Menu

Do you like this expression or not?

Amethyst

Do you like this expression or not?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this expression or not?

• Yes
    • No
    • Obligatory other

Growing up, whenever someone bought a car and we were all excited to see their new car and congratulate them, the expression of congratulations was, “ I wish you health to enjoy it!”  

As I have gotten older and moved away from my family of origin, I never hear anyone say this. And I’m hesitant to use it. While I think it is a way of wishing them well and keeping priorities straight, I can see how it could be a bit of a downer.

What do you think?

I voted no, I don't like it, but mostly because I think it sounds a bit jarring and out of place. A bit formal, even. 

We've lived in three states and have family in several other states, and I've never heard this. Not in real life and not on the internet. 

There's nothing wrong with it, per se, but I'd probably switch to something more common and casual. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Quill said:

I would think it was a backhanded remark, kind of like when someone see your big new house and says, “It’s huge; I hope you have a cleaning service!” 

1 hour ago, Katy said:

With the backstory, it’s sweet. Without I’d wonder if it’s the backwards-compliment version of a curse. 

Yes, these are sort of why I’ve hesitated to use it as an adult. 

53 minutes ago, SKL said:

I haven't heard it, so I would probably wonder what was meant by it, but tone would trump words, I think.  We all have different family expressions.  🙂

Yes, I think the tone is key. 

• Like 1

I voted no, because that would be my initial take on it. In my family culture (the one I grew up in), you don't say potential future negative things about people. It is thought to bring bad luck. There would b a phrase my mom or grandmother would say to me that I don't know how to translate (I know the feeling/thought behind it but I haven't figured out an English translation).

I don't think I would be actually offended if someone said that to me. I'd probably make a face initially then realize I'm bringing some cultural baggage to the situation and brush it off. 

2 minutes ago, Clarita said:

I voted no, because that would be my initial take on it. In my family culture (the one I grew up in), you don't say potential future negative things about people. It is thought to bring bad luck. There would b a phrase my mom or grandmother would say to me that I don't know how to translate (I know the feeling/thought behind it but I haven't figured out an English translation).

*touch wood* (dai ge lai see in Cantonese) 

It depends on the tone of the person saying though whether it’s more sarcasm or tongue in cheek. 

Just now, Arcadia said:

*touch wood* (dai ge lai see in Cantonese) 

It depends on the tone of the person saying though whether it’s more sarcasm or tongue in cheek. 

Yes. There is also "choi goi lei". I was probably too young when I immigrated, it never dawned on me it was sarcasm or tongue in cheek. So, I have no ground to stand on to be offended because well it's not even really cultural. (I'm not mad. It wouldn't be the first time I took sarcasm or over the top thing my mom and grandmother says to be truth and was absolutely wrong.)  

I don't hate it and I don't love it.  It would really come down to who was saying it and my relationship with them.  I know people who are the light of the world, and if one of them said it then I would consider it a sincere and loving comment.  If anyone else in my life said it, I might dwell on their exact intentions and whether it was a bit snarky.

On 2/26/2023 at 8:06 PM, YaelAldrich said:

A Jewish phrase that is similar is, "Use it in good health!" I never thought of it as a bad thing, but now that it brought up I could see how it could be used in a not kind manner...

Hmmm.

This. I have heard “Use it in good health!” Always said in such a way that I interpreted it as meaning wishes for future good health (tone, expression). But I can see some people might say it in a way that comes across differently.

I don’t use that phrase though, and I think I only hear it from an older generation.

• Like 1