Menu

What’s for dinner this week?

Elizabeth86

Frikadellers and roasted veggies with lemon-maple-curry vinaigrette, gingery slaw, St. Lucia buns, sliced asiago cheese, and cranberry-strawberry jam for tonight.  Veggies are beets, delicata squash, zucchini, and the last tiny little Brussels sprouts I pried off my frozen stalks. I cook for a friend on Sundays who lost her husband last summer and it means my family gets one thought-out meal per week.

• Like 3

So far I’m planning on:

Salmon, mini potato gratin stacks (made in cupcake tins), mushy peas

Onion and leek pie, with leftover salmon

Miso chicken over fresh udon noodles, with fried egg, scallions and gochujang chilli sauce

Homemade low carb pizza with butternut squash, ricotta and dried cranberries

• Like 4

We are having Goldshire Goulash tonight.  It isn't actual goulash, I named it that years ago after a game so that the kids would be more likely to eat it.  It is hamburger or sausage browned and mixed with spaghetti sauce and topped with cornbread and baked.

The rest of the week will be:

Ham, brown rice, and veggies

Pulled pork, fried apples, and homemade rolls

Oven baked chicken, rice, veggies

Turkey roast, mashed potatoes, and veggies

Frozen pizza for the boys, date night food take-out for DH and I

Something with leftover turkey

• Like 1

I made this Moroccan lentil and vegetable stew from Budget Bytes last week - it is fantastic and really more like a dal than a soup. Better the next day, and the day after that!   https://www.budgetbytes.com/moroccan-lentil-vegetable-stew/

Tonight I am trying this for the first time:  Creamy chicken and gnocchi from Damn Delicious.   https://damndelicious.net/2020/12/04/creamy-chicken-and-gnocchi/

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, marbel said:

Tonight I am trying this for the first time:  Creamy chicken and gnocchi from Damn Delicious.   https://damndelicious.net/2020/12/04/creamy-chicken-and-gnocchi/

Please let us know how it was!  I think it's something my oldest would love.

Our dinner plans this week are sparse.  Tonight is chicken, risotto, and asparagus, but I have yet to plan the rest of the week.

I've cooked some ginger, carrot and lentil soup. We'll probably add Greek yoghurt to that.

One evening we will probably have smoked mackerel with quinoa, plus beetroot with yoghurt and preserved lemon.

We have some leftover roast chicken  - not sure what the plans are for that.

I'll probably do marinated tofu with roast veg.

• Like 2

chicken tetrazzini

cavatini

chicken melt with avocado, sweet potato chips

meatball soup, tomato bread

chicken, honey wheat bread, root vegetable soup (carrots and parsnips, with leftover pumpkin and spaghetti squash)

taco salad

spinach chicken calzone

We just started getting farm veg delivered from Market Wagon, so our menu planning is now more about pairing protein and carb, and finding out what the veg will be later (we never know what will be in the vegetable variety pack/CSA). It's been fun to try new things, like turnip fries and roasting the pumpkin to make pumpkin muffins.

We got some pak choy this week, and normally I'd use it in a stir fry, but we don't have other stir fry veg to go with it. I'm trying to decide if I can just chop it up fine and put it in the tetrazzini, or maybe just blend it into the root vegetable soup? ETA: I added the diced pak choy to the tetrazzini in place of the onion. The flavor seemed the same, and it added a nice crunch to the dish. Everyone served themselves seconds, so I guess that was an acceptable substitution.

Edited by rutheart
updated usage of pak choy
  • Like 2

I’ve got a big batch of bone in chicken breasts brining in the fridge. I’m going to smoke them. I’ll make white bean chicken chili with it and tacos or quesadillas. 

I need to see if any stores have Boston Butt on sale if I’m going to the trouble to smoke the chicken. I’m craving Brunswick stew and corn bread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

I’m going low carb to lose weight…

next week:

bacon, egg, and sausage, grits and toast for those who want it

chickpeas, spinach, turkey stew

Burgers and tots for those who want it 

Herbed chicken with potatoes and roasted broccoli, cauliflower, and green beans 

Low carb taco casserole 

I’m supposed to be eating low carb, but I’m having a hard time with it. I’m attempting moderate/lower carb for now. 

• Like 1

Eat-what-we-have-before-leaving-town-in-6-days-menu: 😂

spaghetti

chicken & rice soup

pork chops, whatever veggies re left in the fridge 

bean burritos and maybe rice

probably a night of a combo of hot dogs still left in the fridge, any fruits/veg left, hummus/guacamole remaining, yogurt (not everyone will eat all of these things lol we will divide and conquer. I, for one, will not be eating hot dogs but will grab any hummus and guacamole remaining!)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Please let us know how it was!  I think it's something my oldest would love.

This was so delicious. I followed the recipe to the letter, including the white wine which could be replaced with chicken broth if needed. My people said it could use some more garlic but otherwise was fantastic. If there are kale haters, it's OK because they won't taste it. I think some mushrooms would be good in it.  One of mine LOVES creamy foods and this def hit that button.

https://damndelicious.net/2020/12/04/creamy-chicken-and-gnocchi/

Oh wait, I did not have cauliflower gnocchi as called for, just potato. I had never cooked or eaten gnocchi before. I would look for cauliflower to reduce the carbs a bit.  

I made this recipe for dessert, it has a rather unorthodox (to me anyway) technique for the shortbread, but is also delicious:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/raspberry-shortbread-bars

This is not how I normally cook. We had a guest here. Also, I work 4 nights a week so only make dinner 3 nights, and I like to cook, so kinda went for a special dinner tonight. 

Edited by marbel
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, marbel said:

This was so delicious. I followed the recipe to the letter, including the white wine which could be replaced with chicken broth if needed. My people said it could use some more garlic but otherwise was fantastic. If there are kale haters, it's OK because they won't taste it. I think some mushrooms would be good in it.  One of mine LOVES creamy foods and this def hit that button.

https://damndelicious.net/2020/12/04/creamy-chicken-and-gnocchi/

Oh wait, I did not have cauliflower gnocchi as called for, just potato. I had never cooked or eaten gnocchi before. I would look for cauliflower to reduce the carbs a bit.  

I made this recipe for dessert, it has a rather unorthodox (to me anyway) technique for the shortbread, but is also delicious:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/raspberry-shortbread-bars

This is not how I normally cook. We had a guest here. Also, I work 4 nights a week so only make dinner 3 nights, and I like to cook, so kinda went for a special dinner tonight. 

Okay, I'm sold.  Oldest ds loves gnocchi and I just had him look at the recipe. He was very enthusiastic about it. LOL  It's on the schedule for next week, when I have an extra evening to devote to it.

And I don't think I would use the cauliflower gnocchi, either.  I don't even think we could get it here if we wanted it, but I know where to find fresh potato gnocchi.

• Like 1

Chicken Stir fry (I do veggies in sesame oil and add cooked chicken and ginger. I serve it with a salad, rice, and a choice of Asian bottled sauces.)

Spaghetti and meatballs with green beans

Chicken pot pie with potatoes

Tuesday is dinner out because dh has an away game and I pick up ds from school to come home for the break; and ds and I leave town Thursday afternoon.  I'm still thinking about what I'll  leave to help dh out while we're gone. 

Edited by mom31257

Cheesy chicken last night. (Chicken breasts dipped in butter melted with garlic, coated in breadcrumbs mixed with shredded cheeses. Baked. My stomach is regretting the fat, but oh so easy!)

Italian beef in the crockpot tonight.

Meatloaf tomorrow because I found a decent sale on ground beef.

Most of the rest of the week will be made up of leftovers and free for alls.

I try to keep December simple to make room for baking!

• Thanks 1

Broiled salmon with garlic and ginger, stir fried veg

Beef Stroganoff over noodles and salad

Alton Brown's lentil soup

Panfried chicken and green beans

White chili (ground turkey, cumin, great northern beans, zucchini, carrots & kale)

Since I'm a lazy veggie lover, I often throw tons of veggies in soups, stews or sautes instead of making separate veg side dishes. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Okay, I'm sold.  Oldest ds loves gnocchi and I just had him look at the recipe. He was very enthusiastic about it. LOL  It's on the schedule for next week, when I have an extra evening to devote to it.

And I don't think I would use the cauliflower gnocchi, either.  I don't even think we could get it here if we wanted it, but I know where to find fresh potato gnocchi.

Trader Joe’s sells cauliflower gnocchi; it’s delicious. They also sell kale gnocchi. I haven’t yet tried that. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MooCow said:

Nothing 

Nothing 

Nothing 

Don't know 

Don't know 

Don't know 

I'm doing finals and it's crunch time 😊 

My poor family

This is me right now. I ordered Chinese food and stalked this thread yesterday and I still have no plan. I’m going to a grocery store in 30 minutes (for DS’s Covid booster) so I’m hoping for inspiration before we get in the car. I still need to clean some thanksgiving stuff out of my fridge!

I think I’ll get a ham for tonight and serve it with potatoes, roasted broccoli, and a mustard cream sauce. That meal is low-effort high-reward in my book and the leftover ham makes tomorrow’s breakfast or lunch really easy.

• Like 1