Menu

People expect ME to bake CUPCAKES for aaaallllll their little crumb-fingered kids!

Ginevra

You know what really sticks in my craw? When I get these e-mails from homeschool co-op, saying if I’m going to send MY kid with a cupcake for his birthday, I have to make 46 cupcakes for the OTHER kids! I think this is totally ridiculous and completely unfair! Why can’t other people bake their own stinking cupcakes for their own little snot-nosed kids?! 

*I’m totally kidding. This is a walk down memory lane a là @Terabith‘s posts. Although this post would take on some veneer of sensibility in a pandemic. But not so much the rest of the time. 🧁

Edited by Quill
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 34

41 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I can’t believe you would POISON children with cupcakes! What kind of terrible mother are you???

Next thing you know, someone will post that they let their kids drink SODA. 

😉

I am on Team Cupcake! I don't care what anyone thinks about me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

What only 46?  I always make enough for all the kids their whole families.  Not to mention all the kids at gymnastics that night not just her team but the entire gym.  Yes it's a few hundred cupcakes but it's the right thing to do so no one ever feels left out. 😉

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 15

15 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Ok seriously, was that how that whole thread started? Because a parent couldn’t pack one cupcake in their own child’s lunch on that child’s birthday?

I always thought it was because someone was sick and tired of their kid being stuffed with the never-ending cupcakes-for-everyone!

The original thread from 2012 disappeared when there was the big copyright infringement issue — I think it was because there were a ton of kilt pictures in that thread. 

I wish that thread was still around, because it was hilarious — and the tags were almost as good as the posts!

• Like 9

First off, you don't need to take emails, directions, rules, suggestions, or dress codes from a co-op seriously. No one else does. Like h*ll I'm going to the park in September and NOT be wearing a bikini, and like where do they get off telling me that I can't bring my kids if they have 105 fever and sentient snot?? It's good for their kids' immune system to be exposed to this type of stuff, how ungrateful. 

Second, no one said how BIG the cupcakes need to be. I personally use thimbles since they are both portion-friendly AND party favors all in one.

Bonus: moms will thank you because their kids won't be over-sugared, AND the moms can stay on their diet and eat the cupcakes too.*

*BTW, you need to bake 103 cupcakes now, moms are people too, ya'know.

I've always gotten around this by hosting a cupcake-making party and I ONLY ask that they show up on time and with their ingredients besides the standard birthday present and $5 for my expenses. Reject any latecomers at the door; we're homeschoolers, so you know you won't have more than 2 people show even if the whole co-op signed up.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 16

Get your decorating supplies and make the cupcake...sandwich shaped, chicken leg shaped, hamburger shaped (ala bento art) what ever looks yummy! LOL That way you can send your kid with just cupcakes for an entire year and no one can say anything. Haha.  Seriously, nutella on white bread isn't any healthier and people call that food.  LOL (ducking and running)

That cupcake thread was one of the topics that make me thankful for the politics bans. If we can't even talk about cupcakes......

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, rebcoola said:

What only 46?  I always make enough for all the kids their whole families.  Not to mention all the kids at gymnastics that night not just her team but the entire gym.  Yes it's a few hundred cupcakes but it's the right thing to do so no one ever feels left out. 😉

Ahem. Aren't you forgetting someone? Shouldn't you also make enough cupcakes to donate to the senior center, homeless shelter, battered women's shelter, fire and police department? I mean, how could you be so self absorbed! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Catwoman said:

A little off-topic, but we used to have the best trolls back then, too!  Does anyone else remember Carol from IL? 

Carol from IL was my favorite troll EVER! Wasn't she the one who was asking our opinions on whether she should trade in her van for a golf cart so she could drive her kids around with less expense and no insurance? And her neighbor hired her to clean her house wearing a French maid outfit?

Who would have thought she'd be remembered so fondly! She and her pastor would have a heyday with COVID and masks.

Thanks for the stroll down Memory Lane, Quill! And now I am craving cupcakes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

7 hours ago, Seasider too said:

Ok seriously, was that how that whole thread started? Because a parent couldn’t pack one cupcake in their own child’s lunch on that child’s birthday?

I always thought it was because someone was sick and tired of their kid being stuffed with the never-ending cupcakes-for-everyone!

Well, I have gone hyperbolic, and I don’t remember exactly what her beef was about the cupcakes, but it was pretty close to that. It *may* have been that she didn’t want her kid to eat other people’s cupcakes because other people fed their kids sugar or something, but not her. 

I just remember there was definitely “sticks in my craw” as part of the indictment. Whatever her issue was, it was sticking in her craw. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, PinkTulip said:

It’s the “sticks in my craw” part that made me literally laugh out loud!

Ahhh, those were the days! 😂

Remember the tags? One tag was “Cupcakes in my craw”. 😄

• Haha 6

25 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

was she the one who claimed to have 20 or so kids and a house with a bedroom for each of them on a lake?

Remember the names and birthdays of the kids and grandkids in her signature line? It was like,

”LiberteeJustysse, 7-4-97”

”Mary Kristen, 12-26-98”

etc. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tiberia said:

Carol from IL was my favorite troll EVER! Wasn't she the one who was asking our opinions on whether she should trade in her van for a golf cart so she could drive her kids around with less expense and no insurance? And her neighbor hired her to clean her house wearing a French maid outfit?

Who would have thought she'd be remembered so fondly! She and her pastor would have a heyday with COVID and masks.

Actually, I seem to remember a prescient notion about using her van like a taxi during the day. She was way ahead of Uber and Lyft...

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Quill said:

Well, I have gone hyperbolic, and I don’t remember exactly what her beef was about the cupcakes, but it was pretty close to that. It *may* have been that she didn’t want her kid to eat other people’s cupcakes because other people fed their kids sugar or something, but not her. 

I just remember there was definitely “sticks in my craw” as part of the indictment. Whatever her issue was, it was sticking in her craw. 

I think it was that another mom who was a teacher broke the rules by bringing cupcakes for her kids, when other parents were told not to do that.

I might have been the person who complained about the sugar.  At the time, my kid was being disciplined in school for having a sugar high brought on by crap the teachers fed her.  😛  I may have lightened up a bit since then.

I had so much fun with that thread.  We were writing poems and everything.  So many new and innovative cupcake designs.  I was so sad that it was deleted. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, SKL said:

I think it was that another mom who was a teacher broke the rules by bringing cupcakes for her kids, when other parents were told not to do that.

I might have been the person who complained about the sugar.  At the time, my kid was being disciplined in school for having a sugar high brought on by crap the teachers fed her.  😛  I may have lightened up a bit since then.

I had so much fun with that thread.  We were writing poems and everything.  So many new and innovative cupcake designs.  I was so sad that it was deleted. 

Yes, my memory is fuzzy for sure but what I do remember was to the effect of anger that some mom did bring cupcakes. Something about having to celebrate the little snowflake that had a mom that insisted on bringing cupcakes? Not sure I just think the issue was the mom did not like someone bringing cupcakes or thinking their child was so special as to warrant cupcakes. ??

• Like 2

Why don't we have threads like that anymore?? So fun. IIRC, she was upset that some other mother was bringing cupcakes but I don't remember why. Was it the sugar, or was the other mom breaking a rule? 

Her name was Paige something, and she didn't come back to that thread for a very long time. She had no idea how popular it had become. 

• Like 3

OK, I remember the initial poster as be seriously upset because the school her kid went to had rules about birthday treats......so cupcakes.  No one followed the rules ...........I think sugar was part of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mumto2 said:

OK, I remember the initial poster as be seriously upset because the school her kid went to had rules about birthday treats......so cupcakes.  No one followed the rules ...........I think sugar was part of it.

Yeah, I do think sugar was part of it. 

• Like 1

Do you all remember the homemade cereal thread? It was right around the same time as the cupcakes thread, I think. It was either by the same poster or someone with a similar food philosophy. She confessed to anger at her child because she had just finished making pans of homemade, sugar-free cereal and her kid tipped the pan and spilled it all over the floor. 

I don’t think that thread got a super-lot of traction. But some people were certainly wondering why anyone would make cereal for hours. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Quill said:

Do you all remember the homemade cereal thread? It was right around the same time as the cupcakes thread, I think. It was either by the same poster or someone with a similar food philosophy. She confessed to anger at her child because she had just finished making pans of homemade, sugar-free cereal and her kid tipped the pan and spilled it all over the floor. 

I don’t think that thread got a super-lot of traction. But some people were certainly wondering why anyone would make cereal for hours. 

I do remember! Trying to remember the poster's name. She spent like four hours making homemade cereal. Wait, wasn't she the one who either started, or commented on another thread, about men breastfeeding? 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, PrairieSong said:

I do remember! Trying to remember the poster's name. She spent like four hours making homemade cereal. Wait, wasn't she the one who either started, or commented on another thread, about men breastfeeding? 

Lol, I don’t remember that. I *do* remember a blow-out post about male bfing in That Other Crunchy Board I used to frequent. One poster compared it to p3nis-envy, but in the reverse! 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Quill said:

I thought she was mad because her kids ate the homemade cereal so fast.  Could be having thread merge though ....

18 minutes ago, SKL said:

I thought she was mad because her kids ate the homemade cereal so fast.  Could be having thread merge though ....

Hmm...maybe? I have forgotten. But I thought I remembered it as her kid was trying to immediately get some and tipped over the pan. And she had literally spent hours making this cereal. 

17 minutes ago, Quill said:

Hmm...maybe? I have forgotten. But I thought I remembered it as her kid was trying to immediately get some and tipped over the pan. And she had literally spent hours making this cereal. 

There was a time when I tried my hand at making homemade granola.  I was shocked at how little a recipe actually made! 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Quill said:

You know what really sticks in my craw? When I get these e-mails from homeschool co-op, saying if I’m going to send MY kid with a cupcake for his birthday, I have to make 46 cupcakes for the OTHER kids! I think this is totally ridiculous and completely unfair! Why can’t other people bake their own stinking cupcakes for their own little snot-nosed kids?! 

*I’m totally kidding. This is a walk down memory lane a là @Terabith‘s posts. Although this post would take on some veneer of sensibility in a pandemic. But not so much the rest of the time. 🧁

Man you had me so confused.  LOL

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

There was a time when I tried my hand at making homemade granola.  I was shocked at how little a recipe actually made! 

That’s what happened to me when I tried using a juicer. 47 carrots later, I had a shot glass of carrot juice and a mountain of pulp. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

21 hours ago, Seasider too said:

I remember it as her being mad because someone brought cupcakes when they technically weren’t supposed to. That was the funniest thread. There was a whole side-tangent about bacon that had me laughing until I cried. I think my siggy still says Team Cupcake (I’m on mobile, can’t see it right now). 

18 hours ago, Tiberia said:

I think she was going to rent her car out for the neighbor to use as a taxi. This was pre-Uber. At the time it seemed insane 🤪

• Like 3

4 hours ago, elegantlion said:

Can we bake the cupcakes in a crock pot? Or maybe that's where you're supposed to do brownies. 

Et voilà - crock pot cupcakes courtesy of "Moms With Crockpots"!

https://momswithcrockpots.com/crockpot-peanut-butter-cup-cake/

But I'm confused...  How is this a cupcake?  Isn't it just a cake?  Baked in a crockpot?  And what's the difference between cupcakes and muffins anyway? 😉 😜  (Wasn't there arguments about cupcakes vs. muffins on that thread, too, or am I remembering a different thread?)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dicentra said:

Et voilà - crock pot cupcakes courtesy of "Moms With Crockpots"!

https://momswithcrockpots.com/crockpot-peanut-butter-cup-cake/

But I'm confused...  How is this a cupcake?  Isn't it just a cake?  Baked in a crockpot?  And what's the difference between cupcakes and muffins anyway? 😉 😜  (Wasn't there arguments about cupcakes vs. muffins on that thread, too, or am I remembering a different thread?)

I don’t think this cupcake would have pleased that OP requirements! 😂  Nuts.......

that said it’s a cake in my humble opinion.......I think it’s a peanut butter cup (type of) cake like chocolate cake.

• Like 1

One of my favorite images from around page 12? 13? of that thread https://www.flickr.com/photos/josh1/2530420210/

I would love to go back now and reread the whole thing from beginning to end. For a whole weekend, I was checking the board every 5 minutes to see what had happened next. My family thought I had lost it! Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Quill. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/7/2020 at 11:05 AM, PrairieSong said:

Why don't we have threads like that anymore?? So fun. IIRC, she was upset that some other mother was bringing cupcakes but I don't remember why. Was it the sugar, or was the other mom breaking a rule? 

Her name was Paige something, and she didn't come back to that thread for a very long time. She had no idea how popular it had become. 

@Paige is still here! She was incredibly good-natured about that thread!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, I talk to the trees said:

One of my favorite images from around page 12? 13? of that thread https://www.flickr.com/photos/josh1/2530420210/

I would love to go back now and reread the whole thing from beginning to end. For a whole weekend, I was checking the board every 5 minutes to see what had happened next. My family thought I had lost it! Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Quill. 

I wish that thread hadn’t been deleted. For a few years afterward, we celebrated its anniversary! 

I was doing a bit of Christmas shopping just now, and stumbled across what I believe should be the official mask for the hive. Feel free to disregard this post if you are neither Team Cupcake nor Team Mask. I might just order one of these for myself, because I am firm members of both teams. 

https://mechanicalgifs.com/maribels-masks/cupcakes-face-masks

• Like 3