Menu

When do I go to the doctor? Warning TMI

Scarlett

My digestive system has always been pretty good. Not perfect,  but ok.  2 years ago I had my first colonoscopy and I was told I have an long and torturous colon. And full of diverticula but no infection.  He told me to repeat the colonoscopy in 3 years and to go to a high fiber diet. So I have tried very hard to do that. Most days I eat a cup of cherries or berries or raspberries in plain Greek yogurt with a TBLE of chia seeds.  I eat black beans, avocados, sweet potatoes etc regularly.

2 weeks ago things just seemed to come almost to a halt.  I am not throwing up or anything, but none of the normal things are working.  Strong coffee, plenty of water (80 ounces per day)…I even tried Benefiber  morning and night this weekend.  Nothing.  Or I should say not much.  I just feel terrible and can’t shake the feeling something is not right.  I went and bought some stool softener, and just now took 3.  

I just dread calling the doctors office and saying I can’t, you know…..poop.  

Any ideas.  

• Sad 2

Ugh.  I am leaning toward doc too……….but my sister is coming to town tomorrow…..I planned to take some time off work and I sure did not want to use time off for doctor!  

Yesterday I had a cup of black beans. Today and yesterday I increased my chia seeds to almost 2 Tbles.  

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

Ugh.  I am leaning toward doc too……….but my sister is coming to town tomorrow…..I planned to take some time off work and I sure did not want to use time off for doctor!  

Yesterday I had a cup of black beans. Today and yesterday I increased my chia seeds to almost 2 Tbles.  

I’m not super familiar with chia seeds, but too many can also cause GI upset I think. Is it possible you’re getting too much fiber? You could try taking miralax for a couple of days (it is not immediate), but I still recommend the doctor. Sorry. 😔

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mmasc said:

I’m not super familiar with chia seeds, but too many can also cause GI upset I think. Is it possible you’re getting too much fiber? You could try taking miralax for a couple of days (it is not immediate), but I still recommend the doctor. Sorry. 😔

Digestive upset yes…..if a person can’t handle the fiber…..but I don’t think it would cause constipation.  

Oh, you poor thing. Yes to prune juice. I would also personally try a regular stimulant laxative (not just a stool softener). But I don't have any idea if that might be a bad idea with your colon condition and especially since it has been two weeks. You probably should see a doctor. So sorry. image.png.5ea1cf3f6b82688b06029efb333c57b8.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A change in bowels like that means you need to see the doctor asap. 

It might be that you need to add a lot more plant fiber to your diet(assuming your doctor says everything else checks out okay) . Most Americans (like 97% of them) are severely fiber deficient and don't realize how much more plant fiber they should be consuming. If your diet is based on greens, beans, whole grains, nuts, and seeds, it is near impossible to be constipated.

Look up Dr. Will Bulsiewicz - he's one of the top gastroenterologists in the country and author of the book Fiber Fueled. He has loads of great advice on all things related to gut health and digestive issues.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You need medical assistance after 3 days of not having a bowel movement.  Honestly I would go to the ER.  They can do some imaging and figure out what is going on, and honestly this can end you up in the ICU faster than you think.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I thought seeds were not good for people with diverticulitis. Might be something to ask about (could be outdated information, etc. or very important!). 

• Like 5

Just now, kbutton said:

I thought seeds were not good for people with diverticulitis. Might be something to ask about (could be outdated information, etc. or very important!). 

It is outdated information.  But chia seeds don’t stay seed like once they get wet.  They expand into a gel like substance. I will definitely ask though.  

• Like 2

This is probably not going to be particularly helpful and especially because I have no specifics to go along with my experience, but here goes.

I planned a home birth with a midwife.  My water broke first and we tried several things to get the contractions to start on their own.  The last ditch effort was castor oil. I don't remember how much I drank but I can tell you that it cleaned me out real good and fairly quickly because 24hrs after my water broke, we headed to the hospital.  TMI back at ya.

Doc visit sounds like a good idea.  Good for you for increasing your fiber intake naturally 2 years ago. Fiber is essential but not discussed likely because it's typically not a product to be sold for profit in general.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sunshine State Sue said:

This is probably not going to be particularly helpful and especially because I have no specifics to go along with my experience, but here goes.

I planned a home birth with a midwife.  My water broke first and we tried several things to get the contractions to start on their own.  The last ditch effort was castor oil. I don't remember how much I drank but I can tell you that it cleaned me out real good and fairly quickly because 24hrs after my water broke, we headed to the hospital.  TMI back at ya.

Doc visit sounds like a good idea.  Good for you for increasing your fiber intake naturally 2 years ago. Fiber is essential but not discussed likely because it's typically not a product to be sold for profit in general.

Thank you.  This is part of why I am avoiding the doctor…..is he just going to tell me, ‘drink some prune juice…or castor oil’?  Hard to know what is reasonable. Can they do an X-ray of my gut?  Or will a more extensive test be required?

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis in January. I had an infection. I switched my diet and have been fine until a few weeks ago. I'm not a doctor, but perhaps you are consuming too much fiber. I also that if you're passing nothing, like not even gas, you probably need to see your doctor. 

I wasn't having the intense pain this week like I did in January but I knew things weren't working right. I started belly massage (you can google how to do that) and switched back to a low fiber diet for the week. It has helped. Before that I'd eating my Bran Flakes every morning, having blueberries everynight. I also take a stool softner every day (started after hysterectomy last year). 

Also, my fail safe food when I need to go is Dr. Pepper and Taco Bell. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Thank you.  This is part of why I am avoiding the doctor…..is he just going to tell me, ‘drink some prune juice…or castor oil’?  Hard to know what is reasonable. Can they do an X-ray of my gut?  Or will a more extensive test be required?

Yes, they can x-ray to see how backed up you are.

• Thanks 1

If it’s been more than three days, I get to work hardcore on making something happen.

You may recall I cared for my mom — she was in and out of hospitals with issues related to her torturous colon, and gut. Yikes. 

So — prunes, yes, and all the stuff. There’s some “bomb” drink you can make, too, with prune juice and Dr Pepper. But at three days, I’d be pulling out the laxatives. If that didn’t work — it’s off to the doc. And if it’s closer to two weeks, I don’t know if I’d want to try anything like that, it would just be straight to the doc. You need imaging.

Not to scare you, but if you’re not going at all, you probably don’t want to just keep eating. The results of that can be very unpleasant, and of course you can land in the ICU.

I would call your insurance nurse line tonight, and go to the ER if they advise it. Otherwise see the doc tomorrow.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Too much info please don't quote I will delete 

I have trouble in that area, and have had  hemorrhoid  surgery down there as well which resulted in being closed too tight. I eat a high fibre diet including bean and Lentil soup every day for lunch, but it isn't enough

If I go 2 days without something I take laxatives. I find movicol nice and gentle 

Waiting a long time results in toxins being absorbed into your body and can make you very ill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Spryte said:

If it’s been more than three days, I get to work hardcore on making something happen.

You may recall I cared for my mom — she was in and out of hospitals with issues related to her torturous colon, and gut. Yikes. 

So — prunes, yes, and all the stuff. There’s some “bomb” drink you can make, too, with prune juice and Dr Pepper. But at three days, I’d be pulling out the laxatives. If that didn’t work — it’s off to the doc. And if it’s closer to two weeks, I don’t know if I’d want to try anything like that, it would just be straight to the doc. You need imaging.

Not to scare you, but if you’re not going at all, you probably don’t want to just keep eating. The results of that can be very unpleasant, and of course you can land in the ICU.

I would call your insurance nurse line tonight, and go to the ER if they advise it. Otherwise see the doc tomorrow.

To clarify…..things are moving very very slowly and weirdly. I had my normal fruit, yogurt chia seeds for breakfast….Nachos for lunch….and nothing for supper…..but now I feel a little hungry at 10 pm and I am eating popcorn. 

26 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

To clarify…..things are moving very very slowly and weirdly. I had my normal fruit, yogurt chia seeds for breakfast….Nachos for lunch….and nothing for supper…..but now I feel a little hungry at 10 pm and I am eating popcorn. 

Popcorn is probably a bad idea for folks with diverticuli. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I think it's less risky to try to fix it at home if things are still moving, but you also mentioned having a feeling that things are not right. 

I really would call the nurse line at your doctor's office. I don't think feelings like that should be ignored. Diverticulitis can be a big deal. Some people are fine for a long time; others have bowel blockages at the drop of a hat and end up hospitalized over and over. If you have to have surgery, you are at risk for adhesions that just complicate things more over time.

The worst that will happen is a little embarrassment but some relief with a monitored plan for getting things working again. The worst--surgery because things are that bad or have gone on too long. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, elegantlion said:

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis in January. I had an infection. I switched my diet and have been fine until a few weeks ago. I'm not a doctor, but perhaps you are consuming too much fiber. I also that if you're passing nothing, like not even gas, you probably need to see your doctor. 

I wasn't having the intense pain this week like I did in January but I knew things weren't working right. I started belly massage (you can google how to do that) and switched back to a low fiber diet for the week. It has helped. Before that I'd eating my Bran Flakes every morning, having blueberries everynight. I also take a stool softner every day (started after hysterectomy last year). 

Also, my fail safe food when I need to go is Dr. Pepper and Taco Bell. 

Ha,I had diet dp and Taco Bell for lunch. 

too much fiber?  I don’t understand. 

43 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

You could have a partial obstruction that is backing things up but still allowing a little bit to pass. If it were me I would see a doctor ASAP because two weeks of this is a long time, and things can go from uncomfortable to really bad quite quickly.

I would also skip the chia seeds for now and go for other forms of fiber (like prunes), because unless you are grinding and/or soaking them really well before eating, and drinking a lot of extra water or other liquids during the day, chia seeds can pull the moisture out of your intestines and cause a blockage. I have a couple of tablespoons of chia seeds with breakfast every day, but I grind them up super well in a smoothie that has at least 16 oz of liquid, and I drink a lot of water or herbal tea during the day. When I first started using chia seeds I was just adding them to oatmeal and not grinding them up or making sure I was getting enough water, and they caused issues with constipation.

• Like 4

In 2008 I had weird severe pain.  It started at my friends house when we went walking up a steep hill…it felt like a catch in my side.  24 hours later when I was home the pain was much worse.  I woke up on a Monday morning and told then husband I needed him to take me to the doctor.  We took ds who was 8 to the neighbors and went to our GP.  After HOURS of pain and agony they did a cat scan…after it was read the doctor came out and asked then husband if he could take me to ER next door. Once there the doc told me my appendix had burst and I would be very sick for many days. My parents were out of town and drove like a mad to get to me…..just before I went into surgery.  I awoke about 11 pm feeling like a million bucks.  I literally felt for the bandage…..completely surprised I was out of surgery.  They took me to my room…feed me the best broth of my life…and I went to sleep.  
The next morning the surgeon comes by and told me my appendix was not burst…and furthermore  he saw nothing wrong with it….but of course took it out anyway, since I was already in surgery.  Later pathology confirmed…nothing wrong with my appendix. 

2 years later…..exact same pain.  Clearly not my appendix. I suffered through that episode…..but then I began to wonder….maybe this is some Intestinal issue…..  so I now believe that burst appendix was actually a diverticulitis flare up.  And after my colonoscopy I believe that even more. 

• Like 1

My 2cents...I am disappointed in prune juice lately, although it is said to be a good idea. The brand I get is so watered down compared to 20-30 years ago when I do remember it having some substance to it. 

I have heard of using castor oil, that would be a good option.

Or pick up a box of 'Smooth Move' tea and fix yourself a cup with 2-3 teabags in it.  I can say this stuff works!  But like other things, it seems like they are putting less tea leaves in each bag now as compared to 5 years ago when 1 bag would do it for me within a few hours. If you drink it at night, you may not get movement until morning. Just something I have noticed with this tea recently. I was surprised as to how this tea would actually work!  

Or have you tried a cup of hot water with some apple cider vinegar in it?  I thought I remembered this helping for this, not sure. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

You could have a partial obstruction that is backing things up but still allowing a little bit to pass. If it were me I would see a doctor ASAP because two weeks of this is a long time, and things can go from uncomfortable to really bad quite quickly.

I would also skip the chia seeds for now and go for other forms of fiber (like prunes), because unless you are grinding and/or soaking them really well before eating, and drinking a lot of extra water or other liquids during the day, chia seeds can pull the moisture out of your intestines and cause a blockage. I have a couple of tablespoons of chia seeds with breakfast every day, but I grind them up super well in a smoothie that has at least 16 oz of liquid, and I drink a lot of water or herbal tea during the day. When I first started using chia seeds I was just adding them to oatmeal and not grinding them up or making sure I was getting enough water, and they caused issues with constipation.

Thank you.  I drink plenty of water and have been adding chia seeds for over 2 years…but yes, something is off so I need to see my doctor. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ***** said:

My 2cents...I am disappointed in prune juice lately, although it is said to be a good idea. The brand I get is so watered down compared to 20-30 years ago when I do remember it having some substance to it. 

I have heard of using castor oil, that would be a good option.

Or pick up a box of 'Smooth Move' tea and fix yourself a cup with 2-3 teabags in it.  I can say this stuff works!  But like other things, it seems like they are putting less tea leaves in each bag now as compared to 5 years ago when 1 bag would do it for me within a few hours. If you drink it at night, you may not get movement until morning. Just something I have noticed with this tea recently. I was surprised as to how this tea would actually work!  

Or have you tried a cup of hot water with some apple cider vinegar in it?  I thought I remembered this helping for this, not sure. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

I meant to buy some prunes tonight after work and forgot. I had two 16 ounces bottles of apple juice yesterday.

Do you have epsom salts?   Have a good soak before bed, magnesium gives relief as well (and you wouldn't have to drink nasty apple cider tea!😉) It may help you to sleep better anyway until you can call the doctor in the morning.

Or if you have any other magnesium product in the house... I remembered that also...

• Like 2

I have/had a similar colon (have had two colon resections with 75% of my colon removed because of obstructions).  I suffered with partial and total obstructions for years.  My colon would frequently twist, which caused distention and pain though.  I was told not to eat a lot of fiber (and that is still the case now) because it makes the colon work too hard.  The best thing for partial obstructions is a liquid diet with very low fiber.  Yogurt, ice cream, pudding, etc.  I'm trying to remember what else I ate when I was on a liquid diet but you could look it up.  Even just soft things like pasta, mashed potatoes, etc.  If you are having an obstruction you want to allow your colon to rest as much as possible.  Definitely nothing difficult to digest like chia seeds and popcorn.

But I agree that the best thing to do is call your doctor to find out if you need to be seen. A CT scan will show if there is an obstruction.  

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Hiw much water do you drink? Fibre needs enough fluid to allow for easy passage.  For reference I average 25 to 30 grams of fibre a day and drink around 4 litres of fluids together.

Yes, this. You need lots of fluid at this point (all the time but definitely when constipated). Prune and apple juice are helpful. Oatmeal is very helpful for me. Exercise is also beneficial, helps keep things moving. 

I have diverticulitis. Chia, nuts and other seeds don’t bother me, but popcorn and whole kernel corn too often actually do tend to aggravate my system. Same for beans, I eat them in moderation.  Leafy greens are important and a different way to get fiber. My instructions are to eat a low fiber soft diet when I feel a flare up, and otherwise to eat both soluble and insoluble fiber and a daily probiotic supplement.

In your shoes, I’d try a glycerin suppository (in addition to laying off the high fiber diet aside from a bit of miralax and increasing fluid intake). If that didn’t produce fairly swift results I’d be calling the doctor. Be sure to monitor your temperature as fever (even low grade) is a signal of an infection. That bought me a trip to the ER for two bags of kick-ass IV antibiotics followed by two weeks of abx horse pills. 

FWIW, anyone with digestive issues should have a printed copy of the Bristol Stool Chart. And yes, look at your poop before flushing! It’s very telling and if you make a habit of observing things it’s easier to note when you might need a diet adjustment or a call to the doc. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

What foods should you avoid if you have diverticulitis?

Foods to avoid with diverticulitis include high-fiber options such as:

Whole grains.

Fruits and vegetables with the skin and seeds.

Nuts and seeds.

Beans.

Popcorn.

Yes.  There are different recommendations for diverticular disease and for active diverticulitis:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diverticular-disease-and-diverticulitis/

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Digestive upset yes…..if a person can’t handle the fiber…..but I don’t think it would cause constipation.  

I haven’t read all of the replies yet, but — yes, too much fiber or too much of the wrong type of fiber can cause horrific constipation for some people. I have IBS-C. Things like beans and prune juice make my issues much, much worse. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I haven’t read all of the replies yet, but — yes, too much fiber or too much of the wrong type of fiber can cause horrific constipation for some people. I have IBS-C. Things like beans and prune juice make my issues much, much worse. 

I agree.

I would lay off the beans and chia seeds. What has worked best here is apple juice, actual prunes, not the juice, and Miralax.

Eta: just a quick Google shows many places saying chia seeds can cause constipation. 

Edited by KeriJ
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Scarlett said:

too much fiber?  I don’t understand. 

More TMI.  I have been eating a whole food plant based diet for 10 years now.  I followed Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live book.  He says 'the salad is the main dish'. In the beginning, I would eat 2 large salads a day.  My poops were so large, I regularly had to use a toilet plunger to unstop the toilet.  PITA on vacation.  I think it was too much fiber.  I eventually reduced to 1 large salad a day and no longer have that problem.  FTR, I am rarely constipated.

• Like 1

I regularly drink at least 80 ounces a day. Usually more.

I have been eating chia seeds for 2 years at least 5 days a week.  I did not think I had issues before I started that but things definitely improved.  Never had a problem. 

I am not having pain.  Just icky bloating.  Things moved a little this morning, but I still don’t feel right.