Menu

Regeneron

pinball

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

What I've heard (fortunately not in person, but online) is that anti-vax people are blaming vaccinated people for "shedding" the vaccine and thus spreading the delta variant.  Stupid.  (yes, that last is my opinion.)

From listening to the anti-vaxxers that I know of, I think that they were generally unaware of how contagious or how deadly the Delta variant is. They are now unhappy with the fact that they have to face reality which means that they have to come to terms that they might be hospitalized. So, it is an awakening for them from their masks-are-anti-science, mRNA-is-gene-therapy stance and facing the reality that Covid is not just a flu and that Covid will cause death in their community. Their first response is to blame everyone and everything else, gaslight that the cause of the pandemic is due to vaccinated people shedding, listen to the fact that their political messiahs are all fully vaccinated and then grumble some more and take the vaccine - this is just the people I know of IRL.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Fear.  They are so afraid of "losing their freedoms" that they've lost their mind instead.

Quoting myself to say that I'm specifically saying this about people who have become mean and horrible.  I do know people who haven't vaxxed because they overestimate (in my opinion) their ability to fend off this virus, who just haven't gotten to it or have been influenced by the wrong people/messages.  But yet they are still kind respectful people who are not mean and horrible. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Quoting myself to say that I'm specifically saying this about people who have become mean and horrible.  I do know people who haven't vaxxed because they overestimate (in my opinion) their ability to fend off this virus, who just haven't gotten to it or have been influenced by the wrong people/messages.  But yet they are still kind respectful people who are not mean and horrible. 

Yes, I know wonderful people who are unvaccinated.  Dh and ds!   I keep begging, but I can't force it.  🤷🏻‍♀️  They're not jerks though.    I haven't seen any pro-vax or anti-vax a-holes around here (my local area).   Thank god.   Because when @Faith-manorsaid she saw it 'here', I thought 'WTM' and boy, I saw red.  😱

Edited by WildflowerMom
  • Like 1

re gradual process of facing reality

13 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

From listening to the anti-vaxxers that I know of, I think that they were generally unaware of how contagious or how deadly the Delta variant is. They are now unhappy with the fact that they have to face reality which means that they have to come to terms that they might be hospitalized. So, it is an awakening for them from their masks-are-anti-science, mRNA-is-gene-therapy stance and facing the reality that Covid is not just a flu and that Covid will cause death in their community. Their first response is to blame everyone and everything else, gaslight that the cause of the pandemic is due to vaccinated people shedding, listen to the fact that their political messiahs are all fully vaccinated and then....

Well, if this is the evolution... but it ends

13 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

... grumble some more and take the vaccine - this is just the people I know of IRL.

here...

All right then. That will help.

Too little too late.  But still, it will help.

It's really hard to shift a worldview. More so when the surround-sound is exhorting you to hold to the prior. I have empathy.

But truth be told, it's wearing thin.  And if I were a health care worker in a Texas hospital I expect it'd be gone by now.

• Like 5

Jacksonville Florida has opened their main library as a Regeneron clinic where the general public can go and receive monoclonal antibody treatment without requiring a doctor's referral: https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/coronavirus/2021/08/16/florida-starts-free-regeneron-treatment-jacksonvilles-main-library/8160241002/

Someone shared this picture from the inside (faces obscured for privacy), and it's a little horrifying to me. It reminds me of the pictures out of China early on with sick people lying on sidewalks. It seems like these people belong in the hospital, not the library. But, the hospitals are too full. Wouldn't they be too ill for regeneron at this point?

I'm seeing in certain circles, Regeneron is being talked up as the new better-than-vaccines cure. Which is really irresponsible talk. It seems to be one of the best things we have once someone is infected, but before they get too ill, but it's not as effective as the vaccine (and requires getting sick first).

• Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 8

5 minutes ago, KSera said:

Jacksonville Florida has opened their main library as a Regeneron clinic where the general public can go and receive monoclonal antibody treatment without requiring a doctor's referral: https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/coronavirus/2021/08/16/florida-starts-free-regeneron-treatment-jacksonvilles-main-library/8160241002/

Someone shared this picture from the inside (faces obscured for privacy), and it's a little horrifying to me. It reminds me of the pictures out of China early on with sick people lying on sidewalks. It seems like these people belong in the hospital, not the library. But, the hospitals are too full. Wouldn't they be too ill for regeneron at this point?

I'm seeing in certain circles, Regeneron is being talked up as the new better-than-vaccines cure. Which is really irresponsible talk. It seems to be one of the best things we have once someone is infected, but before they get too ill, but it's not as effective as the vaccine (and requires getting sick first).

I have . . . so many questions.

They mostly boil down to why the library

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Danae said:

So weird, right? I hope they have some really good filtration to run, and that they air it out really well before they open back up to the public.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Danae said:

Public area. Lots of floor space. Probably in an area with good parking and access. 

Why not a medical facility is because medical facilities are overrun. 

(But in n this era of misinformation I would want this fact checked. I would never had said that before the last couple of years.). 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Public area. Lots of floor space. Probably in an area with good parking and access. 

Why not a medical facility is because medical facilities are overrun. 

(But in n this era of misinformation I would want this fact checked. I would never had said that before the last couple of years.). 

I saw the indoor picture first, and then went looking to see if it was real. I found articles on multiple websites (including the Jacksonville.com one above) verifying they are indeed running a Regeneron clinic at that library, and that the picture shared is a picture of the inside of the Jacksonville library. I see the sign on the wall says "auditorium" so that makes some sense about why they are doing it there. My nearby libraries are so tiny and have nothing like an auditorium, so that would be really weird here, but I can understand given that they have a large room there and parking (and probably bus access, which is a freaky thought all in itself, as far as sick people needing transport to get treatment).

• Like 1

I keep looking at that picture and thinking…this is DeSantis’s grand plan?  Hospitals over run and sick people laying on the floor of public spaces trying to get treatment?  He’s been toting this as some sort of brilliant plan but it feels dystopian.   And people in Florida are happy with this because….freedom?

• Like 14

Apparently it’s been confirmed by the city of Jacksonville. They were overwhelmed and did not have enough wheelchairs. They’re looking to fix that problem and reiterated that this treatment is for the relatively healthy by the time you’re that sick it’s not going to do much. this is a report at the local abc affiliate  she’s got more info on her Twitter feed 

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, hshibley said:

Apparently it’s been confirmed by the city of Jacksonville. They were overwhelmed and did not have enough wheelchairs. They’re looking to fix that problem and reiterated that this treatment is for the relatively healthy by the time you’re that sick it’s not going to do much. this is a report at the local abc affiliate  she’s got more info on her Twitter feed 

I think that people need to understand that “relatively healthy “ with covid can still be pretty sick. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KSera said:

I saw the indoor picture first, and then went looking to see if it was real. I found articles on multiple websites (including the Jacksonville.com one above) verifying they are indeed running a Regeneron clinic at that library, and that the picture shared is a picture of the inside of the Jacksonville library. I see the sign on the wall says "auditorium" so that makes some sense about why they are doing it there. My nearby libraries are so tiny and have nothing like an auditorium, so that would be really weird here, but I can understand given that they have a large room there and parking (and probably bus access, which is a freaky thought all in itself, as far as sick people needing transport to get treatment).

Thanks. I know that there will be “it’s a fake!” screams from people who find that reality upsets their worldview that Covid is “nothing to get excited about “. I feel good about the confirmations of truth. Not that that will convince the diehard anti-maskers etc. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
typo
  • Like 3

I also want to make clear the library is closed during this. Would be really crazy if they weren't, but at least there's that. I'm glad they are making the treatment available to people this way, I just wish they were also doing other things to prevent people from needing it in the first place. If people are thinking, "I don't need to get vaccinated or wear a mask or stay home from large gatherings because if I do get Covid, I'll just go down to the Regeneron site and get fixed up," it might be helpful for those people to see these pictures and see it's not really a place you want to end up.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I think that people need to understand that “relatively healthy “ with covid can still be pretty sick. 

I took that to mean that these people had waited too long to get the treatment for it to help. You need to be treated within a few days of being exposed and tested. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Very true. 

I also think we can very safely say these people aren't getting easy access to this treatment within 24-48 hours of their asymptomatic positive test.  I do think having it accessible without a referral is positive but they should be cranking through anyone 40+/comorbidity super fast if this is going to make a significant difference in hospitalizations and outcomes.  It's hard to imagine it's going to do much good with people in this state already when they get it.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I know that there will be “it’s a fake!” screams from people who find that reality upsets their worldview

Yes, well, there's people who say that after every school shooting, also 😢. I don't trust random pictures like this without decent verification though, so didn't share until I felt there was enough evidence it is what it says it is. Does more harm than good when fake things get shared.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, HeartString said:

I keep looking at that picture and thinking…this is DeSantis’s grand plan?  Hospitals over run and sick people laying on the floor of public spaces trying to get treatment?  He’s been toting this as some sort of brilliant plan but it feels dystopian.   And people in Florida are happy with this because….freedom?

Monoclonal antibodies for the people when vaccines are free and masks are available. I don’t think that people collapsed on the floors of public buildings are relishing their “freedoms” when they are struggling to breathe. Sad 😢

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Very true. 

I also think we can very safely say these people aren't getting easy access to this treatment within 24-48 hours of their asymptomatic positive test.  I do think having it accessible without a referral is positive but they should be cranking through anyone 40+/comorbidity through super fast if this is going to make a significant difference in hospitalizations and outcomes.  It's hard to imagine it's going to do much good with people in this state already when they get it.  

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that most asymptomatic people aren't getting tested.  So it would be people who start to show symptoms.  And even then there are the "I'm sure that it's only a cold or allergy" thoughts that keep people from getting tested right away.  Then when it's bad enough that they really can't ignore it anymore, they get tested and then try desperately to find places like this for treatment. 

• Like 7

On 8/18/2021 at 11:52 AM, pinball said:

What is the cost of a human life again? 

As the parent of a PICU kid I can’t imagine anyone turning down a vaccine in favor of a possible ICU stay or a treatment in an attempt to prevent one after an illness occurs. Trust me - cost isn’t something you think of when you get to that point. 

The same people that rail against the ACA because they don’t want to pay for someone else’s health care are the same people who are against masks, against social distancing and against vaccines but they are fine if they pay, through their tax dollars,  for other people’s COVID related ICU stay or an expensive treatment for the illness. 

Get a grip. Expense has nothing to do with the decisions people are making. We’re just pointing out the inconsistencies. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 9

24 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that most asymptomatic people aren't getting tested.  So it would be people who start to show symptoms.  And even then there are the "I'm sure that it's only a cold or allergy" thoughts that keep people from getting tested right away.  Then when it's bad enough that they really can't ignore it anymore, they get tested and then try desperately to find places like this for treatment. 

You just described our family situations right now.    

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

Monoclonal antibodies for the people when vaccines are free and masks are available. I don’t think that people collapsed on the floors of public buildings are relishing their “freedoms” when they are struggling to breathe. Sad 😢

Do we know if they're all unvaccinated?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I have no idea how we would know that. From the data we have at this point, it’s reasonable to think that 90+ percent of them are unvaccinated and some small percentage are vaccinated. If the 90% unvaccinated was reduced to the same percentage of illness as among the vaccinated, everyone who needed treatment could be receiving it in the hospital where they could have a bed instead of the floor, because hospitals would it be full.

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, KSera said:

I have no idea how we would know that. From the data we have at this point, it’s reasonable to think that 90+ percent of them are unvaccinated and some small percentage are vaccinated. If the 90% unvaccinated was reduced to the same percentage of illness as among the vaccinated, everyone who needed treatment could be receiving it in the hospital where they could have a bed instead of the floor, because hospitals would it be full.

Okay, so 9 of them are unvaccinated, 1 is vaccinated. Every single one of them exercised their freedom.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Nobody knows because whether they are unvaccinated or not is personal information, not available until the people lying on those floors choose to disclose it. But, considering the general sentiment in the place that this is happening and google telling me that some counties of Florida have a vaccination rate of 20-30%, and the rampant anti mask attitudes prevalent there, I am willing to hazard an educated guess that most of the people collapsed on the floor in public spaces are the unvaccinated. Vaccines are still an effective tool in protecting against moderate and fatal Covid. The library setup was intended for the slightly ill who were in the early stages of infection when it is the best time to use this treatment. If a person who is vaccinated got infected, then they will not be severely ill and they could go to these public places for getting the antibodies. But, it is best if the severely ill got admitted to a hospital to receive this treatment but the hospitals are overflowing, hence this tragedy.

If the vaccination rates were high, there would not be a situation where ill people had to end up getting treatment in libraries and tents. People unable to breathe and lying on floors and parking lots has been known to happen in 3rd world and developing countries like The Philippines, India and Brazil and it is bizarre to see it happen to americans who have an overabundance of resources, technology and information at their disposal compared to those poor countries.

The ones needing treatment would have a hospital bed and better care available to them if these counties had 90-100% vaccination uptake.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 10

16 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Right, we don't know if they are or not.

You are engaging in reality-denialism.

Look at the local hospitalization rates.

Delta is having the most serious impacts on those who remain unvaccinated and trying to confuse the issue only advances illness and death.

Bill

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Even the ones with medical exemptions?

For about the 687,910th time, people are not mad at/frustrated with those who cannot be vaccinated or who choose to be somewhat responsible and mask/socially distance but not vaccinate. It is the loudmouths who scream, "Muh Rights you can't make me put a face diaper on! Vaxes are the mark of the beast! Sheeple!" Etc. Etc. that are irritating people. 

Now, I'm frustrated that we have to have this conversation again. I think this has come up in every single vax/anti-vax thread here. 

Once more, for those in the back lurking, if you CANNOT get vaxxed due to your personal doctor's recommendation, most people who are vaccinated don't hate you and don't lump you in with the Anti-Vax AND Anti-Mask AND loudmouth crowd. I would guess most feel to some extent that their personal vaccinations are to help protect you as well as themselves. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 18

7 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

So which ones in the picture fall in every category? The point is there is no way of knowing. Where's the compassion? Y'all insist you're not proposing holding medical treatments for the unboxed but I'm starting not to believe it

What I'm starting not to believe is that you are acting in good faith.

No one is going to be swayed by your gaslighting.

Bill

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

So which ones in the picture fall in every category? The point is there is no way of knowing. Where's the compassion? Y'all insist you're not proposing holding medical treatments for the unboxed but I'm starting not to believe it

Where on earth are you getting this?  People are expressing horror at the photo because they have compassion for the people in it. Sick people should not be lying on the floor of a public building!  They should be in beds, with proper medical care.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

18 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I don't know how to multi-quote, but what I read was mostly shock and sadness that this kind of "treatment" (ie: lying on the floor in a library too sick to move) is happening right here today in the USA. It's not a normal state of affairs. I saw frustration that it has gotten this bad (with, yes, some pointing of fingers of blame), but mostly, wishes that we (general we) could've done better. 

I'm very frustrated today as my oldest is currently away at college in a state that has NO, 0, ZIP, ZILCH ICU beds. Yes, she's vaccinated, but what if she's in a car accident or her knee (that she's currently using a cane for) totally gives out and she has to go to the local hospital. 

I'd like to think that my mom (in FL) can seek some medical care if needed as well. 

Heck, for that matter, my local hospital doubled patients in the last week and is stating they're going to have to make some tough decisions possibly sooner than expected. 

It's all maddening, frustrating, scary, and saddening. 

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 15
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

So which ones in the picture fall in every category? The point is there is no way of knowing. 

Well, since statistically only a vanishingly small % of the population has an actual medical reason not to get a Covid vax, I would say probably none of the people in the picture fall into that category.  From a pure probability standpoint.

What are the actual medical contrainidcations to the covid vaccine?  I went a-searching, and this is all I could find (bolding from the article, not me): 
https://www.forbes.com/sites/victoriaforster/2021/08/19/what-are-the-medical-exemptions-for-not-getting-a-covid-19-vaccine/?sh=2e878c144c5b

Whether you agree with them or not, vaccine requirements have arrived and one opinion which seems to be fairly universally held, is that people with genuine medical conditions preventing them from getting vaccinated against Covid-19 should not be subject to these mandates or passports and doing so would be discriminatory. But what are these medical conditions and how many people do they affect? Well, the answer might surprise you:

There are no known medical conditions which absolutely prevent a person from getting a Covid-19 vaccine.

However, as with everything during the pandemic nothing is simple and there are rare circumstances where people should consult with physicians to help them make an informed decision and manage any potential risk. One of these health conditions which is somewhat of a murky gray area is known severe allergies either to previous vaccines or to the first shot of a Covid-19 vaccine and the CDC currently provides guidance on what people with these allergies should do.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, Danae said:

Where on earth are you getting this?  People are expressing horror at the photo because they have compassion for the people in it. Sick people should not be lying on the floor of a public building!  They should be in beds, with proper medical care.

I can see a benefit to having them in a place other than the hospital to receive that treatment. We know they're covid positive and they're not able to spread it at the hospital to people who are there for other reasons.

6 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I can see a benefit to having them in a place other than the hospital to receive that treatment. We know they're covid positive and they're not able to spread it at the hospital to people who are there for other reasons.

I kind of think that by the time someone is sick enough to lay on the floor in public that more medical care is needed.  That’s a very ill person.  

• Like 13

In a health care emergency, I'm in favor of the local health authorities setting up treatment centers wherever they need to (especially when ICUs are at capacity).

Whatever it takes.

But any thinking person knows it did not have to come to this.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 9

Even the ones with medical exemptions?

As I have said before, I have had medical exemptions for years for vaccines. I masked long before Covid made it popular because of that . But everyone should do the maximum mitigation efforts AVAILABLE TO THEM. I doubt that most of those people have actual medical exemptions. And unfortunately (and I say that sincerely) they are paying a price for it. I sincerely hope that the price isn’t too great. 

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Except there are no beds for people with other reasons. My elderly mother has been in an ER for over 24 hours waiting for a bed to open up. I have to admit to a little bit of anger that there are a whole lot of people in those beds who chose not to vaccinate and are now taking up the bed she needs. This did not need to be this way. Delta has spread because people didn’t vaccinate in large enough numbers. If they had, the virus would have hit a wall that it couldn’t get through and we wouldn’t be right back in this situation. That’s how public health works. We vaccinate to build a wall to protect the whole, not the individual. That we don’t get sick ourselves is the bonus. 

ETA: she is there for other reasons

Edited by scholastica
Clarifying info
  • Like 10
  • Sad 9

3 minutes ago, scholastica said:

Except there are no beds for people with other reasons. My elderly mother has been in an ER for over 24 hours waiting for a bed to open up. I have to admit to a little bit of anger that there are a whole lot of people in those beds who chose not to vaccinate and are now taking up the bed she needs. This did not need to be this way. Delta has spread because people didn’t vaccinate in large enough numbers. If they had, the virus would have hit a wall that it couldn’t get through and we wouldn’t be right back in this situation. That’s how public health works. We vaccinate to build a wall to protect the whole, not the individual. That we don’t get sick ourselves is the bonus. 

ETA: she is there for other reasons

I'm very sorry about your mom and hope she gets the care she needs soon.

DH just forwarded me a story that when Texas goes to a level 2 emergency (predicted next week), they’ll start using vaccination status to triage. Those who have been vaccinated are much more likely to survive so they’ll get priority ICU beds. 

I feel like making this announcement widespread might do more to encourage vaccination than anything else. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

28 minutes ago, Katy said:

DH just forwarded me a story that when Texas goes to a level 2 emergency (predicted next week), they’ll start using vaccination status to triage. Those who have been vaccinated are much more likely to survive so they’ll get priority ICU beds. 

I feel like making this announcement widespread might do more to encourage vaccination than anything else. 

Wow.  Irony is dead.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It's very difficult in many places in Florida to get a test in any kind of reasonable time frame. It can take 4 days or more for an appointment, and the drive in places have long lines and are closing early from too many people. 

It is compassionate to say we wish there were more available hospital beds, and less people getting sick. 

And if that was the reason, that would be different. But it isn't the reason, and you know it. Hospitals are overrun, and that is a bad thing. 

• Like 7