Menu

Johnny Depp Defamation Lawsuit

Chelli

I went to college with a guy whose wife would do things like pin him to the garage door with a car.  

DH is one that would never hit a female even to fight back.  It is totally his upbringing.  His sister, around 10 years older than him used to plague him (and I think to an abusive extent).   Once he hit his sister and his dad came down hard on him in unprecedented ways.  

• Sad 2

On 4/21/2022 at 5:33 PM, bolt. said:

That's a good perspective too. It is important to recognize that men can be abused, and that all domestic violence is deeply damaging.

Just an add-on that my brother has spent the last two years getting out of a DV marriage. For the last few years, his wife/ex has hit, bit, kicked, spit, and shoved him (repeatedly), thrown solid objects at him, and threatened him both with violence (shooting him) as well as with ruining his reputation by claiming he abused her. 

He is a very tall / good sized guy (she is average). They have long lived in a very conservative state and my brother has long felt he just had to put up with it to get out of the marriage, due to embarrassment and fear of not being believed.

DV of women is far more common but men often never get recognition or help. 

Edited by Happy2BaMom
  • Like 5
  • Sad 6

11 hours ago, kiwik said:

They can be and are.  But it does have to be accepted that in the vast majority of cases a man is stronger than a woman and if he chose to he could defend himself successfully.  A woman who tries to defend herself against anabusive man usually ends up in hospital.  Yes many men are reluctant to fight back due to their upbringing - but he is physically able too.  

I've been thinking about this post and why it has been bothering me. I think it's because it represents a misunderstanding of domestic violence as a whole, just kind of assuming that most DV is a kind of body-vs-body style of attack. But it's not. So much of DV involves weapons (that more than equalize the physical differences between men and women), fear and surprise, control, intimidation, threats against pets or loved ones, financial disempowerment, verbal attacks, gaslighting, spiritual abuse... the list goes on and on.

Sure, in hand-to-hand combat an untrained man will likely overpower an untrained woman -- but it only takes the smallest thing (one 'self defense' class, or the proverbial frying pan) to change even that differential. Women can easily put men in the hospital too. But beyond that: an abuse scenario is so much more than simply body strength being used as a weapon. There are dozens of things that can be used as a weapon. All of which are available to women.

You can't be physically able to 'fight back' against someone who threatens to poison your dog. Or who has you removed from your own bank accounts. A man's advantage of upper body strength is ill suited to defending him in so many ways, if his partner is choosing violence and oppression against him. It seems so unfair to imagine he could just hit her back as if it was his 'honour' that keeps him bound to his abuser instead of her completely effective forms of legitimate oppression.

• Like 11

On 4/20/2022 at 6:30 PM, Chelli said:

I'm not normally a follower of Hollywood personalities, but I ran across a live feed of the trial and was riveted. 

So far all I've heard is Johnny's testimony, and I'm just like 😳. His ex-wife sounds unhinged. She should have accepted her divorce settlement and just let it go.

I'm streaming this series and a I'm a little put out that they're on hiatus.  Wait until you get to the episodes where the ex-wife is on the stand.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'm streaming this series and a I'm a little put out that they're on hiatus.  Wait until you get to the episodes where the ex-wife is on the stand.

Yes, I'm catching up during the hiatus. 

I can tell from the headlines I've been seeing that I'm really glad I'm not on this jury. I feel like it will be difficult to decide this case. 

2 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

Guys who  'joke'  about *"'*ing their wife's burnt corpse, and who regularly act out and black out due to alcohol and drug binges are not nice guys. JD has hired some effective PR, that's for sure. 

By the same token, women who take a crap in someone's bed as a 'joke' and who act out due to alcohol and drug binges are not nice women. 

I'm pretty sure neither of them are nice people when they're drinking and drugging, and I'm pretty sure they'll both be better people when they stay far, far away from each other. 

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, katilac said:

By the same token, women who take a crap in someone's bed as a 'joke' and who act out due to alcohol and drug binges are not nice women. 

I'm pretty sure neither of them are nice people when they're drinking and drugging, and I'm pretty sure they'll both be better people when they stay far, far away from each other. 

UK judge found that allegation likely not to be true ( the bed one). 

I just think it's bizarre the rehabbing of JD's reputation going on. 

6 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

I think you are correct about effective PR, and also her lawyers suck, lol.

the main one (I think) objected to his own question. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, kiwik said:

They can be and are.  But it does have to be accepted that in the vast majority of cases a man is stronger than a woman and if he chose to he could defend himself successfully.  A woman who tries to defend herself against anabusive man usually ends up in hospital.  Yes many men are reluctant to fight back due to their upbringing - but he is physically able too.  

Men are more able to fight in the physical sense (much of the time), but it also has to be accepted that a man defending himself against a woman usually isn't believed. If he is believed, he is usually mocked, and runs a much higher chance of winding up in jail. 

• Like 4

I’m still on #TeamJohnny. I didn’t think Amber Heard’s testimony was even remotely believable, and her fake crying looked ridiculous. I would have assumed that she would have been a better actress than that. 

I’m not saying I think Johnny Depp is a model citizen, and heaven knows I would never want someone like him as a husband, but I hope he prevails in this case.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I’m not saying I think Johnny Depp is a model citizen, and heaven knows I would never want someone like him as a husband, but I hope he prevails in this case.

He's winning in the court of public opinion, which was probably the main goal from the beginning. 

• Like 1

Just now, katilac said:

He's winning in the court of public opinion, which was probably the main goal from the beginning. 

I’m sure you’re right, because that’s where the $$$$$ is!

He wants his career back, and right now, it looks like he may end up more popular than he has been in a long time. Amber Heard… probably not so much.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I’m still on #TeamJohnny. I didn’t think Amber Heard’s testimony was even remotely believable, and her fake crying looked ridiculous. I would have assumed that she would have been a better actress than that. 

I'm not a JD fan.  I enjoyed him in Pirates, and the only other movie of his I've seen was as John Barrie. (didn't do much for me.)

One thing that really bugs me about AH - the way she stares at people while describing "abuse".   I belong to a forum for narcissistic (and some werer physical) abuse victims where this has come up. Abuse victims can't look at *anyone* while describing details of their abuse.  ESPECIALLY not the person they claim abused them.  (She'd stare at JD - JD wouldn't look at her.)  My grandmother has been dead for 30 years, I've had therapy - but just a photograph of her smiling fills me with revulsion,  to the point of nausea if I'm feeling vulnerable.  It's visceral.

she focused her "testimony" upon feelings and thoughts. actually, pretty vague.  No - abuse victims are remembering details like location (and a good description of the location), what was there, who was there, what options there were for defense or escape, 

How much of JD is because he's an addict, and how much because he's reacting as a victim of abuse is unknown.  Abuse victims do react to their abuser - I recall when I would do to my grandmother what she did to me.  It wasn't because I was abusive, it's because it was a reaction to humiliating her the way she would humiliate me.  When I realized what I was doing - I stopped.  I didn't want to be like her.   

as a narcissistic abuse survivor - I consider her full of it.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

Well, the whole issue in this specific case IS defamation. Whatever the outcome/truth/reality/etc., his reputation was impacted, and anyone’s going to try to repair their reputation. He’s just got people who are super talented at that.

I’m certainly never going to think of him as a “good guy” again, even while believing she’s a real liar, and that much of the UK case was handled badly. He very clearly, and admittedly, was not a good person to share a life with.

People knew, or thought they knew, who they were working with, and chose to take on known problems to create films. If they stopped because they felt her claims were so much worse than what they already overlooked, it IS important to know whether or not she should be believed.

I know that I have been driven to say completely shocking things when being tortured by a narcissist. I’m glad I wasn’t under any chemical influences that could have reduced my inhibitions further, and that none of it was put on paper or caught on video. I believe my biggest outburst was throwing a laundry basket across my bedroom and screaming after a phone call. Then shaking uncontrollably for an hour. I’m not rich enough to throw bottles and waste booze. They purposely provoke rage so YOU look wrong.

I would not be qualified for this jury.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Catwoman said:

There is a video circulating where it looks like she's snorting something on the stand.  A lot of people seem to think she's snorting cocaine, but I've also seen some speculate that she's sniffing menthol to help her look like she's crying.  It's evidently a common acting trick. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

Well, the whole issue in this specific case IS defamation. Whatever the outcome/truth/reality/etc., his reputation was impacted, and anyone’s going to try to repair their reputation. He’s just got people who are super talented at that.

I’m certainly never going to think of him as a “good guy” again, even while believing she’s a real liar, and that much of the UK case was handled badly. He very clearly, and admittedly, was not a good person to share a life with.

People knew, or thought they knew, who they were working with, and chose to take on known problems to create films. If they stopped because they felt her claims were so much worse than what they already overlooked, it IS important to know whether or not she should be believed.

I know that I have been driven to say completely shocking things when being tortured by a narcissist. I’m glad I wasn’t under any chemical influences that could have reduced my inhibitions further, and that none of it was put on paper or caught on video. I believe my biggest outburst was throwing a laundry basket across my bedroom and screaming after a phone call. Then shaking uncontrollably for an hour. I’m not rich enough to throw bottles and waste booze. They purposely provoke rage so YOU look wrong.

I would not be qualified for this jury.

Me either.  

I have been shocked by some of the things he has said…..not that I ever knew much about him.  But I don’t believe a word out of her mouth.  Something about her just screams personality disorder or worse.  

• Like 5

JD’s team had a doctor testify…Dr. Curry. She met with AH and did a bunch of tests and diagnosed her with two different personality disorders. If you have time, y’all should watch Dr. Curry’s testimony. It was very interesting. She explained both disorders with a lot of detail. Now watching AH testimony, I keep thinking back on what the doctor described, and I’m wondering if the jury is doing the same. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Joker2 said:

I think they’re both attention-seeking awful people and that they abused each other. I don’t actually think one was worse than the other and I don’t feel either deserve any sympathy. 

Yeah. I’m coming to the conclusion they might have deserved each other and no one deserves Amber’s lawyers.

I do t know that his career should have been ruined when he didn’t even go to jail.  If employers start applying similar attitudes to sports players - it might mean the end of male sports.  And make corporate CEOs and…

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vintage81 said:

JD’s team had a doctor testify…Dr. Curry. She met with AH and did a bunch of tests and diagnosed her with two different personality disorders. If you have time, y’all should watch Dr. Curry’s testimony. It was very interesting. She explained both disorders with a lot of detail. Now watching AH testimony, I keep thinking back on what the doctor described, and I’m wondering if the jury is doing the same. 

Borderline Personality Disorder and Histrionic Personality Disorder.  

People claim she never met with AH - yes she did, for hours.  She also had access to AH's medical - and counseling - files and was able to review all of them.   If she'd "just" been hired by JD - she wouldn't have had access to AH's files, or to AH herself.  This was an evaluation originally ordered by the court.
I hope the jury is doing the same.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Me too.  Honestly I hadn't followed anything before this, so I didn't know anything about the other court rulings or things that went on back in the marriage.   I mean I probably saw a cover a magazine in the day about their marriage.  And I also don't like Johhny as an actor.  I don't hate him, but I don't watch his films.     But I don't believe her at all.   I got sucked in and watched a lot of the recordings of Jerry Judge after the finger got cut off.  Of her deposition.  Of all her recordings.

New Unheard Audio Recording Proves Amber Heard Lied In Court - YouTube

I think that she planned to do this to him.  Get with this way bigger star and make yourself rich and famous.  He was an easy target, with his past abuse from his mom, drug issues, and drinking issues.   I don't think he is a model citizen, but I think she orchestrated this and is lying about pretty much everything.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I think she sort of nails it here 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cc3H_Hrg0hc/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Bottom line, she’s an attorney and she says their goal isn’t to win the defamation trial but to just it get it all out on the table - the good and the bad - in order to fix his reputation. If this is their goal, they’re winning. 

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Me too.  Honestly I hadn't followed anything before this, so I didn't know anything about the other court rulings or things that went on back in the marriage.   I mean I probably saw a cover a magazine in the day about their marriage.  And I also don't like Johhny as an actor.  I don't hate him, but I don't watch his films.     But I don't believe her at all.   I got sucked in and watched a lot of the recordings of Jerry Judge after the finger got cut off.  Of her deposition.  Of all her recordings.

New Unheard Audio Recording Proves Amber Heard Lied In Court - YouTube

I think that she planned to do this to him.  Get with this way bigger star and make yourself rich and famous.  He was an easy target, with his past abuse from his mom, drug issues, and drinking issues.   I don't think he is a model citizen, but I think she orchestrated this and is lying about pretty much everything.  

I agree completely!  I think she played him right from the start. I think the only reason she ever got involved with him was for money and fame, and that she absolutely orchestrated this entire thing. 

I think (and hope!) that her biggest downfall will be that she's not as good an actress as she thinks she is, and the jury will see through her lies. It already appears that the majority of the public is very skeptical of the things she has said.

• Like 4

Imma go a little bit further, beyond "orchestration" to speculate that she broke up her prior relationship, as well as his relationship with the mother of his two children, just as he became addicted to the painkillers he had been prescribed, and contributed to his continued addiction to drugs as he battled for sobriety throughout the duration of their relationship.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

There is a video circulating where it looks like she's snorting something on the stand.  A lot of people seem to think she's snorting cocaine, but I've also seen some speculate that she's sniffing menthol to help her look like she's crying.  It's evidently a common acting trick. 

Saw the video- whatever she did, it wasn’t a good idea. She’s either doing drugs or trying to fake emotion. 

I think they both contributed bad behavior to the relationship, but it doesn’t seem fair for her to accuse him of abuse if she was also abusing him.  Maybe what I really mean is it’s wrong for her to portray herself as an innocent victim.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Ceilingfan said:

Jesus, Johnny Depp has a fantastic PR team, clearly. 

Honestly, I don’t think it’s just his PR team that has helped him; I think Amber Heard has done more for his popularity than any PR team could possibly have managed.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Saw the video- whatever she did, it wasn’t a good idea. She’s either doing drugs or trying to fake emotion. 

I think they both contributed bad behavior to the relationship, but it doesn’t seem fair for her to accuse him of abuse if she was also abusing him.  Maybe what I really mean is it’s wrong for her to portray herself as an innocent victim.

Or both.
she was gloating on that tape how she was hitting him - she's not rational.  and she has been diagnosed with two personality disorders.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Honestly, I don’t think it’s just his PR team that has helped him; I think Amber Heard has done more for his popularity than any PR team could possibly have managed.

I went looking for a JD movie to watch this weekend. Lol

• Haha 3

Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but I thought the UK case was Depp suing a newspaper for slandering him. The judge decided the newspaper wasn’t guilty because Heard was convincing enough that they could reasonably believe her. It seemed their only source was her word and that case never saw the parade of evidence or witnesses that the US case is seeing. 

For me it was the fake startle-and-backing-up move she did when Depp walked by her in the courtroom. If she did that in a movie they’d reshoot it until it looked believable. She’s probably one of those people who are better off never taking the stand. Even if you REALLY want to believe her, it’s HARD to do after hearing her talk and seeing the evidence. 

I think these people have both been damaged by childhood trauma and are destructive in different ways. Messed up people often find each other. However, Heard is the one with a history of domestic violence against her ex wife. She just strikes me as willing to absolutely go there and might have a talent for sniffing out a victim. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Annie G said:

I was kind of shocked that so many people (everywhere, not just here,lol) have been thinking she was snorting drugs in court. I mean, sure, she’s nutty, but really?

I don’t know that I know anyone who has had coke issues, but I’ve seen a million 80s and 90s movies and have been through the DARE hype, so I simply wondered if her nostrils are damaged from use and needed physical support through all that sniffling.

4 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I was kind of shocked that so many people (everywhere, not just here,lol) have been thinking she was snorting drugs in court. I mean, sure, she’s nutty, but really?

I don’t know that I know anyone who has had coke issues, but I’ve seen a million 80s and 90s movies and have been through the DARE hype, so I simply wondered if her nostrils are damaged from use and needed physical support through all that sniffling.

It’s more fun for AH haters to think she’s snorting coke in court than to think she’s just nursing damaged nostrils. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I too would be shocked if she actually had drugs in the courtroom.  But she did do something weird with the tissue and prior to that had not been sniffling or even fake crying.  

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I too would be shocked if she actually had drugs in the courtroom.  But she did do something weird with the tissue and prior to that had not been sniffling or even fake crying.  

I would be shocked too, but then again, every report of the trial shocks me because their behavior is so far beyond what I’ve ever experienced. My FOO has plenty of dysfunction but not JD/AH level of bizarre. 

• Like 3

This case bothers me a little. On one hand she is proving to be pretty awful, yes. She is not helping her case at all and her team is pretty terrible or they have nothing good to work with. I love Johnny Depp as an actor, but the height of the pedestal people are putting him on right now is also concerning. I don't think he is guilty of all that he was accused of by any means, I do think it is good to get the truth out there, but he has been a far cry from the perfect man I'm seeing him portrayed as on social media. I think the issues were a mutually awful relationship that should have ended a long time ago.

I rarely go on insta but I was on there this AM just scrolling reels and it was a lot of content about how amazing he is, how abused he's been, how bad we should all feel for him, how the whole world should support him, how he's the perfect gentleman, etc. The pedestal feels a little much. 

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

This case bothers me a little. On one hand she is proving to be pretty awful, yes. She is not helping her case at all and her team is pretty terrible or they have nothing good to work with. I love Johnny Depp as an actor, but the height of the pedestal people are putting him on right now is also concerning. I don't think he is guilty of all that he was accused of by any means, I do think it is good to get the truth out there, but he has been a far cry from the perfect man I'm seeing him portrayed as on social media. I think the issues were a mutually awful relationship that should have ended a long time ago.

I rarely go on insta but I was on there this AM just scrolling reels and it was a lot of content about how amazing he is, how abused he's been, how bad we should all feel for him, how the whole world should support him, how he's the perfect gentleman, etc. The pedestal feels a little much. 

Yes, the pendulum is swinging pretty far. I think it’s that we (the public) already know about his drug and alcohol problems, and that gives us the illusion that he has been open with us. And that illusion makes us feel like everything Heard’s side brings up is not a revelation, but an exaggeration. I think we’re all pretty comfortable with Depp’s issues, and we have relegated them to quirks, and really how could his problems have been a surprise to her, sort of situation.

As I watched her on the stand, all I can think is how much I hope she is lying, because if she is telling the truth, it is very unfortunate she is not very good at it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Arctic Bunny said:

As I watched her on the stand, all I can think is how much I hope she is lying, because if she is telling the truth, it is very unfortunate she is not very good at it.

This is what I keep thinking too. I don’t think she’s a great person and I lean toward thinking she’s just a mess and a liar. But if she is telling the truth then man, what an awful situation for her. 

I think they are both terrible and the whole thing is a mess. But I am not 100% sure she's lying.  Many did not believe my mom about my dad's issues.  When I told a friend about his double life, the response was, "That's not the guy I know."  I can't even imagine if my dad had professional acting skills. 

I know I am biased. I'm just not convinced. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KeriJ said:

I think they are both terrible and the whole thing is a mess. But I am not 100% sure she's lying.  Many did not believe my mom about my dad's issues.  When I told a friend about his double life, the response was, "That's not the guy I know."  I can't even imagine if my dad had professional acting skills. 

I know I am biased. I'm just not convinced. 

That happened to me too in my first marriage.  But being unable to believe your friend could be an abuser is different than believing the victim is flat out lying.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

This is what I keep thinking too. I don’t think she’s a great person and I lean toward thinking she’s just a mess and a liar. But if she is telling the truth then man, what an awful situation for her. 

This case is so difficult for me to keep up with because of this.  They’re both crap, but if she is being honest, my gosh, that’s just heartbreaking, you know?    I’ve come away despising Depp to my core, regardless of how this turns out, I know that much.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

That happened to me too in my first marriage.  But being unable to believe your friend could be an abuser is different than believing the victim is flat out lying.  

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. 

I'm just saying I am not convinced these things are not true about him.

44 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

This case is so difficult for me to keep up with because of this.  They’re both crap, but if she is being honest, my gosh, that’s just heartbreaking, you know?    I’ve come away despising Depp to my core, regardless of how this turns out, I know that much.  

Interesting. I rarely know enough about actors to form an opinion…but that is how I feel about Angelina Jolie. I watched a movie with her in it the other night….kind of ruined it for me. 

• Like 2