

What??? I said what I did by turning around what was already said. I was pointing out the inflammatory language of the post that I quoted.
:chillpill:

We were talking about what we do in our own households. I'm sorry if I didn't sufficiently couch or qualify my language about what I personally believe and how I interact with my own children. I didn't realize that was necessary. However, I didn't make a single statement or judgment about others' beliefs, including yours. I also managed not to be offended by others' discussing what they perceive as truth or fact.

Moira, I think you are handling it nicely. Of course when we are talking about what we believe as truth and how we handle other things, we will have slip ups in the wording.

I was merely pointing out that the general sentiments of this board usually let your slip up by, but if I turn it around and say the same thing with the opposite view then it is pounced upon as a derogatory remark.

1.Do you teach your children about other religions? Christians, do you teach them about Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Paganism, etc.? Pagans, do you teach about these other religions as well? Muslims, do teach about the others? Etc., etc. Yes, but within a Biblical framework. In other words, this is Truth and that is a distortion of the truth.

2.Do you teach about opposing scientific views? Creationists, do you teach about evolution? Evolutionists, do you teach about creationism? Yes, but we are not teaching them as "equal" theories but rather one is God's explanation for our origin and one is man's humanistic attempt at explaining his origins.

3.Do you teach opposing moral/social beliefs? No. I teach right and wrong according to Scripture. Then we explain how some people choose to reject that moral code.

We believe in Absolute Truth. We do not believe that all belief systems and all moral codes are equal. We do, however, believe that all people are worthy of respect. So we teach the Truth of Scripture and we respect those who choose not to live by Scripture.

We spend quite a bit of time teaching perspective or worldview. For example, during the election, I received various campaign literature. We compared and contrasted the agendas behind that literature and compared all of it to Scripture. We explain how people arrive at different decisions based on their worldview and how important it is to have a Biblical worldview as your foundation so that you are not easily swayed by the philosophies of the world.