Menu

Is Omicron changing your behavior or plans?

mommyoffive

We are all still in N95s if we go out, but we had started to venture out more with Youngest finally finishing her vax series. We’ve dialed it back in. Dh has once again taken over all errands and I am staying home unless it’s a drive up pickup. We are back to door dashing instead of hanging in restaurants to do order pickup. I am Zooming my friend with a lot of exposure instead of seeing her masked in person. I did my blood work a bit early since I know the lab is going to get slammed in January. I have heavily restocked the pantry. Where I can shift things to not have to go out in Jan-Feb, I have. 

I am nervous as heck about our kids going back to school in January, but we have a stash of Binax tests, and I will continue to test weekly prior to taking my immunosuppressant. 

• Like 1

No changes here. We started tentatively going maskless before Delta but when that hit we went back to masks. We're still wearing them even in places that don't require masks for the vaccinated. We all have our boosters. Our 9 and 7 yo grandsons got their vaccines so that's good. The only ones in our family bubble who aren't vaccinated are our 3yo granddaughter with Down Syndrome and our 4yo grand nephew. 

We have a cruise scheduled for Feb. 27th on Royal Caribbean. Things could change for better or worse by then but we're watching everything closely. They currently require all guests 12 and up to be vaccinated and there are rumors they'll extend that to 5 - 11 year olds as well. If you're cruising with children too young for the vaccine your entire party is considered unvaccinated and your activities are limited. They had removed the indoor mask requirement in vaccinated only areas but just re-instated it. The ships are still cruising at limited capacity. We feel confident we can cruise safely. If you've recently seen a news article about 48 people on Royal Caribbean testing positive for Covid-19, that was less than 1% of the passengers and most were asymptomatic. We feel like cruising is safer than going to the grocery store - at least in this anti-vax, anti-mask, Covid-is-no-big-deal part of the country. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’m sadder.

I’m not as afraid of getting sick, but I am more afraid of spreading it around. Ds (11) is not getting his freedom back the way we told him he would when he got vaccinated, and I wish we hadn’t gotten his hopes up. My 18yo is practically back to being “grounded” other than work. I’m not scheduling a flight for my oldest in January like I had planned.

My current hope is that we will be able to really live it up this summer. I regret not taking more advantage of lower stats this past summer. I mean, I still think we did the “right” thing, but if I had known…  (I did get to see ds, thank goodness!)

I have a fairly outdoorsy family, but I super hate the cold. I’m trying to work up the gumption to plan some outside activities this winter anyway.

This is totally me as well. All of it except the flight.

6 hours ago, TheReader said:

Honestly, Omicron, the way it behaves, feels like the best we're going to get out of Covid -- a super mild illness, that, while highly contagious (like the common cold) isn't very severe at all (like the regular flu).  And shutting in/shutting down life over that feels awful and unnecessary, at least for us. 

I’m adjusting to the idea that we may not be able to avoid getting it at some point, but we’re going to try very hard not to get it in the next month when cases are going to be exploding everywhere and health systems maxed out. I’m worried that the fact that everyone seems to be resigning to getting it in the next few weeks is going to set up an even worse situation than if people were continuing to exercise caution as this huge wave moves through.

3 hours ago, math teacher said:

When school starts back on Jan. 3, I will eat lunch alone in my classroom, and keep my door closed more often. If it's open, coworkers tend to drop by especially because my desk is right inside the door.

Do you have any windows? I keep reading of the transmission risk from removing your mask in a room that has been full of people after they leave. Their aerosols will continue to hang around for awhile, but if you could open windows to air it out for 5 minutes or so before removing your mask, that could help. Or eat in your car?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

Well, our extended family Christmas on Sunday was just cancelled. My dad and brother both have Covid. We saw both last weekend and have a bug, but tested this afternoon and it’s not Covid. I swear we’re immune. We have to break records for most exposure in one family. 

I’m sorry to hear. I hope they are both vaccinated and will have an easy time of it. I would test again in 2-3 days to verify. Hopefully your family stays clear!

• Like 1

We are not changing anything.

We mask when we’re in public, though we are in a minority. We are all boosted. We will get together with family at Christmas. Everyone at Christmas except for one 26 yo nephew has been vaccinated, though I’m not sure of everyone’s booster status. 

I am trusting in my vaccine for myself. And I will wear my mask for others when in public, even though I’m in the minority. At the end of the day, I will know I tried to do my part. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, KSera said:

I’m sorry to hear. I hope they are both vaccinated and will have an easy time of it. I would test again in 2-3 days to verify. Hopefully your family stays clear!

Dad ids and he quit smoking years ago. He feels pretty good and was out doing chores that when amok called. My brother is active but a smoker, not vaxed. But it’s his second go around with Covid so I expect this is Omnicron and should go smoothly. Thank you for the well wishes!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, KSera said:

I’m adjusting to the idea that we may not be able to avoid getting it at some point, but we’re going to try very hard not to get it in the next month when cases are going to be exploding everywhere and health systems maxed out. I’m worried that the fact that everyone seems to be resigning to getting it in the next few weeks is going to set up an even worse situation than if people were continuing to exercise caution as this huge wave moves through.

I should clarify -- we're certainly still trying to avoid the virus, we're just doing so by: 
...masking up in public, especially in crowded places
...seeking out booster shots for those in the family who want them 
....absolutely staying home if anyone shows any kind of symptoms of any kind of thing, at all (&/or has any kind of potential exposure)
...keeping social outings to our same small group of people we're comfortable being around "up close"
....distancing in crowded settings (so, ex: we went to a movie in a theater for the first time last night, BUT we masked, sat on the very back row, and had empty spaces on each side of our seats, and distanced while indoors at concession lines, etc.)

We're just NOT: 
....skipping getting together with the (also all fully vaxed, also not at risk) extended family this year
....skipping indoor church for Christmas Eve this year (where we'll likely also all mask, and where they still have seating set up in a distanced manner)
....(hopefully/maybe not) skipping our postponed already 3 times Disney trip next month, because the low low low crowds, still in place mask policies, etc. will help balance the risk of the flight, where also we've booked the very back row of seats to minimize people breathing on us and at off times where the flight will be less crowded in the first place

So, still being cautious. Still trying to avoid the virus. Just.....not becoming shut-ins again, b/c *at this point, for our family, and in our area* the risk to us for a mental health crisis is a much more real thing/riskier thing than the risk from this virus. In our area, with the numbers as they are, hospitalizations where they are, vaccination rates in our county as they are, etc., this is the path that makes sense for us. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Garga said:

We are not changing anything.

We mask when we’re in public, though we are in a minority. We are all boosted. We will get together with family at Christmas. Everyone at Christmas except for one 26 yo nephew has been vaccinated, though I’m not sure of everyone’s booster status. 

I am trusting in my vaccine for myself. And I will wear my mask for others when in public, even though I’m in the minority. At the end of the day, I will know I tried to do my part. 

You said it so much more succinctly than I did, but yes, this.  We're seeking out our boosters now, but as soon as I can find them (the 16 yr old just became eligible). 

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

No changes here. We started tentatively going maskless before Delta but when that hit we went back to masks. We're still wearing them even in places that don't require masks for the vaccinated. We all have our boosters. Our 9 and 7 yo grandsons got their vaccines so that's good. The only ones in our family bubble who aren't vaccinated are our 3yo granddaughter with Down Syndrome and our 4yo grand nephew. 

We have a cruise scheduled for Feb. 27th on Royal Caribbean. Things could change for better or worse by then but we're watching everything closely. They currently require all guests 12 and up to be vaccinated and there are rumors they'll extend that to 5 - 11 year olds as well. If you're cruising with children too young for the vaccine your entire party is considered unvaccinated and your activities are limited. They had removed the indoor mask requirement in vaccinated only areas but just re-instated it. The ships are still cruising at limited capacity. We feel confident we can cruise safely. If you've recently seen a news article about 48 people on Royal Caribbean testing positive for Covid-19, that was less than 1% of the passengers and most were asymptomatic. We feel like cruising is safer than going to the grocery store - at least in this anti-vax, anti-mask, Covid-is-no-big-deal part of the country. 

My aunt who cruises often just returned from her first cruise post-Covid-world, and said the same thing -- she felt safer on the ship than in the grocery store. (and she's a retired nurse).  From what she described, I believe it.  I hope y'all have fun! 

• Like 1

Nothing really changing, but we're pretty exposed, but it's mostly all necessary. Family is all vaxxed; DH and I are boosted (19 yo will be getting a booster next week). 

I am working in person 22 hours a week; DH is in office around 20 hours per week. Usually 2-5 medical appointments in person a week. All fully masked (although we don't have really good masks due to finances)

The only place I could dial it back is my teens' socializing; it's pretty minimal, but I allow them to hang out with friends unmasked every once in a while. We don't eat out, don't do church anymore, no in-person socializing for the adults.  

We do very, very few errands in person.

Last week, the local hospital went on TV and begged people to not get together for Christmas. Despite that, we will have my MIL and my brother over (both having had boosters). I worry since we do have a lot of exposure of passing something to MIL, but she refuses to not have a family Christmas.

After I posted this morning ds22 texted me that he was getting his booster right then.  His clinic had stock that would expire, so any and all were encouraged to come down and get it done.

Omicron is not mild.  It is "mild".  We just had a family we know think they were in the clear (both adults boostered, both kids had one vaccine already) and they have been down for the last almost two weeks.  It's worse than the flu for them.  Christmas will be without being able to smell or taste anything. They're now testing negative, but the after effects (fatigue, aches, loss of senses), are sticking around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 5

24 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

After I posted this morning ds22 texted me that he was getting his booster right then.  His clinic had stock that would expire, so any and all were encouraged to come down and get it done.

Omicron is not mild.  It is "mild".  We just had a family we know think they were in the clear (both adults boostered, both kids had one vaccine already) and they have been down for the last almost two weeks.  It's worse than the flu for them.  Christmas will be without being able to smell or taste anything. They're now testing negative, but the after effects (fatigue, aches, loss of senses), are sticking around.

Yes.

It's definitely worth reminding ourselves that, with respect to covid, "mild" means not hospitalized.  It does not mean trivial or insignificant. Mild covid can be disabling.   And mild cases can still lead to long covid.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

We have not been wearing a mask since mid-October.  Fully vaxxed DH and one DD had Covid (Delta) in early Oct.  All of use were VERY exposed the entire illness time for them and the rest of us did not get it, so we opted not to wear masks the last 2 months.  3 of us DD 19, DD 17 and myself are boostered.  DD 15 and DS do not yet qualify for boosters and DD 15 had covid recently so I am not concerned.  We *might* go back to wearings masks in January, but we will continue our normal gatherings, homeschool classes, college classes for DD 19 etc.  At this point, to lock back down would absolutely do significant harm to our mental health.  I am assuming at some point we will all get Covid, but we have done everything we can to make sure the case is mild.  We are all healthy with no risk factors.  If we had regular contact with someone that had significant risk factors, then my answer *might* be different, but locking ourselves away is much more like to kill one of us than Covid.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TheReader said:

Honestly, Omicron, the way it behaves, feels like the best we're going to get out of Covid -- a super mild illness, that, while highly contagious (like the common cold) isn't very severe at all (like the regular flu).  And shutting in/shutting down life over that feels awful and unnecessary, at least for us. 

I agree. This particular coronavirus is not going away. The best we can hope for is mild variants and vaccines (and more people vaccinated). If I have to get a booster every year like I get a flu shot every year I'm okay with that. For now I'll continue to be cautiously optimistic, limit my social contact to other vaccinated people, and keep up with the basics such as hand washing and social distancing. We've been eating at outdoor restaurants. Fortunately this is the perfect time of year for outdoor dining in Florida. 

We had Thanksgiving with dss, ddil and the grands, plus ddil's mother, stepfather and sister. Christmas will be the same. Last weekend my niece and her family (husband, 13yo vaccinated twins, 4yo) came for a cookout and Christmas visit. I know a lot of people are having to deal with anti-vax family members so I count us lucky that we're all of the same mindset in both my and dh's family. I'm truly sorry for those who feel they can't visit with family due to their vaccine refusal.

• Like 3

My husband just got Covid after a long run of avoiding it despite working on a very public-interactive job. Vaccines and masks had done their job well but this slipped through as we trusted a careless relative. So far it seems very mild- the worst sickness he's had in years, but no respiratory problems. An elderly relative who caught it from the same source tested positive and is getting treated despite no symptoms yet. We're hoping none of the rest of us get it, but it's certainly changed our Christmas plans!

• Sad 15

4 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Are you sure it was Omicron? I have been reading that loss of smell and taste are Delta symptoms, but they are not usually Omicron symptoms.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Are you sure it was Omicron? I have been reading that loss of smell and taste are Delta symptoms, but they are not usually Omicron symptoms.

Yes.  Both parents work in health care (ICU and management) and the hospital made sure to know.  They're some of the first cases of Omicron recognised here.

• Thanks 1

Yes, Christmas was supposed to be at our house. My parents, adult children and grandchild, and my sister's family were going to spend Christmas day here. I tested positive (immediate and strong positive) for Covid last weekend with a rapid test and dh had a light positive a few days later. It's been like a bad cold for me and dh is just coughing, but we've cancelled all plans and will have another Christmas home alone. I had a really hard time getting excited about Christmas this year. I barely bought any gifts, did minimal decorating, and didn't do any baking at all.  Now I'm glad I didn't get too excited about having a big, normal Christmas.

• Sad 9

6 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Yes.  Both parents work in health care (ICU and management) and the hospital made sure to know.  They're some of the first cases of Omicron recognised here.

Wow -- the reports I'm reading keep saying that the loss of taste and smell weren't Omicron symptoms! Thanks so much for telling us about the family you know!  I hope they are all feeling back to normal very soon.

We have shifted from trying not to get infected to pretty much living with some precautions and focusing on not infecting any vulnerable people.  That is partly due to my last kids being fully vaccinated and the inevitability of omicron infection.  We are using KF94s in non-eating public places but we are also going to restaurants again.  We also went to a Christmas party and a ballet.  The kids are playing indoors with friends again.  Dh was exposed on Tuesday so our Christmas gathering is going to be delayed.  He'll get pcr the day before and then we are using home tests immediately beforehand.

Dh is required to go to work after exposure as long as he is symptom free and hasn't had a positive test.  Same for his coworkers, so we can't escape him being exposed no matter how many fun things we skip.  Therefore, we aren't skipping fun things.

So far everyone we know who is covid positive is unboosted or boosted less than  5 days before infection.  The three people I know who were exposed and recently Moderna-boosted are at 5, 5, and 2 days post exposure with no symptoms or positive RAT.  One of the 5 days just got negative pcr this morning.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

Dh is required to go to work after exposure as long as he is symptom free and hasn't had a positive test.

I wonder if any of the guidelines that were changed for vaccinated people are going to be changed again, since it clearly doesn’t make sense to use the standard for vaccinated people during Delta now that we’re dealing with omicron. I’m not sure things will catch up in time, though. 

1 hour ago, KSera said:

I wonder if any of the guidelines that were changed for vaccinated people are going to be changed again, since it clearly doesn’t make sense to use the standard for vaccinated people during Delta now that we’re dealing with omicron. I’m not sure things will catch up in time, though. 

I hope so.  I don't see how vulnerable people can be kept safe the way it is. They do wear masks, but the circulation is poor and idk how much it really matters with omicron when you are talking about 8 hours.  Everywhere is sold out of rapid tests around here.  Milwaukee had a test line that went all the way onto the interstate yesterday, so lack of a positive test is sort of a given.

Sigh.  I am so tired of beingscared during the holidays.  My MIL just texted me that my daughter got there safely…. and that she and my niece went to the mall.  I exclaimed I was upset to my husband because the rates i. Houston ate 20 x what they are here.  He told me to quit looking and just enjoy myself when we get there.  I don’t know how.  I wont say anything, but My anxiety will be through the roof. We are doomed. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

Unfortunately, yes.  We are driving to Canada at the end of December and have decided to pay for 6 hour PCR tests rather than risk 2 two things... 1) the PCR test offered at our local pharmacy not being delivered within 72 hours and therefore not valid at the border.  I usually get the results within 36 hours, but I expect there to be delays

2) getting a positive result after having driven 12+ hours to the border.  We could still get into Canada, but would have to isolate for 2 weeks, which isn't particularly useful since I'm only going to be there for 2 weeks (and dd and dh for 1 week)

Once in Canada, we will use rapid tests before we see any family members.

I have also decided against playing pick up with my teammates and I will probably won't go back to the gym this weekend or next week 😞 

Also, if my dh or dd test positive while in Canada, they will either have to delay their trip back to the States, or I will have to drive them to the nearest border town so they can rent a car and drive back home.  That would be a hassle, but doable.

Well, one of my son's roommates just tested positive, so we may not see him and his girlfriend for Christmas.

My daughter already postponed the visit she and her girlfriend were planning in early January.

I was just thinking that, between the good news at work and the way the holidays were coming together, I could feel my mood starting to lift.

Safe to say, that's over now.

• Sad 12

No.  If we get it, we get it.  I was extra careful leading up to my current overseas trip, and we're being careful on the trip out of respect for the people here (and because we don't want any hassles flying back).  But once we get home, we're going back to pre-omicron "normal."

I will probably skip or modify our planned meeting with my folks after we get home, to receive my kids' Christmas and birthday gifts.  This is because my mom isn't vaccinated.

Omicron sounds like a cold.  Sorry if that offends anyone.  We are all as vaxed as possible.  My kids need to go to school, and we plan to resume unmasked indoor TKD as long as that activity is available.  (They might make us mask again, and if so, we'll mask.)

Edited by SKL
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Well, one of my son's roommates just tested positive, so we may not see him and his girlfriend for Christmas.

My daughter already postponed the visit she and her girlfriend were planning in early January.

I was just thinking that, between the good news at work and the way the holidays were coming together, I could feel my mood starting to lift.

Safe to say, that's over now.

Hugs and understanding!

Life is currently so off balance.  I had something finally coming together and *bam* a different, unexpected thing fell apart.  This week the most stable thing in my life was walloped.  I feel like I can't catch my breath!

More hugs!

• Like 1

Our plans, such as they were, changed several times. We invited our kids to come for Xmas. One couldn't because he has a daughter and she lives with her mom, and he didn't want to set the precedent of not seeing her on the holiday (although a snow storm prevented that last year). Our other son is here for 3 weeks. Our dd was going to come with her partner, but then Israel closed the borders. We filed for an exception, but Israel declared the US a red country, so even if they got the exception they'd have to quarantine a week. They would miss Bethlehem and more than half their trip time here. 

It never came. Had the exception come, she was this close to coming, but her plane left half an hour too late to squeak under the wire before the "red" took effect. 

Edited by Chris in VA
  • Sad 4

No changes. There is nothing to change. We'll hang out with the grandparents on Christmas because they are part of the 12 people we made a pod with since 2020. Well, we've been unable to visit my mom since 2019 and that status hasn't changed any for the past few years; the reasons have changed, but it's never been fully opened. 

I’m struggling a bit. Our plans changed suddenly this afternoon.

Younger daughter was supposed to be going to Girl Scout winter camp, where the other twenty-five girls were all required to be vaccinated. We’d registered back in October when I thought it was ok. They emailed us yesterday evening that they’ve *just* decided, due to uptick in cases, that all the girls need to show negative test results when they get there. So I’d spent all last night and most of today calling around, no tests to be had anywhere, no appointments either, except urgent care … for $220! Camp only cost $140.

Now, I’m not sure she can go at all. My husband had a day off work today but got a call at 2. He had a significant exposure at work this week from a careless coworker who has tested positive. They will test him Sunday unless he develops symptoms. He already has a cold so I don’t really know how we’ll tell the difference (besides an increase in the severity of symptoms or he gets a fever). My kids are gutted. We’ve canceled all plans tomorrow and Saturday.

I was already mentally struggling. I’ve had some COVID related fear. I talked to my therapist who said we all struggle with “invisible threats” and the only way forward is compassion towards ourselves and others. I’m going to try that. I’m sad though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 10

4 hours ago, SKL said:

Omicron sounds like a cold.  Sorry if that offends anyone.  We are all as vaxed as possible.  My kids need to go to school, and we plan to resume unmasked indoor TKD as long as that activity is available.  (They might make us mask again, and if so, we'll mask.)

Vaccinated people returning to activities doesn't offend me at all, but people saying it sounds like a cold at this point is frustrating, because a cold doesn't hospitalize and kill people at the rate this is, and colds don't swamp hospitals such that they have to cancel procedures and ration care. The first omicron death in the US was a man in his fifties. It would be highly unusual for a cold to kill someone in their fifties. All this talk of omicron being "a cold" is going to hospitalize and kill more people, because especially unvaccinated people are likely to not realize it's not necessarily going to be mild for them, nor will it necessarily be mild for elderly people, even if vaccinated.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

No change for us. My parents visited last weekend and we have no family within 1,000 miles, so no more plans. We just finished our last public commitment for the next couple of weeks. This is actually, by my estimation, the best weekend for us to get as mild a case as possible, so while I'm not doing anything crazy like grocery shopping mid-day, I am allowing my dc to get together with small groups of friends. It is easy to say "no change" when your normal is fairly isolated, no family, masks in the car with friends, no interest in restaurants, anyway.

We might have to go back early as some of our employees currently have "it."

Actually I hadn't focused on this aspect before, but yeah, that side of it changes our plans often.  It doesn't usually happen to me (mainly it's the boss-partner who has to go live there and cover various shifts), but sometimes I get pulled in.  Since I haven't been trained in the paperwork/people side of things, I tend to get the heavy cleaning jobs (at the last minute).  With cases rising rapidly, this might happen more often ... although it is also possible that enough of our employees have already had "it" by now.  And the other possibility is that we will lose business as people decide to stay home and cancel events.  Most likely both will happen.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, TCB said:

@TheReader can you tell me more about being less likely to pass on Omicron if vaccinated? I haven’t seen that mentioned yet, but it is great if that’s so.

I just now saw this, and am running around like crazy, but I'll try and find the article where I saw that mentioned. I will come back with it later tonight, or sometime tomorrow afternoon.....not sure when I'll be back on the computer. Just wanted you to know I'm not ignoring you 🙂

• Like 4

16 hours ago, TCB said:

@TheReader can you tell me more about being less likely to pass on Omicron if vaccinated? I haven’t seen that mentioned yet, but it is great if that’s so.

I'm having trouble finding where I specifically read it - it was sometime earlier this week, but as I read most everything that pops up in my news sites related to it, I'm having trouble tracking it down. 

I did find this study/article about a study done during Delta that breaks down why the vaccine helps slow the spread, but it's mainly math about the fact that the peak viral load is the same, but the time with it is lower, which translates to lower spread. I will link it, and keep looking for the other one....I know it was mentioned.  I certainly don't mean to spread misinformation/things I can't back up, just still trying to track it down. 

https://theconversation.com/no-vaccinated-people-are-not-just-as-infectious-as-unvaccinated-people-if-they-get-covid-171302

• Thanks 2

Okay, Here is where I originally read it, and I see now that it says "probably less likely" not definitely. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/12/21/covid-omicron-not-march-2020/8967351002/

Here is a further video saying similar, based more or less on the same info as the article upthread about the shorter *time* of shedding the virus.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yXZMcKF_Mw

Hopefully that clarifies; I did not mean to spread misinformation at all or misstate/overstate what I'd read. 

• Thanks 2