Menu

Skirt logistics question

I have a question for all dress and skirt wearers.  They look really cute and cool for summer, but I keep thinking, "aren't they all wearing shorts or bicycle shorts under all of those, so they are really like wearing two bottoms, which would be hot?"  And also some may need a slip.  That's a lot of layers.  How do you stay as cool as you look?  And if no bottoms, do you not have wind?  We have a lot of wind here.

I don’t wear shorts under mine. Occasionally a slip but it’s lightweight too, so not so hot. Also, having air swirling around your legs and all is cooling. Wind isn’t too bad here. When I lived in a windier place, skirts that were longer and less swirly were in order.

I wear very short and soft bicycle shorts under all skirts and dresses. They are a bit bigger than boy short underwear and I use them as underwear/ insurance as I don't want to have to worry about accidently flashing someone. I don't own a slip of any kind.

• Like 2

I don’t wear shorts.

i have two fairly short hiking skirts that are made of slightly stiff quick dry layers.  They are a bit A line, and the wind does not blow them up.

Then I also have skirts or dresses that land just below the knee, and even if it’s windy I’ve never had them blow up far enough to be a problem.

I find them both a lot more comfortable than shorts and much cooler than jeans.

Posted (edited)

Never worn shorts under dresses. I wear a lot of dresses and skirts, both above knee and long, am active, and we do have wind, but never once did I have a situation where my underwear was exposed.

Obviously rock climbing or working on ladders would require a skort or shorts under the dress, but everyday life, including hiking, nope.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

No shorts & no slip. I’m careful that my dresses aren’t transparent. The fabric has more to do with how it settles around your body than does a slip & different fabrics look & act differently on the different body types. That’s why I can love a dress on the hanger and have it look awful when I try it on. 

• Like 2

I wear shorts bc my 5 & 6 year olds have special needs & I often need to get on the floor with them. I don’t find it’s hot at all because they’re wicking material. If anything I get more sweaty & sticky when I don’t wear them. 

Also, growing up in Florida with a dad who loved the woods & insisted we wear jeans, boots, and long sleeve woven shirts instead of more bug spray,  even when it was 100 degrees and 99% humidity… you can get used to about anything. 

• Like 2

Growing up near the equator, I am used to hot and humid weather. PE shorts goes under school uniforms because the school uniform skirt is the flare kind and susceptible to wind gush. Pencil skirts tend to be less susceptible to wind though even when material is light. 

I don't wear undershorts -- if I expect to be exposed to a lot of wind (such as an all-day outdoor activity, or having checked the weather) I just choose something else to wear that day.

But I'm also not that modest. If I get an accidental skirt flip in a parking lot or whatever, I just say 'whoops' and push/hold it down. If somebody got a glimpse of my 45yo behind in its cotton granny panties, I don't find that I feel terribly more exposed than I would have if I'd had little shorts covering a couple of extra square inches. I'm likely to apologize for a 'nobody wants to see that' moment more than I am to feel like I've been humiliated.

I do use antiperspirant on my inner thighs to prevent rubbing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, regentrude said:

Never worn shorts under dresses. I wear a lot of dresses and skirts, both above knee and long, am active, and we do have wind, but never once did I have a situation where my underwear was exposed.

Obviously rock climbing or working on ladders would require a skort or shorts under the dress, but everyday life, including hiking, nope.

Same for me, no shorts or slips, and no issues. Although I rarely wear dresses, mainly skirts.

• Like 1

I wear women's boxer shorts under most dresses and skirts. I have a couple of summer dresses that are totally see through and usually wear capri leggings with them. The above brand is very comfortable. I also have some that I purchased at Walmart years ago, they're no heavier than really undies. I haven't worn a slip in ages. 

I wore bike shorts when I was heavier and had sensory issues with my thighs rubbing together.  I’m skinny enough now that I don’t have that problem so I don’t wear shorts anymore.  
Most of my skirts are long enough they aren’t going to flip up. A couple of my dresses aren’t but maybe it’s just not very windy where I live. I’ve never had one flip up.

I typically wear little shorts - like bike shorts under my skirts - mostly so my thighs don't rub together. I find it cooler than wearing pants - A. the material is a much lighter weight than any of my pants, and it is very much shorter than any of my pants/crops/etc.  I only wear slips if the skirt material is thin/see-thru, but I try not to have those. 

I’m one that needs to wear shorts under skirts otherwise my thighs rub uncomfortably.  There are a few things designed to go just around your thighs to prevent rubbing but I haven’t tried those yet.  I don’t think skirts are actually cooler than shorts and  a tank top, I just think they look nicer.  

Posted (edited)

I cannot wear a skirt or dress without something underneath.  Way too uncomfortable for walking around.  I wore a basic black pullover dress from morning tonight walking around Chicago recently, very comfy!  

Jockey makes a product called skimmies that is perfect for this.  Good coverage, Very lightweight and cool.  And if they peek out occassionally, they just look like bike shorts.  

https://www.jockey.com/catalog/product/skimmies-slipshort?isSale=TrueColor=4658?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&ef_id=Cj0KCQjwpZWzBhC0ARIsACvjWRMG0OxrKGyOxwSpHnGjfBwWo_F7FNRsJ6mzJZ1n5aaQqGHRQq2zfawaAqPHEALw_wcB:G:s&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NE | PMAX | Shopping | Priority Products | US&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpZWzBhC0ARIsACvjWRMG0OxrKGyOxwSpHnGjfBwWo_F7FNRsJ6mzJZ1n5aaQqGHRQq2zfawaAqPHEALw_wcB

Edited by catz

I don't wear short under a skirt.  If it is a breezy day and I will be outside for a long period of time, I don't wear a billowy skirt--not only for modesty reasons but I don't want to be dealing with fabric wrapping around me, flying in my face, etc.  I wear a lot of scooter skirts and looser capri pants in the summer.  I live in a hot, sticky climate and I find the extra waistband of shorts under clothing hot and uncomfortable.  I don't think I have had the ocassion to wear a slip since COVID.  Many of my professional skirts are lined.  I don't have many places where I wear a skirt that I am concerned someone might see that I have legs underneath the skirt if the light is shining just right.  

I almost always wear bike shorts under skirts and dresses. But I get up and down off the floor a lot with littles. In a different phase of life, I might not think it's as necessary. I don't wear things that need slips. I can't tell a temp difference between wearing shorts and not wearing shorts underneath.

4 hours ago, bolt. said:

I don't wear undershorts -- if I expect to be exposed to a lot of wind (such as an all-day outdoor activity, or having checked the weather) I just choose something else to wear that day.

But I'm also not that modest. If I get an accidental skirt flip in a parking lot or whatever, I just say 'whoops' and push/hold it down. If somebody got a glimpse of my 45yo behind in its cotton granny panties, I don't find that I feel terribly more exposed than I would have if I'd had little shorts covering a couple of extra square inches. I'm likely to apologize for a 'nobody wants to see that' moment more than I am to feel like I've been humiliated.

I do use antiperspirant on my inner thighs to prevent rubbing.

Pretty much the same.  I don’t wear shorts under dresses and I haven’t worn a slip in 40 years. I don’t buy dresses that require a slip.  I am determined to wear more cute dresses this year instead of jeans or shorts. It is so much cooler.  

• Like 1

I always wear shorts under skirts and dresses. They aren't hot- they're kind of like underwear and are made to go under skirts. My skirts/dresses can be kind of short and I feel safer with shorts on. They also help replace a slip for any see through issues although I occasionally wear a slip with the shorts if it's needed. 

I don't wear dresses or skirts often casually- usually only for nights out. 

I also always wear shorts under skirts or dresses but not for modesty, but for thigh rub and comfort.    I wear shorts that are shorter and tighter than I would wear without something covering them so a skirt/dress looks a lot nicer and I don't find it any warmer than the shorts would be on their own. 

I would wear skirts and dresses more, but I'm outdoors working so much that it is not practical. I've yet to find skirts that work well around barbed wire, climbing over gates, squatting underneath a cow, and the other nonsense that I get into on a daily basis, and I hate changing clothes several times a day based upon what I need to do. So it's loose fitting athletic shorts for me most of the summer. 

I didn't wear pants for years and years, only skirts. The key for me was long and full.

Long skirts won't blow all the way up even on a windy day. 🙂

The fullness was for comfort and (in the summer) air circulation. I didn't buy summer skirts that required a slip--so, I looked for medium weight cotton or gauze (my favorite!) or even light denim. I did have a few pairs of 100% cotton bike short length undergarments when I first started wearing skirts, but found they were really unnecessary. You can also buy cotton and chiffon (very airy!) slips on Amazon and they are quite cool.

I still wear exclusively skirts in the summer. They are SO much easier to shop for than shorts and very flattering. They feel so comfortable--the only thing I feel when wearing them is a soft elastic waistband. Ahhh.... 🙂 

• Like 2

I wear bike shorts a lot of the time, and here's why. First of all, chub rub. If I know I'm going to be walking a lot, I want that protection. Second of all, I wear full, 50s style, knee-length skirts and dresses almost exclusively, and they like to fly up in even the slightest wind. Lightweight shorts underneath make me more comfortable in every way, and because the skirts are so breezy, I don't feel hot from the extra layer at all.

• Like 1