Menu

Can we all agree that "you think that's cold? It's (fill in the blank) where I am right now!" is not helpful....???

TheReader

1 minute ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

I know the round-about roads to take to avoid the “big” hills in my neighborhood,   and that’s usually enough on a snow day, but this week I slid backwards on my “little” hill… Not that much you can do when it’s all ice.  Hopefully the warmer temps are still coming on Saturday so I can rescue the kids from the horrors of being well-fed and entertained at Grandma’s house…  

My street is a steep hill.  If you can't go up, you're not going anywhere.   Unless you walk.

• Like 2

Truth. 
DH and I are from up north. Our family has been doing the same about our 9 degree temps. But. It was 60 degrees just a few days ago. Nine degrees in Texas is well below our normal winter temperatures. Factor in, we are all still so traumatized by the power grid failure in February of 2021! 

• Like 4

This seemed like the right thread for this guy, who gave me a laugh this morning.

The same thing happens here but for heat when Europe gets a heat wave. It’s like, but yeah, no air con and a house designed for cold not heat, not fun! Preparedness, familiarity and homes designed for the climate make a huge difference. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I grew up in Buffalo NY. And we walked to school and we were pretty low income so we didn’t have great gear. We had cheap Kmart gear with the bread bags inside. And the snow was high enough to get over the boots into the bread bags. So yadda yadda…I have my cold and snow credentials. 

But I’ve lived in TN for 26 years. It is going to be colder here tomorrow than it has ever been since we moved here according to the news. And I’m nervous about it. Because we are just not equipped. Our houses and heating systems aren’t built for it. I really don’t even know how it will go? Who cares that it is colder somewhere else. My kids (the oldest is 24 yo) will literally be colder than they have ever been in their lives. Who cares if it is colder somewhere else? 

I just told my kids they shouldn’t be low on gas because it could freeze. I realize that is common knowledge but I honestly don’t think I’ve ever even thought to make sure they knew that. 

We do know what to do in tornadoes though. I guess we should laugh at someone who isn’t used to it and gets freaked out by a tornado watch? 

• Like 11

Oh! The bread bags in the boots! Blast from my childhood…

I never had adequate gear as a kid either. When I was in my twenties I bought my first ever real winter coat and marveled at how *warm* it was! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Quill said:

Oh! The bread bags in the boots! Blast from my childhood…

I never had adequate gear as a kid either. When I was in my twenties I bought my first ever real winter coat and marveled at how *warm* it was! 

I had no idea how inadequate our gear was because our entire social circle was the same level. I remember seeing a Lands End catalog somewhere and thinking it was some kind of rich person silliness. My mom sewed our regular clothes but outerwear came from Kmart or Hills (anyone else have Hills?) and it was definitely the bottom line of what was available at those stores. When I went to college and began to see what was available out in the world I spent whatever money I had on getting a decent coat and winter footwear to walk to class. It felt so extravagant but I just couldn’t believe the difference and I was never going back. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I had no idea how inadequate our gear was because our entire social circle was the same level. I remember seeing a Lands End catalog somewhere and thinking it was some kind of rich person silliness. My mom sewed our regular clothes but outerwear came from Kmart or Hills (anyone else have Hills?) and it was definitely the bottom line of what was available at those stores. When I went to college and began to see what was available out in the world I spent whatever money I had on getting a decent coat and winter footwear to walk to class. It felt so extravagant but I just couldn’t believe the difference and I was never going back. 

So much this! Exactly my experience. 

When I was a kid, any winter gear we had was in a box and if you got to it first and it fit you, you could wear it that time. But most were hand-crocheted hats or mittens; we rarely had anything really designed to stay warm in the snow.  I remember at one point, my mom got a pair of “snow pants” from somewhere; either a yard sale or in a donation bag. I think they were meant for hunters. It was an olive green pair of quilted nylon pants, kinda like a puffer jacket for your legs, lol. My sisters and I would fight over that pair of “snow pants” whenever we had enough snow to play in. I usually lost the fight and had to go out in sweatpants layered over jeans. My “boots” were Snoopy galoshes, lol. 

My kids don’t know how good they have had it! 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Yep. Dealing with winter weather in places without the governmental infrastructure to help handle it and without the personal/home equippage to ameliorate it’s effects is not fun, not a joke. 

This. It’s possible  the responders have just never lived out of their bubble? We moved to the PNW after an inch of icy snow. I thought what in the world is the hubbub about? I could not fathom it being a big deal. They essentially had no ability to deal with it until it melted a couple days later. Us northerners like to believe our success at winter driving is the result of attained skills. It’s really just the guys in the giant orange trucks that work incessantly to save us from our over developed self assurance. 

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 10

And the really cold temps hit your batteries too.  People didn't understand why a lot of school districts were closing when it was really cold like now about 7 years ago (don't remember when but way before pandemic and after my cancer diagnosis which happened a few years after moving here).  It was because of buses =over here, we have mountains and lots of the school districts are hauling people long ways.  The low temps meant buses couldn't start.  No buses, no schools.  Well someone was posting locally why don't they get whatever system they have in MN or other really cold places.  Because we live in Alabama, and we can expect this not very frequently so not very cost inefficient.

Edited by TravelingChris
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This seemed like the right thread for this guy, who gave me a laugh this morning.

The same thing happens here but for heat when Europe gets a heat wave. It’s like, but yeah, no air con and a house designed for cold not heat, not fun! Preparedness, familiarity and homes designed for the climate make a huge difference. 

😂 

This is one of our local stations. 

Wonder where the Schnack was… he’s pretty popular for an Iowa weather guy. (They’re generally not popular… too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry, you get the picture.)

• Like 3

I am thankful that we had decent snow gear as kids. We’d play outside til we were frozen, come in to eat and warm up while mom ran our ski bibs and mittens and long johns in the dryer, then suit up and go back out. We always had good boots ad hand-me-downs from cousins.

But not in dangerous cold! 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GoVanGogh said:

Truth. 
DH and I are from up north. Our family has been doing the same about our 9 degree temps. But. It was 60 degrees just a few days ago. Nine degrees in Texas is well below our normal winter temperatures. Factor in, we are all still so traumatized by the power grid failure in February of 2021! 

Even now - people will make snarky comments about people going somewhere else if they lost power.  It's hard to keep babies warm with no power when it is that cold.
We've lost power for several days/a week during a cold snap with snow and ice on the ground.  We're pretty well set up for not having a generator - but most people aren't.  (I've been looking for a generator)

25 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

This. It’s possible  the responders have just never lived out of their bubble? We moved to the PNW after an inch of icy snow. I thought what in the world is the hubbub about? I could not fathom it being a big deal. They essentially had no ability to deal with it until it melted a couple days later. Us northerners like to believe our success at winter driving is the result of attained skills. It’s really just the guys in the giant orange trucks that work incessantly to save us from our over developed self assurance. 

It snows at 32 degrees, and it is wet snow that then freezes to ice.  Once it turns to ice - it's on the road until it melts.  No plow will remove it, and no sand will give you more traction. It is slick, and you will slide.  on hills and into the ditch.  I remember when a bus slid down an icy hill and partially hung over the freeway.  I also remember when it was 17 degrees and snowed like crazy - it was a very different experience because the snow was drier. (makes lousy snowballs.)
People come here from other areas and say things like "oh, they don't have the equipment", and worse.  that's only part of it, and not even the biggest part of it.  We have wet snow that freezes into ice on steep hills.  we have mountains in the metro area. mountains - as in over 2000', and we measure from sea level.  Many places in the country that routinely get a lot of snow are pretty darn flat, and have colder temps when it snows so the snow is drier.  Then it stays below freezing so it doesn't' immediately turn to ice.   

20 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

And the really cold temps hit your batteries too.  People didn't understand why a lot of school districts were closing when it was really cold like now about 7 years ago (don't remember when but way before pandemic and after my cancer diagnosis which happened a few years after moving here).  It was because of buses =over here, we have mountains and lots of the school districts are hauling people long ways.  The low temps meant buses couldn't start.  No buses, no schools.  Well someone was posting locally why don't they get whatever system they have in MN or other really cold places.  Because we live in Alabama, and we can expect this not very frequently so very cost inefficient.

And kids have to stand outside in those temperatures waiting for the bus to come.  Risking frostbite or even hypothermia because of inadequate gear.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

I know the round-about roads to take to avoid the “big” hills in my neighborhood,   and that’s usually enough on a snow day, but this week I slid backwards on my “little” hill… Not that much you can do when it’s all ice.  Hopefully the warmer temps are still coming on Saturday so I can rescue the kids from the horrors of being well-fed and entertained at Grandma’s house…  (My oldest was beside herself that she will have to stay an extra day or two.  Kid, trapped at grandmas with cookies and Netflix is not the end of the world!)

Years ago, I recall one major snowstorm.   Dh was working in Tacoma.  Blue sky, sunshine . . . He was listening to the weather and traffic reports and wondering what was going on.  He was in Federal Way before he saw a flake. . . . He bailed off I5, and went backroads.  He made it home by 6pm, which was downright impressive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ddcrook said:

Oh wow! Have you had any accumulation? We were surprised to see flurries here in my part of dfw, but nothing is on the ground. 

We never had any accumulation.  But, it snowed most of the time from about 9:30am until about 2:30pm.  It has been dry, but windy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

We never had any accumulation.  But, it snowed most of the time from about 9:30am until about 2:30pm.  It has been dry, but windy.

dd didn't have any accumulation either  no snow, and they're on a hill.   the moving truck arrived!

22 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

It snows at 32 degrees, and it is wet snow that then freezes to ice.  Once it turns to ice - it's on the road until it melts.  No plow will remove it, and no sand will give you more traction. It is slick, and you will slide.  on hills and into the ditch.  I remember when a bus slid down an icy hill and partially hung over the freeway.  I also remember when it was 17 degrees and snowed like crazy - it was a very different experience because the snow was drier. (makes lousy snowballs.)
People come here from other areas and say things like "oh, they don't have the equipment", and worse.  that's only part of it, and not even the biggest part of it.  We have wet snow that freezes into ice on steep hills.  we have mountains in the metro area. mountains - as in over 2000', and we measure from sea level.  Many places in the country that routinely get a lot of snow are pretty darn flat, and have colder temps when it snows so the snow is drier.  Then it stays below freezing so it doesn't' immediately turn to ice.   

And kids have to stand outside in those temperatures waiting for the bus to come.  Risking frostbite or even hypothermia because of inadequate gear.

It's the same in my area of NC. Our snow is usually wet and heavy with a layer of ice under it. A cross country truck driver who lives in Michigan told me he'd much rather drive in the usually drier northern or western snow than in the frozen mess he's encountered here.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

It's the same in my area of NC. Our snow is usually wet and heavy with a layer of ice under it. A cross country truck driver who lives in Michigan told me he'd much rather deal with the usually drier northern or western snow than in the frozen mess he's encountered here.

we're expecting an ice storm tonight/tomorrow.  about ten years ago we had four snow storms back to back.  Somewhere in the middle of those four storms - we had 1/4" of ice.  - 2dd was flying in, so dh went to the airport top pick her up. (flights were being cancelled like mad across the country, but she was able to get on a different flight bypassing a closed airport. she got the last seat on that plane.) The FREEWAYS hadn't been plowed yet because it was fresh/still coming down.  dh ended up driving all the way to the airport with chains (he thought he'd only need them to get up our hill) - but there were almost no other cars on the freeway.  (coming back was much better as it had been plowed.).  I was watching traffic cameras all the way.

I had 24" of snow at my house - which is unheard of and only rivals the snowstorm of 1968 when there was a huge dump. I was too short to walk in it - so I'd follow my brother's tracks. 

• Like 1

Yes growing up in Bremerton the hills were just killer even with very little snow and always so much ice.  My oldest sister lived on Queen Anne Hill for awhile and she was privileged enough to be able to stay home from work when it snowed most people aren't and it doesn't matter how good a driver you are it's just hard near impossible to get up a hill like that.  Their is not flat route for most places in Western Washington.

We have had an inch of ice on street for over a week because by the time our street was on the list to get cleared it was too late.  So now we will get 4 inches of snow on top of the ice fun. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Yes growing up in Bremerton the hills were just killer even with very little snow and always so much ice.  My oldest sister lived on Queen Anne Hill for awhile and she was privileged enough to be able to stay home from work when it snowed most people aren't and it doesn't matter how good a driver you are it's just hard near impossible to get up a hill like that.  Their is not flat route for most places in Western Washington.

We have had an inch of ice on street for over a week because by the time our street was on the list to get cleared it was too late.  So now we will get 4 inches of snow on top of the ice fun. 

here's the $64K question . . . will it be snow?  or will it be ice? (I've seen reports it will come as freezing rain and straight into solid ice.)

I have christmas presents that haven't arrived yet . . . . . 

• Like 1

Our arctic air has not arrived yet but it is windy af and absolutely pouring rain. The temperature plunge is supposed to happen tommorow after 9am here. Schools are already called off for tommorow. 

It is supposed to be my last day (1/2 day) at the law firm and there is a party at the country club planned for the evening. Christmas party and going away party for me. I don’t know how this is going to play out with the potential for this all to freeze Into an ice rink. The roads are treated and should be okayish but the country club is an hour’s drive around the city so…I. Don’t know. 

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Even now - people will make snarky comments about people going somewhere else if they lost power.  It's hard to keep babies warm with no power when it is that cold.
We've lost power for several days/a week during a cold snap with snow and ice on the ground.  We're pretty well set up for not having a generator - but most people aren't.  (I've been looking for a generator)

Yes, exactly about the kids too.  We don;t have the policy here of not learning after tests for weeks on end.  We can afford a few days off school to keep kids safe, and save money in not buying special equiptment just to keep bus batteries working in rare conditions.  Very rare.

• Like 1

Gardenmom, I remember the first time I was ever in Seattle. Mark, who lived there as a kid during middle school, took me to Queen Anne's hill, and my first thought was, "If they get snow and ice here, this hill would be banned by the Olympic Committee as too dangerous for the Luge!" I would not want to trip at the top of that thing and roll to the bottom.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Gardenmom, I remember the first time I was ever in Seattle. Mark, who lived there as a kid during middle school, took me to Queen Anne's hill, and my first thought was, "If they get snow and ice here, this hill would be banned by the Olympic Committee as too dangerous for the Luge!" I would not want to trip at the top of that thing and roll to the bottom.

skiing down Queen Anne😄  starts about 0:45.

eta: there are also lots of videos of cars sliding down one of the hills.

and Queen Anne is "only" 457 ft.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

skiing down Queen Anne😄  starts about 0:45.

eta: there are also lots of videos of cars sliding down one of the hills.

and Queen Anne is "only" 457 ft.

Since climate change is going to bring even more extreme weather events, I feel like someone could open a ski lodge on the hill, install a magic carpet, and make some money!

Edited by Faith-manor

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

here's the $64K question . . . will it be snow?  or will it be ice? (I've seen reports it will come as freezing rain and straight into solid ice.)

I have christmas presents that haven't arrived yet . . . . 

Always the million dollar question on the Westside.

We are the Eastside now. It's still saying 4ish inches of snow here tonight and tomorrow followed by freezing rain Saturday 

Edited by rebcoola
  • Like 1

LOL well if you think that's bad ....

But seriously, we are just glad to have escaped (traveling to warmer places).  Y'all be careful.

I'll be praying for those (like my folks) who could lose power in places where life depends on artificial heat.  And anyone who ever has to drive on ice or other slickness.  The loss of control is scary regardless of what is causing the loss.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fraidycat said:

Yes, this. And I will be the annoying person who once again reiterates that dry cold and damp cold feel different.

One time when we lived in San Diego and my parents were coming (from Canadian prairies) for Christmas, I told them to bring warm clothes and coats. They didn't believe me that it was that cold... until they got there and experienced it. The temperature reading in a more humid climate can seem a lot warmer, but it gets right into your bones.

I'd rather have -20f in a dry climate than +40f in a humid one! It's easier to stay warm in the dry one.

Yes! I remember being in Tennessee in December in 25 degree weather. Their 25 felt like our 40 because our humidity is always much higher. Right now my weather app says it's 71 degrees and the humidity is 89%. While that's a bit high for this time of year and probably due to all the rain we had yesterday, our humidity rarely drops below 50%. In fact with anything below 60% people get all excited over the "low" humidity.

22 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

I agree. People laugh when Floridians mention low temps that "feel like spring!" to others. Sirs and mams, we are not equipped for teens. Texas wasn't ready for that big freeze. People in parts of Georgia literally can't drive if they get 2 inches of snow because there is no infrastructure for managing it. 

Our homes in Florida, and likely other warm climate areas, are built and insulated in such a way as to keep heat out not in. Add to that the typical heat pump heating system which usually works well in our normal mild winters but can't warm a house when the outside temperature hits 35. As a pp said, the "winter" clothes we can buy here aren't meant for truly cold weather. 

I don't laugh when northern states get heat waves in summer. The summer's heat wave in Europe was terrible. Homes here pretty much all have air conditioning with the exception of very old houses. All stores have a/c. You'd have to special order a car that doesn't come with a/c. We're equipped for heat but not cold. Other areas are equipped for cold not heat. Let's show each other grace.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4

If you think that’s bad...Desmond, our kitty-cat (who I’m growing to be inordinately fond of) crawled under the covers last night and clung onto me all night in a highly successful plan to enjoy some body heat. Sort of worked out both ways.

Cats. Who knew?

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Just now, Spy Car said:

If you think that’s bad...Demond, our kitty-cat (who I’m growing to be inordinately fond of) crawled under the covers last night and clung onto me all night in a highly successful plan to enjoy some body heat. Sort of worked out both ways.

Cats. Who knew?

Bill

I remember your trepidation about getting a cat and love that you and Desmond have bonded. Cats aren't dogs and dogs aren't cats but both are wonderful pets.

• Like 4

Can I add some silliness? Someone on my neighborhood facebook page posted this and gave permission to share. It gives you an idea of what it's like when cold (ish) weather comes to Florida. 

Dear Floridians,
You are going to be ok!
I have put together some quick tips for those who aren’t sure how they are supposed to navigate this weekend’s beautiful - I mean unholy - cold weather.
- Wear real shoes. Your flip flops will have to fend for themselves for a few days. They will be okay.
- Socks! Wear them. Preferably with real shoes. Still a no on the flip flops.
- Put the doors back on your jeeps, FFS.
- Consider pants. The extra fabric may feel a tad foreign at first, but you gotta power through.
- Stock your fridge now. Publix will be closed. Assume a record number of employees will call in dead. They’ve never been this cold before, and will believe they have passed.
- There is a setting on your HVAC (Heating, ventilation, air conditioning) unit that makes it blow out warm air. Use it. Look for a little fire symbol or the word H E A T
- There is also a similar function for the ac in your car…
- Umbrella. Use an umbrella if you do venture outside. Not for rain, it will help you avoid head injuries caused by frozen iguanas falling from trees. Those suckers are heavy.
- Wash your hair now. You’re not going to this weekend. Perhaps pick up some dry shampoo on your way to pick up the last pub sub of the week.
- Take deep breaths, you got this. No deep breaths on Saturday though. You’re lungs aren’t used to air that cold. They will collapse… best hold your breath until Monday. Florida, may the odds be ever in your favor.. 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 17

1 minute ago, Lady Florida. said:

Can I add some silliness? Someone on my neighborhood facebook page posted this and gave permission to share. It gives you an idea of what it's like when cold (ish) weather comes to Florida. 

Dear Floridians,
You are going to be ok!
I have put together some quick tips for those who aren’t sure how they are supposed to navigate this weekend’s beautiful - I mean unholy - cold weather.
- Wear real shoes. Your flip flops will have to fend for themselves for a few days. They will be okay.
- Consider pants. The extra fabric may feel a tad foreign at first, but you gotta power through.
- Stock your fridge now. Publix will be closed. Assume a record number of employees will call in dead. They’ve never been this cold before, and will believe they have passed.
- There is a setting on your HVAC (Heating, ventilation, air conditioning) unit that makes it blow out warm air. Use it. Look for a little fire symbol or the word H E A T
- Umbrella. Use an umbrella if you do venture outside. Not for rain, it will help you avoid head injuries caused by frozen iguanas falling from trees. Those suckers are heavy.
- Wash your hair now. You’re not going to this weekend. Perhaps pick up some dry shampoo on your way to pick up the last pub sub of the week.
- Take deep breaths, you got this. No deep breaths on Saturday though. You’re lungs aren’t used to air that cold. They will collapse… best hold your breath until Monday. Florida, may the odds be ever in your favor.. 🤣🤣🤣

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂💀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

If you think that’s bad...Demond, our kitty-cat (who I’m growing to be inordinately fond of) crawled under the covers last night and clung onto me all night in a highly successful plan to enjoy some body heat. Sort of worked out both ways.

Cats. Who knew?

Bill

Mine sleep on my head when cold. I like your cat's method so much better. I'm so glad to see you how the two of you have bonded. Cats are interesting, weird, and wonderful pets.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Dear Floridians,
You are going to be ok!

Had to laugh because I’m sitting here reading this while I have on socks and flip flops! 🤣

• Haha 6

14 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

From The Needling:

Event organizers for what in recent years has become Seattle’s hottest ticket say spectator spots for the annual Queen Anne Sedan Snow Slam are going quickly and expected to sell out by tonight.

“VIP tickets for the MarQueen Hotel rooftop overlooking Queen Anne Avenue with all-you-can-eat Cobb’s Popcorn have already sold out as have premium outdoor seats at the Roy Street Caffé Ladro,” said event planner Gus Billings. “There are still a few spots on Livestream feeds from nearby apartment buildings available to watch the show, but not for long at this rate.”

The nearly annual occasion stars several Midwesterners in two-wheel-drive sedans eager to show off snow-driving skills learned on flat plains of salted, plowed streets to Seattleites via Queen Anne’s icy, unplowed hill that descends 500 feet in a half-mile.

“You think a few inches of snow is a reason to stop driving in this city? Oh, you babies,” said Ohio transplant Rich McDonald, the driver most heavily favored for slowly, but surely uncontrollably sliding into a pole this weekend. “I’ll show you how it’s done.”

Seattle resident Matt Tran says he’s surprising his girlfriend with livestream tickets this week for Christmas.

“I can’t think of anything more romantic than sharing a cozy, snowy week of traditional Seattle schadenfreude together.”

Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at 10.14.02 AM.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

22 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

From The Needling:

Event organizers for what in recent years has become Seattle’s hottest ticket say spectator spots for the annual Queen Anne Sedan Snow Slam are going quickly and expected to sell out by tonight.

“VIP tickets for the MarQueen Hotel rooftop overlooking Queen Anne Avenue with all-you-can-eat Cobb’s Popcorn have already sold out as have premium outdoor seats at the Roy Street Caffé Ladro,” said event planner Gus Billings. “There are still a few spots on Livestream feeds from nearby apartment buildings available to watch the show, but not for long at this rate.”

The nearly annual occasion stars several Midwesterners in two-wheel-drive sedans eager to show off snow-driving skills learned on flat plains of salted, plowed streets to Seattleites via Queen Anne’s icy, unplowed hill that descends 500 feet in a half-mile.

“You think a few inches of snow is a reason to stop driving in this city? Oh, you babies,” said Ohio transplant Rich McDonald, the driver most heavily favored for slowly, but surely uncontrollably sliding into a pole this weekend. “I’ll show you how it’s done.”

Seattle resident Matt Tran says he’s surprising his girlfriend with livestream tickets this week for Christmas.

“I can’t think of anything more romantic than sharing a cozy, snowy week of traditional Seattle schadenfreude together.”

Oh my gosh!!! Epic! I wish I could see it!

27 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

This is so true.  I remember in a work conference call someone from Chicago making a snarky comment about something they saw on their news making fun of drivers in the DFW area during a 'snow storm.'    They changed their tune when I pointed out that snow quickly turns to black ice because it doesn't get much below freezing.  He admitted that no one knows how to drive on black ice.   

DH has a friend that lives where -30F is the high.   The thing is, their houses etc. are designed for that cold of weather.   Here, every house I lived in had a water pipe exposed to the air.  That is because it generally doesn't freeze, and when it does you know ahead and toss an old blanket over it. 

Just want to vent - but it is very related to this.

Was on a news site reporting that SeaTac is closed (so it Portland) - all flights cancelled as even the runways are coated in ice - until at least noon.

the sanctimonious comments . . . . 

• Sad 3

9 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Just want to vent - but it is very related to this.

Was on a news site reporting that SeaTac is closed (so it Portland) - all flights cancelled as even the runways are coated in ice - until at least noon.

the sanctimonious comments . . . . 

Ugh! People. I just can't with people sometimes, and now is one of those times.

Why can't there just be compassion and mercy. EMS, Fire, and Police along with tow trucks and MDOT workers are out in this disaster for a nine semi struck pile up on I 94 east of Kalamazoo. NINE. We don't even know how many car may have been involved though we think very few because mostly the traffic has been only essential personnel skating their way to work and semi-drivers whose companies do not give a flip if they die so long as crap makes it from one place to another. I am just entirely weary of the lack of concern for loss of human life, and life shattering injuries. So much selfishness.

Right.there.with.you.Gardenmom!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

From The Needling:

It is not 500' - it's only 457' (wink wink nudge nudge) . . . . . - while it goes straight down, it turns before it hits the water.   

and yes - people really DO stand out there are watch (and film) as cars slide.  One video showed a subaru sliding backwards for an entire block on one video. . . .  (there's a very long car bowling video from Portland's notorious hill in 2016?)

I really needed this after reading the nasty comments (on a news site) about seatac closing for the ice storm (temps are slowly warming and hopes the ice will start melting)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shawthorne44 said:

This is so true.  I remember in a work conference call someone from Chicago making a snarky comment about something they saw on their news making fun of drivers in the DFW area during a 'snow storm.'    They changed their tune when I pointed out that snow quickly turns to black ice because it doesn't get much below freezing.  He admitted that no one knows how to drive on black ice.   

DH has a friend that lives where -30F is the high.   The thing is, their houses etc. are designed for that cold of weather.   Here, every house I lived in had a water pipe exposed to the air.  That is because it generally doesn't freeze, and when it does you know ahead and toss an old blanket over it. 

I remember when I was in high school here in Los Angeles. We had a freak storm that dropped snow at an unusually low level in the local mountains. One of my buddies talked his mom into letting him take us up to the "snow" in his mom's Impala.

We ended up stopping at a store one we hit "snow." When we got back in the car and tried to leave, the Impala started sliding uncontrollably all over the large parking lot. Having no experience with black ice, my friend kept over correcting. The car was completely out of his control.

By a miracle, we came to a stop without hitting anything. But that gave me a life-long respect for the dangers of black ice.

Bill

• Like 5

Here's some examples of that snow slam from  -- (elsewhere someone suggested many of these cars likely only have all-season tires.  nope, not good enough for snow, let alone black ice.)

And Queen Anne Hill  (where you'll notice there's hardly any snow - but lots of black ice.) - the music is super obnoxious so you might want to just turn it off.

Not a subaru can drive in snow commerical . . . . (they were rooting for him to make it up)

5 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Dear Floridians,
You are going to be ok!

I have absolutely planned my hair washing schedule around the weather. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Here's some examples of that snow slam from  -- (elsewhere someone suggested many of these cars likely only have all-season tires.  nope, not good enough for snow, let alone black ice.)

And Queen Anne Hill  (where you'll notice there's hardly any snow - but lots of black ice.) - the music is super obnoxious so you might want to just turn it off.

Not a subaru can drive in snow commerical . . . . (they were rooting for him to make it up)

Gardenmom, it was like the watching bumper cars! It could be a ride at the county fair.

Seattle should put a parking lot at the top and one at the bottom, close the road, and install a ski lift. In the winter, folks just take the lift to wherever they want to go or pick up their car in one place or the other to drive anywhere that isn't that hill! 😂😂😂

Edited by Faith-manor

2 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

I have absolutely planned my hair washing schedule around the weather. 

Same. 

My big regret yesterday?? Since we had no ice or anything, we went ahead and went to fencing. 

Whereupon I got extremely sweaty. (fencing is from 6-8 pm, then we hung out and socialized till 10, got home about 10:30/23* outside....). So, of course, *had* to shower. 

But it was *cold!* (inside, we'd set the heater down to 69 for bedtime, and it's not keeping up well, so downstairs is about 2-3 degrees below where it's set....). I was so annoyed that I'd put  myself in the position of needing a shower, while not wanting to wash my hair, b/c, cold! (I did, don't worry....I wore a  hoody to bed until I warmed up, LOL!). 

• Like 1