Menu

Area rugs with hardwood floors?

teachermom2834

Thoughts? If you have hardwood floors in your main living area do you use area rugs? Why or why not? Decor, comfort, etc?

We had hardwood floors in an old house. The floors were old and we were young…lol. When we moved out there were discolorations on the floor where we had the rugs. I’m assuming it was user error on our part. We were young and our parents were all awful with home maintenance and housekeeping and we had a bunch of babies. So I’m positive we didn’t do everything right 😉

But after the holidays we are having our floors in the main living area replaced (living room, dining room, foyer). Right now that is a combo of worn carpet and 1970s parquet. It will be replaced with all hardwood. 

Do I want to use area rugs? Why or why have you chosen not to use them? Is there something special I should use to protect my floors if I do?

We have plentiful area rugs. As big as we can fit into each space. I think they look nicer and I like having the padding and warmth. My guess is the discoloration was from low quality pads? IDK, I can't say that we pay a ton for our pads and I've never had a problem. I would suggest asking the floorers for recommendations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are slowly working to acquire area rugs after having all of our wood floors refinished in September. Unfortunately, we’ve discovered we dislike the look of most area rugs, so it has been a very slow process. Did you use high quality rug pads previously? Rotate the rugs regularly? Immediately clean up any liquid on the rugs?

Our primary motivation is appearance. We are minimalist, but I do think they complete the look of a room and add a level of coziness. I also enjoy the fun pop of color they can add in places like our kitchen. We did find a local rug artist whose work we love and seeing the transformation even small rugs (it’s all he produces) can make, has encouraged us to continue on the quest for the remaining large ones we need. Another big reason is that our dog finds the newly refinished floors very slick. She immediately gravitated towards the rugs we have acquired.

Another fun option we used in one place in our kitchen where there was no clearance for a rug is a floor cloth. It’s bright and whimsical and and extremely easy to clean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have hardwood floors and kids with asthma and dust mite allergies, so no rugs at all. Before having kids we did use area rugs. It’s much easier to keep floors clean with hardwood and wash carpets outside so nothing ever becomes filthy. I have lived with carpeted floors in rentals before and never again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Discoloration might be because of sunlight... Many wood species darken with UV light.  So much so that for woods like cherry, hobby woodworkers frequently put boards out in the sun for a few days so they will darken naturally instead of it taking 100 years.

I've been in newer houses that had huge spots on the floors from area rugs... usually darker woods like walnut & cherry show it the most, but I think almost all woods change color a bit.

I love area rugs.  I like to buy vintage & antique persian rugs at estate sales.  Which rooms they go in changes in each house, but I love them all.  Even the threadbare ones.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The heart pine in our house definitely shows the old rugs. AFAIK, it's sunlight, so unless you plan to literally move your rugs like on a yearly crop rotation basis to every corner, it's just a natural effect. It takes decades. At that point, it's usually time to refinish anyway.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

Thoughts? If you have hardwood floors in your main living area do you use area rugs? Why or why not? Decor, comfort, etc?

Do I want to use area rugs? Why or why have you chosen not to use them? Is there something special I should use to protect my floors if I do?

We replaced the carpet that was in the house with hardwood floors on the main level. I do not use area rugs.
We chose hardwood because we like the clean look of it and because it is low maintenance and easy to clean. Covering it with rugs would defeat both purposes.

Rugs are also a tripping hazard. And collect dust and dander. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a machine washable cotton rug at each entryway, small rugs in front of each recliner, and a runner in front of the sofa. The rugs at the furniture are soley for the dogs--they need a textured/nonslip surface for jumping on/off the furniture. Otherwise we'd only have rugs at the doors. IMO adding rugs pretty much defeats the main benefit of hard flooring (easier cleaning, fewer allergy issues).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

We have hardwood floors and kids with asthma and dust mite allergies, so no rugs at all. Before having kids we did use area rugs. It’s much easier to keep floors clean with hardwood and wash carpets outside so nothing ever becomes filthy. I have lived with carpeted floors in rentals before and never again. 

This.

Plus, we splurged for Lauzon flooring that filters VOCs. But it can’t be covered for that feature to work. 

And I just love the look of beautiful wood floors. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have read that rugs with PVC or latex backing can permanently damage / discolor wood floors. Natural rubber or felt pads are supposed to be best. 

I use machine washable rugs, some with no pad and some with non-slip rubber pads from (I think) RugPadUSA

I love Hook and Loom rugs. I have no natural talent for decorating, but they look great and the ones I bought are washable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, MercyA said:

I have read that rugs with PVC or latex backing can permanently damage / discolor wood floors. Natural rubber or felt pads are supposed to be best. 

I use machine washable rugs, some with no pad and some with non-slip rubber pads from (I think) RugPadUSA

I love Hook and Loom rugs. I have no natural talent for decorating, but they look great and the ones I bought are washable.

I just received a few samples from Hook and Loom. One looks very promising for our study/guest room.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

We have an area rug in the living room for decorative purposes and one in the foyer for practical purposes. I don’t really like the look of a lot of area rugs, it makes rooms look smaller to me. I also find them impractical from a cleaning standpoint. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, TechWife said:

We have an area rug in the living room for decorative purposes and one in the foyer for practical purposes. I don’t really like the look of a lot of area rugs, it makes rooms look smaller to me. I also find them impractical from a cleaning standpoint. 

Interestingly, I’ve read that the larger the rug relative to room size, the larger the room looks. They still recommend 1’ to 2’ feet of bare floor on all sides, but getting the biggest rug possible after that if you want the room to look larger. I can’t say I’ve tested it in practice, as so far we’ve only found small area rugs/runners that we like.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

We had hardwood floors in an old house. The floors were old and we were young…lol. When we moved out there were discolorations on the floor where we had the rugs. I’m assuming it was user error on our part. We were young and our parents were all awful with home maintenance and housekeeping and we had a bunch of babies. So I’m positive we didn’t do everything right 😉

But after the holidays we are having our floors in the main living area replaced (living room, dining room, foyer). Right now that is a combo of worn carpet and 1970s parquet. It will be replaced with all hardwood. 

It is common for wood to darken/change as it ages, because of exposure to sunlight. Area rugs protect the wood from the light, so yes, there will be discoloration where there are rugs. No fault on your part. 🙂

We made the same "mistake:" we had new wood flooring installed three years ago, and a few months afterwards put in a large area rug. It stayed there for about seven or eight months, when we had to pick it up [insert long story]. Where the rug had been, the floor was lighter. Then I went back and read the information from the manufacturer (which I had done that first!), and it said to wait at least six months before putting down area rugs. So we left the rug off, and after a year (!) that part is almost as dark as the rest of the floor.

So, yes, use area rugs. They add color to a room, and visual interest, and define spaces; but wait at least six months before doing it.

• Thanks 1

Look for 100% felt pads for your area rugs (no rubber, PVC, or latex backing). Supposedly, this will prevent discoloration, but since I've had discoloration on my hardwoods (21 years old) from strong sunlight, I would expect that it might happen anyway.

I recently purchased a large wool braided rug for our bedroom, and it is soooo beautiful that I feel that I've added artwork to the room. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Frances said:

Interestingly, I’ve read that the larger the rug relative to room size, the larger the room looks. They still recommend 1’ to 2’ feet of bare floor on all sides, but getting the biggest rug possible after that if you want the room to look larger. I can’t say I’ve tested it in practice, as so far we’ve only found small area rugs/runners that we like.

I’ve tested it and it’s definitely true IME. 🙂 Likewise for furniture—fewer but larger pieces make a room feel larger.

We have large area rugs in our main room and dining room downstairs. The rooms are adjacent and the rugs are the same. I love how they look and how they cozy up our living spaces.

The wood on our floors is an interesting design. In the interior of the rooms the wood is wide pine flooring, and the perimeters are hardwood. Our realtor said that it’s common on houses of this era, because it saved money (the pine being less expensive) and the decorating expectation was that floorcloths would cover the pine anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have tile downstairs and hardwood upstairs. 

I like the idea of area rugs more for decor and definition of spaces. But after a few issues, we have none.

We usually wear house shoes or barefoot most of the year. But when it is cold (which is relative here) we wear socks, slipper socks, cozy slippers and all come out. 

I do not like rugs or carpet whatsoever. I could never keep it clean.

• Thanks 1

When I've had hardwood floors, I use area rugs under living room furniture, dining table (to help avoid chairs marking up floor), and smaller rugs on the bedside. Right now I have a big faux wooly rug beside the bed. 

I adore hardwood floors, but like some rugs to give some anchoring to the furniture. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have hardwood floors through the house. We have large  woollen Turkish rugs. It protects the floor.

because my dh has multiple chemical allergies we had to use a natural varnish. One based on orange oil. It scratches. 
the sun does slowly discolour the floor. If you don’t want that you can draw the curtains every day. I prefer as much natural light as possible. Though we do have a roofed verandah on the the 3 sides of the house that get direct sunlight.

• Thanks 1

No area rugs here. Except one under the kids "arts and crafts" table. For me it boils down to laziness. I don't need yet another thing to maintain. Plus we got Hickory as our flooring and it's quite striking. Of course I do cover it up with laundry and toys. 

Ditto on the wait 6 months thing. I got that instruction for both the hardwood floors and some hardwood furniture that I got. With the furniture the makerr said if we accidentally left something there and had discoloration it can be fixed by just leaving that spot bare for a while.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Clarita said:

No area rugs here. Except one under the kids "arts and crafts" table. For me it boils down to laziness. I don't need yet another thing to maintain. Plus we got Hickory as our flooring and it's quite striking. Of course I do cover it up with laundry and toys. 

Ditto on the wait 6 months thing. I got that instruction for both the hardwood floors and some hardwood furniture that I got. With the furniture the makerr said if we accidentally left something there and had discoloration it can be fixed by just leaving that spot bare for a while.

We have hickory, too, and I agree that it is too beautiful to cover up.🙂

I haven't read all the replies, so apologies if this has already been said.

Regarding wood floors fading from UV light. My decorator told me to have someone install a UV coating on my windows. Especially in my kitchen/dining area where I have 3 large floor to ceiling windows (with a southern exposure). I haven't done it yet, but I bet this would prevent this issue with the area rugs. 

Edited by popmom
  • Thanks 1

Was just thinking about this thread.

Why would someone put down an area rug that only leaves 1-2 feet around the edge? If that’s the look someone wants, why not just carpet the room?

Also, for those of you who put carpets down to “protect” the floors - what are you protecting them from? Floors are supposed to be walked on. They get dirty, scratched, otherwise show wear. So what? Isn’t that supposed to happen? Nothing looks new forever, KWIM?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TechWife said:

Why would someone put down an area rug that only leaves 1-2 feet around the edge? If that’s the look someone wants, why not just carpet the room?

I've wondered about that, too. The only answer I can come up with is that even a very large rug can be rolled up and taken out of the room for cleaning (outside or to a professional rug cleaner). And you can clean any dust and dirt that's filtered through the rug and settled on the floor.

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I've wondered about that, too. The only answer I can come up with is that even a very large rug can be rolled up and taken out of the room for cleaning (outside or to a professional rug cleaner). And you can clean any dust and dirt that's filtered through the rug and settled on the floor.

This is true, it is portable. But, thinking out loud here,  if cleaning were the issue, then the most effective way to have a clean floor is not to have a rug. I mean, you have to clean the rug and then also clean the floor under it? Why not ditch the rug and just keep the floor clean? Now I am gazing at the area rug in my living room with suspicion. It's days may be numbered. Or, I might get another one that I like better (I am notoriously bad a selecting rugs and couches, both). Although not intended to be funny, this thread is making me laugh at myself a bit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TechWife said:

Also, for those of you who put carpets down to “protect” the floors - what are you protecting them from? Floors are supposed to be walked on. They get dirty, scratched, otherwise show wear. So what? Isn’t that supposed to happen? Nothing looks new forever, KWIM?

Because I can get a cheap 8x10 area rug for $100 and when it’s ruined (dog pukes, etc), throw it out- or easily clean it outside without needing to replace wall to wall carpeting for $$$.

we have hardwood with area rugs- like to sit on floor with kids to play games but want some padding 

1 minute ago, Hilltopmom said:

Because I can get a cheap 8x10 area rug for $100 and when it’s ruined (dog pukes, etc), throw it out- or easily clean it outside without needing to replace wall to wall carpeting for $$$.

we have hardwood with area rugs- like to sit on floor with kids to play games but want some padding 

We just wipe the cat puke off of our hard floors and be done with it. The one area rug we have in the living room is an indoor/outdoor rug and it would be convenient to haul it outside to hose it off if needed, but it's still a lot of work to me to move a rug around. This is such an interesting thread. Which may just mean I have a boring life 😀.

• Haha 1

I don’t like sitting on a hardwood floor 🙂 I still have little kids and sit on the floor with them.

Oh also my furniture is in the middle of a big open room, not against any walls, and without an area rug, it slides all over the place.

No way I would put in wall to wall carpeting over my existing nice hardwood floors, but I like an area rug in the area we sit on

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We have hardwood all downstairs (except bathroom/ laundry room) I have three matching rugs in one big area, two rugs that don't match in another living area, and runners by the doors and three 4 doormats by the doors. I'd like the rugs to match in the other area, but I'm too cheap to buy another rug when it's not needed.

4 hours ago, TechWife said:

Just because the floors are beautiful hardwood does not mean that every inch of it must be visible. And what is wrong with protecting the floor?

I have a small area rug under the trash can in the kitchen; it keeps the trashcan from sliding all over and protects the floor. I also have small rugs in front of the sink and the cooktop. The reasons should be obvious.

I have area rugs in front of each exterior door. People wipe their feet on them when they come in. I don't know why we should just track dirt and whatnot through the house for the sake of having our hardwood floors completely bare because they're beautiful. o_0

I have an area rug at the foot of the stairs. The stairs are carpeted, except for the last one (or the first one, depending on which direction you're going, lol), which is also hardwood. It is sometimes difficult to see the difference between the last step and the floor, and the rug makes that happen. When we first moved here, each of us tripped a couple of times because we thought we were all the way down but we weren't.

I'll be putting large area rugs in the family room and in the living room. The rugs add color and softness to those areas, not to mention keeping the furniture from sliding all over.

5 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Just because the floors are beautiful hardwood does not mean that every inch of it must be visible. And what is wrong with protecting the floor?

I have a small area rug under the trash can in the kitchen; it keeps the trashcan from sliding all over and protects the floor. I also have small rugs in front of the sink and the cooktop. The reasons should be obvious.

I have area rugs in front of each exterior door. People wipe their feet on them when they come in. I don't know why we should just track dirt and whatnot through the house for the sake of having our hardwood floors completely bare because they're beautiful. o_0

I have an area rug at the foot of the stairs. The stairs are carpeted, except for the last one (or the first one, depending on which direction you're going, lol), which is also hardwood. It is sometimes difficult to see the difference between the last step and the floor, and the rug makes that happen. When we first moved here, each of us tripped a couple of times because we thought we were all the way down but we weren't.

I'll be putting large area rugs in the family room and in the living room. The rugs add color and softness to those areas, not to mention keeping the furniture from sliding all over.

Of course not every inch needs to be visible. No one has said it does. Obviously, rugs are a choice. But no, it is not obvious to me why someone would want rugs to protect their floors from getting dirty when the result is simply a dirty rug that's harder to clean than a floor is, IME. I have a rug by my front door that helps prevent tracking large clumps of dirt around, but it is not protecting the floor from anything, it's just making it a little easier to clean the hardwood while at the same time adding a harder to clean rug. The cleanliness is an illusion because the rugs are just trapping the dirt, not getting rid of it. I have gel mats in front of our stove and sink to decrease back aches. I clean them regularly, but they don't prevent anything else from getting dirty and often dirt gets trapped between the edge of the mat and the wall. As for furniture, I put mine on soft felt slider pads so that I can move it around easily. It's something that is a personal preference. I also have a decorative rug in my living room, which this thread now has me scratching my head about as I question my choices.

4 hours ago, TechWife said:

Well, as I said our hardwood floors were actually designed to be mostly covered. The interior pine, as expected, gauges easily and yeah, I don’t want that to happen. I also love how rugs can anchor a space, and hardwood is cold (literally and visually) in certain climates. Much cozier with something soft underfoot; the kitties love it too. A rug in the dining room is a must for me so we don’t scratch up the floors. When we eventually sell, I'm not going to want to spend thousands of dollars to refinish the floors for the buyers, thanks. 

As for leaving just a couple feet of hardwood showing, some of us have small rooms so that’s just how it works out. 🙂 

Photo shows the pine vs the hardwood— I actually think the contrast is neat, but the pine is too fragile to not be covered.

24EE368F-60E4-426C-8556-014123982ACC.jpeg

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Well, as I said our hardwood floors were actually designed to be mostly covered. The interior pine, as expected, gauges easily and yeah, I don’t want that to happen. I also love how rugs can anchor a space, and hardwood is cold (literally and visually) in certain climates. Much cozier with something soft underfoot; the kitties love it too. A rug in the dining room is a must for me so we don’t scratch up the floors. When we eventually sell, I'm not going to want to spend thousands of dollars to refinish the floors for the buyers, thanks. 

As for leaving just a couple feet of hardwood showing, some of us have small rooms so that’s just how it works out. 🙂 

Photo shows the pine vs the hardwood— I actually think the contrast is neat, but the pine is too fragile to not be covered.

24EE368F-60E4-426C-8556-014123982ACC.jpeg

Your floors are gorgeous! Also, soft pine is a different animal altogether than hardwood. It isn’t just a matter of scratching, but gouging as you mentioned. 

Edited by TechWife
  • Thanks 1

We have hardwood and started with an area rug or two but I found it too big of a pain to clean the rug and the wood, so we eventually got rid of them.  Plus we live in a 130+ yo house and the floors have a lot of birdseye maple that is too pretty to cover up.  Oddly, it was considered a "flaw" back then so is mostly on the edges but still cool to look at.  We do not wear shoes in the house and we do keep small rag rugs in front of doors....which the cats enjoy rearranging. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

I don’t like sitting on a hardwood floor 🙂 I still have little kids and sit on the floor with them.

Oh also my furniture is in the middle of a big open room, not against any walls, and without an area rug, it slides all over the place.

I ended up getting a large blanket and large cushions for us to sit on the hardwood floor. Way easier to clean than any rug.

Yes, our furniture slides all over the place we just adjust them when they are too misaligned. The rug under the kids art and crafts table keeps the table from moving around. That rug is there to protect the floors, how? It's a < $50 rug, I will toss when it's too gross. It keeps the playdoh and crayon bits from gettting smooshed into my hardwood floor. The crayon bits and playdoh bits do get smooshed on it which will destroy it, but I don't care in this case. I put a tarp down before but the tarp doesn't stay put well enough to be a long term solution.

I can see wanting a rug to break up the barren hardwood. I'm just too lazy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We put off taking out our very stained and dirty wall to wall carpeting because our disabled dog (now deceased) could not navigate the slippery wood floors.  But now we're putting down engineered vinyl plank flooring.  (So not hardwood floors but it looks like it!)  I'm nervous that the bunnies might not be able to navigate them.  If they do, I will probably put down some area rugs just for them.  We decorate with our pets in mind.  🙂

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

18 minutes ago, Clarita said:

Yes, our furniture slides all over the place we just adjust them when they are too misaligned.

Just putting this here for anyone who needs a reasonably good solution for sliding furniture. I've only used the Gorilla Pads brand. I can't say our furniture doesn't slide at all, but it doesn't slide much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Our wood is original straight grain Douglas Fir, so not a hardwood. It does ding and scratch fairly easily. I think it’s gorgeous, but I don’t think adding area rugs detracts from it, but rather enhances it. Each time we’ve added a rug, I’ve really liked the result. We are very minimalistic, so I think our house might look too sterile without them, rather than warm and cozy.

At this point, we don’t really have a choice anyway due to our old dog. The floors are just too slick for her.  I realize cleaning will be more of a pain, but at least for now, I can live with it. 

If anyone has something to help our dog on our newly refinished floors, I would welcome suggestions. We’ve been using grippy socks which she doesn’t like and they constantly need to be put back on. They definitely help her traction though. Worse than the scratches she leaves on our floors when she is struggling to get a grip is how scared she is. She’s a rescue who has come a long way, but she’s still skittish at times.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

No way I would put in wall to wall carpeting over my existing nice hardwood floors, but I like an area rug in the area we sit on

Our rug slides, too! I need a grippy rug pad.

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

Just putting this here for anyone who needs a reasonably good solution for sliding furniture. I've only used the Gorilla Pads brand. I can't say our furniture doesn't slide at all, but it doesn't slide much.

I need to get these! My daughter likes to skip through the kitchen into the living room and launch herself onto her favorite spot on the sofa. Even though there is a table between the sofa and the wall, everything eventually shifts. It looks pretty ridiculous right now. Dd moves the sofa which moves the rug which makes the entire room so wrong. lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, popmom said:

Our rug slides, too! I need a grippy rug pad.

I need to get these! My daughter likes to skip through the kitchen into the living room and launch herself onto her favorite spot on the sofa. Even though there is a table between the sofa and the wall, everything eventually shifts. It looks pretty ridiculous right now. Dd moves the sofa which moves the rug which makes the entire room so wrong. lol

Yes!! It’s the launching onto the coach after making a running leap that makes the couches move!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, popmom said:

3 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

Yes!! It’s the launching onto the coach after making a running leap that makes the couches move!!

Well now. I can't make any promises about how they'll work with launches and running leaps! LOL

We're an all adult household with two calm 15(ish) pound dogs. It's been a long time since there's been any serious launching and leaping going on around here. 😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

We're an all adult household with two calm 15(ish) pound dogs. It's been a long time since there's been any serious launching and leaping going on around here. 😉 

This is the reason I never put grippy stuff under the couch, because I like to launch into the couch too. I'm afraid with grippiness the couch would just tip over.... My kids get their launching from somewhere. The sock slide down the hallway is from my husband. 

• Haha 2