Menu

Who here has a ballroom gown ready to go?

itsheresomewhere

1 hour ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Been doing that. Honestly besides the requirements, the other issue is the short time frame to find this dress.  I wish they would have decided more than 3-4 weeks before the performance. 

Do a search for prom and your county or city and your county.  On Marketplace, circle closer within 70 miles, click pickup and then do various searches like junior dress, formal, prom, homecoming, satin, gown, and see what hits.  Some may be pretty old listings like from spring but if they are still up then they are worth messaging.

Not me. I dislike dressing up and would likely skip any function that required a ball gown. Probably the last time I wore anything remotely similar was my senior prom. Now everything seems to be much more low cut in the front and high cut somewhere to expose high up the legs, tighter, and without sleeves, so not like anything I would ever wear.

Try ThreadUp.  My dd needed a formal dress last spring, but she wanted something with sleeves and a not cleavage showing neckline.  We found a really pretty one on ThreadUp for $40, tags still attached.  You can search by size, color, and style, so that makes it easier to find what you want.

• Like 3

And if you're talking floor length, my kids don't have any either.  My smaller kid does have at least one that she wore to homecoming.  And most likely she will want to buy others for other dances, kuz God forbid she wear the same one twice in front of the same people.  😛  But not floor length, because nowadays that isn't the style.

I have never had a ballgown.

Dd19 has several that dd17 (our resident seamstress) has made for her.  This is the dress that was just given to her -- as a surprise! -- for Christmas.  Pardon the boasting on my daughter 😉

Belle gown.jpg

Edited by Junie
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, athena1277 said:

Try ThreadUp.  My dd needed a formal dress last spring, but she wanted something with sleeves and a not cleavage showing neckline.  We found a really pretty one on ThreadUp for $40, tags still attached.  You can search by size, color, and style, so that makes it easier to find what you want.

Nothing so far that would work.  

1 hour ago, Moonhawk said:

Very nice dress but the color is too dark. 

I would think that less people would have gowns in their closet, especially during Covid when there are less big parties.

There is a consignment store (as opposed to thrift store) near me and if I ever needed a gown I would go there.  They have a huge selection of beautiful gowns at good prices in a complete range of sizes.  Maybe you have a similar consignment store near you?  You could call them before going to see if they might have what you are looking for.  
Another idea is to post on your local Reddit page.  You could post size and all the other requirements you need.  A lot of people read it and might want to help if they can.  Someone posted on mine that her turkey went bad on Christmas day and a bunch of people offered to give her a turkey.  I thought that was really nice. 

• Like 1

Postmark,  I have a couple of friends who do all the fancy fundraiser dinners and never wear the same thing twice and that's where they buy and sell.

Something like this is easy to find if you search formal and than filter. https://poshmark.com/listing/Bridesmaid-Dress-EverPretty-5c186f312beb7971656ff51a

Edited by rebcoola
  • Like 1

Hey, have you seen any wedding gowns when out thrifting? There are videos all over social media of people modifying them for prom dresses, including dying them the desired color with rit dye in the bathtub or large bins. Cut off/add sleeves and to raise a neckline with fabric from a train cut off. 

Edited by Grace Hopper

Does eBay have anything? (Given the tight timeframe and the potential to need alterations for comfort or to tailor to requirements, I'd opt for collection if feasible). As well as using the actual sizes, "plus size" is a term that may provide useful results (even though I wouldn't strictly call the size you posted "plus", some "plus size" ranges do go down to Large). The problem with this size is because it's so hard to find good items in the size, people don't tend to let them go once they have them in case they are needed again, so I am sympathetic.

I have never owned or rented a ballroom dress; when I had my proms, I wore a skirt (which was considered unusual but acceptable) because all the dresses in my size that I deemed an acceptable cut and style were too expensive. At this point, I buy all of my clothes from 3 shops - none of which do ballgowns.

Edited by ieta_cassiopeia

The university my dd attends does formal dinner-dance events for the residences and academic societies and she has been invited to a few.  We actually bought two formal dresses on sale in January 2020 that she has not worn yet due to Covid.  One is floor length and the other mid-calf.

And kids grow… so a dress bought for something last year or 2 years ago pre covid isn’t always likely to fit a year or two later.

If a group decides to have kids wear something they already own for a play- they get what they get & imo, don’t get to dictate the specifics… let the kids figure out the costumes the best they can.. this is not professional theater. Throw on something sort of dressy from the closet, wear jewelry and a borrowed shawl and heels. Good enough for children’s community theater.

Tbh, an in person play happening in Jan may wind up cancelled anyways at this point. They’re worried enough to not loan out dresses from the costume closet but still having play practices and a performance seems odd. 

Either way, best of luck.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Could you get a white one, and dye it?

Nothing in her size.  Plus so far, even if it was everything would need massive alterations to meet the requirements.  

If only they had given us these requirements within a reasonable time.  A week before Christmas for a January performance is ridiculous. 

@itsheresomewhere  maybe Poshmark?  I am not familiar with this site but it is kind of like Ebay.

https://poshmark.com/search?query=satin dress&department=Women&category=Dresses&size[]=12

for example:  https://poshmark.com/listing/Rose-Gold-Satin-Evening-Dress-61b0f4d0074d245112889a17  I can't remember if sleeveless was out. It has straps (not spaghetti straps)

Just now, Hilltopmom said:

And kids grow… so a dress bought for something last year or 2 years ago pre covid isn’t always likely to fit a year or two later.

If a group decides to have kids wear something they already own for a play- they get what they get & imo, don’t get to dictate the specifics… let the kids figure out the costumes the best they can.. this is not professional theater. Throw on something sort of dressy from the closet, wear jewelry and a borrowed shawl and heels. Good enough for children’s community theater.

Tbh, an in person play happening in Jan may wind up cancelled anyways at this point. They’re worried enough to not loan out dresses from the costume closet but still having play practices and a performance seems odd. 

Either way, best of luck.

It won’t be canceled unless the governor says too.  That is how they work.  They are loaning out dresses from the dress closet but they only have to size 6.  Nothing if you are over that.  

While I like your idea, she is a teen and it doesn’t fly with her.  It is her first play and she really had to overcome a bit to even try out.  I will find this dang ball gown for her if I have to sew it myself. 

7 minutes ago, cintinative said:

@itsheresomewhere  maybe Poshmark?  I am not familiar with this site but it is kind of like Ebay.

https://poshmark.com/search?query=satin dress&department=Women&category=Dresses&size[]=12

for example:  https://poshmark.com/listing/Rose-Gold-Satin-Evening-Dress-61b0f4d0074d245112889a17  I can't remember if sleeveless was out. It has straps (not spaghetti straps)

Thanks.  I have been looking on there a bit.  So far nothing that meets the ridiculous requirements.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

It won’t be canceled unless the governor says too.  That is how they work.  They are loaning out dresses from the dress closet but they only have to size 6.  Nothing if you are over that.  

While I like your idea, she is a teen and it doesn’t fly with her.  It is her first play and she really had to overcome a bit to even try out.  I will find this dang ball gown for her if I have to sew it myself. 

Aww.. good luck! I like the one made from the sheet 🙂

Probably not the right colors, but start checking for holiday dresses on clearance. In the past years, I had a fancy event in February, and I was able to find ballgowns for around $35 - beautiful ones. Check out VonMauer and Dillards - although Dillards has a terrible return policy. 

3 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I love that one but unfortunately no dark colors.  But the price is fantastic and it is gorgeous.  

Yes, I just scrolled up the thread to find the requirements. Boo.

For everyone else:

"The requirements are- no dark colors, no white/black/gold.  Nothing low cut or backless, no spaghetti straps or strapless, nothing that is too sparkly, must be ankle length or the floor."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lmrich said:

Probably not the right colors, but start checking for holiday dresses on clearance. In the past years, I had a fancy event in February, and I was able to find ballgowns for around $35 - beautiful ones. Check out VonMauer and Dillards - although Dillards has a terrible return policy. 

Thanks. We don’t have those stores here.  So far, in the main ones her nothing. 

1 minute ago, cintinative said:

I like that one too.  I wonder if the gray color might be ok.   I will have to email and see.  Plus check the shipping.  

2 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I don't think the green bean or the grey would be considered dark... I like the dress.

1 minute ago, cintinative said:

That one is pretty in the yellow.  I will have to see if it is with the director.  Any chance you have ordered from them before?

4 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

That one is pretty in the yellow.  I will have to see if it is with the director.  Any chance you have ordered from them before?

No, and AAACK!  I just googled BBB for them and it's not good. BOOOO!  https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/irvine/profile/womens-clothing/ever-pretty-garment-inc-1126-172014726  

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/ever-pretty.com

Edited by cintinative

4 minutes ago, kirstenhill said:

David's bridal has "guaranteed in stock" bridesmaid dresses...this is more expensive than finding something used but there are a lot of pastels.  Here's one that might work: https://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_flutter-sleeve-crisscross-mesh-bridesmaid-dress-f19933_ready-to-ship-bridesmaid-dresses

Thanks. Too low cut for them.  

Easier than making a whole ball down is modifying an existing. A satin tank, a cleavage insert, a panel from thigh to hip in a slit of a contrasting color…. I’ve modified all my girls’ formals relatively quickly and easily. Often a gown the girls loved was perfect except —————- . If you can modify the exception, you’re good to go. 

pictures below - insets at cleavage, slit panel in - add a bolero or a sweater or a wrap for low backs. 

ED5FF3D9-8787-4D77-9B9C-09E25C301278.jpeg

8E191315-191F-45FB-AAA5-4E3D4AD1FF97.jpeg

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 1

Oh and ... I assume those actually pulling a dress out of a closet are being less concerned about the "requirements" than you are  - maybe adding a little sweater for modesty requirements or something but not asking the director about the cleavage and if the skirt is full enough. Cause "this is the dress we have". 

• Like 2