Menu

House Shoes

hippymamato3

Regular shoes here.  We leave any shoes that have been outside or out of the house by the door, and just wear normal shoes that mostly stay inside.

Used to go barefoot, but weird toe issues mean I wear either birks or a very specific type of running shoe.  

Kids wear slippers or socks.

• Like 1

I buy regular shoes for in the house, but make sure they have good support and are soft to walk on. No hard shoes that hurt. I find shoes that are more comfortable to wear than being barefoot. 

Find him a pair of good indoor shoes he can wear that will support his feet well.

• Like 1

I've done B&B's with no shoes policies.  they had a basket of slippers in different sizes for people to wear.  the slippers are only in the house - so they're not tracking dirt/etc.

I have a pair of old sheepskin slippers handy by my garage door so if I have to go in there - I have something warm for my feet.  I have newer sheepskin slippers (costco gets them in around aug/sept for about $20-$25.  heck of a deal for real sheepskin.)  for wearing around the house.  I also have some "ballet-shoe-style" non-slip socks  (I have hardwoods - socks and hardwoods are a good mix for sliding.  Not such a good thing on stairs.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hippymamato3 said:

If you have a "no shoes in the house" policy, does everyone just go barefoot? If not, what do you wear? DH doesn't like to be barefoot and I'm looking for suggestions for him, but also for kids or me (I usually wear flip flops in the house but they are kinda cold.) Thank you!

If this is only about not tracking in outside dirt, and for some reason neither slippers nor socks is an option (I guess?) then it seems the easiest thing is for him to pick out his most comfortable style of shoe, buy an extra pair, and have those as inside-only shoes.

• Like 1

DS goes barefoot, DH wears crocs and I wear Vionics  Mary Janes. I’ve had them for years and they desperately need replacing; I’m watching this thread for ideas. No slippers or anything warm for me—I’m chronically too hot as it is— but I do need support.

• Like 1

Husband: slippers; grown kids when visiting: barefoot, socks or fuzzy socks; me: used to be barefoot or fuzzy socks, but I have fat pad atrophy, so now I wear crocks with insoles (with or without socks, depending on the season) or running shoes with insoles (only worn in the house) if I am going to be on my feet cooking/cleaning, etc. most of the day.

My crocs are old and have worn unevenly on the bottom, so I am glad to see the suggestions on this thread...off to investigate Birks and Vivonic...

I have house shoes...I have foot issues and need structure and support. Currently I am wearing Olukai house slippers (fuzzy moccasins) but in non-winter I wear either Vionic flip flops or Vionic ballet slippers. 

Most everyone else goes barefoot in the house. Most of them own slipper scuffs or house moccasins but choose not to wear them.

House shoes are not worn outdoors (Outside shoes bring in grit, dirt, and harmful chemicals like pesticides.) Most of my friends have no-shoes policies. I tuck my Vionic Tide 2s into my bag to wear at their houses when I visit. Some have baskets of socks for others. Everybody just kind of remembers house policies after the first visit, iykwim. 

There's also the OCD option of wiping your shoe bottoms when you come in. :biggrin: No seriously, I'm normally barefoot with occasional forays into slippers, but after running on the beach barefoot several miles (yes that was me) my feet really needed SHOES. And not my normal thin zero drop shoes but a thick soled recovery zero drop. Sigh. Otherwise, couldn't even stand to walk my feet hurt so bad. So now I wear them to the store, wipe wipe, wear them in the house. 

My dh wears house shoes. His are loafers with inserts put in. He always wears them because if he doesn't his feet hurt. He used to wear slippers.

I think wear what fits your climate and style. My ds got me some MukLuk slipper socks for Christmas and they're WONDERFUL, so warm and soft, with grippers so I don't go flying down the stairs.

21 hours ago, iamonlyone said:

Does anyone have something they like that is easy to slip on, has a back strap (like crocs), but is more supportive than crocs (especially metatarsal support)? I tend to run up and down stairs, and I need something that will stay on my feet!

Maybe you should look into zero drop shoes? Maybe you're needing something really different from what you've tried before... Zero drop kinda feel like being barefoot, because you're so connected and stable. I wear Altra, and they have different kinds. They probably have a slip on. There are several brands of zero drop, depending on your needs. My dd wears these cute wrap shoes that she found on amazon. 

• Thanks 1

For years, my normal inside ‘slippers’ were a favorite pair of flip flops. I needed something new this summer, so I kind of randomly tried these and I love them! They’re more cushiony than my flip flops, (but not too cushiony bc I don’t like that!), and I can wear socks with them if my feet are cold or I’m slipping off boots from being outside and have socks on already. 

On 12/29/2020 at 7:10 PM, hippymamato3 said:

If you have a "no shoes in the house" policy, does everyone just go barefoot? 

Bedroom slippers are allowed by my parents and in-laws. Guests usually just leave their socks on. The rule is so that we don't track dirt into the house. My bedroom slipper is a Columbia fleece lined clog for cold weather.