Menu

S/o how many times per day to brush teeth?

Laura Corin

Tooth brushing? Anonymous   

103 members have voted

1. 1. How many times do you brush per day?

• Less often than once
    • Once
    • Twice
    • Three times
    • Four times
    • More than four times
    • Other
  2. 2. How many times do/did your children brush per day?

• Less often than once
    • Once
    • Twice
    • Three times
    • Four times
    • More than four times
    • Other

Me: Twice daily. When I was in school I went through an obsessive, OCD type tooth brushing phase and did a lot of damage to my gums.

DS: When he was younger and I supervised, twice daily. But he's autistic and has ADHD so he often forgets or just can't so now I'm not sure. He tries, which is the best I can hope for right now.

It varies.  Myself, usually at least 2 or 3 times, but not always with toothpaste.  My kids, at least 1x per day, possibly more depending on whether they are doing anything social in the evening etc.  (I used to make them brush 2x & floss 1x per day, but they are past the age when I force personal hygiene.)

As a kid, my folks didn't require us to brush at all.  They got us each a kiddy toothbrush at some point, but never guided us.  I suspect their folks didn't teach brushing either.  In school, once a year we'd do that red pill thing designed to horrify us into brushing more, but I didn't think much of it.  Eventually I started brushing daily for cosmetic reasons, but I don't remember what age (I assume before high school).

I suspect this is somewhat generational and somewhat cultural.

As a child, I was only taught to brush before bed. I know that I wasn't really regular even at that as a teenager. 

I brush twice unless I have a garlicky lunch, when I'll brush again. I taught my kids to brush twice.

Eta I floss every night but I'm the only person in the family who does. I also use a pointy toothbrush at night to get into the corners.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

Absolute minimum is twice a day. More often three times a day. But if I’m going somewhere or about to do something special or had garlic or am going to be up close with someone, I will probably add an extra time. 

And flossing. Every night. No exceptions. 

ETA: oh, the kids. Dunno. They’re all grown now. But I’m sure they’re at least twice a day also. As homeschoolers, they often brushed after lunch as well as morning and evening

Edited by Amethyst

Honestly, it varies. Always at bed. In the morning, it varies. What is non-negotiable is I brush it before I leave the house. Every time.  So if I leave the house 4 times, I brush 4 times. I also often brush before a Zoom meeting, which makes no sense, but in a way I equate it with leaving the house.  I brush my teeth for other people.  If I am home alone, especially when hubby was gone and I wasn't going anywhere with Covid, I didn't brush for days. 

For myself I voted other, it’s a minimum of twice daily but often a third time after a meal. 

For my kids I chose twice but I know for the years they had braces, they carried pocket toothbrushes and at least some days they used them after lunch time. When we were homeschooling the ones who had braces would brush after lunch at home. 

Twice/day (for myself).  As a child, I remember being taught to brush at night too, but my parents didn't supervise and I rarely brushed at night.  That was more of an adult habit!  My children were taught to brush twice/day, but some of them brush even more as adults.  They're a little more particular!

16 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

If I’m being completely honest, we are NOT good at morning brushing in this house. Just being honest. I easily remember the AM brushing if I’m leaving the house. Ugh. I’m terrible.

I can't wrap my mind around this. At all. I absolutely, positively can't stand not brushing my teeth in the morning. I wake up, walk to bathroom, pee, and brush my teeth. If I am awake in the morning and I haven't brushed my teeth, something is wrong. 

I was taught to brush twice a day, morning and night, and it's stuck with me. That's what I've taught our kids. And, yes, I still remind/do it for them (for the younger ones). I have no idea what DH was taught as a kid. What I know is that he has had...a lot....of cavities/teeth issues in his life. I, OTOH, have never had a cavity and would like to keep that streak up. Yes, I know genetics plays a role. 

All that being said, I basically never floss. It's a sensory thing that I can't stand. I try to encourage our kids to, but as I basically don't I feel like a hypocrite. Every time I go to the dentist they tell me I need to floss more/regularly. But then it's immediately followed with "you have the healthiest teeth I've seen in someone your age in a long time." So clearly, my mouth/teeth are doing okay without flossing. Why would I mess that delicate balance up?

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, barnwife said:

I can't wrap my mind around this. At all. I absolutely, positively can't stand not brushing my teeth in the morning. I wake up, walk to bathroom, pee, and brush my teeth. If I am awake in the morning and I haven't brushed my teeth, something is wrong. 

I was taught to brush twice a day, morning and night, and it's stuck with me. That's what I've taught our kids. And, yes, I still remind/do it for them (for the younger ones). I have no idea what DH was taught as a kid. What I know is that he has had...a lot....of cavities/teeth issues in his life. I, OTOH, have never had a cavity and would like to keep that streak up. Yes, I know genetics plays a role. 

All that being said, I basically never floss. It's a sensory thing that I can't stand. I try to encourage our kids to, but as I basically don't I feel like a hypocrite. Every time I go to the dentist they tell me I need to floss more/regularly. But then it's immediately followed with "you have the healthiest teeth I've seen in someone your age in a long time." So clearly, my mouth/teeth are doing okay without flossing. Why would I mess that delicate balance up?

Sorry, just being honest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Sorry, just being honest. 

Oh, all is good. I just can't fathom being able to stand that morning feeling in your mouth for more than .000000000000001 seconds. It's awful! To think there are people who knowingly, on a regular basis, walk around that way willingly is mind-blowing!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, barnwife said:

Oh, all is good. I just can't fathom being able to stand that morning feeling in your mouth for more than .000000000000001 seconds. It's awful! To think there are people who knowingly, on a regular basis, walk around that way willingly is mind-blowing!

Maybe not every person in the world has the same awful morning mouth feeling that you do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m particular about my own teeth.  I brush at least twice, occasionally a third time.  I almost eats floss after dinner and usually lunch.  My kids brush at least once, usually twice and floss less frequently than I’d like them to.  They are pretty good about using a nightly mouthwash with fluoride bc our town doesn’t add it to the water.  No real comment on if they should or shouldn’t, they just don’t so we add mouthwash with fluoride after some poor trips to the dentist after we moved here.  

28 minutes ago, barnwife said:

It’s ok. I was terrible as a child about brushing. Serious sensory issues. I’ve overcame it a bit, but I sure couldn’t do it on waking up.

As a kid I was taught twice a day and did that religiously.  In the last couple years I’ve dropped the AM brushing.  Dentist still gives me rave reviews.  I still make the kids brush twice a day.  I think it’s a sensory thing for me.  I stopped using toothpaste and just use olive oil soap which barely has any taste at all.  

• Like 1

Always twice

if I’m going out or eating something sticky sometimes three times 

when I had braces it was every time I ate 

edited to add in spite of that i and two kids have never ending dental issues. My DH is much more careless and rarely has any issues likewise my DD. 

Edited by Ausmumof3

Okay so I’m not the best at oral hygiene, but I’m getting better. I’m another who absolutely cannot start my day without brushing my teeth. Like the second I wake up… it’s a battle between my bladder and my mouth. Which will get relief first??? Hahaha!

I’m not as diligent at night. There are nights that I’m so exhausted that I get in bed without brushing. I’ve improved my dental hygiene by accepting that flossing in the morning or anytime at all when I’m up to it is better than not flossing at all. (For some reason I have had this idea that one must only floss before bed.)  Now I realize… if that crap is stuck in your teeth at bedtime, it’s still stuck in your teeth at noon the next day. There’s no wrong time to floss (or Waterpik). 

I will never claim any mother of the year award, but my kids always brushed twice a day. That was a non negotiable for me for some reason. I vividly remember telling a friend about one of my kids getting a cavity. She asked,” are y’all once a day or twice a day brushers?” Like…this is an option??? 😂 

9 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Maybe not every person in the world has the same awful morning mouth feeling that you do. 

Coming back to this because I was afraid when I posted last night that it sounded a bit snarky, and I really just meant it to be a factual statement. Not everyone has the same lived experience, you know? I only remembered very, very rarely having any sort of skanky morning mouth feeling. So I paid very close attention last night and this morning. Before bed I brushed, flossed and used mouth wash, which is my normal routine. After I got in bed I took close note of how my mouth felt. And I did the same thing when I woke up this morning. It didn't feel noticeably different. Of course it didn't have that totally fresh just-brushed-and-swished minty clean feeling, but in no way did it feel gross or like I needed to hurry and grab the toothbrush. It was very neutral. I think a lot has to do with whether a person snores or breathes with an open mouth or has any post nasal drip and probably other factors. I'm guessing I'm not the only person who doesn't have gross morning mouth. People are different, and that's okay.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm guessing I'm not the only person who doesn't have gross morning mouth. People are different, and that's okay.

I'll go out on a limb here and kind of disagree. I believe that everyone has gross morning mouth. Now, it may not bother some people (which is still mind-blowing), but everyone's got it. Even if the feeling of it doesn't bother you (general), it's also mind-blowing that knowing it exists and not brushing your teeth for the sake of others is a thing that people do on a regular basis. And, for me, inflicting that on others is rude and gross. Therefore, I firmly believe in grabbing your toothbrush as soon as you can in the morning.

Also, I have a vague memory of talking with some dental hygienists who said that brushing in the morning/after sleeping makes more of a difference in dental health than at other times. So now I need to go let the internet suck away my time as I discover if that's true.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, barnwife said:

Also, I have a vague memory of talking with some dental hygienists who said that brushing in the morning/after sleeping makes more of a difference in dental health than at other times. So now I need to go let the internet suck away my time as I discover if that's true.

But nobody is saying there is no need to brush at all in the morning, are they? The debate is if it’s necessary to do it the second one gets out of bed. 

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

But nobody is saying there is no need to brush at all in the morning, are they? The debate is if it’s necessary to do it the second one gets out of bed. 

I don’t brush in the morning.  And it doesn’t feel gross.  I’m not recommending my choice, but it works for me. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Coming back to this because I was afraid when I posted last night that it sounded a bit snarky, and I really just meant it to be a factual statement. Not everyone has the same lived experience, you know? I only remembered very, very rarely having any sort of skanky morning mouth feeling. So I paid very close attention last night and this morning. Before bed I brushed, flossed and used mouth wash, which is my normal routine. After I got in bed I took close note of how my mouth felt. And I did the same thing when I woke up this morning. It didn't feel noticeably different. Of course it didn't have that totally fresh just-brushed-and-swished minty clean feeling, but in no way did it feel gross or like I needed to hurry and grab the toothbrush. It was very neutral. I think a lot has to do with whether a person snores or breathes with an open mouth or has any post nasal drip and probably other factors. I'm guessing I'm not the only person who doesn't have gross morning mouth. People are different, and that's okay.

I was always taught / under the impression that night brushing was the most important.  Morning brushing was more cosmetic and I didn't feel a need to do it first thing in the morning.

Then I got a housemate who was raised differently.  She always brushed first thing every day, so it felt very wrong for her to have an un-brushed mouth.  I adopted the habit and now I feel the same way.  One of my kids won't even speak before she brushes her teeth in the morning.  So I think it's what one is used to.

I'm guessing if you adopt a habit of brushing ASAP after waking, eventually you too will feel uncomfortable if you go about your daily business without brushing.

The nice thing about this is that there is little chance of "forgetting" to brush before you have to get close to someone.

Personally I don't always brush at bedtime, though I know I should.  I keep sipping coffee right up until I go to sleep, and sometimes, I don't want to disturb the house / encourage conversation by leaving the room to brush.  This also means I fail to insert my Invisalign on those days.  It's not good, but as others have said, just being honest.  🙂

As for flossing, I want to do it every day, but in reality I don't take the time even once a week.  I do keep mini flosser picks by my work station to remove any food that gets stuck in my teeth in real time ... and if that doesn't work, I'll go use a toothbrush or other tool to get it out.  Not sure why food gets stuck in my teeth so often.

4 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I don't usually brush in the morning. I do tend to brush if I am going somewhere, or if I just want to freshen my mouth. But there are many days I only brush in the evening.

• Like 1

I voted for "twice" but a quick third brushing happens pretty often. 

When I was in primary school in the 1970s, I brushed three times a day: morning, after school, night. I'm pretty sure health class taught us to do that, but it's also possible I just wanted to get as much school off of me as I could. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, barnwife said:

I have no idea what DH was taught as a kid. What I know is that he has had...a lot....of cavities/teeth issues in his life. I, OTOH, have never had a cavity and would like to keep that streak up. Yes, I know genetics plays a role. 

I think the people who never have any dental issues like this probably just wouldn’t no matter what they did.  Case in point, the fact that you don’t floss and you still don’t have problems due to that.  I brush 3 to 4 times a day and floss, but still have issues. Same with one of my kids. I have another adult kid who has pretty poor tooth hygiene habits and has never had a cavity.

14 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Always twice

if I’m going out or eating something sticky sometimes three times 

when I had braces it was every time I ate 

edited to add in spite of that i and two kids have never ending dental issues. My DH is much more careless and rarely has any issues likewise my DD. 

Yep, in my experience, this seems pretty common. Sometimes it seems like those with tooth issues are the ones most likely to take really good care of their teeth because they’re trying to prevent those issues from getting worse, but it seems for some people, no matter what they do they can’t eliminate the problem entirely. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I just can't fathom why any reasonably well-educated about dental hygiene person would use the bathroom in the morning and not brush their teeth. It literally takes 2 minutes. And, I am going to stand by my opinion that even if an individual's mouth doesn't feel nasty to them, it is. And if you will be around other people at all, it's rude to force that on them.

7 minutes ago, barnwife said:

I just can't fathom why any reasonably well-educated about dental hygiene person would use the bathroom in the morning and not brush their teeth. It literally takes 2 minutes. And, I am going to stand by my opinion that even if an individual's mouth doesn't feel nasty to them, it is. And if you will be around other people at all, it's rude to force that on them.

You are going to *hate* how often I shower and how I stopped wearing deodorant after my pregnancies!

These choices are really individual.  And yes I’m around other people, people who would say something if there was an issue.  

• Like 3

Oh I forgot to say that I have to do a little quick scrub before exercising. I usually just use water for that. 

years ago the dentist told dh he was brushing too aggressively and hurting his gums. He suggested a switch to an electric toothbrush and no added pressure. His teeth are great and now so are his gums. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, barnwife said:

https://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/no-floss-u-s-health-department-article-1.2735915

I usually don't brush first thing in the morning because I often eat breakfast within just a few minutes of waking up.  I wait until after I eat to brush.

I often brush my teeth after lunch as well and sometimes after dinner.

And, I always brush my teeth in the evening before my bedtime shower. 

• Like 1

I'm another "can't do anything without brushing my teeth first thing" person. There have been times I've woken up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and will do a quick brush before going back to bed. DH can drink coffee before brushing his teeth and thinks I'm gross for drinking coffee after I brush. I brush before bed, and then I'll do a midday brush if I've had something extra pungent or feel the need to. I'm a diligent nightly flosser, too - my auntie is a dental hygienist, and we grew up with the fear of God put into us regarding dental hygiene!

15 hours ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

You are going to *hate* how often I shower and how I stopped wearing deodorant after my pregnancies!

These choices are really individual.  And yes I’m around other people, people who would say something if there was an issue.  

I often don't wear deodorant. When I do, it's a natural one. I almost certainly shower less often than is typical for Americans. As for whether others would say something, that's debatable. Some would and some wouldn't (even if the person in question thinks they would).