Menu

Tell me about your paper planner/bujo/whatever you use

Kidlit

I searched but didn't see a recent thread.  If I missed one, please point me in the right direction. 

I want to use a planner.  Some things about me that make this hard:

1.  I'm scattered/forgetful.  I don't THINK I actually have ADD.  I think it's just a combination of anxiety (treated) and too much to do.  
2.  I used to scrapbook when I was primarily a sahhm, but I quit as we added more children to the family. My point in mentioning this is that I do appreciate the aesthetic parts of planners, etc., but they're not my primary reason for using one. 
2. My purpose in using a planner is to keep me on track with home tasks and personal goals.  

What have you used?   Tell me about your favorites, please. 

I use google calendar and my phone alerts me to do things. I just make events to call the bank, clean the fume hood, alongside actual appointments. Then my husband and my calendars are also linked/shared so I can see his schedule as well. 

I also use a bullet journal but I use that primarily as note keeping and lesson planning not making sure I get my life stuff done. I guess though my bullet journal would be where I put my personal goals... but writing down personal goals have never worked for me. For those I have to jump in and do it or they won't get done. 

• Like 2

I used to bullet  journal, not the online aesthetic version but a very pared down practical one. I liked having the option of many pages of notes.  But having to do each week’s layout  from scratch kept it from happening as often as I wanted.

This year I used this Simple Elephant planner - i liked it, and there are lots of pages of notes at the back. I also like that all of the month at a glance pages are in the front, and then the weekly layouts are their own section. From reviews, that’s what some people don’t like, so ymmv.

This year I bought a different planner, this one. Time will tell how I like it; its main advantage to me is that the weekly layouts are very similar to what I had worked out for myself with the bullet journals and have some habit tracking spaces.

Both of the planners above have undated pages, so I still have to fill in something every week to get set up, but not as much.  I’d like to find a planner at a reasonable price that has all the features I like and is dated, but I’m not holding my breath. Also I’m not willing to devote much time to a search.

Edited by Emba
  • Like 2

For goal tracking, I love the Commit30 journals. She is all about goal setting and her journals reflect that.

I tried using a Bujo in the way it was meant to be used, got sucked down the must-make-my-bujo-beautiful track, and crashed hard with it. I am not artsy and it became a source of stress and anxiety.  Finding Commit30 and her simple style (with colorful stickers if I wanted to use them) was just what I needed.  The 30 day challenges at the beginning of every month help with reaching goals.

I was gifted a Happy Planner for my birthday in 2021 by my DGD. She purchased it with her own money and was so excited to give it to me so I used it in 2022 instead of the Commit30 planner. Honestly, the Happy Planner stickers are nice but I like the Commit30 journal and business owner. She is so down to earth and relatable. I was going to go back to Commit30 this year but my DGD gave me another Happy Planner (I must intervene next year and ask her for a Commit30).

I use the Commit30 finance and yearly planners for my business. Easy to use for scheduling lessons, officiating assignments, and restringing jobs.

Yes, there are less expensive planners out there but the Commit30 family is awesome.

• Like 2

Here is a thread from a year ago, which helped me solidify by bullet journal needs and I've been doing the same thing since. But mine is a mix of things to do and things and things I have done. For some recurring tasks, like cleaning the glass panels on the kitchen light fixture, I use google calendar with reminders every 3 months (or whatever time period I typically need to do the thing). I have also used the Todoist app which I believe would be helpful if I would take the time to set it up correctly and not just ignore it.

I also keep a monthly habit tracker which I printed from a planner site, and glue-dot into my journal. (Similar to this one (Etsy link) but not this one) This includes things like: water consumption, Bible reading/study/prayer, walking, indoor exercise. It's very simple and I just color in the space if I completed the thing. It is my one bit of color in the notebook. Well, if I have empty space I may slap in a sticker or bit of washi tape for fun. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

I use a spiral notebook for everything personal jumbled together (not saying that’s a good plan), a traditional teacher planner for work, & a separate wall calendar for exercise tracking plus another wall calendar for day to day life. Oh and a meal planning notebook too.
Was just looking at Clever Fox budget planners specifically, but nay just use a spiral notebook to get started.

• Like 1

I use google calendar synched to all devices. I have a few categories of calendars that help me keep things organized- family, work, ministry. I also use the Apple Reminders app for to do lists and shopping lists. Again I create different lists for different subjects and yes, i make a master to-do that tells me which to do lists I need to look at.  I also have a lined Moleskine notebook where I put my notes re: phone calls, plans, projects, etc.. I put different washi tape on the edges of the pages to show what category is on any given page with some pages covering multiple topics. Categories like medical, work, household & financial. 

• Like 1

The last few years I've been using the Happy Planners and I'm honestly happy with them. This year I'm using their Budget journal as my main journal to help keep a lot of things I need to plan in one place. This year I bought one of their guided journals, (for meeting goals) and I'm excited to see if that works out like I hope. If not, at least I got a good deal on it. LOL

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, KeriJ said:

I love Sugar Paper planner for actual planning and a spiral notebook for random lists and brain dumps

I bought a Sugar Paper Planner for the first time this year. I had been using Day Designer but when I saw the Sugar Paper at Target I liked it and the price wasn't bad.

**ETA** I bought it this year for 2023. I realized it sound like I used one for 2022.

My dil got me this journal for Christmas. It just has lined pages and a place for the date at the top of each page. My goals and other lists will go in the journal.

Dh and I sync our Google calendars so neither one of us schedules something so actual appointments are digital. 

20221231_153402.jpg

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3

Minimalist here.  I use the cheapest version of a medium sized 5 Star paper journal and put everything in it: shopping lists, notes from committee work, working drawings of projects to execute, to do for holidays.  I'm only picky about the size - I don't want a full notebook size but pocket size is too small. 

I have a wall calendar that I sometimes take off the wall and carry with me if I need to. 

I have a pretty nature journal.

• Like 2

I have used half and full sized planners, but I also get something cheap. I finally decided that I like the larger size right now for my stage of life, and I might go back to a smaller one someday when I have fewer people to keep track of.

My requirements are that my calendars have a two-page monthly spread followed by two-page weekly spreads that leaves a little room for to-do lists or other margin information. Tabs for the months are also necessary.

Ideally they have a place to put important dates for the next year and some blank pages to write in. I have taken a planner apart and used a proclick binding to add these pages if they don't exist. 🙂 Even nicer is if they have some folders pockets for holding miscellany. (I also have a couple of organizers like this for the school calendars and other paperwork that I need to refer to from time to time but doesn't deserve and entire file of it's own or is something that is actively being managed before being filed. https://smile.amazon.com/Samsill-Organizer-Dividers-Document-Customizable/dp/B07TYVZDXL?pd_rd_w=wFrAT&content-id=amzn1.sym.deffa092-2e99-4e9f-b814-0d71c40b24af&pf_rd_p=deffa092-2e99-4e9f-b814-0d71c40b24af&pf_rd_r=BZ7H7HRY35FF4J9EPY8F&pd_rd_wg=B5z8b&pd_rd_r=89b6210f-abed-4542-981b-1270b19e6dae&pd_rd_i=B07TYVZDXL&ref_=pd_bap_d_grid_rp_0_41_t&th=1)

I use the monthly pages for an overview, and then I transfer that (ideally) to the weekly pages to determine my strategy for the week and when to squeeze in errands around the big stuff. I started this in college with all my project due dates, and it carried over pretty well.

When I worked, I used a Franklin planner and went to their training. I think it works better for the workplace than home, but that's not because the method is flawed. It's because trying to do it at home points a big glaring finger at when other people let me down. At work, people were paid to listen to me and act on information I supplied--far less herding deaf cats who don't care! The planners are pricier up front, but you really can use their methodology with other planners. 

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone who has responded.  I've been doing NYE a family stuff all day and will be tonight, and I didn't want you all to think I posted and ghosted.  Lol.  Right now I'm most intrigued by the Commit 30 planners and the Clever Fox planners.  I hope to watch some YouTube videos of walkthroughs of those before I order.  Anyone who has used either (or both!) care to comment?  

Side note: I failed to mention above that I am also a failed bullet journaler. I love the idea and even kind of enjoy  setting it up, but I'm bad at follow through, especially when I have to make so much from scratch.   Time is an issue.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kidlit said:

I failed to mention above that I am also a failed bullet journaler. I love the idea and even kind of enjoy  setting it up, but I'm bad at follow through, especially when I have to make so much from scratch.   Time is an issue.  

My son got a Hobonichi weeks this year for that reason. It's all set up but with plenty of blank pages for collections.

• Like 1

My 8 year old and I are going to try to use Happy Planners this year. I tried a Heidi Swapp memory planner some years ago, but I didn't stick with it.  😞  I am one of those collectors who wishes she was more of a crafter, so maybe with my daughter, I can stick with it.  I want to keep on track with many things this year, but I also like the memory keeping aspect.  There are actually lots of options, though.  My Dollar General had a bunch of new $5 planner kits!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kidlit said:

Side note: I failed to mention above that I am also a failed bullet journaler. I love the idea and even kind of enjoy  setting it up, but I'm bad at follow through, especially when I have to make so much from scratch.   Time is an issue.  

My bullet journal is just a collection of lists. Occasionally I'm bored somewhere and a page gets lots of doodles and fancy writing. 

• Like 2

JetPens is a great place to look at different planners. https://www.jetpens.com/Planners/ct/2815

What works for you may depend on how you want to use your planner. A planner should enhance the way you already think not force you to change the way you organize information. You may need to experiment with different sizes and layouts to find what works for you because what is good in theory may not work in practice. 

Questions to consider: 

• what is my budget - because planner keeping can be as inexpensive or as costly as you want. It's easy to overspend on a system
  • what is the season of my life - because your planner needs may change depending upon what you want to keep track of - appointments, journaling, random notes, projects
  • what size do you I need - do you plan to carry your planner everywhere? If so, the size of your purse may dictate. Also if you write large, you may find a smaller planner has too little writing space. 
  • what kind of layout - while there are plenty of options, some are easier to find than others. If you want a weekly view, do you want horizontal or vertical. I like vertical because I want to see a timeline of my appointments etc. Do you need daily pages? I  tend to lose information in a daily planning system because I don't want to transfer undone things to the next page, and I will forget to look back. 

I've carried a paper planner since the early 90s. I've had several different "seasons" of planning, and I've honed what I really want in a planner over many years. So don't be afraid to start and tweak along the way. 

My perfect planner doesn't exist in the size I want, so I carry a monthly and vertical weekly planner in a B6slim size (about 7" x 4.25). I also carry a Nanami Paper B6 slim cafe notes notebook for random notes. https://www.nanamipaper.com/products/cafe-note-b6-slim-grid.html

• Like 2

My Clever Fox planner is the basic weekly undated one, iirc.  $25ish?

The instruction booklet is helpful.

More than I expected, I like the gratitude, passions, habits to adopt, affirmations and vision board stuff at the beginning of the planner.

The goal setting (8 areas) and focus pages (pick top five) are very helpful, imo.

I like the monthly spread and the spot to note wins and spot to note how I'll improve next month.  I use pencil and if a month gets away from me a erase and use it for the next month.  I like the undated format.

The weekly layout is enough room for me but ymmv.  I like the habit tracker.

I treat the blank pages in the back like a BuJo by having an index on the first blank page and numbering the pages.

Thanks for the nudge to recommit to planning!

Eta: I haven't used the included stickers at all

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, happi duck said:

My Clever Fox planner is the basic weekly undated one, iirc.  $25ish?

The instruction booklet is helpful.

More than I expected, I like the gratitude, passions, habits to adopt, affirmations and vision board stuff at the beginning of the planner.

The goal setting (8 areas) and focus pages (pick top five) are very helpful, imo.

I like the monthly spread and the spot to note wins and spot to note how I'll improve next month.  I use pencil and if a month gets away from me a erase and use it for the next month.  I like the undated format.

The weekly layout is enough room for me but ymmv.  I like the habit tracker.

I treat the blank pages in the back like a BuJo by having an index on the first blank page and numbering the pages.

Thanks for the nudge to recommit to planning!

I’ve never seen My Clever Fox, but it looks like something I may want to try! I’ve attempted to bullet journal for several years, but I stink at keeping up with it. I think having some planned pages may actually help me. But what I love about this planner is the blank pages in the back (and love the idea of indexing them!). I think I will give this a try this year. 

• Like 2

On 12/31/2022 at 1:28 PM, Kidlit said:

I searched but didn't see a recent thread.  If I missed one, please point me in the right direction. 

I want to use a planner.  Some things about me that make this hard:

1.  I'm scattered/forgetful.  I don't THINK I actually have ADD.  I think it's just a combination of anxiety (treated) and too much to do.  
2.  I used to scrapbook when I was primarily a sahhm, but I quit as we added more children to the family. My point in mentioning this is that I do appreciate the aesthetic parts of planners, etc., but they're not my primary reason for using one. 
2. My purpose in using a planner is to keep me on track with home tasks and personal goals.  

What have you used?   Tell me about your favorites, please. 

I DO have (unmediated) adhd and (medicated) anxiety, lol.  
I continue to primarily use Happy Planner, specifically the dashboard layout, which gives me enough room to put some things in their respective days, and undated items or notes on the other side of the same layout. My preference includes the disc binding to include extra notes, and a snap cover so I can stash pens, appointment cards, and random stuff.

I have all the pretty stuff, but I really only do that once in a blue moon, for fun.

I keep my daily to-do list separate, in a coil bound, hardcover, 8.5x5ish notebook. Fresh page started for each day, whether I’m writing it the night before or that morning. Previous page gets any leftovers transferred, and then ripped out.

• Like 2

Adding, I also keep a duplicate (different color) notebook for “Getting Things Done”. My notebooks come with movable dividers, so I have “actions”, “projects”, “someday/maybe” and random notes sections. I don’t follow the GTD method all that well, but this does give me a good place to store bigger things without getting too overwhelmed or discouraged. Unless I’m adding something to it, I really only give it a look once a week or so to pull actions into my plans.

I just thought I’d add to what I said earlier. Some features I appreciate in a planner aside from monthly and weekly layouts are a hard cover and non-spiral binding.  Spiral bindings get squished and then the whole thing is hard to use and pages tear out more easily. I like a pen loop so that a pen is always at hand. I like to have a pocket inside the cover and an elastic band around the cover, moleskine-style.  These are all details that make a planner more practical to me.

Since I get undated planners, they don’t have a year-at-a-glance page, so I print one out and paste it in the front cover.

I’ve not found vision boards very useful.  

At first when I started bullet journaling I did a daily page, but over time stopped using those much. Since I buy pensar planners now, I do not get ones with daily layouts because it would mostly be wasted pages.  I just really need a place to organize the main events and to-do list for my week, where I can see it in one spot. 

having everything in one place is the best thing about a bujo imho. I can’t keep up with two or three notebooks.  So having a planner with twenty or thirty blank pages for notes ( instead of one or two) is high on my list of features. At Christmas I need a place to write down what I’ve bought, what I plan to buy, what I’m cooking, etc, and I use several pages for that. I put sports schedules and teacher contact info in them. I make lists of books I want to read or have read, recipes that my family liked, songs I want to learn on my ukulele, passwords, and all kinds of stuff there.

Edited by Emba
  • Like 3

The thing I like best about the bullet journal concept is you can pick and choose what works for you. 

I dislike the traditional monthly page for example  -- I do a style I found many year ago from some organizing site that I've long since lost now -- each day gets one line going down the page.  Visually this works way better for my brain.  It's also very fast to make a new one whenever it starts looking cluttered or I'm losing track of where I'm at on the page.   Nowadays I usually do 2 columns of days -- which allows almost 3 months on one page.  

Same with traditional weekly pages -- they usually have the days too big and the place for lists too small.  I don't track things on a day basis very much and I need the primary lists on the same page for the week, otherwise it's lost to me -- but with ability to have various separate lists not just one.   Plus it's super easy to try a different weekly layout and then change what doesn't work out the next week. 

Haven't ever been able to get daily/weekly habits to work in a bullet journal format tho -- currently using to-doist for this and pretty happy with it.

And I'm still trying to figure out how to include the big projects in a way that works for me (other than just a "work on X project" way).

I do not do any of the pretty/crafty stuff and I only do layouts that are quick for me to create -- because otherwise it becomes a project and that means it won't happen when it needs to. 

• Like 1

🙋🏻‍♀️  I’m also a failed Bullet journaler.

This is my third year using “The Planner” (Medium size - Large enough for my eyes to see, but small enough to slip into my purse). 

I like the pre-printed month view and weekly views that have a grid underneath for any notes, habit tracking, or lists. So, you can still bullet journal or do something decorative if you are in the mood, but no pressure. I’m thinking about attaching small photos on the weekly view in the future like a scrapbook. There’s gridded pages in the back, too.

I originally bought from Mochi Things, but found this planner less expensive on Etsy. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1287042038/2023-premium-yearly-planner-m-high?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=the+planner+M&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&pro=1&edd=1&sts=1&organic_search_click=1

Edited by Mona
  • Like 1

Our schedule is too non-traditional so bought planners don't work

I'm a very sporadic bullet journaler, and I'm okay with that. Once I've put in all the effort at the beginning of the year, I just need less on paper weekly planning like that. My bullet journal/notebook becomes a bunch of lists, scrappy pages of phone calls made and budget figurings lol

• Like 1

I use this one: https://intheleafytreetops.com/systems-planner-2023/

I need a planner that contains all of the trackers and lists and prompts me to think about things I haven't yet thought about. 

I use the blank pages at the end of each month as a journaling section. The weekly spreads are easy to add stickers and quotes to.  

There is a section that is a monthly planner with a few lines for each day. I've used that in a variety of ways--as an exercise planner, as a gratitude journal, as a wardrobe planner, as a snack planner....  There are a number of pages that offer a variety of flexibility that I can turn into whatever I need them to be.

I have a few pages that I've typed up that I print out yearly and just tape into my planner---school contact lists, the evacuation list, the trip planner list, and so on.....

We also keep a full digital calendar, but my brain remembers things that I right down differently than things that I type.  I use my planner to PLAN and TRACK. I use my phone with alarms to DO. (Speaking of which, an alarm just went off to go pick up a kid....)

Best wishes in your planning journey!

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 2:34 PM, Kidlit said:

Thanks to everyone who shared. After much research, I ordered a Clever Fox weekly premium planner.  I hope it will be here by the end of the week.  I am optimistic that it's going to turn me into a productivity queen.  LOL 

After you have used it awhile, will you update this thread. I love to hear how it works for you because I'm always open to trying new planners.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 2:34 PM, Kidlit said:

Thanks to everyone who shared. After much research, I ordered a Clever Fox weekly premium planner.  I hope it will be here by the end of the week.  I am optimistic that it's going to turn me into a productivity queen.  LOL 

I just received my Clever Fox planner today. I keep staring at it, but not writing anything, because I have an overwhelming fear of messing up a new planner! 🤦‍♀️

Edited by Just Kate
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Just Kate said:

I just received my Clever Fox planner today. I keep staring at it, but not writing anything, because I have an overwhelming fear of messing up a new planner! 🤦‍♀️

I got mine yesterday.  I'm planning to work on it this weekend! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I initially was going to start mine with pencil and I do recommend that if you are worried about messing up but, honestly, it's your planner so you can't mess up. At least that's what I told myself when I put my pencil back and grabbed a pen instead. LOL So far, so good, and I like the way the pen looks. BTW, I use different color pens so that some things stand right out making it easy for my eyes to find them quickly.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I initially was going to start mine with pencil and I do recommend that if you are worried about messing up but, honestly, it's your planner so you can't mess up. At least that's what I told myself when I put my pencil back and grabbed a pen instead. LOL So far, so good, and I like the way the pen looks. BTW, I use different color pens so that some things stand right out making it easy for my eyes to find them quickly.

You really have to just jump in and do it. I started doing my bullet journal in cheap composition books so if I felt like I messed something up I could easily tear the page out. That's not really so feasible with dated planners, I know. But it's a tool that you own. Use it as such! 💗 Mine is a mess but sometimes so is my life, so, it fits. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kidlit said:

I got mine yesterday.  I'm planning to work on it this weekend! 🤣

Once you start working on your planner, I’m curious to know what you will do with the My Gratitude, What Am I Passionate About, Skills to Learn, and My Affirmations prompts?

I’m thinking I will just leave those blank for now, but fill them in as something comes to me throughout the year. Thoughts?

Also, I’ve been having fun thinking of my goals for the year in the 8 given categories. Right now, I am writing them in notecards and will transfer to my planner after I’ve sat and thought on them a bit. 

So far, I really like this planner!!

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 3:10 PM, Carrie12345 said:

Adding, I also keep a duplicate (different color) notebook for “Getting Things Done”. My notebooks come with movable dividers, so I have “actions”, “projects”, “someday/maybe” and random notes sections. I don’t follow the GTD method all that well, but this does give me a good place to store bigger things without getting too overwhelmed or discouraged. Unless I’m adding something to it, I really only give it a look once a week or so to pull actions into my plans.

What kind of notebook with moveable dividers do you like? Did not know these existed--very cool!

8 minutes ago, Acadie said:

What kind of notebook with moveable dividers do you like? Did not know these existed--very cool!

These guys! 
EOOUT 4 Pack Spiral Notebook, Notebook for Work, A5 Hardcover Notebooks, College Ruled, 5.5"x8.5", 100 Sheets/200 Pages, 3 Subject with Removable Dividers, for School Supplies, Gifts https://a.co/d/e5Ke7eD

Edited by Carrie12345
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Just Kate said:

The key is to have several lovely stickers of varying sizes on hand (the kind you can write on), so that you know you can cover any mistakes, lol. 

Once you're into it, it doesn't matter as much, but there's something about that beautiful, blank planner that makes it hard to get started. I once messed up writing my own name 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, katilac said:

The key is to have several lovely stickers of varying sizes on hand (the kind you can write on), so that you know you can cover any mistakes, lol. 

Once you're into it, it doesn't matter as much, but there's something about that beautiful, blank planner that makes it hard to get started. I once messed up writing my own name 🙄

100% right about using stickers to cover mistakes. This year I added the Happy Planner Goals planner to use along with my other one. So far I like it because the prompts helping me discover what goals I want to meet and how to break those down into doable parts. But I also like the parts of the planner that ask what thing I was grateful for that day or what I had learned. Those questions are harder to answer than I thought they would be but they are helping me discover what's working in my day and what's not. I don't know if those are the same kinds of prompts you are looking at in your planner but, even if you feel you can't answer them yet, take a moment or two to really give them some thought and answer them the best you can in your mind. Also remember, that there are no wrong answers. Nobody is going to see this but you and even if you come up with what you feel is a silly answer, who cares. And if you change your mind about the answer, those big stickers come in handy for that too. I've even used them to cover up part of the prompts because some days I'm only grateful for two things and come up with a third like it asked.