Menu

Ripped jeans after 45 years old?

crazyforlatin

I have a pair of jeans with holes on both knees (made that way), high waisted, soft and comfortable, but I’m not a spring chicken, and I have a teen daughter who could wear this but is “so over the ripped look.” 

I'm not the type to wear whatever makes me feel happy. I prefer to look modern but not give off wanna be teen look vibe. 

So would you wear ripped jeans? And how would you style it?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally no I wouldn't but then again, I wouldn't have worn them in my teens, 20's, 30's, or 40's.  I know they have been in and out of style but I've never gotten past the fact that they look like someone's old worn out jeans that should be thrown in the trash.  I don't think they look good on anyone.  I hope that doesn't sound harsh, because I'm truly not trying to be.  I'm just with your daughter that ripped jeans is a style that needs to die. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Well, I’m 45 and just bought this pair, so I say yes, wear them! I’m with @Katy in that if it fits your style, then go for it. The high waist makes them more modern, and if you style them with other current items, I think they’ll look great! I do prefer this kind of jeans in the summer or spring when it seems more relaxed. I pair mine with a current looking pair of sandals. I’d never wear them with a pair of running shoes, for example. (But that’s just me!). Also, if you happen to be looking for a light read on fashion, I LOVE Jo-Lynne Shane’s blog. It’s fashion over 40, and her style appeals to me. That’s where I found the jeans I linked above!

• Like 2

*I personally* don’t like ripped jeans on anyone, especially the super-destroyed look; I think it just seems so anti-frugal, which would bother me. On *myself* I also don’t want all that visual attention to my bottom half - not that there’s anything wrong with my bottom half - I prefer dark, sleek jeans. 

This is just 100% my personal opinion but to me, older women in ripped jeans looks like trying to be something they are not. I might make an exception if someone has a very youthful look and dresses funky/different already, but that’s my general impression. 

• Like 15

36 minutes ago, Katy said:

If you like sort of edgy style, ripped jeans can absolutely make an otherwise classic outfit less boring. You should look like you, no matter your age. 

If you at all identify with this, totally wear them:  

I tend to pair classic with a relaxed item, but I don't gravitate towards edgy. But I would be comfortable with ripped jeans and short blazer and sneakers. 

4 minutes ago, Quill said:

*I personally* don’t like ripped jeans on anyone, especially the super-destroyed look; I think it just seems so anti-frugal, which would bother me. On *myself* I also don’t want all that visual attention to my bottom half - not that there’s anything wrong with my bottom half - I prefer dark, sleek jeans. 

This is just 100% my personal opinion but to me, older women in ripped jeans looks like trying to be something they are not. I might make an exception if someone has a very youthful look and dresses funky/different already, but that’s my general impression. 

Exactly, and I can only get away with this until masks are no longer required.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Katy said:

If you like sort of edgy style, ripped jeans can absolutely make an otherwise classic outfit less boring. You should look like you, no matter your age. 

If you at all identify with this, totally wear them:  

I hate to say it but I find this person extremely annoying to watch. I am actually interested in finding out what “Edgy Classic” means because I think that is probably me, but aye, aye, aye...🤦🏻‍♀️

You can’t go wrong with pairing them with Docs. They literally go with everything. 🙂 

FWIW I also find myself concerned about dressing young for my age, but I’m getting over it. I’m not trying to look like a teenager, but nor does that mean I have to give up my style. Even though recently my style happens to be reverting back to what I liked as a teenager. Lol

• Like 2

The "ripped" or "distressed" jeans look is actually not super modern, but is closing in on a 35 years old "style". It's been around in some form or another since the 1980s. So maybe if you really want to be modern -- and even edgy -- NON distressed clothing with even hems (rather than short in one part, long in another) and neckline styles that make sense (rather than one-shouldered or "cold-shouldered") might be the way to go... 😂 

Another vote for wear what you like. 😄 

But also agreeing with posters upthread that personally, to me, purposefully ripped or distressed clothing is just not a "style" that works for anyone, IMO. 😉 The only time it makes sense to me is when it is clear that someone is in the midst of painting or home repairs, is wearing their old clothes, and has to make an emergency trip to Home Depot or the grocery store... 😂

Totally an aside: I actually have hostile feelings towards that style, but esp. towards the designers making oodles of money selling ripped jeans to teens and young people who have never had to work long days at physical labor/construction jobs where jeans make sense and DO get ripped and distressed as a result of hard work. It seems like a smack in the face to real working people to "make trendy" a "look" that is the everyday reality of low-wage laborers who can't always afford to replace clothing damaged from their work. 😩

Plus, like it was mentioned up-thread, that really rubs me the wrong way to take new, undamaged clothing and purposefully damage it to make a "style statement", which also really reduces the longevity of wear. It seems like wanton wastefulness, when there are so many people in need around the world who would be so grateful to have a pair of new, whole pants -- all of their clothing IS ripped and worn and distressed; it's not a choice or "style statement" for them. 😢

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

I also think people should wear what they like and trust their own instincts, or have someone who would be truthful with them as a check. I despise ripped jeans, period, for reasons similar to Quill's and Lori D's. My daughter laughed when she modeled a new pair for me recently, and asked "what do you think of the FIT of these jeans? I know you hate the rips."  I think there are older women who can carry off a "young" look, and there are women who can't, just as with any style. Like, some women can carry off the boho/hippie look, but I look and feel ridiculous in wide-legged flowy flowered pants. 🙂

My daughter is a great fashion consultant for me. She will be honest if something looks bad, but also has talked me into trying on/buying some things I never would have thought of for myself.  But she would never try to talk me into ripped jeans, LOL. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 4

45?  You are young still!!  I'm older.  🙂  But regardless, I wear whatever is comfortable when I'm home.  If I have to run an errand, I keep on those same clothes.  So if they happen to be cut-offs, or jeans worn thin with holes in them, whatever.  

I probably wouldn't wear them as a fashion statement though.

• Like 3

Wear what you like/love and makes you feel good. I turned 45 today and picked up my hubby last week in thigh high suede boots, a denim mini w/a shredded hem, and an oversized off the shoulder sweater so...yeah. I do cute. 🤣 I’m not sure I still own the boots or the skirt since DD was eyeing the whole ensemble tho. That said, I have deep red hair and don’t look a day over 30. 🤨

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 5

If you love them, wear them.  I'm convinced that fashion is mostly about feeling confident in how you look in clothing and less about what is actually in style these days.

FWIW, I do wear mildly distressed jeans. My stylist sent them to me (Stitch Fix) and this winter I've been styling them with different scoop neck sweaters and flats.  This summer I'll probably pair them with some of my solid colored t-shirts and sandals.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Happy Birthday !!! 

I do more old lady than cute though in TX all old ladies are dressed cute. As long as I am not dressing like the Queen I figure I am in the right age range. 

Feels good is more accessories and jewelry. I have three piercings in my ear, a nose piercing, wear bracelets, rings, necklaces and an ankle bracelet on one leg. This is every day jewelry that I never take off. The compromise is they are extremely small and they melt into me. I wear these with boots even doc Martens and have long braided hair. 

What I would ideally like to wear is big, chunky silver jewelry, glass bangles and anklets with bells that tinkle so every step I take makes some sort of noise/melody. I wear that when I wear Indian dress.. But my basic jewelry stays the same. That is me and makes me feel good. 

The whole thing of figuring out what is appropriate as we age is bugging me. I want to wear a uniform and get on with it.

I’m a curvy woman, always have been, always will be. I used to be self conscious about it b/c I didn’t match the fashions of my era but not anymore. My body is a throwback and so is my style. Everything I wear that actually fits and is flattering winds up looking sexed up. Oh well. 🤷🏽‍♀️ Having a ‘mad men’ body in the shapeless 80s and grungy 90s nearly scarred me for life. It was awful. Now, I dress the form I have and damn the consequences. DH and DD aren’t complaining so I think I’m good. ☺️

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Quill said:

I hate to say it but I find this person extremely annoying to watch. I am actually interested in finding out what “Edgy Classic” means because I think that is probably me, but aye, aye, aye...🤦🏻‍♀️

I have to watch her at double speed because she's so slow, but I find her insights interesting.  I don't like much edgy on myself though.  It feels too abrasive.  I'm mostly minimal, with a bit of sporty, soft, and cute if you watch her whole style twist series.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

I'm not the type to wear whatever makes me feel happy. I prefer to look modern but not give off wanna be teen look vibe. 

What does that mean? Do you wear what makes you unhappy?

I know it's trite, but I think anything worn with confidence and by a happy woman looks best. I'm trying to own that myself and to really think about what I want to wear instead of what I think others want me to wear. I'm pretty vanilla, but I think of the older women I know who look fabulous and most of them either are women who probably always looked fabulous and stylish or they are women who are so happy and comfortable with themselves, that they look fabulous in anything- it's their spirit that gets you. I want to be someone with the spirit- I'm certainly not the 1st category.

I wouldn't buy ripped jeans but I've worn plenty of them because there was a time when I had constant holes from crawling on the floor with little kids. I've decided I don't want to wear frills and ruffles anymore. I feel ridiculous in them and I don't want to be that little girl. I gave all my clothes with ruffles to my DDs. I'm not sure there's anything I'd say an older woman shouldn't wear if she wants- that seems a little misogynist, but we shouldn't wear things that make us feel ridiculous, unhappy, or insecure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Wear what you like/love and makes you feel good. I turned 45 today and picked up my hubby last week in thigh high suede boots, a denim mini w/a shredded hem, and an oversized off the shoulder sweater so...yeah. I do cute. 🤣 I’m not sure I still own the boots or the skirt since DD was eyeing the whole ensemble tho. That said, I have deep red hair and don’t look a day over 30. 🤨

Happy Birthday! I'm sure you looked great in that outfit. ❤️ 

I've never liked the ripped denim look and couldn't have pulled it off even when I was 25 and cute but that doesn't matter. What matters is how you feel in them. If you feel confident you will look confident and look great. If you feel self conscious it will also show even if you don't realize it. 

I prefer classic styles not because they're classic but because they go with my personality. I don't like to attract attention so I don't wear clothes that do. I see women my age in clothes that I love the look of but know I couldn't pull off. I don't think it's always a good idea to wear what's in style when you're older but I also don't think anyone should tell you not to. We women should not still be criticizing each other for our style choices. Not this far into the 21st century. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lori D. said:

The "ripped" or "distressed" jeans look is actually not super modern, but is closing in on a 35 years old "style". It's been around in some form or another since the 1980s. So maybe if you really want to be modern -- and even edgy -- NON distressed clothing with even hems (rather than short in one part, long in another) and neckline styles that make sense (rather than one-shouldered or "cold-shouldered") might be the way to go... 😂 

Another vote for wear what you like. 😄 

But also agreeing with posters upthread that personally, to me, purposefully ripped or distressed clothing is just not a "style" that works for anyone, IMO. 😉 The only time it makes sense to me is when it is clear that someone is in the midst of painting or home repairs, is wearing their old clothes, and has to make an emergency trip to Home Depot or the grocery store... 😂

Totally an aside: I actually have hostile feelings towards that style, but esp. towards the designers making oodles of money selling ripped jeans to teens and young people who have never had to work long days at physical labor/construction jobs where jeans make sense and DO get ripped and distressed as a result of hard work. It seems like a smack in the face to real working people to "make trendy" a "look" that is the everyday reality of low-wage laborers who can't always afford to replace clothing damaged from their work. 😩

Plus, like it was mentioned up-thread, that really rubs me the wrong way to take new, undamaged clothing and purposefully damage it to make a "style statement", which also really reduces the longevity of wear. It seems like wanton wastefulness, when there are so many people in need around the world who would be so grateful to have a pair of new, whole pants -- all of their clothing IS ripped and worn and distressed; it's not a choice or "style statement" for them. 😢

I really like the way you explained this from the perspective of workers whose clothing gets damaged as a by product of the industry in which they work. 

Tangentially, yesterday I was talking to Dh, making dinner, when I noticed the sleeve of his sweatshirt was all mangled. I said, “What in the world is happening with your shirt?!” And in his non-chialant manner he says, “Oh. That. I forgot; I caught on fire today.” Ummm...okay. Well, thank the gods you were wearing two shirts!

DD062DA2-F41D-49FD-A073-030CA6072AD3.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Happy Birthday! I'm sure you looked great in that outfit. ❤️ 

I've never liked the ripped denim look and couldn't have pulled it off even when I was 25 and cute but that doesn't matter. What matters is how you feel in them. If you feel confident you will look confident and look great. If you feel self conscious it will also show even if you don't realize it. 

I prefer classic styles not because they're classic but because they go with my personality. I don't like to attract attention so I don't wear clothes that do. I see women my age in clothes that I love the look of but know I couldn't pull off. I don't think it's always a good idea to wear what's in style when you're older but I also don't think anyone should tell you not to. We women should not still be criticizing each other for our style choices. Not this far into the 21st century. 

Thanks!! Classic is relative because fashion rarely favors all body types all the time. If you were a Rubenesque woman in the 60s/70s you’d have looked a hot mess wearing twiggy-inspired A-line dresses. Similarly, 1990s Kate Moss would look ridiculous in a 50s body con dress. I have lots of classic looks but they’re all fit and flare, mermaid and wiggle dresses, pencil skirts, etc. because they don’t hang off my curvy bits and make me look bigger than I am. These are silhouettes designed to flatter bodies like mine. Within those parameters, there’s a lot that’s conservative (which I suspect is how ‘classic’ is being used here) to choose from.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, Quill said:

...Tangentially, yesterday I was talking to Dh, making dinner, when I noticed the sleeve of his sweatshirt was all mangled. I said, “What in the world is happening with your shirt?!” And in his non-chialant manner he says, “Oh. That. I forgot; I caught on fire today.” Ummm...okay. Well, thank the gods you were wearing two shirts!

DD062DA2-F41D-49FD-A073-030CA6072AD3.jpeg

Gah! How terrifying!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mmasc said:

I’d definitely wear those! Very cute and stylish, imho. Loose is in, skinny is on its way out.

How does one find out for sure what style of jean is coming in and going out?  I’d honestly like to know and I can never seem to figure it out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

I am waiting for my 4 year old to grow up. She knows exactly what she likes even now and she will definitely tell me. 

I *love* having my 12-year-old with me when I shop. She is brutally honest (because I want her to be) and has good taste. She's saved me money many times when I was tempted to buy something that was "just okay" and didn't really do anything for me, IYKWIM.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Garga said:

How does one find out for sure what style of jean is coming in and going out?  I’d honestly like to know and I can never seem to figure it out. 

"The Denim Trends that are In and Out for 2021"
"What Jeans Are In Style for 2021?"
"The Best Three 2021 Denim Trends That Will Last More Than One Season"
Elle Magazine/Website: "The Skinny Jean is Dead: The 5 Denim Styles You Need Now"

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Teaching3bears said:

So, how does one wear straight cropped jeans if one lives in a cold climate where the ankle has to be covered with socks to stay warm?  

I wear my straight cropped jeans over booties or tucked into knee high boots. I am scared of cold (anything below 60 degF) and majority of mainstream fashion don’t cater for smaller build adults.  

I agree with those who said wear what you want to wear and like.

Personally, I don't care for ripped jeans. Every once in awhile I see a pair that has a sexy flair and I wish I had the body for them but most just look like trash to me. 

I should buy a couple pairs of nice jeans though. My accidently baggy cargo pants that are two sizes too big leave a lot to be desired. I will never give up my pockets but I could get the proper size.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lori D. said:

😢

I honestly don't get this. I worked construction until too pregnant and I became a stay at home mom. Most of my family works in hard labor jobs from coal miner and gold miner to fisherman and construction. I can't imagine any laborer I know or worked with caring at all whether you wear ripped jeans or not. Some of them probably had wives with purposely ripped jeans. Although, many of us just had regular ol ripped jeans.  

My son sand blasts and pressure washes heavy equipment to get through school. He had Grandma teach him how to patch clothes because honestly, heavy duty clothes for working are probably more expensive than knock off designer stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Garga said:

I think the way you know is this: when everyone, down to the last discount store shopper, has embraced a trend and none of us has the previous style, that style will be out and its opposite will be in. At least, that is how it works in my life. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Teaching3bears said:

So, how does one wear straight cropped jeans if one lives in a cold climate where the ankle has to be covered with socks to stay warm?  

Yeah, thats a trend Im not getting with because a) Im cold if any part of my feet are exposed; and b) my ankles are nothing worth seeing, due to veins and what look like permanent bruises from broken veins. 

I love seeing 90s urban street wear repurposed as ‘new’ and ‘trendy’. Those pictures of skater jeans, tees and crops might as well have been every friend in my crew circa 1995. I never stopped buying slim bootcut jeans either b/c they balance my hips. What is with all the high waists tho? That is a no go for short-waisted ppl. like me. And straight leg jeans only look good on...obv straight legs. Bahhh! It seems my moment in the fashion spotlight is about to end. I may need to stock up on short-/curvy-friendly stuff since I’m about to be out of fashion again. CLEARANCE FOR THE WIN! Lol.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Teaching3bears said:

I’ll say it again..Dr Martens boots. The cure for all fashion ills. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

I love seeing 90s urban street wear repurposed as ‘new’ and ‘trendy’. Those pictures of skater jeans, tees and crops might as well have been every friend in my crew circa 1995. I never stopped buying slim bootcut jeans either b/c they balance my hips. What is with all the high waists tho? That is a no go for short-waisted ppl. like me. And straight leg jeans only look good on...obv straight legs. Bahhh! It seems my moment in the fashion spotlight is about to end. I may need to stock up on short-/curvy-friendly stuff since I’m about to be out of fashion again. CLEARANCE FOR THE WIN! Lol.

LOL, and my  long-waisted daughter is THRILLED that high waist jeans are back! So much easier to fit her.

But that's why fashion trends are so annoying to me. Too bad for you if your body doesn't fit the current trend! (general you there, of course) 

And yes, bootcut jeans are the best.  (says me with my no-waist, apple-shaped body)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Garga said:

I only have one source—Jo-Lynne Shane’s blog. She is a 48-ish fashion blogger who does styles for ‘over 40’. Her blog posts are very informative and she gives specifics like why something looks good/doesn’t. It has helped me a ton. It’s not just ‘Here’s a cute outfit! Buy it!’ type of stuff. Anyway, she had a post a few months back showing the newer style of jeans coming onto the scene. She’s very good about saying you don’t have to chase the trends like a 20-something, but here’s what you might try to look more current/modern at 40/50.

https://jolynneshane.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I asked my 22-year-old the question in the OP.

She said yes, of course you should wear the ripped jeans if you like them! 

Then she went on: "Now Mom, if you got some high-waisted relaxed fit jeans with some small tasteful tears, say here and here (gesturing at spots on my legs), and wore them with a cute sweater and boots, that would be great. If you started wearing skinny jeans with big rips like that pair I have that you hate (big gesture from hip to calf) then I'd be asking some questions."

LOL see why I rely on her to help me shop?

Still shaking my head at "tasteful tears" in clothing.

For reference, I just had my medicare birthday a few weeks ago. 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

34 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

My daughter is 4. She knows exactly how she wants to dress. She is also rapidly approaching the age where she will tell me how to dress I think.

So how do us fashion challenged moms give birth to these fashionable daughters ? Is knowing fashion a gene ? Does it skip a generation ? 😂

Does your DD, mom or grandma have an artist’s eye? I think that helps with food, decor, and clothing. Same, same.

7 hours ago, frogger said:

I honestly don't get this. I worked construction until too pregnant and I became a stay at home mom. Most of my family works in hard labor jobs from coal miner and gold miner to fisherman and construction. I can't imagine any laborer I know or worked with caring at all whether you wear ripped jeans or not. Some of them probably had wives with purposely ripped jeans. Although, many of us just had regular ol ripped jeans.  

My son sand blasts and pressure washes heavy equipment to get through school. He had Grandma teach him how to patch clothes because honestly, heavy duty clothes for working are probably more expensive than knock off designer stuff. 

This part. Strategically distressed clothes have been a thing forever. In 90s Seattle, those wide legged, high waist jean hems were ‘distressed’ simply by walking around town. In the 80s, shredded/slashed oversized tops were ‘cool’. Baggy pants, Doc Martens, and flannels were practically a uniform. If you observe long enough, you’ll see your silhouettes start to reappear every 30-40 years. If your unlucky, you go custom 😂. My mom and grandma made my ‘wedding’ dress from a 50s ball gown pattern. Even the hair styles are back. I’ve seen a bunch of kids wearing Kid N’Play anD Aaliyah hair do’s. I even saw a teen a couple years back happily wearing a Bobbie Brown Gumby cut. SMH. A friend of mine just let her 6yo cut adopt a totally emo hair style. Nothing is new.

Edited by Sneezyone

I'm in the wear what you want category. I follow the 40+ style page, although her style is more fashion forward than I am personally. IMO, she does a good job of being fashionable but mature without looking old. I own ripped jeans - just the knees - but rarely wear them as I'm not a huge fan of jeans. My boyfriend has jeans with the knees ripped simply because he's worn them out. He just doesn't wear them to work anymore.

Of course, as I type this, I am garbed in a medieval gown because it's gloomy here today and felt like a nice medieval day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am the wear what you want camp.  YOLO.    If YOU like it, that is all that matters.   I don't want my jeans ripped and I wouldn't go out and buy them.  I think I might have a pair or two with small holes like that because my cousin cleaned out her closet and gave them to me. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

I have a pair of jeans with holes on both knees (made that way), high waisted, soft and comfortable, but I’m not a spring chicken, and I have a teen daughter who could wear this but is “so over the ripped look.”

Ripped jeans at any age are tacky. Sorry. How they became fashionable is beyond me.

37 minutes ago, elegantlion said:

I'm in the wear what you want category. I follow the 40+ style page, although her style is more fashion forward than I am personally. IMO, she does a good job of being fashionable but mature without looking old. I own ripped jeans - just the knees - but rarely wear them as I'm not a huge fan of jeans. My boyfriend has jeans with the knees ripped simply because he's worn them out. He just doesn't wear them to work anymore.

Of course, as I type this, I am garbed in a medieval gown because it's gloomy here today and felt like a nice medieval day. 

This. People that have the mental energy to worry and judge what other people wear have way more mental space than I do right now. On the list of things to worry about this doesn't make the list. I turn 42 this year. I bought some boyfriend cut jeans with rips a few years back that are super comfy but they are too big on me now. I need some updated jeans. I won't go looking for ones with rips but if I happen to find some I like might buy some. IDK. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Soror said:

This. People that have the mental energy to worry and judge what other people wear have way more mental space than I do right now. On the list of things to worry about this doesn't make the list. I turn 42 this year. I bought some boyfriend cut jeans with rips a few years back that are super comfy but they are too big on me now. I need some updated jeans. I won't go looking for ones with rips but if I happen to find some I like might buy some. IDK. 

The thing is, it’s not really mental energy if you’re fashion inclined. It’s just the way my brain works. It’s not like I’m judging to think I’m superior & you’re inferior, but I definitely have thoughts like, “She’d look 15 years younger if she’d change her eyebrow shape,” or, “Wow!  The weather girl looks great in that orangey red compared to that awful pink she was wearing yesterday. It’s rare for a blonde to look so bad in pink. I wonder if her hair is naturally very dark.”

• Like 4