Menu

help me find christian music

ktgrok

hmm.....everything I like is old stuff, and more....songs....than praise music. 

Some ideas....

Rich Mullins
Andrew Peterson
some Michael Card

more praise-ish....

Switchfoot
some 3rd Day, but they are slower

You could go really old school with Newsboys, Chris Tomlin.....

I have no idea if that's helpful or not. I tend to like songs vs praise music, if that makes sense....

• Like 2

Here’s my signal to start school playlist, it’s really upbeat. 
Happy Dance, Mercy Me

joy, for King and Country 

Move (Keep Walking), Toby Mac

All the People Said Amen, Matt Maher

Edited by Rachel
Removed pic in case it violated copyright
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

We like Toby Mac, For King and Country.....I like Mandisa a lot. I'll try to think of others. 

These are our top favorites, as well. 

I also really enjoy I Am They. They have a folksy, old-school kind of sound (if anyone remembers Caedmon's Call, they remind me of them.)

• Like 2

A lot of newer music strikes me as very bland if you take away instruments--almost like it has no melody, so I am not up on the latest stuff (a friend who is a musician said I'm not imagining this, lol!). 

I know next to nothing about the Getty's or about Sovereign Grace worship music, but the few songs I know by either of them are very singable, which I love. My DH and kids like Lauren Daigle too (I might--I don't know who sings what anymore).

Other than my old music, which is not really praise and worship, this is what my family likes: https://www.seedsfamilyworship.com/   You can listen to samples online. It's all Bible verses set to music. I don't usually like that kind of thing, but I do like these albums, and so do my kids and DH, the three of whom are very musical (like perfect pitch, play multiple instruments, sing in choirs kind of musical).

• Like 1

Just now, Arctic Mama said:

@kbutton We really like Seeds here too, though I find they get stuck in my head really badly (which isn’t a bad thing except for the repetition when I’m trying to fall asleep 😆)

They have that potential, but I have that problem with any music, lol! I have more trouble when I hear a verse at church that is one of the songs--then I have to sing it in my head to move on to whatever else is being said. Oops. 

Along the Christian more pop artists, you might want to try Phil Wickham as well. If you like a little more rock, then Fee or Manic Drive might be worth a look into.

With Christmas coming soon, I want to plug one of my favorite singers(but he has more mellow song)-Chris Rice. His voice is wonderful and effortless sounding. And he has my most favorite Christmas song-Welcome to Our World.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

Personally I think for housecleaning, what you want is gospel.  I like Mahalia Jackson, Sister Rosetta, the Soul Stirrers, Sam Cooke has some great gospel songs as does Johnny Cash.  

You don't find this playlist depressing? Maybe I'm biased b/c my grandma always played these when she was in a foul mood. She didn't like cleaning. LOL.

• Like 1

I would go to Pandora, type in the name of your favorite group or song, and create a new station from that.  Then the important rule is NEVER like ANYTHING.  Just dislike the ones you don't like.  Pandora will keep playing new options for you but not get stuck replaying the same 12 songs you liked over and over.

• Like 4

Lots of good suggestions here. We love the Gettys! And Chris Rice. Ds loves Sara Groves. I like some Sovereign Grace music too. Their version of The Deep, Deep Love of Jesus is lovely. 

I do like playlists of gospel songs from "real" musicians. Some Christian pop music is not very good...

@Arctic Mama I will be checking out the TG4 collections. 

23 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I want some upbeat praise music that isn't horribly sappy, and well sung. This is for cleaning the house, having in the background, etc. Any thoughts? I'm totally inept when it comes to this, other than the kids' VBS cd's, lol. I want a grown up version!

How "upbeat" do you want? What is an example of "sappy?" Are there any topics you want to avoid, for example MercyMe always seems to sing about death and what's coming after. 😉  It just gets to me after a while, and I'm feeling old. 

I find that music from non-American artists tends to be more interesting, varied and complex. I could be completely biased, though. I'm tired of songs that have 3 different notes in the melody line to go along with the 3 - 4 basic chords. 😄  This could be more in the Praise&Worship category, too.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

I like Amazon's Top Christian-- I have an Echo and a sub-woofer in my kitchen area... I play music ALL. THE. TIME (when I'm not teaching!).  

If you find a song you like you can go to Amazon Music and check out the artist's other works and start building a custom playlist.

I found my favorite energizing song-- Switchfoot's Native Tongue on Top Christian....

• Like 1

I love the Gettys. They have a strong connection to my previous church, so we sang their music weekly during worship, and I've seen them several times live. I also love Fernando Ortega.

I don't have music playing often in the house or car, because I am more of a talk radio person. I like individual songs that I hear on Christian radio, but I don't generally form attachments to particular groups. But I do love the above artists.

As a side note, anyone who likes MercyMe should watch the movie I Can Only Imagine. Actually, everyone should watch it (warning -- it's about a turbulent father-son relationship that includes some abuse, but it is uplifting in the end). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I find that music from non-American artists tends to be more interesting, varied and complex. I could be completely biased, though. I'm tired of songs that have 3 different notes in the melody line to go along with the 3 - 4 basic chords. 😄  This could be more in the Praise&Worship category, too.

Amen!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Ds loves Sara Groves.

She's one of my favorites, but she might not be light listening--depends on the album and song. She's written songs about human trafficking, for instance. One of her lighter albums is Station Wagon, which has songs about parenting mostly. Some sappy, but even the sappy ones tend to be a bit funny. At least one is very silly. My kids like all her music as well. 

We listen to a ton of Michael Card--also not primarily praise music, some is light and some is not. If you do like his stuff, he has decades worth of material and will keep you going a long time. 🙂  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

Amen!

Bach is probably the all-time best "Christian" composers of all time. Definitely worth listen to! 😉  Just gets right to your soul and takes your breath away. Not necessarily what everyone would consider upbeat, though. Interpreted by a very talented American violinist in this example.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

On 10/23/2019 at 5:40 PM, Sneezyone said:

You don't find this playlist depressing? Maybe I'm biased b/c my grandma always played these when she was in a foul mood. She didn't like cleaning. LOL.

I usually only play the more up-beat songs for cleaning, because I need the energy, so maybe that helps.  Some really good gospel tunes make me cry, but not feel depressed, if that makes sense.  I find it kind of cathartic, I'm not usually a particularly emotional person.  

I don't know if there is any music I associate with anger from my family, the closest is my mom hates Tom Waits because of some bad thing that happened but I've never been let in on what it was.

• Like 1

If you like folksy sort of stuff, check out Bebo Norman. He is no longer making music, but we still listen to his old stuff.

For higher energy stuff I do like Toby Mac. 

I agree with the prior posters--Pandora is a great way to find new songs/artists you like. Sometimes I like just a few songs from a certain artist.

If you haven't heard "Is He Worthy?" by Andrew Peterson you absolutely must listen. 😃 It's not what I would call "upbeat" but you can't walk away from that song without being blessed to be reminded of the truth in the words.

On 10/23/2019 at 10:33 AM, myblessings4 said:

I like the old Amy Grant Collection.

What she said! You can just make Alexa choose for you if you have that set up. We've found songs we love by saying things like 'Alexa, play Italian Dinner music." or whatever theme we're looking for.

Edited by KungFuPanda