Menu

Dutch Reformed mints

Terabith

1 minute ago, Teachaheart said:

Yes. It’s right before the sermon. I live in an area with a large Dutch influence. 

Very practical.  Helps keep you awake during the sermon.  What kind of mints are they?  Are they those soft buttery mints?  I love those!

Mints AND Dutch letters are a pretty good evangelistic outreach, imo.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Teachaheart said:

That depends on the particular flavor of Calvinist. 

These are rather popular with my Reformed friends. I’m told they keep you awake and remind you of the sweetness of the message. 
F20263A0-6353-46BA-9B32-615232D1D296.jpeg.33bccd9ab325cc71aa85d0f0bd28c27d.jpeg

Okay, I'm genuinely not trying to be snarky here, but why would people who believe in predestination have a need for evangelism?  

I realize that sounds snarky, but I am asking genuinely.

• Like 1

Just now, Terabith said:

Okay, I'm genuinely not trying to be snarky here, but why would people who believe in predestination have a need for evangelism?  

My understanding is that God uses people to preach to others so that those who are predestined will hear and believe. The invitation is offered to all, but only those who are meant to will accept it. Some Reformed do seem to be evangelism-averse, but I can’t begin to speak to their reasons why beyond one person’s comment to me that the Covenant doesn’t work backwards. 
 Please understand that I left the church many years ago, so my response is based on somewhat fuzzy memories. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Because God uses means and second causes, people, to bring other people to Himself. Romans 10. 

Back to mints! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Growing up there was his elderly man who did this before the service . He did it as it was part of his childhood in church.  And since our pastor at the time couldn’t tell time and would just keep talking, it was to keep the kids and adults blood sugar well.   It was honestly my favorite part of the service.  He had a lovely collection of wintergreen lifesavers and buttered rum ones ( those were so good).  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Teachaheart said:

That depends on the particular flavor of Calvinist. 

These are rather popular with my Reformed friends. I’m told they keep you awake and remind you of the sweetness of the message. 
F20263A0-6353-46BA-9B32-615232D1D296.jpeg.33bccd9ab325cc71aa85d0f0bd28c27d.jpeg

My mom’s father was Dutch and when she was a small child they all lived together for a time. She & her Hungarian mom would take the Dutch Reformed mints to the Romanian Catholic Parish. There was a reason they went to the Romanian Parish, but I don’t remember what it was. So really, they are interdenominational mints! I brought some home to my mom when I traveled to Holland several years ago & she was so happy! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Growing up there was his elderly man who did this before the service . He did it as it was part of his childhood in church.  And since our pastor at the time couldn’t tell time and would just keep talking, it was to keep the kids and adults blood sugar well.   It was honestly my favorite part of the service.  He had a lovely collection of wintergreen lifesavers and buttered rum ones ( those were so good).  

I went to a Baptist church in high school and there was a man who have ever a stick of gum. There was a Wrigley plant in our area & they could bring gum home. I’ll be old lady age soon - maybe I should think about what I want to pass out before church. That day will be here before I know it. When exactly is one old enough to give stuff to kids at church? I’m thinking my hair should be all white. Hmm. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Terabith said:

I just learned tonight (from a meme) that there is a time in Dutch Reformed services when everyone gets out mints to suck on.  

Did everyone else know this? 

I saw that same meme today (the one with the flow chart to determine your denomination, right?) and was wondering all day!🤣

I stepped back on the Boards today with a quick question after years away and already y'all are relevant to my life. ❤

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Terabith said:

I attended a hyper-Calvinist church for a while when in California. Didn't buy into the theology, but the people were lovely. The church was very mission-focused, and we asked why they sent out missionaries. The answer was basically "because God told us to do it." 

I am 100% team food/snacks/mints at church. 🙂

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Amish give the young kids cookies during the sermon. Seems practical. 

The LCMS church affiliated with the school L attended for awhile gave the kids snacks (usually little packs of goldfish or cheese-its) during children's time in services that didn't have Children's church. Imcan only imagine how much vacuuming it took afterwards. 

Honestly, the pastor tended to have long sermons...there were times I needed a snack..or at least a mint!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

The LCMS church affiliated with the school L attended for awhile gave the kids snacks (usually little packs of goldfish or cheese-its) during children's time in services that didn't have Children's church. Imcan only imagine how much vacuuming it took afterwards. 

Honestly, the pastor tended to have long sermons...there were times I needed a snack..or at least a mint!

Hey, at least they didn't five them a glitter craft to do in the pews! That's the kind of thing that sends church custodians into fits of despair. 😁

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Terabith said:

Very practical.  Helps keep you awake during the sermon.  What kind of mints are they?  Are they those soft buttery mints?  I love those!

Mints AND Dutch letters are a pretty good evangelistic outreach, imo.  

I thought they were French letters.

14 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I forgot about buttered rum lifesavers!  Now I want one!  My grandmother always carried around a pack of Certs in her purse.  I don't think they make those anymore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MercyA said:

I attended a hyper-Calvinist church for a while when in California. Didn't buy into the theology, but the people were lovely. The church was very mission-focused, and we asked why they sent out missionaries. The answer was basically "because God told us to do it." 

I am 100% team food/snacks/mints at church. 🙂

Yep, the ones I know are in the God told us to do it camp (plus the stuff someone else said about God using people to share the word). 

It's interesting to me that the mints come at a designated time, but are also not in particularly noisy wrappings. 

The whole idea is new to me, but I like the idea of a designated mint time. We had an informal one in our church growing up--lots of giggling and funny looks at squeaking and rustling wrappers, but no one minded because half the church was doing it. There were definitely some people who were candy sharers and really got into it.

• Like 1

Ha! I JUST found an bag of Wilhelmina Peppermints (the first photo) in my pantry and have been passing them to my kids (and me) before the sermon the last two weeks. The King peppermints (second photo) are thinner and can be broken in quarters (by Dad, who has the strong fingers), thus potentially extending the longevity of their enjoyment if one takes a short break between pieces. No peppermint I've ever had has ever lasted as long as the sermon.  If one holds it in a cheek pocket you might get close...

For background, my parents grew up  in the Netherlands, sucking peppermints weekly during services, but all my life I (and my kids) only partake when someone has brought them back from the Netherlands or a trip to the Dutch store in West Michigan :-). 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

I saw that same meme today (the one with the flow chart to determine your denomination, right?) and was wondering all day!🤣

I stepped back on the Boards today with a quick question after years away and already y'all are relevant to my life. ❤

I can't find the meme so far, and I am now officially curious.

10 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

I’m still stuck on the question of whether the mints are distributed in a formal way, like trays of communion wine/grape juice. Or does everyone just independently dig them out of pockets and handbags at the appropriate time?

The blog I read indicated that people independently dig them out at the appropriate time, but that the pastor pauses for this and that if someone didn’t bring any, other people will spot them a mint.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

I’m still stuck on the question of whether the mints are distributed in a formal way, like trays of communion wine/grape juice. Or does everyone just independently dig them out of pockets and handbags at the appropriate time?

Me too! And does the church provide them, like maybe just boxes sitting in the pews? Or do you bring your own, and if so is there an official brand like se saw, or people just bring whatever?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Innisfree said:

The latter one, digging at the appropriate time

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

The blog I read indicated that people independently dig them out at the appropriate time, but that the pastor pauses for this and that if someone didn’t bring any, other people will spot them a mint.  

The pause is because of the noise tearing the silver paper and sharing the mints. After that a pastor got everybody’s attention 🙂

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Me too! And does the church provide them, like maybe just boxes sitting in the pews? Or do you bring your own, and if so is there an official brand like se saw, or people just bring whatever?

One bring ones own, and there is a link between certain mint brands  and certain dominations. Although it is not a rule or law 🙂  

This is an other brand, and according my father they were used in churches with shorter sermons, but this brand has also a les strong mint taste..

image.jpeg.de4884b38bd2d31cd18392cf4f057889.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2023 at 4:52 PM, Loesje22000 said:

The latter one, digging at the appropriate time

The pause is because of the noise tearing the silver paper and sharing the mints. After that a pastor got everybody’s attention 🙂

One bring ones own, and there is a link between certain mint brands  and certain dominations. Although it is not a rule or law 🙂  

This is an other brand, and according my father they were used in churches with shorter sermons, but this brand has also a les strong mint taste..

image.jpeg.de4884b38bd2d31cd18392cf4f057889.jpeg

Where do people buy them? Do local grocery stores sell them, if they have a large dutch reformed population? I don't think I've ever seen these brands. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

Where do people buy them? Do local grocery stores sell them, if they have a large dutch reformed population? I don't think I've ever seen these brands. 

Yep.  Our local grocery store has them in the candy section as well as a whole Dutch foods section 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ktgrok said:

In the Netherlands these are more common brands. Grocery stores sell them, but also other selling point with candy corners like petrol stations and drugstores.

So I'm a What??? on @Terabith's chart. Color me amazed. I was raised RC where there is absolutely, positively no candy allowed for anyone old enough to take communion. I can just imagine the death glare you'd have got if you whipped out the mints before the homily. RFLOL

However, my sister and I were allowed to buy 25 cents worth of candy at Peg's diner/convenience store/candy counter if we were good. I remember when she got her first order of bulk Swedish fish for a penny a pop. It was marvelous. I'm glad they became a supermarket candy since they're such a wonderful childhood memory.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chiguirre said:

So I'm a What??? on @Terabith's chart. Color me amazed. I was raised RC where there is absolutely, positively no candy allowed for anyone old enough to take communion. I can just imagine the death glare you'd have got if you whipped out the mints before the homily. RFLOL

Right?! HOWEVER!! There is a certain Vicar General who is (in)famous for multiple homilies during Mass. Last week, for instance, there was the “main” homily, of course, but also 3 “mini” ones: pre-Mass, Collect, and post-announcements at the end.

I wonder if the mint thing would work for his post-Communion homilies. 🤔🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1