Menu

what do you guys know about working on a food truck?

ProudGrandma

My 21 year old son has the opportunity to work on Fish N Chips food truck this summer in Wyoming.   We don't know a lot about the situation yet, but this is what we do know.  

There are 4 guys to a truck and he is pretty sure he and 2 of his college friends plus one more.  3 guys go out at a time (a week at a time) while the 4th guy gets a week off. 

The guys are responsible to buy all of their food the whole summer.  

When they are working, the company pays for a hotel room (not sure the quality of the hotel room), but not on the weekends or during your week off. 

There MIGHT be a possibility that the boys can stay with someone one of the college friends knows, but we don't know yet...and if not, we don't know what they will do.  The one friend did this 2 years ago and at the time the truck's homebase was close to his parent's home....but they have since moved further away and that is not an option....and we are even further than they are.   If they can stay with the friend's friend....my son won't know them...and on his week off he will be in this home (without his own transportation) without his friends.  Knowing my son, that might be really awkward. 

The pay was (and maybe still is) $9 and hour plus tips.  So not predictable, but potentially really good. 

My son worked as a checkout person at a store his senior year of high school and hated standing in one place the whole time...his feet really hurt.  I am not so sure this job is going to be much different, will it? 

I also know that as a 21 year old guy he doesn't want to come home for the summer and he is looking for an adventure.  But he also wants to bank as much money as he can.   The potential for money at this job is pretty good....but there are those hidden costs...and what if the tips are crappy this summer (compared to his friend's experience 2 years ago)?  

I think about the heat inside the truck and the long hours....some days driving for 6 hours, then setting the truck and selling for 8 hours.  Then the next day you do something similar...drive to the next town and do it all over again. 

But....I also am sure I don't know all of the story....so if anybody here has had any experience with this, I would greatly appreciate your input.  Thanks. 

Low pay, long hours, weird living arrangements. Nah.

Here kids are getting much more than that working in fast food, $15 starting pay. Your area may vary, but put the word out that he'll be available. My kids started looking for summer jobs in their early college summers during the prior Christmas or Spring Break, filling out apps, going in and talking to managers, etc. 

By their junior and senior years, they were at jobs in their college towns, by referrals from their university. (Not always professional jobs, but jobs nonetheless.) 

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 7

I’m sure with food trucks becoming more popular that tipping is catching up, but our experience is more like a tip jar where people stuff a dollar or two. 
The housing would be my biggest concern. They need somewhere two days a week plus their week off. If all four can find a place to share it might work, but I doubt it would enable him to save a whole lot. 
Honestly, spending the summer at home, working, and saving money sounds like a great idea. Room and board, all the amenities…

Hope it works out for him, though. It’ll probably provide lots of stories to tell his own kids one day. 

• Like 1

We have some friends who have a food truck.
It is miserable when it is hot, it is miserable when it is cold. We are in TX, so maybe 4 weeks of the year it is pleasant, temperature-wise, to work in it.
You must (in our state) have some food service training (sounds pretty short, fairly inexpensive). 
Our food truck rules in our community are a little restrictive - you must have a dedicated commercial kitchen (not the food truck but a permanent commercial kitchen like in a restaurant, school, etc). Here you must be invited to go to someplace before you can set up there. 
Tips aren't great. No delivery, and unless you already have a following, you might not get a bunch of customers. 
It is a small metal box. In the summer. Parked wherever (unusually not shade). It does not sound like an adventure to me. Not the type I'd be interested in anyway. And certainly not for $9/hr + tips. It would have to be a lot more guaranteed salary + tips. 

• Like 3

Low pay. Bad hours. Likely uncomfortable working conditions. Housing is sketchy, and he will have to cover a large part of it. But the kicker — when he’s off for a week, his friends won’t be. 

And I always think that employers who pay low wages in not great work scenarios are not going to be great.

I knew people who would spend the summer at Glacier Park working — pay wasn’t great, but they had free rooms. They liked it, mostly, but they could go in groups and have off time with friends hiking.

I also knew a guy who spent every summer on Alaskan fishing boats. He made a lot, for a college student, and the pay offset the not great parts.

This food truck seems like the worst of both of those. Not great pay, not great living conditions, not extra time with friends for fun to make up for the other stuff.

• Like 6

Nope. Too way many unknowns, low pay. Far from home without his own vehicle, nope. My Dd17 makes $16/hr working in a salad restaurant and kids we know who wait tables in sit-down restaurants make well over $25/hr. Lifeguarding, yardwork, and nannying all make good money here, easily double or triple the food truck rate. Even day camp counselors here make $12-15/hr. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

Just on the tips-  I work in an industry that used to see tips with most clients.  Tips are so rare now it stands out if anyone tips.  Two hair stylist I know say the same thing in their industry.  I would tell him tips are going to be few if any most days.  But honestly, the rest of deal they have been offered is really negative.  I wouldn’t take it and I would tell me kids to really think three times on it. 

• Like 2

$9.00/hour even with tips on top is pretty miserable.  I guess the whole summer could be a blast but the money won't be great.  Ditto what others say about the heat.   Is the fish fresh in Wyoming?  He will smell like fryolater and fish all summer...

Two other options:

Landscaping = outdoors, physical work, good pay.

Trail crews at national parks = hard work, interesting people, outside, chance to work in a government setting to see if they like it, not as good pay but all the parks are desperate for help and some offer housing.

Edited by Eos
  • Like 3

First off...thanks for all of the responses....I am glad to know that I am not out of my mind to think this is not the best, smartest idea my son has ever had.  I also appreciate the alternatives shared.  That is what we have been trying to do for him....come up with alternatives.   He shares a car with his younger brother (which works great at college since they are at the same school), but if one boy goes one direction and the other goes another....who gets the vehicle?  Last year my older son work in our small town as the summer town lawn mower....but when July hit, we got no more rain....and the grass stopped growing and there was no mowing to be done, so his job basically stopped.  He doesn't want a weather dependent job because of that.  (he had the same job the year before and we got so much rain he couldn't mow because the grass was always so wet....)

We live about an hour away from any large town...and the smaller ones around here can only get minimum wage and he wants more than that.  (both boys do actually, but my younger son is happy to come home and figure something out. )

We see that Walmart is always hiring....at $18 an hour...so that is a possible job...but no adventure in that. To work at a place like Cedar point would be fun...but lodging is an issue...

But thanks again....I greatly appreciate your thoughts.  You guys are always great. 

• Like 1

I'm going to admit that when I read it, I could totally see a 20 year old thinking it was an adventure while a 30 year old would consider it torture 😆  I'd be pushing for an alternative,  but it probably wouldn't be as adventurous!  

Local stores, live at home, eat at home, bank money. 

Find a vacation town and apply to jobs that sound fun.  A lot of times several workers will bunk in a rental.  

National parks, summer camps, outdoor stuff?  

Ask your professors if they know of any internships or interesting opportunities for their field of study.  

Stay at school and take summer classes so he graduates earlier.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kfeusse said:

First off...thanks for all of the responses....I am glad to know that I am not out of my mind to think this is not the best, smartest idea my son has ever had.  I also appreciate the alternatives shared.  That is what we have been trying to do for him....come up with alternatives.   He shares a car with his younger brother (which works great at college since they are at the same school), but if one boy goes one direction and the other goes another....who gets the vehicle?  Last year my older son work in our small town as the summer town lawn mower....but when July hit, we got no more rain....and the grass stopped growing and there was no mowing to be done, so his job basically stopped.  He doesn't want a weather dependent job because of that.  (he had the same job the year before and we got so much rain he couldn't mow because the grass was always so wet....)

We live about an hour away from any large town...and the smaller ones around here can only get minimum wage and he wants more than that.  (both boys do actually, but my younger son is happy to come home and figure something out. )

We see that Walmart is always hiring....at $18 an hour...so that is a possible job...but no adventure in that. To work at a place like Cedar point would be fun...but lodging is an issue...

But thanks again....I greatly appreciate your thoughts.  You guys are always great. 

Cedar Point has dorms for employees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kfeusse said:

Do you happen to know what they pay?

No, I don't have any recent information, unfortunately. I was offered a job there one summer in college, but didn't go, and that was decades ago. A friend did work there one summer and enjoyed it, I think. I know that they used to have to work long hours; not sure what the conditions are now. During the first year of the pandemic, they couldn't find employees and were paying high wages, but that may have settled back down now.

Tips 2 years ago were inflated due to Covid. I know a lot of people who were doubling tips or higher, for people working in the service industry. That was the year of all the subsidies, Covid checks and extra $$ attached to unemployment. 2 years ago, so many restaurants were closed, the ones that were open did record business. I don't think that is really true anymore in our area. This year the economy is struggling, people are suffering through high food, fuel and housing prices. I would be reluctant to take a tip based job! Especially if he has to live out of a suitcase, pay for food, and possibly pay for housing on his off days. If he does stay with someone on the weekends, he will still need to pay them something for food (or not eat there) and possibly chip to help offset them living there 2-3 days a week all summers (probably gets hotel for 4 nights if he works 5 days). 

• Like 6

There are summer adventure jobs to be had in beach towns or in Alaska for more money. This truck sounds like a horrible idea and nobody wants fishy-smelling guys living with them. It’s a good time in life to take the weird job but this one doesn’t sound good. Someone will quit and the hours for the remaining guys will be brutal. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tap said:

Tips 2 years ago were inflated due to Covid. I know a lot of people who were doubling tips or higher, for people working in the service industry. That was the year of all the subsidies, Covid checks and extra $$ attached to unemployment. 2 years ago, so many restaurants were closed, the ones that were open did record business. I don't think that is really true anymore in our area. This year the economy is struggling, people are suffering through high food, fuel and housing prices. I would be reluctant to take a tip based job! Especially if he has to live out of a suitcase, pay for food, and possibly pay for housing on his off days. If he does stay with someone on the weekends, he will still need to pay them something for food (or not eat there) and possibly chip to help offset them living there 2-3 days a week all summers (probably gets hotel for 4 nights if he works 5 days). 

Thank you for this.....I didn't quite put all of this together like you said.(the Covid related stuff) ...but that all makes so much sense.  I appreciate this perspective more than I can say.... 

My Dh did a national parks job one summer in college. Laundry was not glorious work, but lots of camping and hiking in their free time. Would need a vehicle, though.

Camp counselors don’t make big bucks, but camp is away, usually in the mountains and usually offers some fun free time things and good camaraderie. 

• Like 2

I might encourage him to sit down, see if he can figure out where this truck might be during the summer, and start calculating.

(Wages + maybe $100/week in tips) * 3 - 7 * (average motel cost in the area + $25 (two meals/day) = monthly savings/cost

Is he going to want to do anything during his off week vs stay in hotel and watch TV/swim in their pool (assuming they have one and it is decent)? If he wants to explore, add in cost of rental car (assuming he can rent one at his age) + gas. 

This does not sound like he will be able to save much.  

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I might encourage him to sit down, see if he can figure out where this truck might be during the summer, and start calculating.

(Wages + maybe $100/week in tips) * 3 - 7 * (average motel cost in the area + $25 (two meals/day) = monthly savings/cost

Is he going to want to do anything during his off week vs stay in hotel and watch TV/swim in their pool (assuming they have one and it is decent)? If he wants to explore, add in cost of rental car (assuming he can rent one at his age) + gas. 

This does not sound like he will be able to save much.  

that's a good idea.   It doesn't help our cause that his friend did this 2 years ago with "great success' and is not pushing our son really, but highly encouraging him with the "fun" stories....and we are trying to pull him back to reality.  Our son has made some "not so good" decisions in recent years....nothing illegal or immoral or anything like that...but like wasting a lot of money and being somewhat lazy....and we didn't want to add this decision to THAT list....but he is the kind of kid who sometimes has to learn things the hard way....so we are of the mind set to help him get the information needed to make this decision....and let him make it....and deal with any consequences there might be.  

• Like 6

I’ve recently seen advertisement for temporary US Forest Service jobs too.

National Parks are so much more than the 70 or so big ones with National Park in the title, there are 300+ National Rec sites, National Monuments, etc which are run by NPS. They have lots of temporary positions they need filled seasonally.

• Like 3

Like everyone else, I think it sounds like a terrible idea. I also think it could end up being less hours that promised. Bad weather so truck closed early and hours cut. Truck has mechanical issues to be dealt with so it isn’t open for a couple days. Health department finds issues so it has to correct something etc. Seriously so many things wrong with this plan but of course you know that. I also think sometimes you have to let certain kinds of kids learn these things for themselves so if you are dealing with one of those, bless you! 

I knew a guy in college a million years ago who drove the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile all over one summer. I have seen that job advertised in recent years when looking for things for my kids. Maybe something like that would be more reputable? I second the ideas of working camps. That is hard work with long hours but you are away from home having an adventure. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bambam said:

We have some friends who have a food truck.
It is miserable when it is hot, it is miserable when it is cold. We are in TX, so maybe 4 weeks of the year it is pleasant, temperature-wise, to work in it.
You must (in our state) have some food service training (sounds pretty short, fairly inexpensive). 
Our food truck rules in our community are a little restrictive - you must have a dedicated commercial kitchen (not the food truck but a permanent commercial kitchen like in a restaurant, school, etc). Here you must be invited to go to someplace before you can set up there. 
Tips aren't great. No delivery, and unless you already have a following, you might not get a bunch of customers. 
It is a small metal box. In the summer. Parked wherever (unusually not shade). It does not sound like an adventure to me. Not the type I'd be interested in anyway. And certainly not for $9/hr + tips. It would have to be a lot more guaranteed salary + tips. 

Yep. I don't know anyone who tips at a food truck in my area. All the employees are doing is handing you food out the window. I don't tip at fast food drive-throughs either. My two who worked at fast food establishments were paid a (non-skilled) competitive hourly wage, but no tips.  The one exception to this was one of my kids who worked a shaved ice stand one summer, part-time. As an art major, she founds ways to doll up the shaved ice cones with special flourishes, and parents would appreciate her efforts. (She developed a bit of a following, and people figured out how to tip her individually.) 

I have no idea if the Wyoming food truck is servicing natural gas fields or something like that; rustabouts (or whatever they are called) may be an entirely different clientele...I have no idea what's in that area.

Edited by Halftime Hope

Sounds awful to me, but also your 20s is a great time to have adventures and make mistakes. Although my 20s set me up for a great 30s, there are times when I wish I was just a touch more adventurous and have crazy stories to tell my kids. Now my craziest story was I went to Hawaii with a weeks notice in my 20s.

Sounds pretty terrible to me and pay isn’t good really. 

If he wants adventure, have him check out seasonal jobs here in Alaska. Pay is good, lodging is often included and there are so many varieties of jobs available around the state.

https://www.coolworks.com/alaska-jobs?gclid=CjwKCAiA3KefBhByEiwAi2LDHOItHu0E6N9k_hFBL6eoLtXfT6Q09Ft-h999sO7T3NmYebuqvrv_rBoCu84QAvD_BwE

• Like 4

There is a lot about this plan that I like: Hanging with broskis, travel, adventure, Wyoming, food, the need to improvise survival skills, the opportunity to make a little dough (away from home).

But Fish and Chips means long hours trapped in a food truck with a deep fryer--frying fish. That can't possibly be pleasant.

In fact, that sounds like torture. 

Bill