Menu

Canned food limits, again

saraha

Stopped in the Save a Lot this morning after dropping off kiddo at work. The employees were hanging signs all over the canned food aisles about limits. I was kind of surprised since we haven't had anything like that since April. Went down all the aisles but the signs were only in the canned food. When I told the cashier I noticed the new signs and asked what she knew that I didn't know (I see her multiple times a week, so we are friendly) she replied "Beats me, came down from corporate. But the higher ups probably know way more than us normal people."

Anybody seeing new restrictions?

My sister just told me this past weekend that Aldi had finally removed the 4 can limit so she was finally able to stock up on mandarin oranges so she was quite happy.  There is only a couple of things I buy in cans so I haven't looked at any of it recently.  I'm going to Aldi today (I live in a different city from my sister), I'll have to see if ours are still up.

The US actually is importing recyclable aluminum for processing here right now. Part of the aluminum shortage is market shift of demand.

You can google and read commodities reports. I usually pick the ones related to pharmaceuticals and key metals used in a variety of industries. Steel is used in construction, appliances, etc as well as higher end food products.  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Michelle Conde said:

Our paper goods and cleaning supplies are short again.  I was wondering if people are predicting problems when the Senate votes on the new Supreme Court justice.

What do you think Supreme Court justices have to do with paper products and household cleaners? Honestly curious.

At any rate, those have been in short supply and rationed here since March. I have not seen any canned food rations in my area but I don’t get out much so it’s possible I’ve missed it.

28 minutes ago, MEmama said:

What do you think Supreme Court justices have to do with paper products and household cleaners? Honestly curious.

At any rate, those have been in short supply and rationed here since March. I have not seen any canned food rations in my area but I don’t get out much so it’s possible I’ve missed it.

Some people I know have expressed concern (or read of concerns) that there will be a lot of unrest if there is a nomination to the Supreme Court before the election. The election itself, too, is worrying some people.  So if people are worried about societal disruption, it would be reasonable to stock up on necessities to avoid having to go out. 

We were in Costco today; there were no limits on canned goods (or anything else) here in SE PA. I admit I bought some extra canned beans and tomatoes based on this thread. And extra coffee, even though that's not canned.  🙂

• Like 3

We don't have signs limiting purchases (except in the cleaning aisle). But I'm having trouble finding napkins. Paper towels and toilet paper look scarce on the shelves again, with a lot of off brands represented, instead of name brands. I have enough TP and paper towels now, but if I didn't, I would be having to hunt for them. I did see some store brand cleaning wipes a week or two ago, and I snagged the allowed one canister; haven't seen them since, and that was the first time in months that they've been there at all. The entire shelf where cleaning sprays should be has been empty at the store for months; fortunately, I have not needed to replenish mine, because we got two big jugs from Costco sometime this summer.

The canned tomato section is only partly filled at the store, so I am getting a few cans of the kinds that I use, every time I shop. Sometimes what I like is not there. After I read here about pumpkin shortages, I looked this week for canned pumpkin in my grocery and couldn't find any. I have one can in my pantry, and I guess I will save it to use closer to Thanksgiving, if I can't get more before then.

Pop in cans has also been hard to find, for specific products. For awhile I could get Diet Coke but not Coke Zero (which I prefer). Now Coke Zero seems to be back, but I don't know if it will stay in stock.

Yeast can be found at my store now, but not much is on the shelf, and there is a limit of one. Meat and poultry is available now, but prices are higher.

So things are not how they looked last spring, but they are not completely normal, either. I am trying to stay well stocked on things that I use often, in case I can't get them later this fall.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, marbel said:

Some people I know have expressed concern (or read of concerns) that there will be a lot of unrest if there is a nomination to the Supreme Court before the election. The election itself, too, is worrying some people.  So if people are worried about societal disruption, it would be reasonable to stock up on necessities to avoid having to go out. 

We were in Costco today; there were no limits on canned goods (or anything else) here in SE PA. I admit I bought some extra canned beans and tomatoes based on this thread. And extra coffee, even though that's not canned.  🙂

Oh yeah, the entire world is rightfully worried about our state of affairs.

It wouldn’t have occured to me that today’s political climate might be yet another reason to be worried about tissues and dish soap, but it makes sense that some people would be justifiably worried about going out during riots and the like. 

• Like 3

When I was at Aldi last week, I heard the cashier repeatedly apologizing to people about limits, but I didn’t notice any signs and I apparently didn’t buy anything that was limited.

I went to Target for the first time since Christmas, and only noticed limits on TP and paper towels, which seems to be the same at all stores in our area. I did grab some, but I’m a bit annoyed that they were only carrying giant rolls of toilet paper that don’t fit in my toilet paper stand. 😛 

I was just in Aldi on Tuesday and bought a 12-pack of canned pumpkin. I had no idea there were limits, but there must not be on this (or maybe just not here?) because nothing was said. (I’m not stocking up—I’ll use those all in the next couple of weeks at least.)

I do think they still have a limit there on toilet paper and paper towels, though. 

Paper towels, especially the cheap ones, are missing from the shelves. TP is stocked high here.

Cleaning wipes are still scarce. If you get there early on a day the truck has some, you can snag a can or two. That's happened exactly once since March for me.

I haven't seen canned goods limited here (mid-America) but we can't find a certain canned soup anywhere online or in person (Campbell's Fiesta Nacho Cheese).

Going to check on canned pumpkin when I hit the store later this week. We certainly have enough tomatoes on the vines... If we have more after DH is done making salsa, I'll have to suggest he can some tomato chunks for me. ;)

Went shopping this afternoon and my Aldi still has limits.  My sister is only 35 minutes away so it's interesting that she doesn't.  Our Costco still has limits on toilet paper, rice, flour and sugar.  Of note was that they didn't have any big bags of sugar.  I usually buy the 25 or 50 pound bags but they were out of both.  Only had 10 pounds, I've never seen that before even in the spring. 

7 hours ago, Michelle Conde said:

Our paper goods and cleaning supplies are short again.  I was wondering if people are predicting problems when the Senate votes on the new Supreme Court justice.

We never got them totally back in stock - it was such hit or miss.

Although I only buy it in BJs, may be regular grocery stores had it, I don't know

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Paper towels and cleaning supplies haven't been fully stocked here since February. The aisles are really sparse. In addition to tomatoes and pumpkins, I've been having problems finding canned green chilies.

Yes, to the chiles! My grocery orders have been hit or miss, usually with a substitute brand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

Paper towels and cleaning supplies haven't been fully stocked here since February. The aisles are really sparse. In addition to tomatoes and pumpkins, I've been having problems finding canned green chilies.

Yes! I have a few recipes I love that call for them, and fresh are not a good substitute. There were only a few cans at my grocery store the other day. 

I also have not seen disinfectant wipes since March. And I go out pretty regularly, and  try to do pickup as well. But they are never in store or available for pickup anywhere. 

I did notice that Costco did not have their usual pack of large cans of pumpkin. I think I have 3 15-oz cans right now, that is not enough to get me through fall and winter. I just checked Vitacost (I don't usually buy it there but thought I'd take a look) - "temporarily unavailable."

Crazy. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Toilet cleaner has been iffy of late; today that portion of the shelves was empty. But the college students just moved in so I'm blaming them.

I’ve only seen it stocked on shelves here once since spring. Occasionally I see a couple bottles of an off brand but the kinds with bleach are usually missing entirely. 

• Like 1

I wish that I could send you all wipes and cleaners! Our Save a lot has a giant cardboard gaylord full of off brand sanitizing wipes! They also have a ton of off brand hand sanitizer. I haven't had any trouble finding cleaners in the last month, But no tomato paste or tomato soup.

11 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

Anyone know where to buy canned enchilada sauce? That is something I haven't seen since February and I'd love a good pan of enchiladas.

If you don’t mind making your own and can find tomato sauce and chopped green chilies this recipe is very good.  Add a pinch of cayenne if you like it spicy.  

https://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/homemade-enchilada-sauce/

11 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

Anyone know where to buy canned enchilada sauce? That is something I haven't seen since February and I'd love a good pan of enchiladas.

We haven’t had shortages here. Have you tried Whole Foods? Their house brand is my go to. And you can order online (Amazon) and get it delivered if you have Prime! 🙂 

I expect severe shortages this winter. So far, stocking up has been impossible and unsafe: with my recent cross-country move, living in an apartment that is infested with cockroaches and the SCORPIONS, and the food shipped into the area was exposed recently 115 degree temperatures. Yesterday, I finally got my August Covid-supplement on my food stamp card and this is the very first time I can consider stocking up, instead of just trying to survive the month. I bought a box of 4 chocolate Ice cream cones at inflated prices and ran home with it before it melted and shared it with my neighbors. We had our treat. Now it is time to get serious about how I spend this.

Temperatures are still above 100 degrees every day, and the shelves still contain food exposed to worse. I need to be smart. I was not here last April, but I have heard that the stores were more bare than the Covid-hotspot I was living in at the time. Fear cleared the shelves faster than reality, I guess.

I think I need to ration and sit on this money a little and then be ready to act. I am still on foot, and canned goods are cheapest a mile away. I am going to get my exercise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, saraha said:

But no tomato paste or tomato soup.

I usually use spaghetti sauce instead of tomato paste for cooking but I did buy De Rica Premium Double Concentrated Tomato Paste from Grocery Outlet in case I want to use them. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N8Q6KXZ

They also have Pomi Tomato Sauce, 17.64 Ounce at Safeway and Grocery Outlet but I didn’t buy this time.

https://www.amazon.com/Pomi-Tomato-Sauce-17-64-Ounce/dp/B00D9BXEVY

• Like 1

I was at Costco yesterday and found canned tomato sauce and canned crushed tomatoes, so I got a crate of each. They also had TP, paper towels, and napkins, and I got one of each. No canned fruit to be found there (I need canned fruit to give to a church food drive) and no canned pumpkin.

I was at the grocery today and scored Lysol spray and wipes (one of each). Was tempted to go back later today or send DH, but I didn't and probably missed my chance to get more. I am spraying the kids' backpacks each day after school, so the Lysol spray was a big deal, and I would like to have more. I don't use wipes a lot, but the teachers have asked for them. I have a few canisters I could donate, but I'm not sure how to get them to the teachers yet. I did find canned fruit at the grocery, though the shelf was not fully stocked.

I also saw plenty of yeast at the grocery today. I didn't buy any but might the next time I go.

I saw one brand name pack of TP at the grocery, among all of the off brand packages. Which was odd and caught my eye, but I left it to be a nice surprise for someone else.

FYI For anyone looking for Lysol, I just bought a *144* oz jug for ~$8.00 at Lowe’s. Their cleaning aisle was fully stocked—windex, toilet bowl cleaner...all kinds of stuff I don’t see much of locally. 

Honestly I have no use for 144 ounces of Lysol, but at least I’ll be able to supply friends and neighbors! Lol

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MEmama said:

FYI For anyone looking for Lysol, I just bought a *144* oz jug for ~$8.00 at Lowe’s. Their cleaning aisle was fully stocked—windex, toilet bowl cleaner...all kinds of stuff I don’t see much of locally. 

Honestly I have no use for 144 ounces of Lysol, but at least I’ll be able to supply friends and neighbors! Lol

I have never seen lysol that big.  Wow.  Is it to refill other ones? 

19 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I have never seen lysol that big.  Wow.  Is it to refill other ones? 

Yes. The container is ridiculously enormous. 

My theory is the big box hardware stores have different supply chains than Target, etc, since they sell to contractors. I’ve noticed they frequently have tp and other in demand items even when the regular shops do not.  

• Like 3

I bought one of those big 144oz Lysol containers and thought "Well, we're set for a year". 

No limits on canned goods at HEB near San Antonio.  The only limits I am seeing are on disinfecting wipes, cleaning sprays, and disinfecting aerosol sprays.  Those products always sell out quickly, but if you show up either late at night or early in the am, you can get them.  Diet sodas have been iffy for stock levels.  Apparently, they have a double whammy of sweetener shortage plus aluminum shortage. 

Everything seemed decently stocked for 8pm on a Friday night. 

One shortage that surprised me: craft paints. I went to Hobby Lobby last week and there were almost NO craft paints or paint brushes.