Menu

If a mom introduces someone as “Kid’s Dad”

Drama Llama

11 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

would you take that as a statement about their relationship?

DH is furious I referred to him that way today.  

I can see why he's upset. I'd try to pay attention to the feeling there and not about the specifics. Obviously, he feels insecure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it depends on context. When my kids are in activities, addressing my husband as kid’s dad would make the other parents wonder if I am either the step mom or we are divorced. If I say kid’s dad at the doctor’s office or the dentist, it is just letting the doctor or dentist know he is the dad in case they want to discuss followups needed and isn’t sure if he is my brother or my spouse (since I am always the one doing the doctor/dentist checkins). 

• Like 4

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

I can see why he's upset. I'd try to pay attention to the feeling there and not about the specifics. Obviously, he feels insecure. 

He can feel what he feels, but it's still not ok to express the fury to you. 

He needs to go journal that out or something. It's awfully controlling to express fury at your use of a common phrase that means, this is my children's father, we are not together, which merely reflects a fact of your lives currently. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Melissa Louise said:

He can feel what he feels, but it's still not ok to express the fury to you. 

He needs to go journal that out or something. It's awfully controlling to express fury at your use of a common phrase that means, this is my children's father, we are not together, which merely reflects a fact of your lives currently. 

It's been my experience that expressing one's feelings to the other person is useful, as long as you aren't trying to use the feeling as a justification to control someone else.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

It's been my experience that expressing one's feelings to the other person is useful, as long as you aren't trying to use the feeling as a justification to control someone else.

Expressing as in calmly and privately telling me?  That would be fine.  But I wouldn’t describe that as furious.

Just now, Baseballandhockey said:

Expressing as in calmly and privately telling me?  That would be fine.  But I wouldn’t describe that as furious.

No, I've actually been finding that being forthright is really useful, even when it's not calm. I can't manage calm forthrightness a lot of the time. 

Was he furious in the "don't say that again!" way? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

No, I've actually been finding that being forthright is really useful, even when it's not calm. I can't manage calm forthrightness a lot of the time. 

Was he furious in the "don't say that again!" way? 

He was furious in the yelling at me in a parking lot full of my kids’ classmates and their parents way.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 41

I actually have a different perspective because this is wording I consider and vacillate between and my kids’ dad and I are very much married and together. I have times when I feel like I should say he’s kid in question’s dad rather than my husband, otherwise I feel like it might be taken that he’s my husband, but not the kid’s dad. I think that might be because I have grown kids and little kids? I think it would be easy for someone to think there was more than one father involved, so I always want to make sure they know he’s also their dad, not just my spouse. 

• Like 13

My husband would probably be a little put off if I referred to him simply as my kid's dad, but then I don't get the impression you would be referring to DH as my loving husband...

Also my husband would not yell at me in front of everyone about this simple exchange even if he were unhappy about it. He would probably talk to me later about it and we can discuss what he would like to be introduced as; therefore he gets to be introduced as "my dear loving husband and soulmate". I'm being a bit sarcastic I just introduce him as my husband.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I think for me, I'd feel really upset about this because this interchange embarrassed me in front of other people. 

I think I'd probably tell that to him to get that out. But then I'd try to figure out what it was he was reacting to. 

She introduced him as her kid’s dad.   He completely flipped his lid and made a huge screaming fight in front of his kids’ friends and their parents.  He was scary, and his actions may impact the relationships and opportunities her kids have.  He was abusive and manipulative doing that and making it out like it’s @Baseballandhockey’s fault for not phrasing things the way he wants 100% of the time.  He’s an asshole.  

This isn’t the first time he’s made a scene like this.  I don’t care what he’s reacting to. I would be done and try to limit how much he can see my kids.  

• Like 33

24 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I think for me, I'd feel really upset about this because this interchange embarrassed me in front of other people. 

I think I'd probably tell that to him to get that out. But then I'd try to figure out what it was he was reacting to. 

Trying to figure out the motivation of someone this delicate can easily become a type of self-abuse, because they are fragile and could react to anything. 

Exactly how does he expect to be introduced then? Y'all aren't together. 

Actually, scratch that. Don't introduce him. He can introduce himself.  

31 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

He's reacting to the fact that they are split up and he's perpetually pissed off at his soon-to-be-ex-wife.  

• Like 21

9 minutes ago, Terabith said:

She introduced him as her kid’s dad.   He completely flipped his lid and made a huge screaming fight in front of his kids’ friends and their parents.  He was scary, and his actions may impact the relationships and opportunities her kids have.  He was abusive and manipulative doing that and making it out like it’s @Baseballandhockey’s fault for not phrasing things the way he wants 100% of the time.  He’s an asshole.  

This isn’t the first time he’s made a scene like this.  I don’t care what he’s reacting to. I would be done and try to limit how much he can see my kids.  

Well, that's a reasonable response, yes. You can decide you're done with this person and will now try to limit the damage. That's valid. 

But if there's still supposed to be any kind of relationship, then yes, I'd try to figure out where the other person was coming from. People aren't rational. 

2 hours ago, Baseballandhockey said:

would you take that as a statement about their relationship?

yes, but what is says varies by the audience.

lots of divorced/never married parents - Maybe you're still with their dad, or maybe you have a civil enough relationship with an ex that he came with you.

lots of long-term married people - they'd assume your husband was your kids dad.

Myself, and friends with very large gaps between youngest and next youngest - have often had to correct people who assumed this was a 2nd (or later) marriage or relationship and that the kids didn't all have the same dad.

And I was just at a very large birthday party for two of my brother's grandkids (their birthdays are a week apart.) by his first ex-wife . . .   - that was fun trying to explain relationships . . .  his 2nd ex-wife was there too.  (he was not.)

• Like 2

I'm sorry this happened to you. He has no right to behave that way. I've heard many introduce that way, whether married or apart. The fact is that you are not together. I'm also confident that you were completely calm in introducing him as "Kid's Dad" and the only one who turned this into a big, loud, ugly thing was him. If any of the people who saw it happen are willing to tell your lawyer about his crazy rage in the parking lot, it may help your case. 

• Like 14

It sounds like he really really hates that his actions have real life consequences. He doesn’t want a hint of a perceived public slight for himself but he’s oK making a dramatic, embarrassing scene? All he did was cement his Baby Daddy status. I hope you take separate cars from now on and you can just get in yours and leave him there ranting at the air. 

• Like 8

I am sorry.  That is not a fair or reasonable response.  Trust and relationships are built and earned, not given on demand.  The lack of self awareness is pretty alarming.  You aren’t responsible for his feelings about something so small or his way out of proportion response.  

4 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Is "soon-to-be-ex-wife" definite or does he have hopes of reconciling? I don't know the whole story here. 

I can imagine if someone is going to scream at you in public places creating problems not only for OP But for the young teens involved, you aren’t helping to foster an environment where that can happen.   

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I'm sorry this happened to you. He has no right to behave that way. I've heard many introduce that way, whether married or apart. The fact is that you are not together. I'm also confident that you were completely calm in introducing him as "Kid's Dad" and the only one who turned this into a big, loud, ugly thing was him. If any of the people who saw it happen are willing to tell your lawyer about his crazy rage in the parking lot, it may help your case. 

School security came over.  It’s not the first time.  I may ask my lawyer about that.

The people I said the comment to were supposed to take my kid to an out of state event tomorrow.  That’s the other thing he was ranting about.  I am worried that they’re going to back out.  I am pretty sure I would in their shoes.  So, I need to figure out what to do if they do back out.

• Sad 28

To me that would mean he doesn’t have a relationship with you anymore, but is still the kid’s parent: the fact that he’s angry would imply he’s not happy about the situation. The fact that he’s so openly angry in a public way and uncontrolled makes me hope you’re safe 😞 

I know I’ve missed bits of your story though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baseballandhockey said:

School security came over.  It’s not the first time.  I may ask my lawyer about that.

The people I said the comment to were supposed to take my kid to an out of state event tomorrow.  That’s the other thing he was ranting about.  I am worried that they’re going to back out.  I am pretty sure I would in their shoes.  So, I need to figure out what to do if they do back out.

I hope you talk to your lawyer and you are able to have your custody agreement augmented to prevent him from attending school/sporting events.  His behavior is way out of line. Hopefully your son didn’t have to witness this out burst. Your right this is going to eventually impact your son’s social connections. Other parents will judge. If I was just looking in from the outside I wouldn’t want my kid around your dh if our kids were friends. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, KSera said:

I actually have a different perspective because this is wording I consider and vacillate between and my kids’ dad and I are very much married and together. I have times when I feel like I should say he’s kid in question’s dad rather than my husband, otherwise I feel like it might be taken that he’s my husband, but not the kid’s dad. I think that might be because I have grown kids and little kids? I think it would be easy for someone to think there was more than one father involved, so I always want to make sure they know he’s also their dad, not just my spouse. 

I have to deal with this exact issue today.

I am calling a woman I have never met to RSVP that Spencer will be attending her son's birthday party. DH will be accompanying him.

So I could tell her "Spencer will be coming with his dad" which sounds like we are divorced and his dad has custody that weekend.

Or I could tell her "Spencer will be coming with my husband" which sounds like he is Spencer's stepfather.

• Like 12

Wait, what did he perceive as the best way to introduce him? Did he want you to say this is “Name.” Or this is “name, x’s father” or this is my ex spouse? 

I would take it as a reference to the relationship but since you aren’t together I’m not sure what you did “wrong”?? 

my guess is he wanted no doubt that you were once together lest someone think he was a one night stand?? 

But I overthink so… just ask him to clarify. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, heartlikealion said:

Wait, what did he perceive as the best way to introduce him? Did he want you to say this is “Name.” Or this is “name, x’s father” or this is my ex spouse? 

I would take it as a reference to the relationship but since you aren’t together I’m not sure what you did “wrong”?? 

my guess is he wanted no doubt that you were once together lest someone think he was a one night stand?? 

But I overthink so… just ask him to clarify. 

He wants me to introduce him as “my husband”.  Which he technically is.  Of course he is also technically my children’s father.

• Confused 5

2 minutes ago, wendyroo said:

I have to deal with this exact issue today.

I am calling a woman I have never met to RSVP that Spencer will be attending her son's birthday party. DH will be accompanying him.

So I could tell her "Spencer will be coming with his dad" which sounds like we are divorced and his dad has custody that weekend.

Or I could tell her "Spencer will be coming with my husband" which sounds like he is Spencer's stepfather.

I’d say “Dad” in place of “his dad” if it sounds better. Although that could sound like your dad. She gave you a number. I might just text lol “Spencer + Dad will be there.” And she can assume whatever she wants. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

He wants me to introduce him as “my husband”.  Which he technically is.  Of course he is also technically my children’s father.

This is a pending divorce? I thought this was an ex spouse. I thought you had court orders and all (maybe just temp orders?). 
Yeah it’s awkward. That happened to me at my mom’s funeral. Divorce was pending. Someone said who’s this and we just said husband. Ugh it was easier. I can see both ways. 

• Like 2

I'm in a long term marriage, and I know that I've referred to my husband both ways, depending on context.  If he walked up while I was talking to a new couple at church, I'd introduce him as my husband.  If I was introducing him to one of kids' friends, I'd say he was 'Kid's dad'. If I'm talking about him doing something, I use what fits with what the job and relationship in question.  If a doctor asked if somebody could accompany me to an appointment to drive me home, I'd say that my husband would.  If somebody asked about supervision, chaperoning, or driving of kids, I'd say that their dad was doing it.  

I know that last year there was a situation where I met somebody as 'kid's dad' and assumed that the parents were together by the context, but later the dad had a medical crisis and the mom posted about 'kid's dad' being in the hospital and in that situation it was obvious that they were not together because in that context it wouldn't make any sense.  My assumptions don't matter much either way in the context of a kid activity - I wouldn't be taken aback if somebody asked 'Are you picking up the kid or will their dad?', although people who know us better will ask 'Are you picking up the kid or is Fred?', making the relationship irrelevant.  

Either way, in the unlikely case that he was bothered I could see my husband asking me to do something different, but yelling in the parking lot over this, or over anything, enough to require security to check is a problem.  In my circles, people wouldn't care whether the person in question was my husband or the kids' dad, but they would be hesitant to allow their kids around somebody with a temper like that.  

• Like 16

I am so @Baseballandhockey.  This has nothing to do with proper introductions and everything to do with his emotional and mental state……which I think we can agree is unstable and dangerous.  He is going to end up with a restraining order and not even be able to see his kids or be at their events. 

Definitely call your attorney and get his advice.  

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 16
  • Sad 1

Yes, calling a man your “kids father” does say something about your relationship. But that in no way justifies any of this. Did the other parents hear all of this? What was he mad about the out of town trip? Did your son hear it? You should talk to your lawyer about getting witness statements (including from the school security). I’m so so sorry. 

• Like 2

I have introduced by dh in that way.  It really just depends on the context.  As in, what is it most important for the audience to know, his relationship with me or with our dc?  In that scenario, another family taking my dc somewhere, I would think it would be most important to know that he was the father as that is more relevant to any situation that might arise during the time the dc spends with that family.

But as others have said, that does not matter in this case.  No matter how you introduced him, the reaction is WAY inappropriate.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yes to the part I bolded.

OP, I might just say moving forward I would not be doing the introductions lol. Then if he says something I don't like, it's my choice to correct/explain the titles or ignore. 

But mostly I'd just refuse to be at these events with him if at all practical. 

• Like 2