Menu

Dyeing Gray Hair

Dianthus

I'm starting to get a sprinkling of gray and it bothers me especially in the front. I have never dyed my hair and have naturally dark hair but it does highlight from the sun. I would like to keep my natural color but suspect I would lose it and my natural variation with an all over dark dye and would look stark. Would it be reasonable to find a dye a couple shades lighter to cover the gray? My hope is it would just look like more natural highlights. Would this dye have little/no effect on my darker hair? Is this a bad idea?

Any dye type and brand recommendations? Not thrilled about this process as I've always been a low maintenance girl. It seems like much more gray since my last pregnancy. Still breastfeeding and still hoping some gray will go when I stop in a few months. I even have found 2 gray hairs in the same spot in one eyebrow. Not happy about that.

Edited by Spirea

I'm a natural blonde.  I did one of those at home "highlight" kits initially - then I went to a professional.  I eventually was doing tri-color foils so the gray would blend in.  I finally just gave up.  but at least, my hair was well past the mousy stage.

the stuff doesn't go through your hair easily.  It's like it grabs where it touches and doesn't want to move.

I use the Clairol Natural Instincts hair dye. It's only a semipermanent dye, so instead of roots that require upkeep, it just slowly fades out. I redo it whenever I notice, or if I have an occasion I don't want to look so old for. I do usually use it a bit lighter than my hair so it only covers the grey. I am also not a high maintenance person, and definitely do not have the time or money to be at the salon all the time, so this works great for me. I do find my greys are color resistant, so I really focus on applying it directly to the grey areas the most, and then leave it in a bit longer than the time in the instructions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My hair is naturally dark brown (4) and whenever I feel like it, I dye it with either a semipermanent crazy color (red, purple, blue) that only really sticks to the grays or a brown that’s two shades, significantly, lighter (6) which also only sticks to the grays. It all washes out in 4-6 weeks. Because of the thick gray streaks that I have right up top, it kinda ends up looking like balayage. I also apply it mostly to the grays and leave it on much longer than the box says.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Spirea said:

I'm starting to get a sprinkling of gray and it bothers me especially in the front. I have never dyed my hair and have naturally dark hair but it does highlight from the sun. I would like to keep my natural color but suspect I would lose it and my natural variation with an all over dark dye and would look stark. Would it be reasonable to find a dye a couple shades lighter to cover the gray? My hope is it would just look like more natural highlights. Would this dye have little/no effect on my darker hair? Is this a bad idea?

Any dye type and brand recommendations? Not thrilled about this process as I've always been a low maintenance girl. It seems like much more gray since my last pregnancy. Still breastfeeding and still hoping some gray will go when I stop in a few months. I even have found 2 gray hairs in the same spot in one eyebrow. Not happy about that.

I too have naturally dark hair that I never colored.  I like my hair color.  I like low maintenance. But greying is the pits with dark hair....I go to the salon about every 6 weeks...and in between I use the spray on stuff on my part because I have very strong white line at my part.  My hair dresser uses an old method (that my former hair dresser used and told her how to do). It is very inexpensive and as non harsh as you can hope for coloring your hair.  My hair does not look stark.  It is a semi color and I sit under the dryer for about 45 minutes.  I only pay $60 for a color and trim and Blowdry/straightening.  Low cost of living so YMMV.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I too have naturally dark hair that I never colored.  I like my hair color.  I like low maintenance. But greying is the pits with dark hair....

Exactly how I feel. Was always content with my color but graying is so obvious, even just a few.

I get charged over $60 for a basic cut. I think a color is another $100. It's so ridiculous. I get my hair cut about every six months. It's longer and straight so can stretch out cuts. I really want to try to color myself because I hate paying so much for something so unnecessary.

I use Clairol Root Touch Up. $7 and 10 minutes every 6 weeks or so. Easy peasy. 🙂 

When my hair was long (bra strap length) I would first do my roots, then use the rest in sorta streaks throughout my hair, for that highlight look you are talking about. I don’t mind having some grey hairs, but just at the roots is ridiculous on me (dark hair) and I’m not ready to go grey entirely yet.

Now I have a pixie cut so the Root Touch Up is more than enough for all over color. 

I've noticed a lot of women with blonde hair think that their grey hairs don’t show, but they really do. Not that I care or judge, but having blonde hair doesn’t, in fact, make grey less noticeable than dark hair. That’s my experience with what I’ve seen, anyway.

I've been dying my hair for 25 years or so. When I’m ready to go grey I think I’ll either shave my head or chop my hair super duper short and just be done with it. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Spirea said:

Exactly how I feel. Was always content with my color but graying is so obvious, even just a few.

I get charged over $60 for a basic cut. I think a color is another $100. It's so ridiculous. I get my hair cut about every six months. It's longer and straight so can stretch out cuts. I really want to try to color myself because I hate paying so much for something so unnecessary.

I just decided to put it in the necessary column.  LOL  Well, in fact dh insists I do it because he knows I am super cheap and might decide to stop without his prodding.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I would look at least 10 years older if I didn't dye my hair. To each their own, but I'm much happier with how I look with my grays covered. 

I used semi-perm dye for the first few years I colored and I loved it because there's no obvious line of demarkation when it grows out. However, as I got more gray, I found semi-perm was no longer enough to cover the grays well. I used to go to a salon every 5-6 weeks but discovered during the pandemic that although I have NO hair styling skills, I can actually color it myself and it looks just as good, IMHO. 

I use L'Oreal Excellence Creme permanent color about every 5 weeks or so. Very easy and non-drippy. I have L'Oreal cover up powder for the roots in between coloring and it works well. It almost looks like an eyeshadow palette--you just brush it on with a little brush.  However, Revlon Root Erase dye is SO easy and fast to use that I've just been using that on my part and around my face in between colorings. 

I have naturally medium to dark brown hair and I use Light Brown #6. I don't think it looks as natural when women go too dark and it is, as you said, less dimensional.

Good luck!

ETA: I'm very low maintenance too and it's not the best fun ever to color my hair, but the benefits far outweigh the inconvenience for me.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 3

Spend the money on a stylist.

You can wear a mask and they can do the complete wash, color, cut (I always trim edges) without issues with both you and the stylist masking,

You need to experiment a bit, but once you get it to where you like it, I would get box dye if you want.

My biggest pet peeve with box dyes is, my natural hair is black in color but it had dimension. Box color made it flat and I tried various tonal shading during the pandemic. Was not successful. It covered it but flat. I had DH help, similar result.

I would highly recommend a stylist especially during the transition. Mine is once in 8 weeks currently.

I have long and thick hair. But if I do not dye it, I look like the witch from Hansel and Gretel. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sk8ermaiden said:

I use the Clairol Natural Instincts hair dye. It's only a semipermanent dye, so instead of roots that require upkeep, it just slowly fades out. I redo it whenever I notice, or if I have an occasion I don't want to look so old for. I do usually use it a bit lighter than my hair so it only covers the grey. I am also not a high maintenance person, and definitely do not have the time or money to be at the salon all the time, so this works great for me. I do find my greys are color resistant, so I really focus on applying it directly to the grey areas the most, and then leave it in a bit longer than the time in the instructions.

This is exactly what I do, with a shade a smidge (but only a smidge) lighter than my non-gray natural color.  It ends up looking like highlights.  (I don't wash my hair every day, so YMMV, but) for me it lasts *much* longer for me than the promised ~6 weeks.  At around 10 weeks I sort of touch up the roots and one particularly gray patch around the ears, but I can go ~12 weeks between full-on application. My extremely meticulous artsy daughter does the full on procedures for me, bless her for all time.

• Like 2

Another person who pays for a professional. She uses Redkin Shades, which looks like highlighting and gives shine and dimension to the hair, and it slowly fades out over time, so no harsh "skunk line" down the part. Yes it is expensive. I stretch it out so I go once every 10 weeks. It is the one personal "splurge" for me.

Edited by Lori D.

After several mishaps of trying to fix mine myself, I definitely recommend going to a professional.😂 At the beginning of the pandemic, I considered letting my gray grow out (also have dark brown hair). It grew out about 4 inches, and I realized my gray is very splotchy and not evenly spread throughout my hair. So, back to coloring. Highlights make my hair too dry, so my hairdresser has been putting in some lowlights that just deposits color but keeps it from looking like just a solid brown. I can go about 8 weeks between touch ups and use the root spray in between. 

I’ve been avidly following this thread, as my long time hairstylist recently retired. I’m extremely low maintenance. I’ve been paying for highlights or coloring due to grey hair for many years now and have been afraid to do it myself. But I really want to try. The one thing I’m not understanding is how you avoid the skunk line. I have shoulder length, dark hair with a distinct part that grows very, very quickly. The hair that comes in around the part is almost all grey. So I’m not following how people avoid that happening with semi-permanent  dies or other techniques. My skunk line is completely due to new growth, not color or highlights fading. I only wash my hair about every three days and my color maintains very well. It’s the extremely rapid growth that’s the issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frances said:

I’ve been avidly following this thread, as my long time hairstylist recently retired. I’m extremely low maintenance. I’ve been paying for highlights or coloring due to grey hair for many years now and have been afraid to do it myself. But I really want to try. The one thing I’m not understanding is how you avoid the skunk line. I have shoulder length, dark hair with a distinct part that grows very, very quickly. The hair that comes in around the part is almost all grey. So I’m not following how people avoid that happening with semi-permanent  dies or other techniques. My skunk line is completely due to new growth, not color or highlights fading. I only wash my hair about every three days and my color maintains very well. It’s the extremely rapid growth that’s the issue.

Root touch up is fast and easy to do. Alternatively, there are products like touch up pens and powders for “spot coverage” like part lines and around the temples and that don’t require washing out, like this: https://www.target.com/p/nice-39-n-easy-clairol-root-touch-up-powder-medium-brown-0-07oz/-/A-52487997?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000012735304&CPNG=PLA_Beauty%2BPersonal+Care%2BShopping_Local|Beauty_Ecomm_Beauty&adgroup=SC_Health%2BBeauty&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=c&location=1018794&targetid=pla-895713386848&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImf_okM7b9AIVja6GCh0kUQPgEAQYASABEgILCfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Frances said:

Exactly the same with me.  I don’t see a way around it.  At about three weeks post color the line becomes visible and by week 4 it is distinct.  I spray it with that L’Oréal stuff and it looks great but I hate the way it feels if I run my hands through my hair which I apparently do a lot.  Lol.  So I reserve the spray gunk for special occasions…..and I have discovered that it does not all wash out and after a shampoo it is still covering and not quite so icky feeling when I touch it.  

• Like 2

I also have naturally dark hair.  I used to have it colored.  It kept getting darker and darker (a la Morticia Addams-ish).  So, my stylist tried doing some highlights.  Hated them.  Just made those parts of my hair red and brassy looking.  Decided to give it up probably 15 years ago. Even growing out that color was difficult.  I have other friends who have dark hair who have gone lighter and lighter and eventually blonde over the years.  Almost across the board, I do not feel like their current hair color works well with their skin tones. 

Most of my gray is concentrated in the front - almost a stripe.  I have actually had people ask if it is real!  

For ME (no judgment for others who choose to color their hair), I am glad I quit using color.  I’m sure it has saved me tons of time and money over the years.  

• Like 2

Ugh. I need to figure this out too. I’ve never colored my hair. However, I’m 49 and I’m getting a few white hairs at my temples. It’s only a matter of time. I’m pale and my red hair is my only color. It’s a medium coppery shade and I can’t imagine anyone has much experience with this color. I’m not exactly in a mass market target demographic and I’m afraid of something going horribly wrong.  It doesn’t help that my hair is baby fine. Right now the curls are camouflaging the roots but I’m inly going to get away with that for so long. 

I'm a natural blonde and not a lot of gray yet, but it's definitely getting darker -- kind of a mottled looking dirty dark.  (Maybe that's how gray looks in my hair.)   I use L'Oreal Preference about every three months.  In-between I do a root touch-up.  (Either Clairol or L'Oreal.)

28 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Ugh. I need to figure this out too. I’ve never colored my hair. However, I’m 49 and I’m getting a few white hairs at my temples. It’s only a matter of time. I’m pale and my red hair is my only color. It’s a medium coppery shade and I can’t imagine anyone has much experience with this color. I’m not exactly in a mass market target demographic and I’m afraid of something going horribly wrong.  It doesn’t help that my hair is baby fine. Right now the curls are camouflaging the roots but I’m inly going to get away with that for so long. 

I have never pictured you as a red head!  🤯

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoggirl said:

I also have naturally dark hair.  I used to have it colored.  It kept getting darker and darker (a la Morticia Addams-ish).  So, my stylist tried doing some highlights.  Hated them.  Just made those parts of my hair red and brassy looking.  Decided to give it up probably 15 years ago. Even growing out that color was difficult.  I have other friends who have dark hair who have gone lighter and lighter and eventually blonde over the years.  Almost across the board, I do not feel like their current hair color works well with their skin tones. 

Most of my gray is concentrated in the front - almost a stripe.  I have actually had people ask if it is real!  

For ME (no judgment for others who choose to color their hair), I am glad I quit using color.  I’m sure it has saved me tons of time and money over the years.  

Believe me, I would love to save the time and money. I don’t like the process at all and don’t get or do anything similar like manicures or pedicures. But I don’t wear make-up and the grey completely washes me out. My brother has very different skin tones and the grey looks great on him. I would go grey in a heartbeat if I had his skin.

On 12/10/2021 at 1:26 PM, Sk8ermaiden said:

18 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

This is exactly what I do, with a shade a smidge (but only a smidge) lighter than my non-gray natural color.  It ends up looking like highlights.  (I don't wash my hair every day, so YMMV, but) for me it lasts *much* longer for me than the promised ~6 weeks.  At around 10 weeks I sort of touch up the roots and one particularly gray patch around the ears, but I can go ~12 weeks between full-on application. My extremely meticulous artsy daughter does the full on procedures for me, bless her for all time.

I use the Natural Instincts. I can go about 8 weeks, but I wash my hair probably 4 -5 times a week. When I work out, my head sweats a lot and my hair needs washing afterward. If I could shampoo every  other day, I think it would last probably 10-12 weeks. I really like this product. It keeps a lot of the natural highlighting from the sun. 

I go a bit lighter than my natural shade.

2 hours ago, Frances said:

Believe me, I would love to save the time and money. I don’t like the process at all and don’t get or do anything similar like manicures or pedicures. But I don’t wear make-up and the grey completely washes me out. My brother has very different skin tones and the grey looks great on him. I would go grey in a heartbeat if I had his skin.

Yeah, I'm like you. I;ve never had a mani or pedi and only sometimes wear makeup from the drugstore. I still color my hair because like you, I don't have strong enough coloring to pull off the gray without looking old and tired.

• Like 3

I used to go to a professional. It would cost about $85 with tip for a basic all over color and cut. It was expensive but worth it and I stretched it between visits as long as I could.

But the thing that was not worth it was working with my stylist. She was terrible about returning texts and getting scheduled was just a big pain. (and she isn't too busy...more just an issue with returning texts. I know her outside of the salon and she wants more business. So either is personal and she doesn't want to do my hair or she just is too distracted or forgetful to return texts). Regardless of the reason I gave up and went to Super Cuts and color it myself. I've used a few different things. Currently I have been using Root Touch Up. I like to keep a box on hand so it is there when I need it and it is convenient for me to do it.

I'm much happier with this. I feel like my hair looks just as good (or almost), I am spending a tiny fraction of the money, and I am saving all the time and headache scheduling. I just go to Great Clips or break out my box whenever it works for me and I don't need to think about planning it weeks in advance.

I have tried to let it go before but it always gets bad enough I cave. I really am happier doing it, even my DIY Super Cuts and a box combo. I wouldn't rule out going to a professional again but I would need to find one with a receptionist who makes appointments or online booking or something. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MEmama said:

This is the product I use for temporary touch ups and I'm very happy with it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Frances said:

Same. If I don't want to dye every three weeks, I have to use this temporary touch-up powder or this permanent root cover in between dye jobs. The root cover is much, much faster than using my regular dye. I just do my part and around my face and it only has to process for 10 minutes (5 minutes if you don't have a lot of gray).

Those of you who use semi-perm on grays, how much longer do you let it process? What percent gray are you (25%, 50%, etc.)? Curious about this as well.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Frances said:

I’ve been avidly following this thread, as my long time hairstylist recently retired. I’m extremely low maintenance. I’ve been paying for highlights or coloring due to grey hair for many years now and have been afraid to do it myself.

I got highlights for the first time this summer to blend in the greys as well. I liked the result and it is time to do it again; I have a stylist do it.  

But now that it is winter, I am swimming in the pool again. I can wear a cap, but my hair still gets wet and with the chlorine...

Anyone have any insights to this?  Should I not highlight if I will be in a chlorine pool or any other suggestions?

21 minutes ago, ***** said:

Anyone have any insights to this?  Should I not highlight if I will be in a chlorine pool or any other suggestions?

If you wet your hair well (so it won’t absorb pool water) and use a swim cap you should be fine. There’s shampoo for swimmers too.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

49 and your getting a few white hairs? I’ve had more than a few since my early 30’s. 😢

14 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

49 and your getting a few white hairs? I’ve had more than a few since my early 30’s. 😢

I had two female classmates with some grey hair in high school. One had a wide streak in the front, the other had basically grey highlights. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 1:38 PM, MercyA said:

I would look at least 10 years older if I didn't dye my hair. To each their own, but I'm much happier with how I look with my grays covered. 

I used semi-perm dye for the first few years I colored and I loved it because there's no obvious line of demarkation when it grows out. However, as I got more gray, I found semi-perm was no longer enough to cover the grays well. I used to go to a salon every 5-6 weeks but discovered during the pandemic that although I have NO hair styling skills, I can actually color it myself and it looks just as good, IMHO. 

I use L'Oreal Excellence Creme permanent color about every 5 weeks or so. Very easy and non-drippy. I have L'Oreal cover up powder for the roots in between coloring and it works well. It almost looks like an eyeshadow palette--you just brush it on with a little brush.  However, Revlon Root Erase dye is SO easy and fast to use that I've just been using that on my part and around my face in between colorings. 

I have naturally medium to dark brown hair and I use Light Brown #6. I don't think it looks as natural when women go too dark and it is, as you said, less dimensional.

Good luck!

ETA: I'm very low maintenance too and it's not the best fun ever to color my hair, but the benefits far outweigh the inconvenience for me.

I color my hair because I have small grey hairs sprouting at my temples. Though I have very rapid growth of the grays (only the grays grow fast!) my coloring will last me around 5 weeks before the grays become obvious. At that point, I use Clairol's Root Touch Up (at about the 6 week mark) and it allows me to go without re-coloring my hair for 12 weeks:

https://www.target.com/p/clairol-root-touch-up-permanent-hair-color-kit/-/A-21492393 

ETA: There are many people recommending the root touch up already on this thread ...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Spirea said:

Spin off question regarding application. Will it stain my scalp and skin? How careful should I be?

I've never had a problem. I just take a damp tissue or washcloth and wipe off any dye I might have accidentally gotten on my skin, but I’m not vigilant. I’m sure some dyes are trickier than others, but the product I use has never stained my skin/scalp at all. 

11 hours ago, Spirea said:

Spin off question regarding application. Will it stain my scalp and skin? How careful should I be?

My regular boxed dye (Loreal Excellence Creme) does not stain my skin. After I put on the dye, I use a little makeup remover to wipe off any traces on my face, but I'm not super careful about it.

My quick touch-up dye, Revlon Root Erase, will stain my skin if I'm not careful. It processes so quickly that maybe it's extra strong. I apply moisturizer around my hairline and wipe away any that gets on my face right away. Even if it does stain, though, it usually comes off in the shower with a wet washcloth and shampoo. 

On 12/11/2021 at 12:36 PM, Insertcreativenamehere said:

I use henna, as I'm not a fan of the chemicals used in most hair dyes. It's kind of a hassle and I don't particularly like doing it, but it does cover up the grays very well! 

I am following this thread with interest. Anyone else with experience using Henna? I am worried about allergy with the typical hair dyes. Also, how do I determine the optimal color. I am a darkish blonde with a distinct reddish tone (ha, I don't even know how to describe it!). The grey is definitely getting noticeable around the face.

1 minute ago, Mom_to3 said:

I am following this thread with interest. Anyone else with experience using Henna? I am worried about allergy with the typical hair dyes. Also, how do I determine the optimal color. I am a darkish blonde with a distinct reddish tone (ha, I don't even know how to describe it!). The grey is definitely getting noticeable around the face.

I use Henna Color Labs, and the lightest color they offer is ginger blonde. The ginger blonde is a perfect match for my natural color. I wonder if you might need something lighter, however, and in that case, maybe henna wouldn't work after all. 

• Like 1